Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eason on possibly starting

CR91

9 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Ballard deserves GM of the year for just sitting through an interview with Dakich. :dunno:

I was driving earlier and tried to listen to part of it and just couldn't bring myself to do it. 

I know we are all different but I will never understand how Dakich has a job in broad casting. 

Interesting...    if I had a dollar for every interview like that I’ve heard in my lifetime, I’d be rich!   And I’ve heard plenty of negative about him here on this website. 

But, I thought Dakich was great.  Really, really good.  He asks honest straight forward questions that most media types won’t, and certainly not face to face.   I didn’t wince ir squirm once.   And I think it’s a sign of respect that Ballard agreed to do this in studio, and not a phone interview or zoom. Ballard likes Dakich.  He wouldn’t have done face to face otherwise. 

I’d strongly recommend Colts fans listen.  Of course I always recommend Colts fans listen to Ballard.   Agree with what he does, or not, he is as candid a sports executive as I’ve heard in sports.  He is pretty forthcoming.  He’s a straight shooter.  Props to him for that. 

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Interesting...    if I had a dollar for every interview like that I’ve heard in my lifetime, I’d be rich!   And I’ve heard plenty of negative about him here on this website. 

But, I thought Dakich was great.  Really, really good.  He asks honest straight forward questions that most media types won’t, and certainly not face to face.   I didn’t wince ir squirm once.   And I think it’s a sign of respect that Ballard agreed to do this in studio, and not a phone interview or zoom. Ballard likes Dakich.  He wouldn’t have done face to face otherwise. 

I’d strongly recommend Colts fans listen.  Of course I always recommend Colts fans listen to Ballard.   Agree with what he does, or not, he is as candid a sports executive as I’ve heard in sports.  He is pretty forthcoming.  He’s a straight shooter.  Props to him for that. 

I'll never forget when Dakich said Wentz was better than Andrew Luck back in 2018. He said Wentz was the real deal and he would take Wentz if he had to choose. I tuned out after that.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I'll never forget when Dakich said Wentz was better than Andrew Luck back in 2018. He said Wentz was the real deal and he would take Wentz if he had to choose. I tuned out after that.

LOL!    Yeah,  that's classic AM Sports Talk radio nonsense.   But today,  Dakich owned lots of ignorance.   He was completely self-deprecating,  yet he also asked good honest questions face to face,  and plenty of sports media will shrink from that moment.     Based only on this interview,  I'd say more times than not,  I would be a fan of his.   Maybe not all the time,  but I thought this interview was exceptionally good for sports talk radio which I think is mostly poor to below average.

To Wentz,  for me his comp has always been Luck.   Not a better version,  but similar.   He came with a very good humble reputation.    A boy scout.   An "ah-shucks" type of kid.   All this more recent talk of him being a bad guy has been shocking to me.   I don't know if he feels the franchise threw him under the bus or what,  but the rumors seem 180 degrees opposite of his reputation for his first few years.    Maybe a fresh start somewhere else is what he needs?    I'd be in favor of trading for him,  but it would depend on (A)  the cost,  and (B) his willingness to re-do his contract to something more reasonable, with incentives.    He's not a $25 Million dollar guy any more.   He might be someday,  but not today.   And this year, a re-worked contract is needed to deal with the lowered cap.   He has to show he's willing to help the team.

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry, I just can't stand Dakich and his narcissistic personality. 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

LOL!    Yeah,  that's classic AM Sports Talk radio nonsense.   But today,  Dakich owned lots of ignorance.   He was completely self-deprecating,  yet he also asked good honest questions face to face,  and plenty of sports media will shrink from that moment.     Based only on this interview,  I'd say more times than not,  I would be a fan of his.   Maybe not all the time,  but I thought this interview was exceptionally good for sports talk radio which I think is mostly poor to below average.

