Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lions and Stafford mutually agree to part ways

chad72

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Interesting. If u r the Colts. Do u trade your 1st rounder for Stafford? Do u use that 1st rounder and other pics to move up in the draft and get your future qb? Or do u give Eason a shot? For all we know, the Colts maybe in love with Eason. We shall find out in the next couple of months if he is their guy.

37 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Interesting. If u r the Colts. Do u trade your 1st rounder for Stafford? Do u use that 1st rounder and other pics to move up in the draft and get your future qb? Or do u give Eason a shot? For all we know, the Colts maybe in love with Eason. We shall find out in the next couple of months if he is their guy.

I would give up a first rounder if I feel I can get 4 quality years out of him, no different than Buckner, QB position is even more important than the 3-tech position.

Its all dependent on the Colts evaluation of Stafford. If well protected, QBs play till 40. I like the odds with our OL.

It's not a sure thing. There will probably  be competition for his services.

I'm  assuming Steelers & Pat's will be interested unless they land a Bigger fish like Watson or a prized rookie. 

We will have to outbid our competitors OR if Stafford has any choice in the matter he'll have to prefer us over Pitt/NE. 

Also, behind the scenes the League may have a say on where he goes because where he goes it may effect business, and Stafford in Pittsburgh/NE may be more desirable in their eyes than Indy?

29 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Also, behind the scenes the League may have a say on where he goes because where he goes it may effect business, and Stafford in Pittsburgh/NE may be more desirable in their eyes than Indy?

Uh... wut?

Pretty sure it doesn't work like that.

If it did, I doubt Peyton goes to Denver, or Reggie White to Green Bay, or Tom Brady to Tampa, etc.

3 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

The league has no say in the matter.

It's all worked out within the CBA 

3 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

It's not a sure thing. There will probably  be competition for his services.

I'm  assuming Steelers & Pat's will be interested unless they land a Bigger fish like Watson or a prized rookie. 

We will have to outbid our competitors OR if Stafford has any choice in the matter he'll have to prefer us over Pitt/NE. 

think San Francisco will probably be a serious player as well.....maybe even New Orleans

but if the new GM would prefer to move Stafford out of the NFC altogether, maybe the Colts do have a shot; otherwise, I guess Ballard either re-signs Jacoby, or signs someone like Fitzpatrick, and names Eason as the backup since CB's already indicated he doesn't think Eason's ready yet.

sounds like something will have to be "unofficially" done w/ the Lions fairly soon, since Stafford's contract includes a $10 million roster bonus if he's still with Detroit in early March.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Lots of things can either change or develop between now and the start of next season. 

Personally I don't assume that GM/coach speak is 100% accurate. 

Not much is gonna change about Eason from now until mid March when the trade most likely happens

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think Stafford would like to play here simply because of our Offensive Line. If I was a QB I would, Rivers wasn't mobile at all and rarely got sacked. JT is a beast as well in the running game. 

Plus the playmaking defense. 

For Stafford id think its between us a SF. But this is up to the lions FO. 

7 hours ago, poilucelt said:

think San Francisco will probably be a serious player as well.....maybe even New Orleans

Saints have no money, their QB will either be Taysom Hill or a QB that makes under $5m a year. They are $100m over the cap right now ..$100m.

Please quit mentioning them when it comes to Stafford. Seen multiple post where you have put this. 0% change it happens, 0%.

7 hours ago, poilucelt said:

sounds like something will have to be "unofficially" done w/ the Lions fairly soon, since Stafford's contract includes a $10 million roster bonus if he's still with Detroit in early March.

An unofficial deal might be done soon, but Stafford's Roster Bonus happens on 5th day of new year. March 22nd(not early March), trades can become official on March 17th. So while a trade can be made unofficially, it doesn't have to be, it can be made on March 17th and Detroit still wouldn't be responsible for Roster Bonus.

They would be smart to drag it out as long as possible. Hopefully not, because March 17th is a long time to wait for us Colts fans to wait to know.

5 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

This is what I would offer

Lions get Colts 21 1 and 22 3

Colts get Matthew Stafford 

Im going to do a 2 or 3 option mock draft today, be on the look out. Lol.

I agree I think #21 and 2022 3rd that can become a 2nd if certain aspects are hit.

Seems like there could be 6-7* teams trying for Stafford and that will certainly make the cost higher. 

Personally Id start with our 1st and 2nd round picks next year. Problem is, if all of the below teams make the same offer theirs will be better based on draft position (except for Pittsburgh) so it may take more than that. From what I can tell Stafford doesn't have a no trade clause so there's 0 benefit for the Lions to take less of an offer to move him to a better team (ie Indy instead of Denver). As much as I want this to happen I dont think it will.

*Colts, Dolphins, 49ers, Washington, Broncos, Patriots, Steelers according to speculation.

I never liked buying retread tires, used computers or used trucks. The problem is the Colts are built to win now and that was the thinking brining Rivers on board. It would be easier if Kansas City wasn't such a monster in the middle of the road. The Colts are free of New England's constant blockade now the entire AFC has to deal with KC for the next twenty years.

30 minutes ago, King Colt said:

I never liked buying retread tires, used computers or used trucks. The problem is the Colts are built to win now and that was the thinking brining Rivers on board. It would be easier if Kansas City wasn't such a monster in the middle of the road. The Colts are free of New England's constant blockade now the entire AFC has to deal with KC for the next twenty years.

Let us first beat teams like the Seahawks, Ravens, Bills, Patriots that we will face next year before dealing with KC. We have to get to that level first. 

18 hours ago, King Colt said:

That's true but it's also true that you never know what will happen.  Bad games happen, injuries happen, etc.

I think the trick is to try to be competitive for as long as possible so that at some point good luck favors you.  

22 hours ago, King Colt said:

Not sure I agree with the "built to win now" narrative.  I think Ballard is using an approach where the Colts can remain competitive into the future instead of just a short window of opportunity.  And if they really believed this was the year then why not go get the best QB and provide some additional weapons like Tampa Bay did? 

NFL rosters turn over pretty quickly.  Sure you try to keep your stars but the rest of the roster turns over in about 5 years I think - someone could provide better data on that.  The point is you are always built to win now or not good enough to win now.  We are either going to bring in a vet as a starter or start some completely unproven guy (unless we go with JB and then we know what we are getting).   

What is your recommended solution?

I get the idea of not liking retreads - but used trucks can be excellent vehicles.  Let someone else take the big up front loss and get yourself a great vehicle for years to come!

23 hours ago, King Colt said:

I read that Kansas City is 19 million over the salary cap, so they will have to make changes within the organization. A few top players will still be there, but the team will lose many to free agency. KC might not be as dominant a year or two from now. Also, other teams will eventually figure out the Chiefs' play calling and adjust accordingly. 

1 hour ago, teganslaw said:

I read that Kansas City is 19 million over the salary cap, so they will have to make changes within the organization. A few top players will still be there, but the team will lose many to free agency. KC might not be as dominant a year or two from now. Also, other teams will eventually figure out the Chiefs' play calling and adjust accordingly. 

Sammy Watkins is gone, they are already preparing for life without him with Byron Pringle and Mecole Hardman alongside Hill and Kelce. Willie Gay Jr. was probably drafted to replace Anthony Hitchens who will also likely be gone. I am sure they will get guys like Tyrann Mathieu and Frank Clark to restructure and will draft for OL and secondary to stay competitive.

Keep in mind on the QB subject the Colts need to beat Tennessee next year and how will the Jags build round their first round pick Lawrence? So that takes them say three years if they do it right. So the Colts need to pick someone good for the next three consecutive years and maybe by then the Texans might be competitive.

Archived