Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Poll - QB Preference (now that PR has officially retired) (merge)

EastStreet

Poll - QB Preference  

208 members have voted

1. 1. What is your current choice for QB

• Roll with Eason
    • Roll with JB
    • Unlock the Swag
    • Sign FA Fitzmagic
    • Sign FA Winston
    • Sign FA Trubisky
    • Trade our next two first round picks to move up for Lance
    • Trade our next two first round picks to move up for Wilson
    • Draft Mack with our 21st pic
    • Trade our 2nd and 3rd round picks to move up earlier in the 2nd to draft Trask
    • Use our 2nd round pick to draft Newman
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Stafford
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Carr
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Wentz
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Darnold
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Tua
    • Mortgage the future biggly, and trade our next three first round picks and next two to three 2nd round picks to get Watson.
    • Other - please list
  2. 2. Would you have preferred Rivers stayed one more year?

3. 3. How much faith and confidence do you have in Ballard to make the right call on QB?

• Blind faith, I have a picture of him in my house that I worship daily
    • Pretty confident
    • Not sure right now
    • Not a lot, but hoping for the best
    • Zero confidence

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2021 at 02:03 AM

21 minutes ago, stitches said:

I usually wouldn't post podcasters' insider info, BUT, they've been getting some scoops about new defensive coaches before anyone else... they might have a legit source. Take it for whatever it's worth. 

That’s exactly the type of information that Ballard would want to leak. 

Also...there is nothing that Ballard could have up his sleeve that we haven’t rehashed. The options are the options. 

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Did he tell you that? I havent seen a quote from Wentz saying he wants to play for the Colts.

Well, he was nearly the MVP in 2017 with Reich as OC.

Colts just hired Press Taylor, another one of Wentz’ favorite coaches, as QBs coach.

Furthermore, Nagy is Shiva the Destroyer of QBs.

24 minutes ago, stitches said:

I usually wouldn't post podcasters' insider info, BUT, they've been getting some scoops about new defensive coaches before anyone else... they might have a legit source. Take it for whatever it's worth. 

He also said several days ago the Colts had no interest in Wentz......

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

While I think their coaching stuff has been good I don’t put as much faith in their player scoops. No big deal go scoop coaches but players is another story. 

True... to be fair I would think it would be more possible for them to get a scoop for players they don't want than players they want. 

1 hour ago, BlackTiger said:

The thing is this a good QB class and there will definitely be a highly rated QB on the board at their pick.  The class doesnt look as good next year and there is no telling where they will pick.

Which is why they could very well take a QB this year as I have stated.  It’s not aware impossible that they could stick with Darnold either.  There are several sports reporters who think they could and the Jets seem to be weighing both options as they should.  

The odds are regardless of what they do at QB next year is likely to be a rebuilding year for the Jets regardless which means the odds of them picking high in the draft next year are very good.  Now if they stick with Darnold and win a lot of games they aren’t going to be looking for a QB regardless next year.  If he struggles and it’s a rebuilding year anyways they aren’t going to win a lot of games and they will be in position to get a QB.

As for the classes it comes down to how do the Jets feel about a QB in the class.  I’d they love a QB not named Lawerence then yes you take him at number two and move on from Darnold.  If you aren’t 100% sold and love another guy more at a different position then maybe they stick with Darnold.

The Jets are way more than a QB away so they dont have to go QB at number two and having Darnold really means they don’t have too.  Now they could cash out on Darnold and get a QB this year and get some extra picks to address problems later in the draft as well.  The Jets have options.  That’s not always the worst spot to be in.

1 minute ago, danlhart87 said:

If Foles becomes starter in Philly would Hurts be available 

Sign RG3:peek:

No. Foles would be a bridge to Hurts.  There is no reason that Roseman would have drafted Hurts, traded Wentz, then trade Hurts just because Foles comes back. 

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yep.  Think conservatively.  The only QBs available right now are FAs, or the QBs teams are actively trying to trade.  Darnold is not yet an option because the Jets have not put him out for trade, because they have not yet replaced him via trade or the draft.

