Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eason on possibly starting

CR91

6 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

So you think Ballard talked to the Lions about Stafford and didn't make a offer? (or ask what they wanted)

I have some ocean front property here in Indiana I will sell real cheap. 

It was shared on these forums with in a tweet. I didn't find it, and I dont remember the source, but it was one we all knew of. Im sorry you missed the tweet. 

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I dont think they will trade up.  I just think it is to expensive. And who would they target? Fields the kid from BYU? I dont believe at all the reports that the Colts like Fields. Look at who they signed, Rivers, and drafted, Eason. R they going to trade all the way up for a BYU one year wonder? I just dont think the value and risk is there.

Wilson isn’t a one-year wonder...that was his breakout season...at age 21. This happens for a lot of college players.

21 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Ballard has the habit of making late round players stars. This won’t surprise me one bit if that happens with Eason. He isn’t the typical 4th rounder. He wasn’t drafted to be a starter or backup. He had a perfect situation. Didn’t have to be rushed and Reich. Plus the team has no future QB. The kid deserves a chance.

The kid deserves a chance....   at just the right time.   Not before.   

Just because fans want to see Eason now doesn’t mean he’s ready to play right now.    But he might be in another year.  Patience may be hard,  but it can also reward you when used properly. 

12 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

It’s funny to me people say go get Darnold who has 3 years of bad football and who has been broken by a bad organization but don’t want to give Eason who is a Blake slate and been in a good situation for a year.

Darnold cannot be fixed and is on his way to being a bust.

If this team trades any picks and Darnold is a bust, you all have been warned !!!

7 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

If this team trades any picks and Darnold is a bust, you all have been warned !!!

I wouldn't say Darnold's a bust. I would put him in same category as Ryan Tannerhill. Too much pressure put on a kid for a franchise desperate to find their franchise QB. Now I'm not saying trade for him, but I do think Darnold can flourish somewhere else.

On 2/2/2021 at 10:13 AM, Shive said:

I like it too, especially since a lot of his issues as a QB were footwork related. He has such a canon for an arm, that he was able to cover up bad footwork with a rocket arm. If he can clean that up, I think he'll be able to regulate his velocity better and be an overall more accurate passer.

Yea I agree 

2 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

the cost wont be high if we trade for him.  JEts should draft Fields(start over)  and take what they can get for Sam, which will be a day two or three pick

6 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

the cost wont be high if we trade for him.  JEts should draft Fields(start over)  and take what they can get for Sam, which will be a day two or three pick

I would offer a 3rd in 21 and 3rd in 22 that become 2nd if Colts win South

Or just straight up 2nd in 21

On 2/2/2021 at 12:50 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

I hope Eason makes it. Why? He has a cannon arm and seems to have matured in his time with the Colts. He could be dynamic with that arm talent and mobility. Most importantly, the Colts will not have to expend anymore draft capital on the qb position and can address other needs. I get the River's deal. It was at most a 2 year deal  with the hope that Eason would b ready year 3 if they felt Eason is the guy. My only concern with Eason and how the Colts view him is this. The aquisition of Stafford was a 4 year commitment. I get that Ballard is not wanting to go into next year without a starter. I do wonder if it also says that they dont beleive Eason is the answer long term. 

I don’t think the Colts pursing Stafford says much about Eason. Eason is the ultimate unknown right now, Ballard said as much. Until the dude plays football, no one knows how good or bad he is. Stafford, on the other hand, is a QB that has proven himself to be skilled and efficient. He is the known. Until you know the unknown, you take the known. Know what I’m saying?

1 hour ago, chickenMan said:

I don’t think the Colts pursing Stafford says much about Eason. Eason is the ultimate unknown right now, Ballard said as much. Until the dude plays football, no one knows how good or bad he is. Stafford, on the other hand, is a QB that has proven himself to be skilled and efficient. He is the known. Until you know the unknown, you take the known. Know what I’m saying?

