Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Seahawks at Colts Postgame Thoughts


EastStreet
 Share

Recommended Posts

1.  We are a poorly constructed team with most of our talent in positions that don’t matter as much as EDGE and Wr.  We can’t get open and we can’t create pressure.

 

2.  Our receiver talent isn’t good enough and seems to be poorly drafted.

 

3.  The o line hasn’t practiced and is in crisis.  Why Brad Smith got whipped by a guy like that is concerning.  Even if he recovers they don’t have a NFL caliber left tackle.

 

4.  Our secondary is a disaster.  Poorly drafted.

 

5.  Darius Leonard can’t guard a parked car.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

I just want to see improvement from Reich over the course of the year. I don't want him gone. He's got his QB locked up for a few years. I think it's fair to think/want our O to be more dynamic the 2nd half of the season. My beef is primarily with the same stuff happening over and over... 

listen East.  For all we know, Frank might have been calling Fonzy’s plays from Waterboy.  Most of the plays broke down before Weantz set his feet.

 

there is nothing you can call when you can’t block any better than that.  They threw 15 times to backs.  That receiving Corps isn’t even mediocre.  Once you get that kind of pressure it’s just backyard football.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Purely my opinion, but I think 3 things are in play here.

 

First, our 4-3 is really a 4-2-5 most of the time. Our MLB isn't just a MLB. Both LBs are asked to do a lot. The NB and SSs are both shallow often on the flats to help, but both LBs are asked to cover and be a hoover (tackles). 

 

Second, folks underestimated Walker's strengths (vs the run), and harped on his pass D deficiencies. 

 

Third, we gambled that Oke, who struggled vs the run in college, would develop. 

 

What we found out in year one, was that a Walker/Oke combo was effective with Walker playing early downs and Oke on passing downs. Oke's passing grades weren't that much better than Walker's. Then last year, we started playing Oke more snaps, and we ignored the run struggles thinking he only needed more snaps. Maybe he will turn the corner, but he got exposed this week. Only time will tell, but not looking good right now. He's never been good in traffic, and he's has to, if he's going to be a 3 down MIKE for us.

Why cant we do the same combo again with Zaire Franklin? I mean i thought thats what all the offseason rumors were leaning towards. Same setup just with Franklin at Mike on run downs. Thats where i think they will eventually end up at.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1) I can't stand how after the first 10-15 scripted plays, the offense usually falls off a cliff - where's the in-game adjustments?  

2) Our lack of secondary depth is alarming - Rhodes out, all the sudden nobody not named Moore can play? 

3) Grover Stewart got manhandled today 

4) The way the safeties let Lockett get behind them was unacceptable 

5) The O-line was really bad yes, but Wentz held the ball way too long for the way that O-Line got pushed around. Sometimes it was him not seeing receivers, but where's the play calling help with quick slants, TE chips, more screens? 

6) I really can't stand it when they run the ball 3x in a row. Reich's play calling is more than suspect.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

1) I can't stand how after the first 10-15 scripted plays, the offense usually falls off a cliff - where's the in-game adjustments?  

2) Our lack of secondary depth is alarming - Rhodes out, all the sudden nobody not named Moore can play? 

3) Grover Stewart got manhandled today 

4) The way the safeties let Lockett get behind them was unacceptable 

5) The O-line was really bad yes, but Wentz held the ball way too long for the way that O-Line got pushed around. Sometimes it was him not seeing receivers, but where's the play calling help with quick slants, TE chips, more screens? 

6) I really can't stand it when they run the ball 3x in a row. Reich's play calling is more than suspect.

 

Moore was one of the worst players yesterday. Our safeties were so bad because they decided to blitz more then usual.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Nickster said:

1.  We are a poorly constructed team with most of our talent in positions that don’t matter as much as EDGE and Wr.  We can’t get open and we can’t create pressure.

 

2.  Our receiver talent isn’t good enough and seems to be poorly drafted.

 

3.  The o line hasn’t practiced and is in crisis.  Why Brad Smith got whipped by a guy like that is concerning.  Even if he recovers they don’t have a NFL caliber left tackle.

 

4.  Our secondary is a disaster.  Poorly drafted.

 

5.  Darius Leonard can’t guard a parked car.

It's hard to believe that in today's NFL, we're ok with the secondary and receiving core being the worst units on the team. At least we addressed DL in the draft. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Willis was bad. Rock and Carrie were actually ok.