To Wentz,  for me his comp has always been Luck.   Not a better version,  but similar.   He came with a very good humble reputation.    A boy scout.   An "ah-shucks" type of kid.   All this more recent talk of him being a bad guy has been shocking to me.   I don't know if he feels the franchise threw him under the bus or what,  but the rumors seem 180 degrees opposite of his reputation for his first few years.    Maybe a fresh start somewhere else is what he needs?    I'd be in favor of trading for him,  but it would depend on (A)  the cost,  and (B) his willingness to re-do his contract to something more reasonable, with incentives.    He's not a $25 Million dollar guy any more.   He might be someday,  but not today.   And this year, a re-worked contract is needed to deal with the lowered cap.   He has to show he's willing to help the team.

I will say this Dakich knows his College Basketball with the best of them so at least I give him credit there. I really don't listen to him anymore, I personally like JMV here locally. That is why the comment he made about Luck surprised me. 

20 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I will say this Dakich knows his College Basketball with the best of them so at least I give him credit there. I really don't listen to him anymore, I personally like JMV here locally. That is why the comment he made about Luck surprised me. 

I will give credit to Dakich as far as his knowledge of college basketball but he just has that personality that hits me like scratching chalk on a blackboard. 

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

I will give credit to Dakich as far as his knowledge of college basketball but he just has that personality that hits me like scratching chalk on a blackboard. 

I used to listen to him because of the schedule I had at work a few years ago. The thing I didn't like him about him, he was rude to a lot of his callers even when they made good points.

DD was actually on good behavior with Ballard.

I wasn't going to listen, but started it, and didn't stop....

Most of the notes

-Never asked Luck if he wanted to come back. Luck would tell him.
-Have rights to Luck, don't know if they can trade them.
-QB driven league, but it's not only about the QB. Have faith in Frank....
-Can't talk about specific guys that may be under consideration for trades.
-Is functional good enough for QB? You love to have dynamic more than functional, but those guys don't grown on trees.
-Won't move up just to make folks happy
-It'll work out over time... Won't operate out of desperation
-No sense ever that Luck was going to leave
-What happened between the PB and retirement (how did the injury happen)... wouldn't answer...
-We like TY, we'll work through process. It'll depend on the market. We'll see if it works out.
-Thought they'd get two years from PR. 
-PR figured out he didn't need to be the hero to win
-Don't judge the off season. Judge after the season.
-On coaching mistakes in the Buffalo game. Expected a different look on the 4th down call. 
-Blamed the D a bit... went on and on about odds/analytics. Admitted though it's about feel/gut too. So really just sat on the fence...
-Would rather have fans complain than apathetic.
-Not worried about losing fans while approaching year 5
-A lot of good young players 26 or younger.
-Not in the "window" yet
-He and Frank take the blame.
-DD - Bobby Knight took the blame. Sampson blamed players.
-4 very good OL. Smith is underrated. Will find the "right position" for all 4. We'll find a way to get our best 5 on the field, in the best positions. 
-On Q at LT. He's the best in the league at LG. Are you weakening 2 spots or better overall?
-On nonsense at LT. Moving to another side is like golfing with your opposite hand. Some can do it.
-Wilson is dynamic.
-He likes WRs (general). Like Pittman a lot. Getting PC back will be huge. Tough kid. Pascal is underrated and will be back. Does the dirty work.
-Always want to add weapons.
-Hines, Taylor, and PC do it with speed. Pittman will do it with strength.
-Expectations were unrealistic to start (Taylor). Had to get used to starting out of the gun.
-Nobody is giving out FA deals this early. Got to put a value on every deal and not get caught up in the emotion. 
-DD made fun of CB for coach speak
-We like JB, he'll be in the mix for both starting and backup. Have to let it playout. 
-On the QB market.. there is no middle. It's either 35M or rook. The middle is disappearing.
-Don't know what Eason is, but they like what they've seen so far.. DD made fun of him for not knowing lol.. 
-Don't have the combine figured out yet.
-Need more work on the pass rush. 
-Been with Houston for many years. It's going to come down to market.
-Cap not figured out yet, but everyone will be under restraints.
-Have not won the division yet. Have to beat TN first, but have their eyes on KC.
-Jax is going to get better quickly.
-All QBs get to a point where it's not pretty and they struggle. They need to be able to handle that and rebound.
-The locker room is good and can handle outlier players.

55 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

DD was actually on good behavior with Ballard.

