Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Seahawks at Colts Postgame Thoughts

EastStreet

9 minutes ago, IndySouthsider said:

Paris had a nice catch, but I don’t see much impact for where he was drafted. 

Feels like a team still in preseason mode. Which, big picture, is really not a big deal.

I didn't care for the way PC was used. Keep in mind he moved with TY being out. Will need to see the snap counts, but thought he needed more snaps.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

- These last few months have been a worse case scenario for the offense. A good portion of the oline players have been injured and not practicing with each other for extended periods of time due to injuries/covid. Wentz didn't look to pass much to the WRs today, but that seems like that was the game plan due to the offense not having played much with each other in general yet. If Wentz had a full offseason/TC tossing it to these guys already then I think we would have been more aggressive there then we were so hopefully that picks up.

- Our Defense in the first half was god awful. Missing Rhodes sucked because I don't think Eberflus trusts any of the other CBs to play man to man, and our safeties just played the deep ball horribly. They stepped it up in the third quarter, but they've always had a propensity to start off games poorly, which has to improve if they actually want to be considered a contender. Leonard had a pretty bad game besides the FF.

- Despite only having the one week to practice, Carson had a decent game when Davenport or Smith didn't just release a DE on him. It also proves that this offense really is only going to go as far as the o-line takes them, especially in the run game. Adding Fisher and hopefully getting that cohesion/practice with each other with more of an emphasis on the run game in the upcoming game should help them get back to speed. I'm frankly more concerned about the Defense then the offense just due to the fact that I know our o-line has the talent/ability to turn it around to how they played last year.

- The crowd was disappointing today too. Seemed like there were more Seahawk fans at the game at times really...

10 minutes ago, ar7 said:

Well, that was difficult to watch.

My thoughts:

• We saw the mobility that Wentz brings which this team didn't have last year. Unfortunately, we saw it too much which leads into the next thought.
  • The offensive line stunk today and not just Davenport. They couldn't protect Wentz and didn't allow the run game to get going. If this team is going to have any success then the offensive line must be much better. Eric Fisher entering the lineup isn't going to fix what we saw today.
  • I think we saw where we miss TY. He gives them a deep threat that they could have used.
  • I expect WIlson and those receivers to make some plays but it was just too easy for them today.
  • Defense couldn't stop the run and gave up too many big passing plays.

I agree. Seeing players like Kelly and Smith getting beat so easily was infuriating. At one stage, Mone went straight by Kelly and nearly killed Wentz. Smith gave up the most humiliating sack. We pay these guys top dollar and they atrocious today. Unacceptable.

1 minute ago, John Waylon said:

I just didn’t expect our offensive line to get their * absolutely spanked play after play after play after play. I didn’t expect them to be the best unit in the league at this stage, but today was a shocker. That was Grigson era throwback stuff. 

The shocking thing is that the guy who looked the best in the offense today was the guy who had the biggest excuse to struggle today in Wentz.  The offense needs a lot of work.  Play calling didn’t help but most of their issue came up front and I am hoping that’s because too many guys missed time in camp and the pre-season to jell and it will improve in time.

Just now, EastStreet said:

I didn't care for the way PC was used. Keep in mind he moved with TY being out. Will need to see the snap counts, but thought he needed more snaps.

Regarding Reich, the only thing I didn't like about his play calling was he never had Wentz throw deep to Pittman. That had to do with our O.Line playing like doo doo though. Rams D is even better, looks like an 0-2 start but if we can beat Tennessee and win our division games this season will be a success.

2 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

I agree. Seeing players like Kelly and Smith getting beat so easily was infuriating. At one stage, Mone went straight by Kelly and nearly killed Wentz. Smith gave up the most humiliating sack. We pay these guys top dollar and they atrocious today. Unacceptable.

ALL players have bad games at times.  I need to see them be this bad in several games before calling paying them a mistake.  

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Regarding Reich, the only thing I didn't like about his play calling was he never had Wentz throw deep to Pittman. That had to do with our O.Line playing like doo doo though. Rams D is even better, looks like an 0-2 start but if we can beat Tennessee and win our division games this season will be a success.

Next week is a different week.  We know the Colts have the talent up front to be better than they were today and it’s not uncommon when a good unit like the Colts o-line plays poorly they come out and play like monsters the next week.  So let’s hope that’s what happens.  

10 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Defense can’t keep playing awful one half and good a second half.  We saw that way too much last year and saw it again today.  Willis was awful in the first half.  I’d say the Colts were a little scared of Metcalf and Lockett but when they didn’t play scared of them they burned them so I think they played them the right way most of the game.  The guys just have to play better.

Really can't say they played well at all.... Team that are up go conservative and make our D look better than they are.

The line is an issue and it wasn’t all at LT.  So Fisher returning alone won’t fix everything.  I think too many guys missed too much time in the pre-season for them to jell.