Willis isn't a C2 safety and never will be.  He's more suited to be a complimentary box safety to then deep FS Hooker, not to have his own deep responsibilities.   He's playing there now out of necessity, because we have no S with any deep play ability.

 

I advocated trading Willis and Oke during that time we were negotiating with Philly for Wentz....because Willis is not a 43 S and Oke is not a 43 MIKE, throw in Lewis too. 

 

The coaches likely protected Rock and Carrie by not playing so much deep-ish man coverage.  SEA more directly exposed our safeties.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3rd down defense might as well just puut a swinging gate out there.  It tightened up a little more in the second half, but then you give up a including a yard TD to put the game out of reach in the middle of the 4th quarter.

 

Wentz looked fine.  Check down Chuck for most the game though.  4.1 intended air yards per attempt (via pro football reference, 5.7 if looking at next gen stats which puts him toward bottom of league), which is nothign to write home about.  Wish we could have seen Mack a little more but the line was so bad it likely wouldn't have mattered.

 

It's one game and while I am not hitting the panic button yet, I'm not seeing a team that can make a deep playoff run.  They've got time to prove me wrong, but with the tough schedule, can't limp your way into a division title.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, eaglerockdude said:

Noodle -arm was better.

To be fair he played worse then wentz in week 1 last year against a mediocre jags defense . Threw 2 horrible picks giving the game away . At one point rivers had more picks than touchdowns through the first couple games . It takes time to gel with a new team .

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

After re-watching the game, here are my takeaways:

 

1. The Seahawks were much better than we gave them credit for, especially on both sides of the line. They completely dominated the trenches. On offense, we couldn't run the ball, which completely screwed up Reich's offensive game plan. It led to undesirable third down situations, and the Seattle D-line manhandled our O-line on passing plays. It was a Seattle party in our backfield every play, and Wentz paid the price.

 

2. The tackling. Seattle's tackling was amazing. They hardly ever missed a tackle, making every yard gained a challenge for the Colts offense. However, the Colts were below average at tackling and allowed Seattle to run with nearly a 7-yard average. 

 

3. Our D-line did not create much pressure. They did not stay within their lanes on run plays and the ends did not contain the edges. Basically, Seattle could choose to run for 7 yards per attempt or throw for 9 yards per attempt.

 

4. Wilson had nearly as many TDs (4 TDs) as incompletions, (5 incompletions).

 

5. There are simply too many issues for it to all get fixed in one week.

    a) We were physically dominated. We can't get stronger in just 1 week, but we can get a little better in technique.

    b) We may get Fisher back, which may improve some of the run issues and pass blocking issues, but the entire O-line was being abused. Not just Davenport. 

   c) We may get Rhodes back, which may improve our CBs, but the safeties were being burned on the long passing plays.

   d) Their tight-ends were getting open too easy -- on short passing plays and plays over 20-yards. This has been an issue forever.

 

Without a doubt our focus during the preseason was to get to game 1 with a relatively healthy roster. That's understandable with all of the weird foot injuries that we had all at once. But, we were not ready. We were all finesse and we got destroyed by a team that was prepared to fight. 

 

Lastly, the coaching was not good. With 3 minutes left in the game, on 4th and 2  and down by 11, you have to go for the field goal. Had we made the field goal, we would have been down by 8,  a 1-possession game. That gives you a chance. Instead, it was game over when it didn't need to be. This was evidenced by Reich electing to run the ball twice with less than 2 minutes left in the game. He had conceded due to his prior bad decisions.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Even with the uninspiring play on both sides of the ball, if we had kicked those 2 fields goals and the extra point we are within one score in the fourth quarter which gives you a chance to win.

 

I was not impressed with the O line or the run defense.  The Seattle receivers got behind our defense several times which is a problem also.  

 

I was pretty happy with the way Wentz played given the pressure he was under.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Myles said:

3rd and 3 and our smallest RB gets the carry up the middle then we turn it over on 4th down.   Why does Reich do this?

I am guessing this is audible again.  Go up to the line see a deep shell, check to the run. We are supposed to be able to block this. 

 

I don't like it.  Don't like the go for here nor do I usually like to see a run on that long of a 4th unless we are running well.

