Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Poll - QB Preference (now that PR has officially retired) (merge)

EastStreet

Poll - QB Preference  

208 members have voted

1. 1. What is your current choice for QB

• Roll with Eason
    • Roll with JB
    • Unlock the Swag
    • Sign FA Fitzmagic
    • Sign FA Winston
    • Sign FA Trubisky
    • Trade our next two first round picks to move up for Lance
    • Trade our next two first round picks to move up for Wilson
    • Draft Mack with our 21st pic
    • Trade our 2nd and 3rd round picks to move up earlier in the 2nd to draft Trask
    • Use our 2nd round pick to draft Newman
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Stafford
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Carr
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Wentz
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Darnold
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Tua
    • Mortgage the future biggly, and trade our next three first round picks and next two to three 2nd round picks to get Watson.
    • Other - please list
  2. 2. Would you have preferred Rivers stayed one more year?

3. 3. How much faith and confidence do you have in Ballard to make the right call on QB?

• Blind faith, I have a picture of him in my house that I worship daily
    • Pretty confident
    • Not sure right now
    • Not a lot, but hoping for the best
    • Zero confidence

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2021 at 02:03 AM

9 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Now that the Wentz deal is almost done the Darnold talk starts lol. It’s all crazy.

Houston is a mess. They are still refusing to take call on Watson and have now fired a equipment manager who was close to Watson. What the hell is going on in Houston.

Nothing is official until it is

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we dont get Wentz, which it doesnt appear to be the case. I for one am interested in Mr. 30 for 30 if he doesnt remain with the Saints. Better choice than Darnold in my opinion. And i dont think hed cost us any draft picks bc hes a FA. I am not opposed to Darnold though. I like Winston better.

Hopefully we can end up with Carr somehow. Carr is the one i like the most.

3 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

I dont agree with starting Eason to see what we have.  He either earns the job or he doesnt.  Personally I think we can do better, there isnt much basis to say he will be good right now

There isn't much basis to say he wont be good right now either.

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Idk?

I am usually anxious for the next twitter post. They seem to drive good conversation too.

Take every post with grain of salt, but is entertaining to say the least.

This. The internet, and especially Twitter, is home to the fine art of ****posting, which essentially means throwing out random posts for the fun of it or, in this guy’s case, to stir panic and chaos.

Panic and chaos, especially when it comes to neurotic NFL fans (cough Steelers and Packers fans cough) is entertaining to a high degree.

Life isn’t fun without some chaos, hence why Twitter REALLY exists.

So sit back and enjoy the chaos as these fake “insiders” send real insiders, journalists, and insane NFL fans into a spiral of questioning and panic. That’s what I do, at least.

Michael Jackson Reaction GIF

By the way, an inside source on my super duper secret Facebook group told me Watson is packing his bags for San Fran right now...you heard it here first :hat:

After Wentz is gone there really isn’t anyone else. Watson May be traded but not to the colts.  Watson and Darnold are probably the last two to fall. Jets can go in several directions. Will be interesting to see which way they go. They can keep Darnold and trade down, they can try and get Watson as reported, or draft their own QB I think the colts getting up to two is unrealistic because jets aren’t trading they far down. 

14 minutes ago, w87r said:

There isn't much basis to say he wont be good right now either.

Eh... kinda... but... we do have some basis to think he won't be good. What do we know right now?

- We know he's a 4th rounder... this is some basis... 4th rounders don't end up becoming something regularly.

- We know he didn't start or suit up for any games year 1... this is some basis. The QBs that get to become something, usually at least suit up as reserves as rookies.

-We know Ballard couldn't commit to him being even the backup next year... this is some basis. If he can't be the backup in year two, I think it's all but over for him as a long-term solution. Just... 4th round prospects don't make that type of jump(4th round -> no starts, no back up year 1-> no starts, no backup year 2 -> good/great starter) ... like... ever... if I'm missing someone, point him out... but even if you could find one, the very fact that I'm trying to think of situations like that and not succeeding shows that even if it happens it is EXTREMELY rare and you are probably not wise to bet on it.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Sports is entertainment. It’s kind of fun to post and talk about all the speculation.

Yeah without all these peaks and valleys of emotions we have been going through the last couple weeks, it would be a pretty boring time around the forum.

