Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Seahawks at Colts Postgame Thoughts

EastStreet

This game went down exactly how I thought it would.  Did everyone forget the injuries and quarantines that ravaged this team all training camp?  This team needs 5-7 games to put it all together. Combine that with a tough opening schedule, they will look inferior at times.   It will all come together barring major injuries. This was always a fringe playoff regardless of the injuries and I have my sights set on next year for a deep run.  For now, weekly improvement is what I’m looking for even if we lose. 

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, ColtTerp said:

Biggest concern should be the coaching decisions. I really though Reich turned the corner by not going for it that first drive but obviously he couldn’t help himself. 2 dumbs calls not taking the points completely changed the dynamic of the game. He isn’t learning he is getting worse. O line and secondary were terrible. 

No. Not going for it on the 1st drive was a bad decision. And it would have been a bad decision later in the game too. You cannot judge a decision by the end result on such small samples. 

1.  Apparently, having the best ever NFL LG doesn't mean anything.  No impact.  Big yawn.

2.  In a 43 C2, your big money LB needs to be the MIKE, not the WILL, because a second round rookie LB can get 5 tackles a game at WILL, just like Leonard did as a rookie.

3.  Why isn't Al Woods here?  Failed somebody's "age" analytics model?  LOL.

4.  How long as it been since we had a Corner like a healthy Vontae Davis?

5.  Wentz, Pascal, and Strauchan look nice.  But then again, other teams cast-offs and pass-bys often play better for us than our own high draft picks.

6. Poor Frank.  Has to work miracles to get much out of this backwards roster when we face playoff caliber teams, but he controls too much of the O.  Hope the OC hire can someday show that he's deserving and won't just hold a clip board. 

7.  Paye looked good for his first game.

But this list could change by next week.  LOL.

7 minutes ago, SOMDColtsfan said:

Wentz looked lethargic. O Line looked "over hyped". Pass rush was improved. Secondary looked too "Colt like"

Wentz was hit almost 20 times and sacked 4. Our WR did virtually nothing today. Taylor and Hines did nothing. What do you expect when your Oline are getting beat by 3-4 man rushes all day and not letting you have time to do anything? Seriously. I don’t get what some of you are thinking or watching. Brady and Rodgers would have had problems with our line today. 

My takeaways:

1. Wentz played well (102 passer rating) considering him getting hit on 36.5% of drop backs.

2. Taylor looked rusty

3. Serious question marks about how bad Kelly and Smith played

4. Cornerback Blitzes in the 1st half hurt us.

5. Strachan surprised and made some great catches

6. Pascal stepped up with TY gone.

8. Pray that Fisher plays next week

9. Missed tackles hurt us a lot on Defense

10. Overall it was Bad execution on Offense and Defense 

7 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Sorry, but he was, and is, a better option than AQM who started. Lewis, who was expected to be the heir apparent, didn't see much of him... 

Being better than AQM doesn't mean that it was a mistake to let Autry go.

Drafting Paye and Dayo was about upgrading the defensive line and not simply replacing Autry and Houston.

Good teams lose good/solid/productive players like Autry every year. You have to be able to replace them.

At no point while watching this game did I go, if only we still had Autry. The entire team stunk and he wouldn't have changed that today.

I say all this as someone who liked what Autry gave the Colts. I'm not trying to hate on the guy I just think some make him out to be some type of difference maker that he isn't.

If we are going to look at the results of the Colts game today to determine whether or not they miss Autry the results of the game he did play in today should be considered too.

8 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Wentz was hit almost 20 times and sacked 4. Our WR did virtually nothing today. Taylor and Hines did nothing. What do you expect when your Oline are getting beat by 3-4 man rushes all day and not letting you have time to do anything? Seriously. I don’t get what some of you are thinking or watching. Brady and Rodgers would have had problems with our line today. 

Some people think this is Madden. Back in the day I had a Madden code where Peyton couldn't be tackled. Players would bounce off of him and he was running like a turtle lmao . I had a 99 yard TD run with him and it took like a minute with players bouncing off of him :banana: 

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

The Bills lost to the Steelers at home today lol. The good thing about this game is it was a NFC team and the Titans lost.  But going on the road for 3 straight games after next week puts next week into a must win.

even if the colts lose and the titans win next week colts will have a chance in week 3 to be tied with the titans .

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

The Bills lost to the Steelers at home today lol. The good thing about this game is it was a NFC team and the Titans lost.  But going on the road for 3 straight games after next week puts next week into a must win.

If we beat Tennessee all will be well especially with them losing today. That helps my mood. I am really shocked Buffalo lost.

I thought that Jonathan Taylor was OK. I'm expecting him to have a good season. 

Strachan will be an important part of the offense.

Wentz played quite well. It wasn't his fault that he didn't get much protection. He made some nice throws and he didn't show any sign of being recently injured. 

Fisher needs to come back asap!

Only the first game but it's ironic that Houston is in 1st place. 

All the hype about Julio Jones going to the Titans, and he didn't make an impact. Neither did Autry. 

38 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Regarding Reich, the only thing I didn't like about his play calling was he never had Wentz throw deep to Pittman. That had to do with our O.Line playing like doo doo though. Rams D is even better, looks like an 0-2 start but if we can beat Tennessee and win our division games this season will be a success.

Play calling was stinky doo doo like the OL. No adjustments. 

Still listening to the local radio guys... decent amount of play calling talk... on both sides of the ball

51 minutes ago, IndySouthsider said:

Paris had a nice catch, but I don’t see much impact for where he was drafted. 

Feels like a team still in preseason mode. Which, big picture, is really not a big deal.