I wasn't going to listen, but started it, and didn't stop....

Most of the notes

-Never asked Luck if he wanted to come back. Luck would tell him.
-Have rights to Luck, don't know if they can trade them.
-QB driven league, but it's not only about the QB. Have faith in Frank....
-Can't talk about specific guys that may be under consideration for trades.
-Is functional good enough for QB? You love to have dynamic more than functional, but those guys don't grown on trees.
-Won't move up just to make folks happy
-It'll work out over time... Won't operate out of desperation
-No sense ever that Luck was going to leave
-What happened between the PB and retirement (how did the injury happen)... wouldn't answer...
-We like TY, we'll work through process. It'll depend on the market. We'll see if it works out.
-Thought they'd get two years from PR. 
-PR figured out he didn't need to be the hero to win
-Don't judge the off season. Judge after the season.
-On coaching mistakes in the Buffalo game. Expected a different look on the 4th down call. 
-Blamed the D a bit... went on and on about odds/analytics. Admitted though it's about feel/gut too. So really just sat on the fence...
-Would rather have fans complain than apathetic.
-Not worried about losing fans while approaching year 5
-A lot of good young players 26 or younger.
-Not in the "window" yet
-He and Frank take the blame.
-DD - Bobby Knight took the blame. Sampson blamed players.
-4 very good OL. Smith is underrated. Will find the "right position" for all 4. We'll find a way to get our best 5 on the field, in the best positions. 
-On Q at LT. He's the best in the league at LG. Are you weakening 2 spots or better overall?
-On nonsense at LT. Moving to another side is like golfing with your opposite hand. Some can do it.
-Wilson is dynamic.
-He likes WRs (general). Like Pittman a lot. Getting PC back will be huge. Tough kid. Pascal is underrated and will be back. Does the dirty work.
-Always want to add weapons.
-Hines, Taylor, and PC do it with speed. Pittman will do it with strength.
-Expectations were unrealistic to start (Taylor). Had to get used to starting out of the gun.
-Nobody is giving out FA deals this early. Got to put a value on every deal and not get caught up in the emotion. 
-DD made fun of CB for coach speak
-We like JB, he'll be in the mix for both starting and backup. Have to let it playout. 
-On the QB market.. there is no middle. It's either 35M or rook. The middle is disappearing.
-Don't know what Eason is, but they like what they've seen so far.. DD made fun of him for not knowing lol.. 
-Don't have the combine figured out yet.
-Need more work on the pass rush. 
-Been with Houston for many years. It's going to come down to market.
-Cap not figured out yet, but everyone will be under restraints.
-Have not won the division yet. Have to beat TN first, but have their eyes on KC.
-Jax is going to get better quickly.
-All QBs get to a point where it's not pretty and they struggle. They need to be able to handle that and rebound.
-The locker room is good and can handle outlier players.

Thanks for doing this.   You and @Superman both did this.   Appreciate the time you took to do this. 

14 minutes ago, DownHillRunner said:

The biggest problem with Eason is we haven't seen him play one snap in the NFL and just minimal college games. This team doesn't need a "what if" uncertain Quarterback starting under center when the team is built and ready to win right now. 

He started as many or more games in college than a lot of NFL qbs

Eason will have a shot at the job which is what matters.  They'll add someone to compete with him.  I'm guessing Darnold but there's some options out there for Ballard to round out the QB room.  Could be a guy like Minshew who knows.

If they were to go get Lance in the draft and start him casual fans would think that's a solid approach but he's got more to learn than some of these guys who have tried and failed.  Electric talent no doubt.  But he's gonna go through QB growing pains. 

If I'm Ballard what I'd do from 21 is move down.  Then take Kellen Mond.  Have Mond compete with Eason.  Kellen Mond is mentally tough, confident eyes downfield and a good arm.  He is underrated right now.  I'd take him ahead of some of these other options.  I'd take him before I'd take Lance for example.

22 hours ago, Stephen said:

Mond needs some work

That is true.  He does.  But all drafted QBs need work.