Even though some go to the extreme. :)

finger point GIF by Gareth Gallagher

Just messing with you Chloe. I appreciate the tweets and I am always anxious to what the next one might say.

35 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Now that the Wentz deal is almost done the Darnold talk starts lol. It’s all crazy.

Houston is a mess. They are still refusing to take call on Watson and have now fired a equipment manager who was close to Watson. What the hell is going on in Houston.

I was off-line-ish last 2 days. WHat did I miss? Is the Wentz to Bears thing all but done? 

Just now, stitches said:

I was off-line-ish last 2 days. WHat did I miss? Is the Wentz to Bears thing all but done? 

Who knows if the bears stuff is true. Looks like they might get him. Foles would go back to eagles.  Supposed to be traded by next week. Rumor has it the colts included Okereke and Doyle in a deal. They would give up 21 but get the eagles 38th pick.

Just saw this and there is some info on Carr here. Seems they are open to a trade.

16 minutes ago, stitches said:

Eh... kinda... but... we do have some basis to think he won't be good. What do we know right now?

- We know he's a 4th rounder... this is some basis... 4th rounders don't end up becoming something regularly.

- We know he didn't start or suit up for any games year 1... this is some basis. The QBs that get to become something, usually at least suit up as reserves as rookies.

-We know Ballard couldn't commit to him being even the backup next year... this is some basis. If he can't be the backup in year two, I think it's all but over for him as a long-term solution. Just... 4th prospects don't make that type of jump(4th round -> no starts, no back up year 1-> no starts, no backup year 2 -> good/great starter) ... like... ever... if I'm missing someone, point him out... but even if you could find one, the very fact that I'm trying to think of situations like that and not succeeding shows that even if it happens it is EXTREMELY rare and you are probably not wise to bet on it.

Eh...kinda...but...most of those was a product of the situation the NFL was in last year.

- He was a 4th rounder, yes, but was rumored to be late 1st early 2nd(arm talent), but rumors of work ethic made him fall.(which Ballard has stated he has done everything asked and more and they are happy with him)

- He didn't get the offseason reps a rookie normally would get.(Covid)

- He had 2 vet QBs in front of him on a team that was looking to win it all.(goal) was never going to play unless decimated by injuries(was protected on the main roster though) <- that is basis

-Ballard isn't committing to anything right now, so I wouldn't read to much into backup comments

So, I will respectfully disagree with your assessment here.

Not enough is known and you are making a lot of assumptions based on things that were beyond the control of Eason and the Colts in knowing what he might be able to bring to the table.

8 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

There wasn’t for Tannelhill when the Titans got him away from Gase either.  I am not all in on Darnold but the turn around seen by Tannelhill when got away from Gase makes it possible to believe Gase just isn’t a good coach of QBs.

That’s why I expect the Jets to keep Darnold for another year and if he shows little to no improvement draft a QB next year.

Actually, Tannelhill showed plenty of upside during his time in Miami meanwhile Darnold has just been flat out bad his entire time with New York.

4 minutes ago, w87r said:

Eh...kinda...but...most of those was a product of the situation the NFL was in last year.

- He was a 4th rounder, yes, but was rumored to be late 1st early 2nd, but rumors of work ethic made him fall.(which Ballard has stated he has done everything asked and more and they are happy with him)

- He didn't get the offseason reps a rookie normally would get.(Covid)

- He had 2 vet QBs in front of him on a team that was looking to win it all.(goal) was never going to play unless decimated by injuries

-Ballard isn't committing to anything right now, so I wouldn't read to much into backup comments

So, I will respectfully disagree with your assessment here.

Not enough is known and you are making a lot of assumptions based on things that were beyond the control of Eason and the Colts in knowing what he might be able to bring to the table.

I guess we agree we don't know a ton, but disagree about how much weight to put on the things we know. I guess that's fair enough. :thmup:

1 minute ago, Restored said:

Actually, Tannelhill showed plenty of upside during his time in Miami meanwhile Darnold has just been flat out bad his entire time with New York.

He was 7-6 in 2019 as Jets starter for that putrid team, that says something.