I think it says everything bout Eason. They believe they have assembled a superbowl roster and are not comfortable with their current situation at qb. That's pretty obvious. I will make a comparison with Mahommes. Yea, he was the 10th player taken in the draft. The point I am making is this. He did not come out of the draft as a cant miss prospect. He sat a year behind Alex Smith. Reid liked what he saw and knew Alex could only take them so far. They decided to turn the page and give the keys to Mahommes. Eason has not shown enough at this point and thst can be blamed to some extent on Covid. I am not trying to say that Eason is Mahommes so dont go there. Just that Eason has some great physical traits that I would say are comparable to Mahommes and Hebert

I think if Eason would have preseason and a game or 2 to wow, things could be different. He is just an unknown and he was a 4th round pick. He was probably a 2 year project at the least.

On 2/3/2021 at 4:14 PM, PRnum1 said:

Darnold's decision making at USC was questioned before the draft.  But he should not cost much if we were to take a chance.

If Darnold becomes available, its because the Jets drafted a college rookie over staying with him.  No way Darnold would command a 1st or a second round pick.  The Jets are basically announcing their disappointment.

2 hours ago, King Colt said:

Ballard's silence on the QB issue is deafening

There’s only so much he can say.   It’s illegal to talk about players on another team.   You don’t want to tip your hand on free agents. 
And he’s already addressed the rookie class at his year end news conference calling it a good draft class, but added the best ones will likely go sooner than pick 21.

Ballard is reportedly doing a radio interview today, but not sure what else the man can say?   What are you expecting? 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

He's actually talking about it right now, with Dakich. (That means I'll have to listen to Dakich later... ugh)

Will you please be kind enough to write a nice summary of what Ballard says?   Honestly, I don’t expect him to say much,  what can he say at this point?

But id love to read your words.   Your summation I value. 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Will you please be kind enough to write a nice summary of what Ballard says?   Honestly, I don’t expect him to say much,  what can he say at this point?

But id love to read your words.   Your summation I value. 

Yeah, I can do that.

"We will look at any avenue to make sure we have a guy that's functional and can produce at a winning level for us... And I have a lot of trust in Frank that he will make it work."

This sounds like Winston/Trubisky/Mariota/Fitzpatrick type... Maybe even Brissett.. a guy that's functional. I swear I might have described Jacoby in words scarily similar to that.

Second highlight - "We have 4 good OLinemen. By the end of camp we will need to find the best spots for them to play at" :excited:

Yep, they are considering both Q and Braden for LT.

Ballard deserves GM of the year for just sitting through an interview with Dakich. :dunno:

I was driving earlier and tried to listen to part of it and just couldn't bring myself to do it. 

I know we are all different but I will never understand how Dakich has a job in broad casting. 

56 minutes ago, stitches said:

"We will look at any avenue to make sure we have a guy that's functional and can produce at a winning level for us... And I have a lot of trust in Frank that he will make it work."

This sounds like Winston/Trubisky/Mariota/Fitzpatrick type... Maybe even Brissett.. a guy that's functional. I swear I might have described Jacoby in words scarily similar to that.

Second highlight - "We have 4 good OLinemen. By the end of camp we will need to find the best spots for them to play at" :excited:

Yep, they are considering both Q and Braden for LT.

I’m seeing Winston’s name mentioned here more and more.   For what it’s worth, about 7-10 days ago Sean Payton came out and said the Saints have strong interest in bringing back Winston, especially if Brees retires. 

As for LT, Ballard also talked about how hard it is for guys to flip sides, right to left.   Will Smith get a look?  Maybe.   But I think it’s far more likely that it’s Q.   Easier to replace Q at guard than Smith at RT.  

And we will likely know about a week or two after FA starts.  There are only about 3-4 guys who we could sign to fill  LT.   Those guys should go pretty quickly.   If we don’t sign one of them, and/or we also sign a FA guard, then we have our answer, and the answer will be Q. 

Archived