Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Poll - QB Preference (now that PR has officially retired) (merge)

EastStreet

Poll - QB Preference  

208 members have voted

1. 1. What is your current choice for QB

• Roll with Eason
    • Roll with JB
    • Unlock the Swag
    • Sign FA Fitzmagic
    • Sign FA Winston
    • Sign FA Trubisky
    • Trade our next two first round picks to move up for Lance
    • Trade our next two first round picks to move up for Wilson
    • Draft Mack with our 21st pic
    • Trade our 2nd and 3rd round picks to move up earlier in the 2nd to draft Trask
    • Use our 2nd round pick to draft Newman
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Stafford
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Carr
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Wentz
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Darnold
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Tua
    • Mortgage the future biggly, and trade our next three first round picks and next two to three 2nd round picks to get Watson.
    • Other - please list
  2. 2. Would you have preferred Rivers stayed one more year?

3. 3. How much faith and confidence do you have in Ballard to make the right call on QB?

• Blind faith, I have a picture of him in my house that I worship daily
    • Pretty confident
    • Not sure right now
    • Not a lot, but hoping for the best
    • Zero confidence

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2021 at 02:03 AM

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, just saw a stat (PFF) that listed the 4 QB’s with the lowest % of accurate passes when throwing from a clean pocket (we tout our offensive line as one of the best) and I was shocked to see the names of ALL the guys everyone around here are clamoring for at the bottom of the list.  Below are their rankings and percentages:

29.  Matt Stafford  —  58%

30.  Sam Darnold  —  56%

31.  Mitch Trubisky  —  54%

32.  Carson Wentz  —  51%

So when conditions are perfect these guys can’t even throw an accurate pass 3 outta 5 times.  Are those names the best we can do?  To add a little reference:  Drew Lock was at 60% followed by Nick Mullens and Gardner Minshew at 59%.

I wonder if weve got our eyes on Mariota at all? That could actually be a sneaky good signing for us. I had been overlooking or maybe just outright avoiding him bc of durability and toughness issues. He is still accurate and he looked pretty good against the Raiders.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

I wonder if weve got our eyes on Mariota at all? That could actually be a sneaky good signing for us. I had been overlooking or maybe just outright avoiding him bc of durability and toughness issues. He is still accurate and he looked pretty good against the Raiders.

Is he a FA 

5 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

Wow, just saw a stat (PFF) that listed the 4 QB’s with the lowest % of accurate passes when throwing from a clean pocket (we tout our offensive line as one of the best) and I was shocked to see the names of ALL the guys everyone around here are clamoring for at the bottom of the list.  Below are their rankings and percentages:

30.  Sam Darnold  —  56%

So when conditions are perfect these guys can’t even throw an accurate pass 3 outta 5 times.  Are those names the best we can do?  To add a little reference:  Drew Lock was at 60% followed by Nick Mullens and Gardner Minshew at 59%.

That shouldn’t be shocking.  It should be validating.  When QBs are available, it’s for a reason.

So, yeah, we’re basically trying to figure out whose leftovers will be the most edible.  It’s a crappy position to be in, but to be expected when the guy you’re planning on having at QB for the next 7-8 years unexpectedly retires at age 29.  Getting a good (let alone great) QB is hard in this league.  And it may take us a while or require a stroke of good fortune.

10 hours ago, luv_pony_express said:

I’m not worried about him being coachable.  His former OC is our head coach.  Clearly, they get along just fine or this wouldn’t be happening.

My problem is that, coachable or not, he has clearly taken several steps back after his knee injury.  We have to hope those steps back are temporary - and it can only be a hope.

That's a good point about the knee injury. Do we need another QB that may be hindered with an injury? I don't follow Wentz at all but you say he's taken several steps back? Yikes. I would keep our options open if I were Ballard.

26 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

That's a good point about the knee injury. Do we need another QB that may be hindered with an injury? I don't follow Wentz at all but you say he's taken several steps back? Yikes. I would keep our options open if I were Ballard.

Well, he led the league in INTs this season, despite only playing 12 games.

9 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

30.  Sam Darnold  —  56%

Good stuff.   Could be a bit deceiving though.   I only say that because most times that a QB has a clean pocket it is because the defense is only rushing 3-4 players and leaving the rest in coverage.   It is still disturbing though.  

2 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

From following Colts media, Stephen Holder is someone that doesn’t usually have any inside breaking news.

So make of this at what you will.

And what ‘in on’ implies..

I think basically it means, Ballard rang, Howie asked for 2 1sts and Ballard said no.

It means some of the smoke you are hearing about the Bears is not all real. There is a bit more to this thing.

4 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

From following Colts media, Stephen Holder is someone that doesn’t usually have any inside breaking news.

So make of this at what you will.

And what ‘in on’ implies..

I think basically it means, Ballard rang, Howie asked for 2 1sts and Ballard said no.

The Eagles need to be ponying up a 1st to get out of the contract or they can sit on their dilemma 

15 minutes ago, IndyD4U said:

Meh, PR had 20 INT in 2019. That number was cut in half this year

Yeah, but a few things about that.

First, Rivers typically had a relatively high INT rate.  This was out of character for Wentz.  His INT% was even higher than his rookie season.  And prior to this, it had been one of the lower rates in the league.

Second, Rivers was never benched for poor play, despite having a huge contract.

And, lastly, I don’t exactly think PR set the world on fire enough to use him as any kind of barometer.  He had a decent season for us.  But, honestly, if we’d have had a healthy Andrew Luck, I think we’d have been one of the league’s best teams.  As it was, we had a middle tier QB and got a wild card bid.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

It means some of the smoke you are hearing about the Bears is not all real. There is a bit more to this thing.

Yeah, if the Bears were really offering what they’ve been rumored to have offered, this deal would be over and done.

And they’d be nuts to offer that much for a benched QB with a big contract on his back.

2 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Yeah, but a couple things about that.

First, Rivers typically had a relatively high INT rate.  This was out of character for Wentz.  His INT% was even higher than his rookie season.  And prior to this, it had been one of the lower rates in the league.

Second, Rivers was never benched for poor play, despite having a huge contract.

And, lastly, I don’t exactly think PR set the world on fire enough to use him as any kind of barometer.  He had a decent season for us.  But, honestly, if we’d have had a healthy Andrew Luck, I think we’d have been one of the league’s best teams.  As it was, we had a middle tier QB and got a wild card bid.

I believe he had less then ten every other season. He does need to work on his fumble issues.

Archived