6 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

Thats not enough to name him an nfl starter imo

That’s why I think you just shoot for a rookie in the draft at this point. Let him and Eason battle it out and see where the dust falls. Best case, you hit on a franchise QB, worst case, you have a much higher draft selection next year and you wait for four years and sell your soul for Manning’s nephew

3 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

Thats not enough to name him an nfl starter imo

I don't think anyone truly wants him to be named the starter this year. The posters talking about him the most, just want to see of he has the potential to be the answer before we just go throw him out the way.

When it comes ro bringing someone in that might get us to 8-8, that isn't very promising, and would rather just roll the dice on our unproven guy. He either proves he has what it takes or he sinks and we have a great draft pick(top 10).

Still is last case scenario, have to exhaust all other options that keep us in contention before that. If they fall through then, let him roll. It is better than being middle of road team with mid-late teens pick and better than signing someone that hurts future salary cap space.

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

That’s why I think you just shoot for a rookie in the draft at this point. Let him and Eason battle it out and see where the dust falls. Best case, you hit on a franchise QB, worst case, you have a much higher draft selection next year and you wait for four years and sell your soul for Manning’s nephew

I would be ok with this if we dont trade for or sign a veteran, but I would still be trying to do that.  I just dont think we can get past the draft and say Jacob is the guy next year, no competition.  He hasnt earned that yet

Definitely

But if we do this, we have to throw a vet out the window, because he is going to steal evaluation reps from our 2 options and that isn't a good thing. Except vet in teaching weekly prep only, 3rd string.

We have 3 options:

1. Draft rookie and let compete with Eason

2. Sign Bridge and let Eason backup

3. Trade for QB that can be here for a while(these options are drying up, still a few though)

Just now, aaron11 said:

I would be ok with this if we dont trade for or sign a veteran, but I would still be trying to do that.  I just dont think we can get past the draft and say Jacob is the guy next year, no competition.  He hasnt earned that yet

We've done it twice before, that's why I'm kind of assuming it's going to be JB again in 21'. I'd like to think there's a better option, but it's not clear at all what that is.

5 minutes ago, The Fish said:

We've done it twice before, that's why I'm kind of assuming it's going to be JB again in 21'. I'd like to think there's a better option, but it's not clear at all what that is.

I’m hoping it’s not JB. I feel He’s good enough to win some games but not great enough to put us over the top. It would be a .500 season and we wouldn’t be in a position to draft someone decent. Looking like a 3-way QB battle....Rookie, Eason, JB

That’s why I think you just shoot for a rookie in the draft at this point.

Nothing's easy at 21, though.  No guarantee you can make it happen, and it's pretty difficult to attract free agents without a QB. 

Who knows what will happen.  I do think Frank could get something out of Darnold.

Just now, aaron11 said:

I have seen people saying that, some of them on here.  Theres more on reddit

I've said it myself.

That isn't what I want though, but if its that or just being an 8-8 team or jeopardizing our future cap, I'd rather just roll with Eason.

1.this allows us to properly evaluate him

2.Add a lot of players to the team, because his cap hit is small.

3. Secure high draft pick if he doesn't work out.

Again, this is last case scenario. All other options fall through(Darnold, Watson, Carr, Cousins, I guess Wentz). 

Its SB.  No QB news today.  The NFL is not going to step on itself by having trade news during a SB.  

Expect a calm in these trade talks to at least tomorrow, probably more like Tuesday.  To give the talking heads time to talk about the SB and the greatness of the Lebron....I mean...winning QB.

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Its SB.  No QB news today.  The NFL is not going to step on itself by having trade news during a SB.  

Expect a calm in these trade talks to at least tomorrow, probably more like Tuesday.  To give the talking heads time to talk about the SB and the greatness of the Lebron....I mean...winning QB.

I was just thinking if something is going to happen today, it'll happen in the next few hours. 

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Something to think about before hopping on the Darnold train.

He had 4 years jn Miami before Gase was the coach there. So already had multiple years under belt.

I would say his 2 years under Gase were less than desirable.

Darnold was 7-6 in 2019 and if he didn't have mono and miss 3 games he might of taken them to playoffs. Lost 3 games he didn't play.

This years Jets team was a disaster, cant have any accurate assessment from it. 

I think Darnold can be resurrected with Reich teaching him.

Archived