Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eason on possibly starting

CR91

9 hours ago, CR91 said:

Even if the texans were crazy enough to trade him inside the division, teams like the Jets or dolphins could offer way more in terms of picks and draft position.

There would be many teams offering as much or more than the Colts, so Houston won't trade him to the Colts.   

Just won't happen.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

And what? 

Getting hung up on where a QB is drafted is a mistake.

The odds say one thing but there are always exceptions. 

Brady-Rd 6

Unitas- Rd 9

Staubach- Rd 10

Gannon= Rd 4

Starr-Rd 17

I am not saying that Eason is going to touch on those QBs careers but I am not going to automatically assume he is not. 

I understand your point, but there have been so many more QB's drafted in the later rounds that have failed.  It's not even close.  I'm not saying that Eason will fail but some people are talking like his odds of success are very good.  I'd rather see him start the season as the back up QB and maybe get his chance in garbage time, due to injury or due to poor QB play by the starter.  

41 minutes ago, twfish said:

Hes supposed to be on 1070 talking to Kevin Bowen today taking place of JMV. Honestly I would just draft a guy like Trask in the second round and let them dual it out. I would rather have one bad season and get our future QB then to leverage our future for one player

If Darnold could be had for cheap he could be a option to bring in and compete also. 

9 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

They would want a proven star in trade 

I would offer 

21st

22 1

23 2 

Darius Leonard 

I would do that.  they said they want more than picks in the trade, especially defensive players

I dont see it as giving up on the maniac, we know how good he can be.  we just wont get a QB as good as him without giving up something besides future picks

12 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

wasting a good teams window. 

Not necessarily, Eason was in discussion as first RD pick but fell due to character concerns we don’t need a franchise Qb we just need someone to the lv of say tannehil ride the run game , Oline and keep building that monster On def. Don’t get me wrong I wish we could get the number one pick and draft the next best thing etc... but after seeing stafford trade that’s not gonna happen and I don’t want to be with a new vet every season so we have to develop from with in or hope we get lucky in draft or a vet with 3-4 years left like Rodgers ( pipe dream ) . So we have to win another way and build the team to stop these QB we gonna be facing cause it’s looking like every team in afc south is gonna be in better position QB wise than us as it stands 2-2-21

9 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

I like that Eason is working with Tom house , he has helped a lot of QB ,Luck, Brady and brees included. All of them had very good seasons after off season with house 

I like it too, especially since a lot of his issues as a QB were footwork related. He has such a canon for an arm, that he was able to cover up bad footwork with a rocket arm. If he can clean that up, I think he'll be able to regulate his velocity better and be an overall more accurate passer.

I'm pleased that he's working with Tom House. His footwork and throwing mechanics break down at times, and they're obviously tied to each other. The training he'll get will help him navigate some of his technical issues, which may help him improve his pocket presence and reduce the ill-fated bailouts that get him trouble against the rush.

According this, he worked with House last year also. I like that.

2 hours ago, twfish said:

Hes supposed to be on 1070 talking to Kevin Bowen today taking place of JMV. Honestly I would just draft a guy like Trask in the second round and let them dual it out. I would rather have one bad season and get our future QB then to leverage our future for one player

What makes you think one bad season would solve the situation? The odds are neither would be the answer.

23 minutes ago, Orioles22 said:

What makes you think one bad season would solve the situation? The odds are neither would be the answer.

Honestly its about the same odds as most QB's that will be taken in the first this year. I still like him as a prospect more than I like QB's that will be realistically in our range this draft. We are in QB purgatory and there is no doubt about that.

11 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

They would want a proven star in trade 

I would offer 

21st

22 1

23 2 

Darius Leonard 

I don't think this is off target.  I get annoyed when people offer players that have been underperforming as a trade like rys. 

If this went through can you imagine the size of the chip on Leonard's shoulder!  He already has a bolder on there.  lol.   He'd kill us twice a year.

33 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

He seems very hungry and excited.  Can’t wait for OTA and mini camp. Preseason games will be so fun.   He seems to have some personality too. 

I also love the fact that him, Pittman, and Patmon are good friends off the field too (as well as Blackmon, but he's defense). I think that kind of personal chemistry can really help the on-field performance. I'm assuming they'll get together in the offseason to workout and practice.

4 minutes ago, Shive said:

I also love the fact that him, Pittman, and Patmon are good friends off the field too (as well as Blackmon, but he's defense). I think that kind of personal chemistry can really help the on-field performance. I'm assuming they'll get together in the offseason to workout and practice.

Pittman is headed back out to California in a few days. I am sure they will all get together.  

Just now, DougDew said:

If Eason is in the mix for starting, then we should trade for Foles as a backup/part time starter/insurance.  Keeping the same veteran preference within the system, first Rivers, then Foles, would be the best for teaching Eason, IMO.

