Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Ed Dodds interviewing for Lions GM position

Superman

https://www.si.com/nfl/lions/news/ed-dodds-to-interview-with-detroit-lions

Following the Indianapolis Colts elimination from the postseason, assistant general manager Ed Dodds will now interview with the Detroit Lions. 

According to the Detroit Free Press, Dodds will interview in Detroit on Tuesday. 

During his time as a senior executive of player personnel with the Seattle Seahawks, Ed Dodds was credited with having drafted quarterback Russell Wilson and with having been the instrumental force behind the "Legion of Boom." 

Additionally, he’s been part of a front office that drafted notables like wideout Tyler Lockett, defensive end Frank Clark, safety Earl Thomas, and linebacker Bobby Wagner.

Everybody take a deep breath...

Damn... why Detroit though? To me it looks like the Panthers job is preferable. Maybe he wants to hire his own coach rather than be stuck with Rhule? Although... we were the first team to interview Rhule for NFL HC job, maybe Dodds is not as big of a fan as one might think... I don't know. 

Also... if he gets hired... I wonder if it gets easier to trade for Stafford. I would assume as a team that seems bereft of talent Dodds would want a rebuild rather than quick fix around Stafford? Stafford seems to be more on our timeline than on Detroit's? 

8 minutes ago, stitches said:

Damn... why Detroit though? To me it looks like the Panthers job is preferable. Maybe he wants to hire his own coach rather than be stuck with Rhule? Although... we were the first team to interview Rhule for NFL HC job, maybe Dodds is not as big of a fan as one might think... I don't know. 

Also... if he gets hired... I wonder if it gets easier to trade for Stafford. I would assume as a team that seems bereft of talent Dodds would want a rebuild rather than quick fix around Stafford? Stafford seems to be more on our timeline than on Detroit's? 

That's one way of looking at it. He might also feel like Detroit has a better QB with less long term commitment, and feels like he can kickstart a quick retool and get more out of Stafford right now. And like you said, he can hire a coach (maybe one of the Colts assistants?) 

Either way, it's just an interview. I don't know if Dodds has ever interviewed for a GM position before (my memory says he has not). It's hard to see this being his dream job. We'll see what happens, but either way, good for him getting this kind of attention. 

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

That's one way of looking at it. He might also feel like Detroit has a better QB with less long term commitment, and feels like he can kickstart a quick retool and get more out of Stafford right now. And like you said, he can hire a coach (maybe one of the Colts assistants?) 

Either way, it's just an interview. I don't know if Dodds has ever interviewed for a GM position before (my memory says he has not). It's hard to see this being his dream job. We'll see what happens, but either way, good for him getting this kind of attention. 

He interviewed with the Panthers last week, but removed himself from consideration for the job yesterday.  

2 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

He interviewed with the Panthers last week, but removed himself from consideration for the job yesterday.  

There's mixed reporting out there, some says he was going to interview, some says he did... Have anything definitive?

Either way, I meant he hasn't interviewed in previous years, so this would be his first year going through this process.

12 minutes ago, stitches said:

I have to agree with you there.  I think taking a job as a GM of a team near the top of the draft gives you the time to hire a coach and go get your QB for a full rebuild.  Their roster needs a lot of work and trying to backfill around keeping Stafford is pretty risky if you ask me.  Trading Stafford would give them more ammunition to move up and get their guy if they wanted too.  There is no doubt Ballard and Dodds would work out a fair deal and I'm sure being out of their conference would make us the front runner.  Having relationships is so important and this one could work perfectly for both teams.  

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

There's mixed reporting out there, some says he was going to interview, some says he did... Have anything definitive?

The Lions themselves reported they DID interview Dodds.

The Panthers interviewed three candidates for the vacancy Wednesday, a group that skewed younger as they look for a personnel executive to pair with Rhule.

They interviewed Colts assistant GM Ed Dodds, 49ers vice president of player personnel Adam Peters and Chiefs assistant director of player personnel Ryan Poles.