The Colts are in a jam because they are the only team that does not have a starting QB.  The Stafford trade went the way it did because DET got a starting QB in return, which they could not be assured to get in the draft or FA.

Right now, our only options are to "win" the Wentz bid, or to out bid someone for Trubisky or JB, or any other FA.  

Maybe on draft day things break loose a little more, but no team outside of the Jets with the second pick knows exactly who will be available; so a trade prior to draft day is unlikely.  Maybe Gruden will move Mariota since he has two starters, but that price for us will be VERY high, because we do not have starter.  

Philly is trading Wentz because they will either have Hurts start or acquire Foles in return.

I've been thinking the same for the last week or so... we are obviously the most QB needy team out there. And I want us to trade up in the draft for one... but if teams know how much we need one of the top prospects the price will be insane. So... I've been thinking ... who is the available QB who best combines believability of having a starter under contract and affordability? Acquiring which QB in FA/trade will save us most assets in an attempt to trade up in the draft? 

Just now, stitches said:

I've been thinking the same for the last week or so... we are obviously the most QB needy team out there. And I want us to trade up in the draft for one... but if teams know how much we need one of the top prospects the price will be insane. So... I've been thinking ... who is the available QB who best combines believability of having a starter under contract and affordability? Acquiring which QB in FA/trade will save us most assets in an attempt to trade up in the draft? 

If we trade for a vet,  we won't trade up in the draft

5 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

If Foles becomes starter in Philly would Hurts be available 

Sign RG3:peek:

Another thought:  I think the bears win the Wentz deal, because with Foles and Sirianni, they both can teach Hurts the offense.  Roll with Hurts until he proves he can't do it.

Sell the sixth pick and build around Hurts.

So what COULD be happening with Ballard and the trade talks, is working on a draft day trade scenario where if Philly is successful in trading down a few slots to another team, say to 12/13, we could have a deal worked out with them to trade up to then take our QB. 

So maybe that's what these player/pick rumors would be about.  

I doubt that we would move up to 6, but you never know.  More likely to get Philly's first trade down pick in a Philly mutli trade down scenario to build around Hurts and Sirianni.

Just now, DougDew said:

Another thought:  I think the bears win the Wentz deal, because with Foles and Sirianni, they both can teach Hurts the offense.  Roll with Hurts until he proves he can't do it.

So what COULD be happening with Ballard and the trade talks, is working on a draft day trade scenario where if Philly is successful in trading down a few slots to another team, say to 12/13, we could have a deal worked out with them to trade up to then take our QB. 

I doubt that we would move up to 6, but you never know.  More likely to get Philly's first trade down pick in a Philly mutli trade down scenario to build around Hurts and Sirianni.

I really like this

Hope we trade up for Lance or Jones 

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Read my other quote.  This talk with Philly could be a draft day trade up discussion too.  As plan B if we don't get Wentz.

Just now, jvan1973 said:

If we trade for a vet,  we won't trade up in the draft

Depends on who the vet is, though, right? Like if we get Wentz we are not trading up... but if we trade for... I don't know... Foles or something... I think it's totally on the table we trade up in the draft. 

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

Depends on who the vet is, though, right? Like if we get Wentz we are not trading up... but if we trade for... I don't know... Foles or something... I think it's totally on the table we trade up in the draft. 

If we get Foles we don't draft a QB at all and see what Eason has to offer

1 minute ago, danlhart87 said:

Ballard is leaking he is interested in QB trades just to evaluate where he would need to trade up in front of

Think About It Reaction GIF by Identity

He already know he’s trading up with the NYJ.

He’s just waiting for some pieces to fall into place.

The NFL wants Watson in LV...and LV wants Watson.

HOU will accommodate that with Carr coming back. Not only would Carr be an easier sell to fans...but it would also help his brother overcome his demons (when he was drafted by HOU). 

Once that is done...the NYJ will then be more willing to trade with the Colts. 

5 minutes ago, w87r said:

If we get Foles we don't draft a QB at all and see what Eason has to offer

Well, that has more to do with our earlier exchange on Eason I think. I don't put too much hopes on him , and you seem to like his chances. And since I don't think the chance of him becoming our franchise guy is high, I just want us to go get the next guy, while you are content waiting on Eason. :dunno:

11 minutes ago, DougDew said:

They aren’t selling the 6th pick...that will go to one of the top two WRs.