I actually wouldn’t even mind foles starting if they believe Eason will be ready in 22. It’s better then getting someone who will be here longer term. Then you could keep Foles as the vet backup after that.

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

Lots of events are still canceled or different than normal in 2021

I think there is a good chance everything will be beck to normal for the players by OTA time. Protocols are already in place and there is a really good chance players will be able to get vaccinated by then. They probably don’t need to do the everyday testing for OTA or mini camp. 

29 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I actually wouldn’t even mind foles starting if they believe Eason will be ready in 22. It’s better then getting someone who will be here longer term. Then you could keep Foles as the vet backup after that.

I think Foles' contract is paying him only $4m per season.  I would think with how DaBears handled the QB situation this year, they want neither Tru or Foles, and will be one of the teams looking to trade up for a QB.  They pick #20.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think Foles' contract is only paying him $4m per season.  I would think with how DaBears handled the QB situation this year, they want neither Tru or Foles, and will be one of the teams looking to trade up for a QB.  They pick #20.

The more I think about it they should just put their trust in Eason being the future. Instead of mortgaging the draft. Keep all our draft picks and go find a bridge for a year. At least Foles has experience with Reich. Bears will be in on Watson so we will see. If they go with a rookie they may want to keep Foles. 

Just really impressed that it seems Eason wants this really bad.

12 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The more I think about it they should just put their trust in Eason being the future. Instead of mortgaging the draft. Keep all our draft picks and go find a bridge for a year. At least Foles has experience with Reich. Bears will be in on Watson so we will see. If they go with a rookie they may want to keep Foles. 

I don't want them to put their trust in Eason unless they really trust he can be a good QB in the NFL at this time.  

21 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I would not want to use even pick 21 on a QB, let alone trade up.  Like Campbell, the Colts really need to see what they have on the field with Eason before they use a high pick to replace him.  None of these rookies have his height or arm talent.   I think only Lawrence can match his physical traits.

Vet FAs at both QB and WR this year make more sense to me than draft picks.

1 hour ago, Fluke_33 said:

I don't think this is off target.  I get annoyed when people offer players that have been underperforming as a trade like rys. 

If this went through can you imagine the size of the chip on Leonard's shoulder!  He already has a bolder on there.  lol.   He'd kill us twice a year.

Watson would have that same motivation 

13 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

And what? 

Brady-Rd 6

Unitas- Rd 9

Staubach- Rd 10

Gannon= Rd 4

Starr-Rd 17

I am not saying that Eason is going to touch on those QBs careers but I am not going to automatically assume he is not. 

I hope Eason makes it. Why? He has a cannon arm and seems to have matured in his time with the Colts. He could be dynamic with that arm talent and mobility. Most importantly, the Colts will not have to expend anymore draft capital on the qb position and can address other needs. I get the River's deal. It was at most a 2 year deal  with the hope that Eason would b ready year 3 if they felt Eason is the guy. My only concern with Eason and how the Colts view him is this. The aquisition of Stafford was a 4 year commitment. I get that Ballard is not wanting to go into next year without a starter. I do wonder if it also says that they dont beleive Eason is the answer long term. 

42 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

So Eason is going to be working with Tom House starting Feb 15th. That is way before the draft and FA. What are the chances Ballard will get videos and progress reports on him before the draft and FA and ends up liking what he is seeing.  

I dont think Eason doing well with Tom House is going to b the final factor on whether they give him the keys to the car. They have seen him in camp. They love the arm and he appears to changed hos work ethic. It's game action and they have none of that on Eason.

10 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I dont think Eason doing well with Tom House is going to b the final factor on whether they give him the keys to the car. They have seen him in camp. They love the arm and he appears to changed hos work ethic. It's game action and they have none of that on Eason.

I am thinking more on if they decide to trade up in the draft. I wouldn’t expect them to hand him the keys. Maybe change how they view trading up in the draft or what kind of vet they go get.

14 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

And what? 

Brady-Rd 6

Unitas- Rd 9

Staubach- Rd 10

Gannon= Rd 4

Starr-Rd 17

I mean...half of those are from a long time ago. Even if we go back to 2000...there are about ~9 starting QBs picked on Day 3 or later (UDFA) out of several hundred QBs picked/signed:

4th round - Dak Prescott, Kirk Cousins, Kyle Orton

5th round - none

6th round - Tyrod Taylor, Marc Bulger, Tom Brady, Derek Anderson

7th round - Ryan Fitzpatrick

UDFA - Tony Romo, Jake Delhomme

And only three of those have happened in the past decade (Dak, Cousins and Taylor). There are always exceptions...but finding a good QB on Day 3 or later is not really a viable strategy. And I would be willing to bet it's not Ballard's strategy.

Archived