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

Either way, I meant he hasn't interviewed in previous years, so this would be his first year going through this process.

Most definitive thing I have is from Keefer, who I consider to be one of the best out there.  Sounds like Dodds himself confirmed it with that quote.

That was his first interview, as he turned down a Browns interview last year.

29 minutes ago, stitches said:

Good point about Rhule. He is there to stay...and Dodds might be looking to have more input on the HC position. I think that could be a situation where is he working for Rhule...and not the other way around. But sitting at #8...right in position to draft Lance (and have him sit under Teddy for a year or so) would seem ideal.

Then again, DET has the #7 pick...and assets to rebuild. 

6 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

Most definitive thing I have is from Keefer, who I consider to be one of the best out there.  Sounds like Dodds himself confirmed it with that quote.

That was his first interview, as he turned down a Browns interview last year.

Whomever takes the CAR job...is going to be working for Rhule. That's probably why they have interviewed a dozen people.

9 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

The Panthers interviewed three candidates for the vacancy Wednesday, a group that skewed younger as they look for a personnel executive to pair with Rhule.

They interviewed Colts assistant GM Ed Dodds, 49ers vice president of player personnel Adam Peters and Chiefs assistant director of player personnel Ryan Poles.

That's definitive. Thanks.

12 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

Am I the only one confused here?

That’s about the Panthers having interviewed Dodds, not the Lions.  The Lions/Dodds interview is reportedly scheduled for tomorrow.

52 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

So does this mean he's going for a 2nd interview tomorrow?  Because putting the pieces together that's what it sounds like.  

57 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I have to agree with you there.  I think taking a job as a GM of a team near the top of the draft gives you the time to hire a coach and go get your QB for a full rebuild.  Their roster needs a lot of work and trying to backfill around keeping Stafford is pretty risky if you ask me.  Trading Stafford would give them more ammunition to move up and get their guy if they wanted too.  There is no doubt Ballard and Dodds would work out a fair deal and I'm sure being out of their conference would make us the front runner.  Having relationships is so important and this one could work perfectly for both teams.  

Other than being near the top of the draft, is there any reason to believe that the Lions want to be rid of Stafford?  

Seems to me that it would make more sense to not risk getting a rookie QB when you have one on hand.  Yes trading him could give you draft ammunition but every rookie QB is a risk.  

42 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

So does this mean he's going for a 2nd interview tomorrow?  Because putting the pieces together that's what it sounds like.  

Other than being near the top of the draft, is there any reason to believe that the Lions want to be rid of Stafford?  

Seems to me that it would make more sense to not risk getting a rookie QB when you have one on hand.  Yes trading him could give you draft ammunition but every rookie QB is a risk.  

He said Lions, I think he meant Panthers.

2 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:
3 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

Yep, typo. I meant to say Panthers. Good catch @Valpo2004.

4 hours ago, stitches said:

Rhule rules the roost out in CAR. Ala Shanny in SF, he has final say on personnel. 

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Wishful thinking but I think he will cost a 1st. 

If he passes the physical, I don't think we will gain any more value at No.21 for the next few years. We can look at it like the Buckner deal, 4 good years.

33 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Wow, they’re being very public with their search aren’t they? I mean I guess since it’s been insider reporter knowledge they figure why not document their process?

The Colts did the same thing in the search for a GM after we fired Grigson. They broadcast who we were going to interview. It’s not uncommon.

32 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

That’s great news for the Colts.  Sad for Ed, tho.  But he’ll definitely get his chance sooner than later.

Yes, he certainly will. I think he went into this as more of a learning experience, of how the interviewing process works and what owners are looking for. The experience he gained was invaluable. 

Fantastic in keeping Dodd and Eberflus for one more year.  It is going to get tough to keep them although they are smart and know that they are in the best setup. They are under a system that is coach friendly with GM/scouting team that keeps churning talent for them to work with.

Archived