Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL Rules for Covid 2021 / positive tests ( merge)

runthepost

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Set the time machine back to June/July of this year.

Imagine what if Aaron Rodgers said at that time, "No, I am not vaccinated.  I took Hydrochoroquin and Ivermectin.  My personal doctor says that as long as I take such and such a precaution, I do not need to wear a mask at the facility, and can travel on the team charter flights.  I have no intention whatsoever of following the NFL rules in this matter."

All at the same time that we were all wondering if he was going to rejoin the team at all, or retire because of being ticked off at the team for personnel moves.

Yeah, it would have been explosive.  The NFL would have leaned heavily on the team, and they would have had no choice but to make an ultimatum to Rodgers, risk his retirement For Real, or suffer league-sanctioned consequences.

Instead, "Yeah, I've been immunized" was good enough.  It calmed the flames, allowed their HOF quarterback to return to the team to make another run for the superbowl.  Everybody just pipe down.  He said words.  It'll be ok.  Don't rock the boat.  Don't draw attention.

Fast-forward to October 25.  What?  He tested positive?  What, he's not vaccinated?  What, he's not been masked?  What?  What?  What?

And now, both the NFL and the Packers have to do something.  Or be called hypocrites.

What are the odds that Rodgers does not return to the team after these next two games?

Rodgers is not going to return to the team?!?   

I haven’t read that anywhere.   The smartest people say he might be fined….  And the team might be fined.   I haven’t read much about suspension.   Not yet, at least. 

Now,  will this impact his decision about returning to Green Bay next season?   Possible.  These days anything is possible.  But this year,  I think he’ll finish the season with the Packers. 

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Rodgers is not going to return to the team?!?   

I haven’t read that anywhere.   The smartest people say he might be fined….  And the team might be fined.   I haven’t read much about suspension.   Not yet, at least. 

Now,  will this impact his decision about returning to Green Bay next season?   Possible.  These days anything is possible.  But this year,  I think he’ll finish the season with the Packers. 

You are right.  I saw on broadcast that, for the moment, this is only going to be taken care of with fines.  However, they said, that if he persists in going maskless after this, then there could be suspensions and even a draft pick taken away.

My wager of "what are the odds that he never returns" was also partially based on how pi$$y he was being during the off season.  And how it could carry over into this thing.

I think I'm gonna leave my chips in the middle and let it ride.

On 11/4/2021 at 8:48 PM, IndySouthsider said:

Did he lie about being vaccinated?

On 11/5/2021 at 7:24 PM, King Colt said:

Yes.

He said he was immunized, he never said one way or the other about the vax specifically.  

He might have had covid before and thought he was in the clear now

23 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

He said he was immunized, he never said one way or the other about the vax specifically.  

He might have had covid before and thought he was in the clear now

He deliberately twisted his words strongly suggesting he was vaccinated. Then he refused to wear a mask everywhere he went, on and off the field. Look at Wentz wearing his mask on the sideline then Rodgers not wearing a mask. 

3 minutes ago, King Colt said:

He deliberately twisted his words strongly suggesting he was vaccinated. Then he refused to wear a mask everywhere he went, on and off the field. Look at Wentz wearing his mask on the sideline then Rodgers not wearing a mask. 

Players who are not fully vaccinated will not be required to wear masks at outdoor practices or walkthroughs, but face coverings are still mandatory indoors and in weight rooms.

I'm just playing devils advocate. Not sure if he had any dome games this year. He said he doesn't get to train or do anything with his team-mates. He says he follows every protocol but had issue with the interview. We'll see that the NFL says 

21 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Players who are not fully vaccinated will not be required to wear masks at outdoor practices or walkthroughs, but face coverings are still mandatory indoors and in weight rooms.

I'm just playing devils advocate. Not sure if he had any dome games this year. He said he doesn't get to train or do anything with his team-mates. He says he follows every protocol but had issue with the interview. We'll see that the NFL says 

The Packers have treated Rodgers as an unvaccinated player, according to Ian Rapaport of the NFL Network. Under NFL protocols, unvaccinated players must wear masks at all times while indoors at team facilities and undergo daily testing. But Rodgers has been appearing at indoor press conferences with members of the media while not wearing a mask.

Rodgers also did not wear masks on the sidelines during preseason games even though his unvaccinated status would've required it under NFL protocols, according to ESPN.

6 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Can anyone explain why an unvaxed player has to be away from the team for 10 days,  and not be able to return to the team after 2 negative tests?    It doesn't make any sense

I believe it’s because you might test negative on Day 2 and again on Day 5, but still potentially test positive in Day 9 or 10.   That’s my understanding.  