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

Well, that has more to do with our earlier exchange on Eason I think. I don't put too much hopes on him , and you seem to like his chances. And since I don't think the chance of him becoming our franchise guy is high, I just want us to go get the next guy, while you are content waiting on Eason. :dunno:

I don't think he can or he can't. Bottom line is you don't cast out a guy without finding out first.

Im also not opposed to drafting a QB, because that double our chances of hitting on a franchise guy. There is no guarantee any QB we draft is/can be better than Eason. Bust rates are to high.

I don't trade up though. If we do draft a guy, Eason and rookie need to battle it out and a vet would just eliminate evaluation reps on our guys.

Again, because a guy didn't get the opportunity to show what he has because of Covid and the fact team makeup had 2 vets eliminating more reps. You don't just move on without more knowledge of the situation.

The Colts kept him on the active roster for a reason last year. They didn't want to lose him.

That doesn't mean he is the answer, fact is, it is just unknown at this moment.

8 minutes ago, stitches said:

It’s so hard to believe or not believe in Eason. We as fans have seen nothing of him and have only seen

1.) College tape (Which shows he may have an elite arm)

2.) Comment from Ballard (Which seem to be positive)

You say you want them to go get the next guy... How is that guy anymore guaranteed than Eason, unless it is Watson or Rodgers. (I haven’t went back and read all of your posts).

Eason was talked about as being a late 1st rounder but people were worried about his work ethic. I wouldn’t judge a guy too much based on his draft position only.

57 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think offering 3 first round picks and Nelson for Stafford is better than having to Franchise JB.  JMO.

I’ve been trying for 45 minutes to phrase a response to this, but I can’t seem to find the words to say what needs to be said without being “offensive”. So here it is.

the challenge johnny bananas GIF by 1st Look

22 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

They aren’t selling the 6th pick...that will go to one of the top two WRs.

Possibly.  Philly will have to shed players to get under the cap.  They may be in a position where they need to find numerous cheap players just to field a competent roster.  A stud WR might be a luxury they can't afford right now.

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

I don't think he can or he can't. Bottom line is you don't cast out a guy without finding out first.

You don't give up on him, but you also don't make decisions based on his presence on this roster. If you like a QB in the draft and think he can be our franchise guy - go get him. 

Im also not opposed to drafting a QB, because that double our chances of hitting on a franchise guy. There is no guarantee any QB we draft is/can be better than Eason. Bust rates are to high.

Agree. No guarantee, but chances are higher with a player Ballard and Reich are willing to trade up in 1st for than a player they waited to draft in the 4th. 

I don't trade up though. If we do draft a guy, Eason and rookie need to battle it out and a vet would just eliminate evaluation reps on our guys.

No. I don't get that rationale at all. You go get the best guy you can get. If this means trading up, trade up! They can still battle it out in camp. By "they" I don't exclude the vet. Those vets we are talking about are not some no brainer starters. This is precisely why I want a vet like Foles/JB/Fitzpatrick - one that won't demand the starting spot, but will be able to push your young guys. If any of the young guys outplays the vet - start him. I don't care if it's Eason or the new guy. 

Again, because a guy didn't get the opportunity to show what he has because of Covid and the fact team makeup had 2 vets eliminating more reps. You don't just move on without more knowledge of the situation.

The Colts kept him on the active roster for a reason last year. They didn't want to lose him.

That doesn't mean he is the answer, fact is, it is just unknown at this moment.

Again - you don't move on from him, but he also shouldn't stop you from drafting a franchise QB. You've also invested a 4th round pick in him. Jacob Eason should not even enter into our consideration about whether to draft a QB high(trade up) or not. He has not shown anything to deserve this type of consideration. Maybe it's unfair, but I'd rather be unfair than stuck for one more year without a franchise QB in our building. Until you get the franchise guy - keep trying. I agree they don't want to lose him and I don't want us to lose him either. Drafting a new QB doesn't mean you let Eason go. It means you improve your chances of having a franchise QB. 