And you know who else needs work?  These 3 to 5 year vets whose windows are closing, the former high picks known as Mariota, Goff, Wentz, Darnold, Winston, etc.  Mariota can't get through progressions even with good pass pro, it's so bad he probably won't get another shot.  Goff can't process his reads under pressure the guy craps his pants in the pocket.  Wentz has a laundry list of issues from injury tendency to poor reads and anticipation.  Winston has bad vision the guy routinely misses defenders which I don't know is fixable and there's rumors he doesn't study.  And so on.

Of all those guys Winston is probably the most talented.  And Darnold is the guy you tell yourself had a poor situation.  But they're all dice rolls that come with draft pick cost.

So why not just draft a guy you like.  That's where Mond fits in for me.  If you can't shake free a vet for a price you can live with then go draft another guy you like and have him compete with Eason.  The Colts are in an enviable position where they have the OL, the weapons, and the defense you need to set a young signal caller up for success while he settles in.

23 hours ago, Boondoggle said:

Mond vs Clemson all throws

Senior Bowl

Drafting a developmental QB to compete with a developmental QB seems kind of redundant. Also any QB you draft has to have better traits and upside than Eason. With Mond aside from him being a little more athletic, he doesn’t have anything Eason doesn’t.

2 hours ago, Boondoggle said:

That is true.  He does.  But all drafted QBs need work.

And you know who else needs work?  These 3 to 5 year vets whose windows are closing, the former high picks known as Mariota, Goff, Wentz, Darnold, Winston, etc.  Mariota can't get through progressions even with good pass pro, it's so bad he probably won't get another shot.  Goff can't process his reads under pressure the guy craps his pants in the pocket.  Wentz has a laundry list of issues from injury tendency to poor reads and anticipation.  Winston has bad vision the guy routinely misses defenders which I don't know is fixable and there's rumors he doesn't study.  And so on.

Of all those guys Winston is probably the most talented.  And Darnold is the guy you tell yourself had a poor situation.  But they're all dice rolls that come with draft pick cost.

So why not just draft a guy you like.  That's where Mond fits in for me.  If you can't shake free a vet for a price you can live with then go draft another guy you like and have him compete with Eason.  The Colts are in an enviable position where they have the OL, the weapons, and the defense you need to set a young signal caller up for success while he settles in.

I'd rather draft a more polished  qb like Trask, mac jones,or zach wilson. Jamie Newman  might be more polished than Mond to. Mond  could be good as could Lance, but we already have a project in Eason.  Don't  need two.

On 2/7/2021 at 3:16 PM, Boondoggle said:

Eason will have a shot at the job which is what matters.  They'll add someone to compete with him.  I'm guessing Darnold but there's some options out there for Ballard to round out the QB room.  Could be a guy like Minshew who knows.

If they were to go get Lance in the draft and start him casual fans would think that's a solid approach but he's got more to learn than some of these guys who have tried and failed.  Electric talent no doubt.  But he's gonna go through QB growing pains. 

If I'm Ballard what I'd do from 21 is move down.  Then take Kellen Mond.  Have Mond compete with Eason.  Kellen Mond is mentally tough, confident eyes downfield and a good arm.  He is underrated right now.  I'd take him ahead of some of these other options.  I'd take him before I'd take Lance for example.

That's not happening.    

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

I'd rather draft a more polished  qb like Trask, mac jones,or zach wilson. Jamie Newman  might be more polished than Mond to. Mond  could be good as could Lance, but we already have a project in Eason.  Don't  need two.

-Trask isn’t polished. He’s essentially a project too

-Newman is the least ready out of all of them. The Senior Bowl showed that sitting out a year was really bad for him. He’s super rusty and very far behind in his development.

-Mond doesn’t have anything on tape or trait wise to suggest he has the upside that Lance does

On 2/5/2021 at 2:21 PM, NewColtsFan said:

I'll agree to credit Dakich for being straight up and asking good questions, for the most part. But it really irks me when interviewers ask run-on questions, then don't let the person answer, or cut them off, etc. I think being conversational is important, but we're here for Ballard, not DD. And it's not like Ballard is a short answer kinda guy who needs to be coaxed out of his shell. Ask the question and then get out of the way.