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I believe it’s because you might test negative on Day 2 and again on Day 5, but still potentially test positive in Day 9 or 10.   That’s my understanding.  

That could be true for vaccinated players as well.   That's the confusing part

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think they NFL is trying to give vaccinated players a bit of a discount.   Or put another way, the Un-vaccinated get a penalty.   10 days vs 7. 

Ok, fair,    but if you test negative 2 days in a row why does it matter?   I get it,   I'm against any mandate.    The company I work for is a federal contractor.   I have to be vaccinated or lose my income.    I'm not gonna lose my income.    I'm not a multi millionaire.     Aaron is the reigning MVP of the league.    If he wants to get his point across,  he quirks l should refuse to play

45 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Ok, fair,    but if you test negative 2 days in a row why does it matter?   I get it,   I'm against any mandate.    The company I work for is a federal contractor.   I have to be vaccinated or lose my income.    I'm not gonna lose my income.    I'm not a multi millionaire.     Aaron is the reigning MVP of the league.    If he wants to get his point across,  he quirks l should refuse to play

Aaron pretty much said a lot of things in the protocol don't make sense. He says he tests everyday and has to sit in his vehicle and await his results. While unvaccinated can test and enter simultaneously. Then can then sit and eat with other teammates, and workout. Then they could receive the message they've tested positive.. well at that point isn't it a little late? 

10 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

Rodgers bought into some nonsense instead of getting vaccinated and caught the covid....no shock,,,get the shot follow the science...thing is he lied and tried to double speak..fine him, suspend him.

Several vaccinated players "caught the covid" as well. 

10 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Several vaccinated players "caught the covid" as well. 

Many more non vaccinated then vaccinated nationwide not just the NFL have caught it, no a debate just cold hard facts. The vaccine works, Rodgers again bought into nonsense and tried to use word play to lie, he went against NFL Protocol thinking he was above the law. He isnt.

13 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

That could be true for vaccinated players as well.   

I may be wrong but it seems like you are trying to find reasons why no one should be required to be vaccinated. Think about it this way: Say another person gets COVID-19 and this can be traced to NFL players that are not vaccinated. Don't you think the NFL would be sued? Players themselves have sued because the NFL did not protect them against brain injuries. In fact, many years ago I recall reading that Johnny Unitas was suing the NFL for having severe arthritis, IIRC. Why would the NFL open itself to more avoidable litigation?  That is one way to look at it.

For me, I was hesitant as were many relatives and friends. As an extended family, we decided that we all would get vaccinated. We had one holdout (my niece) but eventually my sister told her that if she wanted to spend any time with her or with anyone in the family, she needed to get vaccinated. I have an 82-year-old mother who is very active and living well. We do not want to be the cause of her getting COVID. Good thing is that she eats well and fortifies her immune system. But we encouraged her to get vaccinated. She too did not want it but we eventually convinced her. Now, it will be a whole other task to get her a booster. 

Anyway, Kirk Cousins, Carson Wentz, and others have refused vaccination. However, they have followed protocols put in place for those who are unvaccinated. Aaron should have done so too. 

TL;DR  haha

57 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I may be wrong but it seems like you are trying to find reasons why no one should be required to be vaccinated. Think about it this way: Say another person gets COVID-19 and this can be traced to NFL players that are not vaccinated. Don't you think the NFL would be sued? Players themselves have sued because the NFL did not protect them against brain injuries. In fact, many years ago I recall reading that Johnny Unitas was suing the NFL for having severe arthritis, IIRC. Why would the NFL open itself to more avoidable litigation?  That is one way to look at it.

For me, I was hesitant as were many relatives and friends. As an extended family, we decided that we all would get vaccinated. We had one holdout (my niece) but eventually my sister told her that if she wanted to spend any time with her or with anyone in the family, she needed to get vaccinated. I have an 82-year-old mother who is very active and living well. We do not want to be the cause of her getting COVID. Good thing is that she eats well and fortifies her immune system. But we encouraged her to get vaccinated. She too did not want it but we eventually convinced her. Now, it will be a whole other task to get her a booster. 

Anyway, Kirk Cousins, Carson Wentz, and others have refused vaccination. However, they have followed protocols put in place for those who are unvaccinated. Aaron should have done so too. 

TL;DR  haha

So, if I caught it from my son, I could sue his employer? Cool!

He could have given it to me weather I was vaxed or not, no matter it he was vaxed or not. The only question is how bad I'd be, and that's greatly effected by my vax status which was my choice, and taken into consideration while making that decision, no?

Yes, I'm exaggerating for dramatic effect, but this is basically part of the confusion caused.

