Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eason on possibly starting

CR91

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Myles said:

I understand your point, but there have been so many more QB's drafted in the later rounds that have failed.  It's not even close.  I'm not saying that Eason will fail but some people are talking like his odds of success are very good.  I'd rather see him start the season as the back up QB and maybe get his chance in garbage time, due to injury or due to poor QB play by the starter.  

I never said I was advocating for him to be this season's starter.

My comment meant IMO he will become a starter. When I don't know because of the different scenarios that can play out.

I watched all the tape I could find and he does have high talent IMO.

If he is the back up he has to be prepared just like a starter no matter who is in front.

What Ballard said about him is really just coach/GM speak. 

We never know till after a full training camp and a couple of pre season games. 

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I hope Eason makes it. Why? He has a cannon arm and seems to have matured in his time with the Colts. He could be dynamic with that arm talent and mobility. Most importantly, the Colts will not have to expend anymore draft capital on the qb position and can address other needs. I get the River's deal. It was at most a 2 year deal  with the hope that Eason would b ready year 3 if they felt Eason is the guy. My only concern with Eason and how the Colts view him is this. The aquisition of Stafford was a 4 year commitment. I get that Ballard is not wanting to go into next year without a starter. I do wonder if it also says that they dont beleive Eason is the answer long term. 

IMO Ballard was just trying to get the best possible QB available. 

I don't think it says he don't believe in him. If so he wouldn't have drafted him in the first place.

11 hours ago, Grigson's Gaffes said:

So for context, these are essentially the best plays from his best game of that season. The silence from the Colts and their non-commitment on him ever being the guy tell you all you need to know. Honestly, it is more likely he is on the roster bubble than it is he ever starts a game.

Where did it say that Ballard was non-commented to Eason?

The Colts are silent no matter who the player is so taking coach/GM speak and trying to read anything into it is useless. We don't know what goes on behind closed doors. 

Like I said, IMO Eason will be a starting QB. When that time comes I haven't a clue. 

Let's get through a full training camp and pre season before eliminating Eason? 

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

The Colts are silent no matter who the player is so taking coach/GM speak and trying to read anything into it is useless. We don't know what goes on behind closed doors. 

Like I said, IMO Eason will be a starting QB. When that time comes I haven't a clue. 

Eason will be working  with quarterback  Guru House until training camp 

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

If Eason is in the mix for starting, then we should trade for Foles as a backup/part time starter/insurance.  Keeping the same veteran preference within the system, first Rivers, then Foles, would be the best for teaching Eason, IMO.

I say give Eason a shot !

Foles is under contract for 2021 and not worth a pick, but I like the idea of bringing in a vet like Fitzmagic or Winston who are UFA.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

if you mean he starts a game or two for someone, yeah maybe. Him being a full time starting QB anywhere? I’ll give you odds.

22 minutes ago, Grigson's Gaffes said:

if you mean he starts a game or two for someone, yeah maybe. Him being a full time starting QB anywhere? I’ll give you odds.

This is not an argumentative issue. 

Just a difference in opinion. 

Now you are wanting to give me odds? image.png.dfb4a7f75c5d6926639937ba85c460d0.png

Ballard has the habit of making late round players stars. This won’t surprise me one bit if that happens with Eason. He isn’t the typical 4th rounder. He wasn’t drafted to be a starter or backup. He had a perfect situation. Didn’t have to be rushed and Reich. Plus the team has no future QB. The kid deserves a chance.

For the record, the Colts never made an offer for Stafford. Them being interested wasnt even reported. What was reported was Stafford liked the Colts and that the Colts made sense. 

Id love to see Eason start in 2021. Doesnt look like there is anyone else thats better that the Colts will have. 

7 hours ago, Superman said:

I'm pleased that he's working with Tom House. His footwork and throwing mechanics break down at times, and they're obviously tied to each other. The training he'll get will help him navigate some of his technical issues, which may help him improve his pocket presence and reduce the ill-fated bailouts that get him trouble against the rush.

According this, he worked with House last year also. I like that.

Glad to hear it, again he's gotta show relentless devotion to his craft. To play devil's advocate though, didn't Brissett also work hard with Tom? 