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'll agree to credit Dakich for being straight up and asking good questions, for the most part. But it really irks me when interviewers ask run-on questions, then don't let the person answer, or cut them off, etc. I think being conversational is important, but we're here for Ballard, not DD. And it's not like Ballard is a short answer kinda guy who needs to be coaxed out of his shell. Ask the question and then get out of the way.

All fair comments.

I think I came in with very low expectations.  I’ve read so much bad about DD over the years.   The bar was set low for me.  So I was surprisingly pleased.   And for a local person, it sure could’ve easily been much worse.  

DD is never going to be Bob Costas.  But for a local guy, in this one interview, I was pleasantly surprised.  I’m sure he’s done many interviews where I’d be rolling my eyes and throwing up in my mouth.   Perhaps I got lucky and caught him on a good day....

5 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

-Newman is the least ready out of all of them. The Senior Bowl showed that sitting out a year was really bad for him. He’s super rusty and very far behind in his development.

-Mond doesn’t have anything on tape or trait wise to suggest he has the upside that Lance does

Trask is considered  one of the best pocket passers in the draft. Several scouts  believe  he is better than Fields when it comes to that.

On 2/8/2021 at 7:48 PM, Defjamz26 said:

Yeah Trask looks the part but not sure how he's going to translate.  Newman meanwhile cost himself a ton of cash in Senior Bowl week.  I think he'll fall a bit after that.

Lance of course has higher upside.  His big play ability is profound but it's also why teams will take him high. 

Mac Jones and where he goes is one of the biggest questions of the draft for me.  I don't think he gets by New England.  They may move up just to ensure they get him in fact. 

Mond isn't some amazing prospect he's just a guy who fits that round two choice window for the Colts.  If Ballard loves Eason then of course none of that would be an option.  But for me if I'm gonna go with a young QB then I want competition. 

5 hours ago, Boondoggle said:

Yeah Trask looks the part but not sure how he's going to translate.  Newman meanwhile cost himself a ton of cash in Senior Bowl week.  I think he'll fall a bit after that.

Lance of course has higher upside.  His big play ability is profound but it's also why teams will take him high. 

Mac Jones and where he goes is one of the biggest questions of the draft for me.  I don't think he gets by New England.  They may move up just to ensure they get him in fact. 

Mond isn't some amazing prospect he's just a guy who fits that round two choice window for the Colts.  If Ballard loves Eason then of course none of that would be an option.  But for me if I'm gonna go with a young QB then I want competition. 

The best competition for a young QB is a vet IMO. Not another young QB.

8 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I was mulling it over again and I'm still not against finding out what Eason has. 

I agree. I keep looking for that 'certain' QB but in honesty, I can't seem to find him. 

I sure hope Ballard can get us out of this fix. 

Mod Edit: remove prior hidden back and forth portion.

5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I agree. I keep looking for that 'certain' QB but in honesty, I can't seem to find him. 

I sure hope Ballard can get us out of this fix. 

Mod Edit: remove prior hidden back and forth portion.

Hopefully  they don't trade the farm for wentz

On 2/5/2021 at 5:35 PM, crazycolt1 said:

Sorry, I just can't stand Dakich and his narcissistic personality. 

narcissistic radio personality...

He’s a very nice guy off the air. I don’t agree with things he says, but you have to understand that it’s why he is successful on air. He’s a bit controversial, and people eat that up. 

But in person, I’ve had several exchanges with him in a public space and he was different than what is on air. 

1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

He’s a very nice guy off the air. I don’t agree with things he says, but you have to understand that it’s why he is successful on air. He’s a bit controversial, and people eat that up. 

But in person, I’ve had several exchanges with him in a public space and he was different than what is on air. 

Well IMO that makes it even worse. 

If he takes on that narcissistic personality to be a radio host, that shows him being fake. 

Sorry. I dislike phony people as well. 

2 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Yeah.  When a person is talking to another, they have consideration for another's viewpoint.  Its called politeness and basic social interaction.

But when speaking into a Mic, talking to nobody, you can speak your mind.  People who speak their mind and gives opinions often seem narcissistic.  They're not, there just free to speak.   Not much different than saying stuff on the internet....talking to nobody.

Archived