Earlier someone mentioned 'follow the darn science'. The messaging stinks, and dilutes whatever the real science may really be. They're now saying efficacy may deteriorate quite a bit quicker and more, than originally expected. Science? It changes as they learn more. 'Follow the science'? You mean 'try to keep up with the science'. It'll change again, or at least the messaging will change again.

I had it pretty bad during the holidays last year. Ended up in the hospital for almost a week. I really do wonder why there are mandates for ALL when it's also widely accepted that prior infection protects you(?).

Rogers? He lied. Jerk.

Edit: And sorry NFLfan. I don't mean to be picking on you. I just get ticked most anytime this topic comes up and some of the attitudes displayed.

Rant off.

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

TL;DR  haha

Why would you be worried about your niece if everyone else is vaxxed?   That's the logic I don't understand 

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

^^^^This is the key. I am very much for the choice when it comes to the vaccine, some of you may know it but some may not. 

However, if Aaron did not follow protocols, then it has to be looked into deeply. Do we know for certain he did not? Since I haven't kept up with the nuances of that particular aspect, thought I'd ask. Thanks

2 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

Many more non vaccinated then vaccinated nationwide not just the NFL have caught it, no a debate just cold hard facts. The vaccine works, Rodgers again bought into bullsh*t and tried to use word play to lie, he went against NFL Protocol thinking he was above the law. He isnt.

I am vaccinated, but looking at this objectively:

The vaccine mostly works. The other side of that coin would indicate that there are instances where the vaccine does not work. And if the vaccine did work as intended, there would not be a need for the booster.

As for Rogers, I think the NFL is investigating whether he lied/mislead the team and the NFL, as they should. He works for the NFL and should follow the league's rules on this.

8 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Why would you be worried about your niece if everyone else is vaxxed?   That's the logic I don't understand 

What are you not understanding? Vaccinations do not make you 100% safe from getting an illness. The main job is to help you fight off the illness.  If you are vaccinated then the chance of getting Covid is still greatly reduced. If you are not vaccinated then the chance of eventually getting Covid is high.  So you have 10 people and 9 are vaccinated. The one who is not vaccinated gets Covid and brings it into the group. 6 in the group the vaccine fights it off and they do not get Covid. 3 get Covid but the vaccine keeps it mild for 2 of the 3. The last of the 3 has a lot of other health problems and the vaccine does not fight it off well enoung so that person becomes very ill.  The first person who was unvaccinated is one of the lucky ones who has very little problems. They brag that they got Covid and it did not cause any problems not understanding that they make others sick who may have problems. Can a vaccinated person get Covid and possibly spread the disease. The answer is yes but this the odds of this occuring are significantly less then an unvaccinated person. Do you want 3 and 1 or 3 and 20.   You can make a first down on 3 and 20 and be stopped on 3 adn 1 but the odds of picking up first down is better at 3 and 1. As more and more get vaccinated covid has less chance of spreading and eventually should be minor just like measles, polio etc. 

12 minutes ago, chad72 said:

^^^^This is the key. I am very much for the choice when it comes to the vaccine, some of you may know it but some may not. 

However, if Aaron did not follow protocols, then it has to be looked into deeply. Do we know for certain he did not? Since I haven't kept up with the nuances of that particular aspect, thought I'd ask. Thanks

He didn't wear a mask at press conferences.   Other than that my understanding he did follow the other protocols.   I'm sure the league is investigating it

9 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

I am vaccinated, but looking at this objectively:

The vaccine mostly works. The other side of that coin would indicate that there are instances where the vaccine does not work. And if the vaccine did work as intended, there would not be a need for the booster.

As for Rogers, I think the NFL is investigating whether he lied/mislead the team and the NFL, as they should. He works for the NFL and should follow the league's rules on this.

That is why we are having another wave in Europe. Vaccine reduces severity and viral load, but doesn't prevent transmission and infection, hence the need for boosters till they can come up with one that prevents those. The viral load however is higher amongst the unvaccinated but since we don't have a vaccine that prevents both of the above (transmission and infection), I am for vaccine choice and thus logically since the same rules of testing are not applied to the vaccinated (federally and in workplaces), am against any kind of mandates which I feel are ineffective, IMO. 

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

He didn't wear a mask at press conferences.   Other than that my understanding he did follow the other protocols.   I'm sure the league is investigating it

Yes I do not think people are seeing this. He literally followed all protocols, except the press conferences. He said he feels left out from the team because of all the things he can't do with them.. I think most people are upset at his initial "I'm immunized" response?

I couldn't care less. But the investigation is underway. And everything will be brought to the light.

