Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eason on possibly starting

CR91

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think we learned a ton from the article, but it was a solid piece.

I admittedly didn't delve a ton into Eason when I was scouting QB's last year (at least not as much as some others), so I went to pull up some film and came across JT O'Sullivan's QB School episode on Eason:

I've know I've seen his videos posted on here in the past, but I actually sat and watched and I'm now hooked....lol 

12 minutes ago, Shive said:

I admittedly didn't delve a ton into Eason when I was scouting QB's last year (at least not as much as some others), so I went to pull up some film and came across JT O'Sullivan's QB School episode on Eason:

I've know I've seen his videos posted on here in the past, but I actually sat and watched and I'm now hooked....lol 

Looks eerily like the windows Brissett would not pull the trigger on, that post route in the beginning!!! 

Like someone else said, his mental clock speeds up with pressure even if it is not truly affecting him and he will take the safe option like Brissett. Hopefully, those are the things he learnt over the first year sitting and watching Rivers, those throws with anticipation in the mid range.

13 minutes ago, The Fish said:

That throw around 4:15-nice.

And Herbert looked pretty much like he does now- with better WR's.. 

They were both in bad offensive schemes. Neither team schemes for their talents. Everyone said if you open things up for Herbert he would be a stud. They were right. Herbert just had more college experience.

28 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Looks eerily like the windows Brissett would not pull the trigger on, that post route in the beginning!!! 

Like someone else said, his mental clock speeds up with pressure even if it is not truly affecting him and he will take the safe option like Brissett. Hopefully, those are the things he learnt over the first year sitting and watching Rivers, those throws with anticipation in the mid range.

The one thing about Eason is he trusts his arm and doesn’t lack confidence.

I love his attitude. If we don’t draft and don’t get a longer term vet I hope people will open up their mind a little on him possibly being the future. He is much more athletic then he showed at WA.

I am fine with rolling with Eason, but want him to have earned the right to start a game rather than the team putting him out there to see what he can do.  Reading between the lines from Ballard's previous comments, I dont think the team has a chance to determine that yet due to COVID related limitations.  

If what some people say is true and that Eason would have been a much higher pick this spring if he had stayed this past year at UW, then we got a major value pick who if he improves on his deficiencies may have been a possible 1st rounder this year. 

Anyone who has paid any attention to me knows I think he is going to be a starter.

When that happens I don't know. 

Like I said earlier, if he is going to be the back up he has to be prepared to be a starter. 

What Ballard said about him not being ready I take with a grain of salt. 

Maybe it's the homer in me but I have seen a lot of surprises and disappointments in my years. 

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Well one was drafted 6 overall and the other  was picked at hundred and something. 

And what? 

Getting hung up on where a QB is drafted is a mistake.

The odds say one thing but there are always exceptions. 

Brady-Rd 6

Unitas- Rd 9

Staubach- Rd 10

Gannon= Rd 4

Starr-Rd 17

I am not saying that Eason is going to touch on those QBs careers but I am not going to automatically assume he is not. 

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

And what? 

Getting hung up on where a QB is drafted is a mistake.

The odds say one thing but there are always exceptions. 

Brady-Rd 6

Unitas- Rd 9

Staubach- Rd 10

Gannon= Rd 4

Starr-Rd 17

I am not saying that Eason is going to touch on those QBs careers but I am not going to automatically assume he is not. 

Dak in round 4

Russ and Cousins in round 3

21 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Anyone who has paid any attention to me knows I think he is going to be a starter.

When that happens I don't know. 

Like I said earlier, if he is going to be the back up he has to be prepared to be a starter. 

What Ballard said about him not being ready I take with a grain of salt. 

Maybe it's the homer in me but I have seen a lot of surprises and disappointments in my years. 

Now that I think about it those Ballard comments might of just been to keep him motivated. Make the kid work for it. If he believes at all he can be the future it might be crazy to trade up this year.  

8 minutes ago, TheNextGM said:

More Eason talk...

Seriously, how many games are the Colts winning next season with him starting? Four? Five?

I hope I’m wrong and he’s the next amazing QB for the Colts, but I’d be shocked if he’s the starter week 1. CB is too smart for that. 

I was just sharing an article about an interview he had with indystar. 

9 minutes ago, TheNextGM said:

More Eason talk...

Seriously, how many games are the Colts winning next season with him starting? Four? Five?

I hope I’m wrong and he’s the next amazing QB for the Colts, but I’d be shocked if he’s the starter week 1. CB is too smart for that. 

15 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Rocky in round 15

sylvester stallone adrian GIF by Rocky

I would go all in for Watson with the team we have now. We have a good OLine but do need a LT which I would draft, good RB's in Taylor and Hines, I think Pittman will be better in year 2 and bring TY back for 1 more year. Our defense isn't great but good enough to usually win a few games when the offense does struggle. 

People keep saying no way Houston will trade him within the division but if he threatens to sit for a season, what does Houston get out of that? I would offer our 21st and this years 3rd round pick, next years 1st round pick and 2nd round pick in 2022, and our 1st pick in 2023. That is a slew of picks and Houston could rebuild at that point and we Have Watson hopefully for the next 7-10 years. We would still have this years 2nd round pick and with that I am taking a LT. In the 2022 draft we would still have picks 3-7. 2023 we would still have picks 2-7. I just offered a crap load to Houston and for a guy that may sit the season out.

