Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

QB Discussion and Preference Poll - Part 2.5

EastStreet

QB Discussion and Preference Poll - Part 2.5  

78 members have voted

1. 1. What is your current choice for QB

• Roll with Eason
    • Re-sign and roll with JB
    • Trade for Wentz (at most multiple 2nds)
    • FA Fitzmagic
    • FA Winston
    • FA Trubisky
    • FA Prescott (although he will likely be tagged and require draft capital)
    • FA Newton
    • FA Winston
    • FA Glennon
    • Trade our next two first round picks or players to move up for Lance
    • Trade our next two first round picks or players to move up for Wilson
    • Draft Mack with our 21st pic
    • Take Trask in the 2nd
    • Take Newman in the 3rd
    • Give up at least a 1st for Carr
    • Give up our 1st for Darnold
    • Give up our 1st for Tua
    • Mortgage the future with 1R picks and/or players to get Watson
    • Mortgage the future with 1R picks and/or players to get Wilson
  2. 2. Regardless of the who, what is your preference in terms of general strategy

• Draft a QB without giving up our 1st or 2nd round picks (Mack/Trask/Newman)
    • Move up and draft (Wilson/Fields/Lance)
    • Roll the dice on a FA that will not require draft capital (Fitz/Winston/++ etc)
    • Give Eason a shot and use our draft capital on improving the roster
    • Mortgage the future bigly on a legit star (Watson or Wilson)
    • Use a single first rounder to trade for someone (Darnold/Wentz/Carr/++ etc)
  3. 3. In general, what are you willing to give up for the right QB?

• Multiple 1Rs and/or star players for a rock star
    • Maximum one 1R, or one star player
    • Maximum one 2R, or starter but not rock star player
    • Draft picks after the 2R
    • I don't want to give up draft capital at all. I prefer to draft or sign a FA.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/15/2021 at 12:55 AM

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, NFLfan said:

How about Jimmy G for the Colts? 

Awkward Nene Leakes GIF by Real housewives of Atlanta

Jimmy G im not sure, he's definitely better than Wentz and Darnold and has played for a much better team, which is what alarms me about his performance in 2020 and he being on the trade block.  I think he's a QB that needs a certain system to be successful, I think he ends up in NE

6 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Awkward Nene Leakes GIF by Real housewives of Atlanta

Jimmy G im not sure, he's definitely better than Wentz and Darnold and has played for a much better team, which is what alarms me about his performance in 2020 and he being on the trade block.  I think he's a QB that needs a certain system to be successful, I think he ends up in NE

Spider Man Reaction GIF

Just now, NFLfan said:

Lol. The gif suggests you are afraid of him.

When I write that I would gladly accept a Cousins for Jimmy G trade, other Vikings fans don't like it, even if they are not fans of Cousins. 

that gif is from the NBC show the blindspot

6 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I didn't wanna create another thread about this 

Not QB but Colts related

He will be a 31 year old corner back, I don't think the Colts should get into a bidding war for him.  Corner backs tend to fall off fast around that age, he might be an exception but its a risk we don't really have to take.

It might have been a tougher decision if we were all in for a super bowl next year, but we have a lot of expensive holes.  I can understand letting a good corner walk considering his age

The Colts already have a Jimmy. He met with Andrew Luck a couple weeks back. Luck didn’t want to be here, though. Least seems the way to me. 

Before we potentially go after another Jimmy there’s no rule against having more than one Jimmy, is there? I’d hate to have more Jimmy’s than we can use. 

One of them is gonna have to take on a nickname though. For now let’s go with “Jimmy with the Colts who wants to be a member of the organization”, and “Jimmy not with the Colts but maybe wants to be”. That should alleviate any confusion. 

15 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

@stitches agrees.

But what about this possibility?

@w87r, that's better than Cousins, no?

If they can swing that deal they should but IMO the price will be prohibitive. I kind of have landed on going for the draft and now every other option seems inferior even when we are talking about all pros. It's weird. In essence I've landed on - this team is not good enough to be able to give a massive haul for QB picks-wise and give him huge contract and still expect to field an improved team over the next several years. Wilson makes 35M... lets say we give them 3 1sts and 3 day 2 picks(this is on the low end of what I expect him to cost). This will mean we won't have much of any high end draft capital over the next 3 years. It also means we will have 35M and day 3 picks to address: 

-2x starting DEs

-2x starting CBs

-MIKE

-starting LT

-2x starting WRs

-2xTEs

And this is before we even get to extending Nelson, Leonard and Braden. It just looks untenable to me. I think I've ended up with the opinion that we need to take a step back and while we are doing it try to go find our QB of the future in the draft. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Yeah, but how are we going to get in at the top three pick? Because he is going to get picked there for sure. 

Draft picks and players. IMO it won't be hard to get there... it will be painful though. As long as you are willing to pay the price, you can go get your guy. 