Smith and Kelly looked like they mailed it in... very disappointed in both

Local radio guys are killing them about the OL. 

Frank’s play calling was just awful today.  Not running at all when down two scores when there was tones of time left letting them Seahawks t off on Wentz.  When he would run it was in the most obvious situations with the most obvious plays.  I like Hines but way too much of him and not enough of Taylor.  Colts kept going for the play action even though they hadn’t run enough to set it up and it didn’t fool the Seahawks at all.  Not every pass can be a dump off but I will when the line doesn’t block you can’t go down the field even if you want too.  

The play calling at then was what it was.  They were clearly trying to just not Wentz take shots for taking shots.  

Frank has to learn to take the points.  He’s too aggressive on fourth down at times.  Had they kicked at least one of those field goals they probably go for one on the second TD and it’s 28-20 and it’s different game at the end.

I don't see Frank learning from this.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

ALL players have bad games at times.  I need to see them be this bad in several games before calling paying them a mistake.  

I'm not saying it was a mistake to pay them. I'm saying they're performances today were no where near what you would expect from a the highest paid center in the league and a Top 3 paid RT. 

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

The shocking thing is that the guy who looked the best in the offense today was the guy who had the biggest excuse to struggle today in Wentz.  The offense needs a lot of work.  Play calling didn’t help but most of their issue came up front and I am hoping that’s because too many guys missed time in camp and the pre-season to jell and it will improve in time.

Agreed. I saw exactly what I wanted to see from him today. He made some good throws, good reads. No egregious errors even in spite of everyone around him coming up short. I still continue to overall disapprove of the way Frank calls games. If Wentz had the line playing like they did for Rivers last year it would have been a noticeably different game. 

I said coming in the line and how quickly they would get up to speed would be the big determining factor of this season. So far it checks out. :dunno:

Just now, Colt Overseas said:

I'm not saying it was a mistake to pay them. I'm saying they're performances today were no where near what you would expect from a the highest paid center in the league and a Top 3 paid RT. 

No it’s not and that’s fair.  I am assuming today will be an exception though.

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Russell Wilson will make a lot teams look bad. I am more concerned about our O.line than anything, even more than the secondary. Wentz needs protection, without it we are screwed.

It's OK for me if Wilson looks good against smart play calling..

It's not OK for me when Wilson looks elite because we do stupid things.

Biggest concern should be the coaching decisions. I really though Reich turned the corner by not going for it that first drive but obviously he couldn’t help himself. 2 dumbs calls not taking the points completely changed the dynamic of the game. He isn’t learning he is getting worse. O line and secondary were terrible. 

8 minutes ago, Nate! said:

Wentz being unvaccinated cost him precious practice time and ultimately the Colts the game today.  Just wasn’t in sync this week.

It had nothing to do with the horrible offensive line play and questionable play calling and missing most of training camp with injury. I didn't know if the Qb was vaccinated it made everybody on the team better and the coaches. Geesh

2 minutes ago, ColtTerp said:

Biggest concern should be the coaching decisions. I really though Reich turned the corner by not going for it that first drive but obviously he couldn’t help himself. 2 dumbs calls not taking the points completely changed the dynamic of the game. He isn’t learning he is getting worse. O line and secondary were terrible. 

Frank had issues today I agree with that but I think the much bigger issue is that both lines got owned today.

14 minutes ago, stitches said:

Unless Kwity Paye turns into one, 5 years into Ballard's management, we have no starting level DE, no long-term starting level outside corner and no long-term starting outside receiver(Strachan is probably our best chance at one... People were killing me here when I was saying Pittman has never shown ability to beat man coverage outside... neither has Campbell BTW).

I've been saying... Let Strachan handle X. Let Pittman move inside to slot... And keep PC as motion Z.... 

We don't toss enough up historically down the sideline to really say anyone can't beat man coverage. That hasn't been Reich's thing.

Was asking myself would Anthony Waller miss those tackles Bobby did? O line was awful, defense with 40 takeaways this year? Yeah right.. Oddly enough rock played the best out of all the DBs.. Before the Darius forced fumble he was playing some of the worst football I’ve seen him play. Bright side is Jags and Titans lost and Carson was the best player on the colts today.

14 minutes ago, Nate! said:

Wentz being unvaccinated cost him precious practice time and ultimately the Colts the game today.  Just wasn’t in sync this week.

I don’t know what you were expecting of Wentz today but by far he had the best game of anyone on offense today.  This screams you wanting to rail on him for not being vaccinated than really about how he played today.  I wish he was vaccinated too but it was not a factor in his performance today. Honestly he exceeded my expectations today given how little time he had mostly due to his foot.  

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

It’s bad the same things are still showing up for this team. A coach that doesn’t understand game flow and a defensive coordinator that can only coach one half of football.