20 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would go all in for Watson with the team we have now. We have a good OLine but do need a LT which I would draft, good RB's in Taylor and Hines, I think Pittman will be better in year 2 and bring TY back for 1 more year. Our defense isn't great but good enough to usually win a few games when the offense does struggle. 

People keep saying no way Houston will trade him within the division but if he threatens to sit for a season, what does Houston get out of that? I would offer our 21st and this years 3rd round pick, next years 1st round pick and 2nd round pick in 2022, and our 1st pick in 2023. That is a slew of picks and Houston could rebuild at that point and we Have Watson hopefully for the next 7-10 years. We would still have this years 2nd round pick and with that I am taking a LT. In the 2022 draft we would still have picks 3-7. 2023 we would still have picks 2-7. I just offered a crap load to Houston and for a guy that may sit the season out.

Even if the texans were crazy enough to trade him inside the division, teams like the Jets or dolphins could offer way more in terms of picks and draft position.

16 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Even if the texans were crazy enough to trade him inside the division, teams like the Jets or dolphins could offer way more in terms of picks and draft position.

Yeah but I offered a lot and Watson has a no trade clause. He can choose where he wants to go. I don't think Miami gives up on Tua this quickly.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

They would want a proven star in trade 

I would offer 

21st

22 1

23 2 

Darius Leonard 

3 hours ago, Shive said:

I don't think we learned a ton from the article, but it was a solid piece.

He has a 3-part series on Fields that is excellent.

His film study of Mac Jones has me very intrigued.

There wasn't a single 2020 QB prospect I was 100% sold on, but I think both Fields and Jones are going to be studs in the NFL.

Fields has elite physical traits, whereas Jones has more than adequate traits (although not nearly as dynamic as a runner compared to fields) and high-level processing that allows him to get through his reads with NFL-ready efficiency. 

Conversely, the more film I watched of Wilson, the less sold I became on him.  Throw in the labrum surgery, and that pick seems risky.  Always skeptical of QBs that throw balls that get their WRs tattooed in traffic. 

5 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I would offer 

21st

22 1

23 2 

Darius Leonard 

Sorry, I wouldn't include any trade that shipped Leonard out. 

His leadership means a lot to this team. Not to mention he is a great player.   

15 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I would offer 

21st

22 1

23 2 

Darius Leonard 

I would not give up Leonard, he and Nelson are untouchable but that is just me. Maybe Hines because we have JT but then become thin at RB if JT gets injured. Many teams I am sure would be interested in Hines, he is good.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would not give up Leonard, he and Nelson are untouchable but that is just me. Maybe Hines because we have JT but then become thin at RB if JT gets injured. Many teams I am sure would be interested in Hines, he is good.

Any fan would love any reasonable trade that would bring Watson here but that IMO that is not happening.

Keep in mind I never said that Eason should be this season's starter.

All I said Eason would be a starter. 

He has to be prepared to be the starter if and when it's his turn. 

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Any fan would love any reasonable trade that would bring Watson here but that IMO that is not happening.

Keep in mind I never said that Eason should be this season's starter.

All I said Eason would be a starter. 

He has to be prepared to be the starter if and when it's his turn. 

If Eason starts I hope he proves me wrong and he turns out good. My expectations to start the season will be low if he starts. I am thinking 7-9 or so if he is bad or similar to JB, I won't be upset with the season expecting 10 or 11 wins with my expectations being low.

24 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If Eason starts I hope he proves me wrong and he turns out good. My expectations to start the season will be low if he starts. I am thinking 7-9 or so if he is bad or similar to JB, I won't be upset with the season expecting 10 or 11 wins with my expectations being low.

Depends  on who he's  throwing to 

40 minutes ago, Grigson's Gaffes said:

If you can’t tell the difference between Jacob Eason and Justin Herbert you either never watched them play in college or have no idea how to evaluate QB play.

Eason did look pretty good considering his offensive line was not giving him much time. 

He does have a cannon no doubt. 

38 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Eason did look pretty good considering his offensive line was not giving him much time. 

He does have a cannon no doubt. 

So for context, these are essentially the best plays from his best game of that season. The silence from the Colts and their non-commitment on him ever being the guy tell you all you need to know. Honestly, it is more likely he is on the roster bubble than it is he ever starts a game.

8 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Eason vs Herbert 2019. Really can’t tell much difference.

Well....   one was drafted 6th overall.   The other was drafted in the middle of the 4th round.   So there would appear to be considerable difference even if it can’t be obviously detected. 

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You still are not even close to what Houston would want to trade him in division.  Not remotely close. 

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah but I offered a lot and Watson has a no trade clause. He can choose where he wants to go. I don't think Miami gives up on Tua this quickly.

Come on man. Miami would sure as hell give up on Tua if meant getting Watson.  

Here is the thing you’ve failed to address. The Colts with Watson even with a decimated roster a trade for him would cause would likely be drafting in the 20s or higher - in other words a spot where addressing the qb position will be a challenge. 

A trade with Miami gives them a potential replacement for Watson. A trade with the Jets gives Houston a chance to take a QB they really like. A trade with Indy does none of those things to say nothing of the fact they would have to play him twice a year. 

Plus those other teams would still have to add in additional day 1 and day 2 picks to consider a deal. 

You need to let go of this fantasy that the Colts can get Watson. 

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Houston would take a lower offer from a club that isn't in their division.  

Hes supposed to be on 1070 talking to Kevin Bowen today taking place of JMV. Honestly I would just draft a guy like Trask in the second round and let them dual it out. I would rather have one bad season and get our future QB then to leverage our future for one player

Archived