7 minutes ago, stitches said:

Draft picks and players. IMO it won't be hard to get there... it will be painful though. As long as you are willing to pay the price, you can go get your guy. 

We have to many other issues so I don’t think Ballard would spend so much. Also, that fact that we apparently are interested in getting a vet QB tells me that Ballard wont go that route. But we will see...

6 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

IMO a trade like that causes to many holes elsewhere 

To some degree it's true, but it saves you money over the next 5 years if you get your guy and he pans out. It pretty much saves you enough money to get starting caliber LT and starting caliber DE or WR over those years. So yeah... it takes away from your draft capital, but it gives you other resources to make moves. I also would be making this move with the express acknowledgement that we will likely be taking a step back over the next year or two and reseting the windown a year or two into the future rather than right now... so this might open other avenues to improve the team in that timeframe. 

14 minutes ago, stitches said:

. I think I've ended up with the opinion that we need to take a step back and while we are doing it try to go find our QB of the future in the draft. 

^^^That is what I meant. Then I added the R. Wilson piece.

Zibby wrote that the more this goes on, the more he is getting comfortable with moving up and drafting a QB. I replied that you agree. Sorry for the confusion.

I agree with you. I would rather draft a QB. I believe in building through the draft for many of the reason you gave. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

We have to many other issues so I don’t think Ballard would spend so much. Also, that fact that we apparently are interested in getting a vet QB tells me that Ballard wont go that route. But we will see...

I mean... we are interested but... look at the offers we are making. Ballard reportedly didn't even include our 1st round pick for the Stafford trade negotiation. Same with Wentz now. He refuses to include the #21 pick. It's possible he's seriously considering going up in the draft and is exploring those high profile QB trades only if they come with a truly amazing cheap deal. 

I don't know. This off-season is very anxious for me... I can't wait til FA and the draft come around. I'm about ready to get this over with. 

22 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Would cost too much 

22 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Age, Size, Cost

I like RW as a player and person but for me the negatives outweigh the positives

Bingo

Fair enough. And reasonable. But it is still fun to think about

27 minutes ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Yeah, but how are we going to get in at the top three pick? Because he is going to get picked there for sure. 

You get up to around 6 or 7 (Philly or Detroit) to start.  From there you make the final move up to the Dolphins pick at 3rd.  Let’s say the worst case scenario happens and Fields gets taken 2nd by the Jets or we couldn’t get up to 3rd & Fields & Wilson are both gone, we’d still be in position to take a stud LT, a game breaking WR, a shutdown corner, a matchup nightmare TE, or we could trade back to low teens and recoup some draft capital and still get one of those pieces.  I just think it’s worth it for us to keep our draft capital & use it to make moves up in this draft.

2 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

You get up to around 6 or 7 (Philly or Detroit) to start.  From there you make the final move up to the Dolphins pick at 3rd.  Let’s say the worst case scenario happens and Fields gets taken 2nd by the Jets or we couldn’t get up to 3rd & Fields & Wilson are both gone, we’d still be in position to take a stud LT, a game breaking WR, a shutdown corner, a matchup nightmare TE, or we could trade back to low teens and recoup some draft capital and still get one of those pieces.  I just think it’s worth it for us to make a move up in this draft.

I’d be surprised it’s really Ballard move up one let alone twice!

59 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

@stitches agrees.

But what about this possibility?

@w87r, that's better than Cousins, no?

Ah, to much draft capital and he has taken a lot of hits.

I would take him, but it would hurt depth across the board.

Cousins can come through though, treat it like a family reunion.

2 hours ago, Restored said:

By your logic, the Colts should've never signed Rivers because his most recent season prior to Indy was a statistically terrible season with the Chargers.

I also find it interesting that you make excuses for Darnold's surroundings but don't seem to afford the same benefit to Wentz.

The difference is, Wentz HAS shown the ability to play well. Darnold simply has not.

Good post, You beat me to it.   Darnold is not even in the same tier as Wentz.    And I kinda like Darnold, but not sure what upgrade he would be even over Eason.  And I am 100% against relying on Eason to be the starter (YET).  

Dan just wants the Colts to  draft Jones, so bringing in Wentz would all but kill that dream. With Darnold for a 3rd or 4th they could still move up or take Jones at 21.

7 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

U r right. What i meant tovsay was this. Krsft did probsbly order the trade as Beady wanted to stay. My point was that Bill didnt wait. He got him out of the building and fast. Didn't care if he took less. 

At this point i don't care if its Ryan, Wentz, Darnold or someone else.  I just want to know.  I really hope this thread doesn't go 120 pages before we find out.

I highly doubt Wilson is on the table, even if teams are calling.  He just won WP man of the year.  He's too important to the team and the community to be let go.  Fans would riot. 

Archived