The lack of WR involvement is puzzling. The dink and dunk wasn’t working the entire second half and we barely took any deep passes in the game. 

Positives:

1) Carson Wentz was very solid (minus the awful fumbled snap). I would say a near flawless game from him given the game plan, but I’ll get to that in the negatives of course. 
2) Strachan was also a highlight. He caught some passes that were not perfectly thrown due to pressure. It was great to see him keeping drives alive by making those solid catches. 
3) Darius Leonard made a game changing play! It didn’t matter because we didn’t score, but our defensive star did what he was paid so much to do. 
4) I’m running out of pros… uh special teams did their jobs today…

Negatives

1) O line lost us this game. Everyone it seemed besides big Q and maybe Glowinski blew a block on every other play. Wentz had no time, drives were killed. Sad sad performance up front. 
2) Coaching as a whole showed no game sense. Very few evident adjustments if any. Our D played better 2nd half but it didn’t seem coach-related. 
3) Why were we running the ball to close out quarters? Don’t we want points? It seemed odd and out of place, and felt like we were playing for first downs, not touchdowns. 
4) First half defense was not what I was expecting from this team. They had to face Russell Wilson but still were not even tackling well. 

Bad news

1. People will over react, as usual.

2. Seattle is a very good team. That defense looks much improved. 

3. We got our * whipped up front on both sides of the ball. Which was a big surprise to me, I definitely thought we would control the LOS on both sides. 

4. Coaching. Frank Reich is horrible at creating gameplans. It seems we fall behind early, constantly. His in game adjustment are better, but he didnt have any to improve protection up front today

And I dont know what Eberflus was thinking but sending his best cover guy on the blitz in a game where hes facing those receivers without his 2nd best cover guy on the field, was ill advised and basically gifted Seattle 14 points. Khari Willis covering Lockett 1 on 1 is just asking for trouble. And he did it again after he got burned the 1st time. Just dumb. 

5. Our receivers are not the problem. The Colts didnt lose this game because of the lack of talent at receiver.....they lost it because they didnt do what they are built to do well, nearly well enough. 

Good news 

1. Carson looked good to me, despite being under constant duress. He never got careless with the ball, despite the fumble which wasnt entirely his fault. 

2. Mike Strachan made a few tough catches. I think he will be a much bigger part of the offense by the end of the year.

3. We should get Fisher and X back next week. And hopefully Braden Smith is *, as he should be, and plays much, much better going forward as well. 

4. Tennessee also got thumped.

5.. Its a long season and its only week one. I felt like we responded after the half and couldve potentially won this game with some better coaching decisions and better blocking upfront. Not the end of the world but it's definitely a bummer.

8 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Next week is a different week.  We know the Colts have the talent up front to be better than they were today and it’s not uncommon when a good unit like the Colts o-line plays poorly they come out and play like monsters the next week.  So let’s hope that’s what happens.  

We have to play much better than today to beat a good team like Rams. Stafford will eat us alive if our secondary doesn't show up. Donald and his D.line will bully us if we play like this week. It is odd though that our O.Line would lay a stinker, they rarely do.

17 minutes ago, Nate! said:

LOL... that's hot take garbage... Wentz played better than most of his team mates today... 

he played a lot better than Smith and Kelly.... 

JT and Hines didn't run well either...

The DL didn' t play well.

The LB and DBs didn't play well..

The coaches didn't coach well... 

So what is the reason for all that.... 

17 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Agree with all but the TY comment... We didn't have the time really to let deep plays set up today. And Reich last year really didn't let TY run a lot of go routes.

Yeah that's true, the time wasn't there today so it's unlikely TY would have changed things today.

I was hopeful that with Wentz at QB instead of Rivers we would see TY used differently (and better) this year compared to last. 

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We have to play much better than today to beat a good team like Rams. Stafford will eat us alive if our secondary doesn't show up. Donald and his D.line will bully us if we play like this week. It is odd though that our O.Line would lay a stinker, they rarely do.

I really think it’s a result of so many guys missing just too much time in camp.  They haven’t jelled.  It’ll come in time I am sure.  Next week hopefully.  If not they will be in big trouble next week.  

Just now, ar7 said:

Yeah that's true, the time wasn't there today so it's unlikely TY would have changed things today.

I was hopeful that with Wentz at QB instead of Rivers we would see TY used differently (and better) this year compared to last. 

I think we will if the oline gives him 2.5 seconds to get the ball out

20 minutes ago, ar7 said:

I guess you are not considering the results of the Titans-Cardinals game today with this statement.

Autry is solid but he isn't a difference maker. He wouldn't have solved the problems the Colts had today.

Sorry, but he was, and is, a better option than AQM who started. Lewis, who was expected to be the heir apparent, didn't see much of him... 

Archived