26 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Glad to hear it, again he's gotta show relentless devotion to his craft. To play devil's advocate though, didn't Brissett also work hard with Tom? 

Yes he has, and I think JB has improved significantly as a passer over the years, from the ground up.

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Ballard has the habit of making late round players stars. This won’t surprise me one bit if that happens with Eason. He isn’t the typical 4th rounder. He wasn’t drafted to be a starter or backup. He had a perfect situation. Didn’t have to be rushed and Reich. Plus the team has no future QB. The kid deserves a chance.

He doesn't deserve anything yet.   

21 hours ago, Shive said:

I don't think we learned a ton from the article, but it was a solid piece.

I admittedly didn't delve a ton into Eason when I was scouting QB's last year (at least not as much as some others), so I went to pull up some film and came across JT O'Sullivan's QB School episode on Eason:

I've know I've seen his videos posted on here in the past, but I actually sat and watched and I'm now hooked....lol 

I know I saw the video I think sometime shortly after we drafted him and I've been hooked ever since. I think he has great potential so again I can't wait to watch him play hopefully in the preseason if we have it. 

4 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

I know I saw the video I think sometime shortly after we drafted him and I've been hooked ever since. I think he has great potential so again I can't wait to watch him play hopefully in the preseason if we have it. 

Yea need atleast 1 preseason game 

7 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He doesn't deserve anything yet.   

True.

He wore a red jersey throughout last year, did not get any meaningful reps even as backup. The most I see is him being elevated to a backup because he needs the reps, even if it is as a backup.

21 hours ago, Shive said:

I don't think we learned a ton from the article, but it was a solid piece.

I admittedly didn't delve a ton into Eason when I was scouting QB's last year (at least not as much as some others), so I went to pull up some film and came across JT O'Sullivan's QB School episode on Eason:

I've know I've seen his videos posted on here in the past, but I actually sat and watched and I'm now hooked....lol 

The biggest thing I learned was the work he’s doing with the same guy credited with helping with the development Brady, Luck and others. That’s rare for a 4th rounder to do and from what I’ve heard in the past, the guy is pretty picky with who he works with.

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Yes he has to earn it. What I mean is I hope Ballard has a open mind and really has plans and starts getting him ready rather then trading the farm for draft picks.

I hope he can surprise and be the guy.   That would be best case scenario by far

1 hour ago, NannyMcafee said:

For the record, the Colts never made an offer for Stafford. Them being interested wasnt even reported. What was reported was Stafford liked the Colts and that the Colts made sense. 

Id love to see Eason start in 2021. Doesnt look like there is anyone else thats better that the Colts will have. 

For the record?

That's funny being Pat McAfee said he talked to Ballard and Ballard said the Rams out bid for Stafford. 

What record were you listening to? 

I would start Eason, despite not being evaluated with no pre-season in 2020.  Heck, he sat a year under those experienced QBs, but again didn't play any downs to get evaluated.  Hopefully there is a preseason games 2021 to better assessed his skill set, performance, etc...before we can anoint him as the starter.  

For those who claim the Colts never offered anything for Stafford, I did read somewhere that the Colts offered multiple picks but NOT a first rounder. For what that’s worth. They were simply outbid. And frankly, given the ultimate price, I’m glad they were. 

10 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I am thinking more on if they decide to trade up in the draft. I wouldn’t expect them to hand him the keys. Maybe change how they view trading up in the draft or what kind of vet they go get.

I dont think they will trade up.  I just think it is to expensive. And who would they target? Fields the kid from BYU? I dont believe at all the reports that the Colts like Fields. Look at who they signed, Rivers, and drafted, Eason. R they going to trade all the way up for a BYU one year wonder? I just dont think the value and risk is there.

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I dont think they will trade up.  I just think it is to expensive. And who would they target? Fields the kid from BYU? I dont believe at all the reports that the Colts like Fields. Look at who they signed, Rivers, and drafted, Eason. R they going to trade all the way up for a BYU one year wonder? I just dont think the value and risk is there.

Zach Wilson plays for BYU

Justin Fields plays for Ohio State

Archived