Dirty little secret though.  Taylor hasn't been a very effective short yardage back yet.  He gets dancy, and still lacks vision.  Even though we sucked yesterday, it was very frustrating to seem him so indecisive.  At some point, you've got to lower that head and go pick up 3 or 4.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, shasta519 said:


Walker was just bad last year though. Too slow in the pass and run game.

 

The Oke hype this offseason was puzzling after what we saw last season. I hope he figures it out.
 

My “bold” prediction about LBs being a weakness was on full display today unfortunately. That has to change because I don’t see the secondary being much of a strength, at least not until they have a healthy Rhodes.

Walker was good, we missed him Toughness yesterday, Okkareke is not tough, he played just as I feared he would, would much rather see Adam’s or Franklin at least both of those guys will smack you in the mouth!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First, the Colts had quite a challenging camp. Two main players had surgery during camp! They beat all odds and make it back for the opener. The field general on D missed a lot of time. Quenton is dealing with some pain, the LT struggled,  general oline cohesion was not there for the final 3 quarters. Not an excuse, but simply an explanation. The team is still gelling. 

 

Colts first drive....the offense looked just how I hoped to see. Loved that Wentz's first throw was a first down to Strachan. Shade of things to come. Taylor looked good. After that drive, the oline issues cascaded to the whole offense, and they struggled. Nice thing was seeing Carson looked unfazed in the face of pretty tough pressure. The bad thing is, see Carson whacked like that. He needs more time. Hines looked like the contract he was paid. He is hard to defend. 

 

I agreed with Franks conservative play calling at first to get Carson reacclimated, but the oline had too many mistakes to let him truly find his timing once the playing calling loosened and he started to let it rip. 

 

The D is still gelling, but Defo is still a MAN. Minus that one stupid play where they let a WR get behind the D, they would have only allowed 2 TD's in the first half, and one in the second. Against Russell, that is not too shabby of a first game. 

 

I expect to see improvement next week, overreaction this week, and the usual here goes on............

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, shasta519 said:


Walker was just bad last year though. Too slow in the pass and run game.

 

The Oke hype this offseason was puzzling after what we saw last season. I hope he figures it out.
 

My “bold” prediction about LBs being a weakness was on full display today unfortunately. That has to change because I don’t see the secondary being much of a strength, at least not until they have a healthy Rhodes.

Their overall PFF grades were about the same, so if Walker was bad, so was Oke. Keep in mind it was Walker who took over WILL when Leonard was out 3 games too, which I think likely pulled his grades down a bit. 

 

I agree AW is not a good fit for Indy's D as a 3 down MIke, but not sure Oke is the answer either if yesterday or last year is any indication.  

 

Personally, I think both are as I described. Walker had a typical Walker day yesterday. Led the team in Ts, and suspect vs the pass. Oke was really bad though. IMO, worst game I've seen from him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Nickster said:

listen East.  For all we know, Frank might have been calling Fonzy’s plays from Waterboy.  Most of the plays broke down before Weantz set his feet.

 

there is nothing you can call when you can’t block any better than that.  They threw 15 times to backs.  That receiving Corps isn’t even mediocre.  Once you get that kind of pressure it’s just backyard football.  

 

One thing a coach can do, once you see your QB getting smacked on a regular basis, is leave a back in to help.

Reich didn't. He just played make believe like it wasn't happening and Wentz continued to get pelted. 10 or more QBHs... 

 

ForTheColture hit on the topic. 

 

Your disdain for the receiving corp, especially after a game when Wentz was a piñata, is pretty hot-take-ish. The RBs passes were a safety valve reaction to the pressure that was happening. It had nothing to do with the WRs. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, krunk said:

Why cant we do the same combo again with Zaire Franklin? I mean i thought thats what all the offseason rumors were leaning towards. Same setup just with Franklin at Mike on run downs. Thats where i think they will eventually end up at.

I actually suggested it's something we might see later in the year. Might happen sooner than later given what we saw yesterday. Something needs to happen though lol. Either Oke needs to turn the corner, or we need to go back to a time share. And not saying it's all LB or Oke, but our run D took a step back in game 1 big time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Nickster said:

I am guessing this is audible again.  Go up to the line see a deep shell, check to the run. We are supposed to be able to block this. 