Good news for him is he still doesn't have to get through daily testing anymore this season unless they make it to the NFCCG

4 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Because  both vaccinated and unvaccinated people can get infected; however, the likelihood of getting Covid is higher for those who are unvaccinated and more of them are getting hospitalized.

41 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Because  both vaccinated and unvaccinated people can get infected; however, the likelihood of getting Covid is higher for those who are unvaccinated and more of them are getting hospitalized.

More getting hospitalized.    I'm not sure unvaxed people are more likely to test positive.    Look at all the sports teams.   The vast majority of those testing positive are vaxxed

5 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

The vast majority of those testing positive are vaxxed

Maybe that is true. I am not sure. However, since most of the players are vaccinated, it is not surprising that most of the players testing positive are vaccinated.

Say 50 players on a team are vaccinated and 3 are not. Would it be surprising if more vaccinated players on that team are infected. (In this scenario, only 3 out of 3 unvaccinated players on the team can get infected. No more.)

The vaccine does not guarantee that one will be infected. It lowers the chances of infection and reduces severe illness. People take the flu shot knowing they may still get the flu, as it reduces the chances of getting it.

Okay, let's agree to disagree. 

So the Packers, Rodgers and Lazard have been fined by the NFL for not following Covid protocols.

Seems the question about the NFL investigation and whether they were following the protocols has been answered.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/09/us/aaron-rodgers-allen-lazard-green-bay-packers-nfl-fine/index.html

So he basically lied and didn't follow the rules.  I understand his right to chose whether to be vaccinated.  Own your choice and don't lie about it.  And don't act like a victim when you lie about it and then refuse to follow the protocols.

The reality is we all have rules from our employers that we need to follow.  My brother hates unions but paid his union dues for 25 years to be a fireman.  I can think of plenty other areas, including vaccines, for certain jobs.  During 20 years in the military I was required to get many vaccines.  Just the way it is.  Except for my military example, we all have a right to leave our employment if we don't like the rules.  Just feels like Rodgers wants it both ways.

6 hours ago, gspdx said:

So the Packers, Rodgers and Lazard have been fined by the NFL for not following Covid protocols.

Seems the question about the NFL investigation and whether they were following the protocols has been answered.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/09/us/aaron-rodgers-allen-lazard-green-bay-packers-nfl-fine/index.html

So he basically lied and didn't follow the rules.  I understand his right to chose whether to be vaccinated.  Own your choice and don't lie about it.  And don't act like a victim when you lie about it and then refuse to follow the protocols.

The reality is we all have rules from our employers that we need to follow.  My brother hates unions but paid his union dues for 25 years to be a fireman.  I can think of plenty other areas, including vaccines, for certain jobs.  During 20 years in the military I was required to get many vaccines.  Just the way it is.  Except for my military example, we all have a right to leave our employment if we don't like the rules.  Just feels like Rodgers wants it both ways.

The Packers and the league knew he wasn't vaccinated.    He misled the media.   He is under no obligation to tell the media about his vaccination status

26 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

The Packers and the league knew he wasn't vaccinated.    He misled the media.   He is under no obligation to tell the media about his vaccination status

That's fine.  And the Packers and Rodgers still got fined.

He is under no obligation to tell the media - which also means all of the rest of us - that he wasn't vaccinated.  It still says something about him when he "misled" the media and now acts like a diva victim.  

Like I said - I am not concerned about his choice to get vaccinated or not.  

1 hour ago, gspdx said:

That's fine.  And the Packers and Rodgers still got fined.

He is under no obligation to tell the media - which also means all of the rest of us - that he wasn't vaccinated.  It still says something about him when he "misled" the media and now acts like a diva victim.  

Like I said - I am not concerned about his choice to get vaccinated or not.  

As I understood your post you were saying he misled the team and the league.    He didn't.   He lied during a press conference.   He isn't obligated to tell the media about his medical issues.  Just like every other American 

On 11/9/2021 at 8:29 PM, NFLfan said:

Maybe that is true. I am not sure. However, since most of the players are vaccinated, it is not surprising that most of the players testing positive are vaccinated.

Say 50 players on a team are vaccinated and 3 are not. Would it be surprising if more vaccinated players on that team are infected. (In this scenario, only 3 out of 3 unvaccinated players on the team can get infected. No more.)

The vaccine does not guarantee that one will be infected. It lowers the chances of infection and reduces severe illness. People take the flu shot knowing they may still get the flu, as it reduces the chances of getting it.

Okay, let's agree to disagree. 

FWIW, here's a tracker from Sharp on players by team who've hit the Covid list. Also, last I read, 94.1% of all players were fully vax'd.

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/analysis/covid-19-list-tracker-for-players-nfl-policies/

Archived