5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I’ve been trying for 45 minutes to phrase a response to this, but I can’t seem to find the words to say what needs to be said without being “offensive”. So here it is.

the challenge johnny bananas GIF by 1st Look

If you don't already know.  It was a non serious comment to show more about my opinion of JB and the franchise tag.  It's not really response worthy.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/02/07/panthers-reportedly-offered-first-round-pick-teddy-bridgewater-and-more-for-matthew-stafford/

Bridgewater is definitely on the available list. He is a name not talked about much. What is everyones thought on him.

Via Adam Schefter of ESPN.com, the Panthers offered the eighth overall pick in the 2021 draft, quarterback Teddy Bridgewater, and a fifth-round pick.

“Carolina still looking,” Schefter says at the end of his tweet. Perhaps more accurately “Carolina now hoping” someone sees Schefter’s report and calls the Panthers.

So take note, Houston Texans: Watson for Bridgewater plus picks? Or maybe Las Vegas Raiders. Or maybe Minnesota Vikings.

The Minnesota angle remains incredibly intriguing. If the Panthers wanted Stafford, why wouldn’t they want Kirk Cousins? And the Vikings could both get out of a delicate contractual corner with Cousins while bringing home the ultra-popular Bridgewater

@NFLfan maybe just maybe you could get you a QB swap?

1 minute ago, w87r said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/02/07/panthers-reportedly-offered-first-round-pick-teddy-bridgewater-and-more-for-matthew-stafford/

Bridgewater is definitely on the available list. He is a name not talked about much. What is everyones thought on him.

Via Adam Schefter of ESPN.com, the Panthers offered the eighth overall pick in the 2021 draft, quarterback Teddy Bridgewater, and a fifth-round pick.

“Carolina still looking,” Schefter says at the end of his tweet. Perhaps more accurately “Carolina now hoping” someone sees Schefter’s report and calls the Panthers.

So take note, Houston Texans: Watson for Bridgewater plus picks? Or maybe Las Vegas Raiders. Or maybe Minnesota Vikings.

The Minnesota angle remains incredibly intriguing. If the Panthers wanted Stafford, why wouldn’t they want Kirk Cousins? And the Vikings could both get out of a delicate contractual corner with Cousins while bringing home the ultra-popular Bridgewater

@NFLfan maybe just maybe you could get you a QB swap?

Uh Huh Reaction GIF by Originals

26 minutes ago, bravo4460 said:

It’s so hard to believe or not believe in Eason. We as fans have seen nothing of him and have only seen

1.) College tape (Which shows he may have an elite arm)

2.) Comment from Ballard (Which seem to be positive)

What we know about Eason:

- he's a 4th round QB. Not many 4th round QBs succeed in the league. 

- he didn't suit up once during his rookie year. 

- Ballard refused to commit to him even being the backup next year. 

I get the college tape thing... I was one of the people who was highest on him here in the pre-draft process. I thought he was a steal in the 4th(he still had some major issues on tape BTW, it's not just the attitude concerns that dropped him). I thought he was a great shot to take. Still, he hasn't shown us anything and has shown our coaching staff very little since he didn't even run scout team until Rivers got injured. 

You say you want them to go get the next guy... How is that guy anymore guaranteed than Eason, unless it is Watson or Rodgers. (I haven’t went back and read all of your posts).

Eason was talked about as being a late 1st rounder but people were worried about his work ethic. I wouldn’t judge a guy too much based on his draft position only.

It's not only based on draft position, but draft position definitely tells you something about how the league and the Colts saw him pre-draft. Unless they have very specific observations that make them think he will be our next guy, they need to still be in mode of trying to find the next guy. Jacob Eason should not be a player that stops you from drafting a highly talented QB. 

Just now, PRnum1 said:

I would trade a 5th to the bills for Fromm.

I think he would excel in Frank's short passing offense 

See, it's stuff like this, JB, Trask- the best of the rest or whatever that makes me think that just finding out what Eason is, isn't on paper worse than what's being stormed up.

Archived