 

I don't like it.  Don't like the go for here nor do I usually like to see a run on that long of a 4th unless we are running well.

Dirty little secret though.  Taylor hasn't been a very effective short yardage back yet.  He gets dancy, and still lacks vision.  Even though we sucked yesterday, it was very frustrating to seem him so indecisive.  At some point, you've got to lower that head and go pick up 3 or 4.


We also had a fresh Mack and Wilkins and didn’t even use them late even for a few snaps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I actually suggested it's something we might see later in the year. Might happen sooner than later given what we saw yesterday. Something needs to happen though lol. Either Oke needs to turn the corner, or we need to go back to a time share. And not saying it's all LB or Oke, but our run D took a step back in game 1 big time.

And i still think EJ Speed should be the one at Mike. Hes got all the tools and physicality to be a 3 down Mike. But they seem to like him better at Will. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just saw the defensive snap counts. Banogu only fot 6 snaps. What does that kid have to do to get more playing time. Seems coaches really don’t like him. With Turay out you would of thought he would get more. AQM and Lewis took most of the snaps along with Lewis.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

 

One thing a coach can do, once you see your QB getting smacked on a regular basis, is leave a back in to help.

Reich didn't. He just played make believe like it wasn't happening and Wentz continued to get pelted. 10 or more QBHs... 

 

ForTheColture hit on the topic. 

 

Your disdain for the receiving corp, especially after a game when Wentz was a piñata, is pretty hot-take-ish. The RBs passes were a safety valve reaction to the pressure that was happening. It had nothing to do with the WRs. 

We should of seen this all coming when Reich gave two interviews before the game and said the playbook wouldn’t be completely open yet.  I think I will try and stay positive and see if things progress the next couple games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, krunk said:

And i still think EJ Speed should be the one at Mike. Hes got all the tools and physicality to be a 3 down Mike. But they seem to like him better at Will. 

 

I love the "thought" of EJ, but frankly I haven't seen much. I have seen Franklin and Adams flash in preseason games and STs last year, so right now they're likely front runners. If EJ turns out to be the guy, I'd be very happy. And I wouldn't get too caught up in depth chart stuff when thinking position (at least with the LBs).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This was a preseason game for the veterans and coaches. Reich is responsible and better light a fire under his coaches. As for Ballard and his scouting team they need to scour through the wire for DB and S and LB. The defensive play calling exposed our weakness. (Either the players ran the wrong secondary plan or the coaches were out of their mind in having a safety cover Lockett.) Offensive Line was completely UNPREPARED from Left to Right. Marcus Brady never gave support to the LT. Why didn't he??? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

We should of seen this all coming when Reich gave two interviews before the game and said the playbook wouldn’t be completely open yet.  I think I will try and stay positive and see if things progress the next couple games.

Welp, next game will likely be uglier lol... Unless Fisher returns to glory lol.

 

TN maybe is slow getting things together, so perhaps some hope there?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Welp, next game will likely be uglier lol... Unless Fisher returns to glory lol.

 

TN maybe is slow getting things together, so perhaps some hope there?


Both could be 0-2 for that week 3 match up. I just don’t know if the Cardinals are very much improved or Titans have regressed. NFCW is no joke this year.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

 

I love the "thought" of EJ, but frankly I haven't seen much. I have seen Franklin and Adams flash in preseason games and STs last year, so right now they're likely front runners. If EJ turns out to be the guy, I'd be very happy. And I wouldn't get too caught up in depth chart stuff when thinking position (at least with the LBs).

Speed got hurt during camp. Im not sure if hes even back yet. He had a pretty good camp though before the injury.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, JediXMan said:


Both could be 0-2 for that week 3 match up. I just don’t know if the Cardinals are very much improved or Titans have regressed. NFCW is no joke this year.

My gut is AZ has improved. They've been slowly building, so they are bound to take a step forward. Many thought it would be last year. Maybe it's this year. Murray/Hopkins is a lethal combo on O for sure.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, krunk said:

Speed got hurt during camp. Im not sure if hes even back yet. He had a pretty good camp though before the injury.

Yup. I noted in the general injury thread that it was curiously silent on his injury situation and status. Not sure if it was because nobody was asking, or what.... 

 

He's got all the traits, just need to see something on the field. If he were ripe for taking on a bigger role though, one would think he'd get time as SAM first (like Oke).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...