Our o-line looked like crap the few few games last year.  I guess with all the injuries this Preseason is no surprise.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If we beat Tennessee all will be well especially with them losing today. That helps my mood. I am really shocked Buffalo lost.

the bucs got blown out week 1 last year and won the super bowl it happens .  patriots got blown out by alex smith and the chiefs the year they won the super bowl .   every thing is fixable we will see

3 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

the bucs got blown out week 1 last week and won the super bowl it happens .  patriots got blown out by alex smith and the chiefs the year they won the super bowl .   every thing is fixable we will see

Of course, we will improve too.

KC is losing 15-3 to the Browns at Arrowhead, What GIF by Beauty and the Geek Australiatoday

34 minutes ago, MarquisJ said:

Was asking myself would Anthony Waller miss those tackles Bobby did? O line was awful, defense with 40 takeaways this year? Yeah right.. Oddly enough rock played the best out of all the DBs.. Before the Darius forced fumble he was playing some of the worst football I’ve seen him play. Bright side is Jags and Titans lost and Carson was the best player on the colts today.

Walker will miss an occasion T, but not like what we saw today.

Rock looked good. One of the bright spots.

30 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

This sums it up.

Amen

30 minutes ago, ar7 said:

Yeah that's true, the time wasn't there today so it's unlikely TY would have changed things today.

I was hopeful that with Wentz at QB instead of Rivers we would see TY used differently (and better) this year compared to last. 

I do hope when the OL gets back to form, we start testing deeper. 

35 minutes ago, MarquisJ said:

Was asking myself would Anthony Walker miss those tackles Bobby did? O line was awful, defense with 40 takeaways this year? Yeah right.. Oddly enough rock played the best out of all the DBs.. Before the Darius forced fumble he was playing some of the worst football I’ve seen him play. Bright side is Jags and Titans lost and Carson was the best player on the colts today.

All the worry about Wentz and he was good, given that he had to worry about his head being detached from his body every play. Ballard won’t zip it about winning games in the trenches and his team got its hat handed to it in the trenches. Impossible to watch this game and conclude the Colts are well coached. Ballard is now 32-33 and no I don’t care Luck retired. 

29 minutes ago, DougDew said:

1.  Apparently, having the best ever NFL LG doesn't mean anything.  No impact.  Big yawn.

2.  In a 43 C2, your big money LB needs to be the MIKE, not the WILL, because a second round rookie LB can get 5 tackles a game at WILL, just like Leonard did as a rookie.

3.  Why isn't Al Woods here?  Failed somebody's "age" analytics model?  LOL.

4.  How long as it been since we had a Corner like a healthy Vontae Davis?

5.  Wentz, Pascal, and Strauchan look nice.  But then again, other teams cast-offs and pass-bys often play better for us than our own high draft picks.

6. Poor Frank.  Has to work miracles to get much out of this backwards roster when we face playoff caliber teams, but he controls too much of the O.  Hope the OC hire can someday show that he's deserving and won't just hold a clip board. 

7.  Paye looked good for his first game.

But this list could change by next week.  LOL.

Sirianni called a great game today.. Did we keep the wrong guy lol

25 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Cant help but think some of these slow starting defensive issues would be fixed if these guys would actually play some preseason. 

props to him for throwing himself under the bus and all... but just play better... missed Ts and blown coverage today... 

this was Kenny's mulligan game... 

23 minutes ago, ar7 said:

Being better than AQM doesn't mean that it was a mistake to let Autry go.

Drafting Paye and Dayo was about upgrading the defensive line and not simply replacing Autry and Houston.

Good teams lose good/solid/productive players like Autry every year. You have to be able to replace them.

At no point while watching this game did I go, if only we still had Autry. The entire team stunk and he wouldn't have changed that today.

I say all this as someone who liked what Autry gave the Colts. I'm not trying to hate on the guy I just think some make him out to be some type of difference maker that he isn't.

If we are going to look at the results of the Colts game today to determine whether or not they miss Autry the results of the game he did play in today should be considered too.

I'm OK with our drafting of Paye and Dayo. I've been wanting DEs for years....

That said, we let our two starting DEs walk, and only drafted one that could help this year.

We tried to keep Autry, but per reports, cheaped out over a little bit of money.

17 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

I don't wanna hear people blame wentz for this 350 total yards 2 touchdowns zero picks .   without training camp and preseason with  a new team he looked solid .  you can tell his foot still hurts by the way he ran .  he looked slow and was running gingerly and not scrambling as much as he usually does .

Played well, was already hurt, and his OL sucked.... anyone blaming him is just a Wentz hater, or trying to shift blame from OL or coaching.

17 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

The entire tackling problem could be solved with more preseason snaps. The defense looks like this every year.

Did all teams have the same bad tackling?

5 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Turns out it wasn’t out corners that got burnt it was our safeties.

I called it... 

I expected we would lose. Had 23-17 Seahawks. Ironically our biggest questionmark, Wentz, was the best player on O, he just didn't have any help.

1) Wentz was better than I expected.

2) WR group showed us who they are - average.

3) RB were solid check-down targets, but couldn't run the ball.

4) Reich didn't have the guys ready.

5) Bad playcalling on O.

6) Bad playcalling on D.

7) Oline showed they haven't had time to gel in TC. They still need a verbal beating for this performance though - horrible.

8) We NEED a secondary.

The thing that makes me mad is we start the game well on offense then Reich totally falls apart with what looked to be no game plan. Thing thing happened against Jax game one last year. We started that game on fire and drive right down the field. Then we fell apart. If you go back to the end of the 2018 season and the playoff game that year the same thing happen. We almost blew leads in both games.

Archived