Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Without a Franchise QB - The window is Closing for the Colts

ThorstenDenmark

The Colts receiving corps are below average, with no real #1.  And y’all are worried about the QB position?

Big Ben, Brady, Allen, Rodgers ... they all have vastly better receivers.  

The receivers are the weak weak spot on the offense, not the QB.  

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, PaulSTL said:

The Colts receiving corps are below average, with no real #1.  And y’all are worried about the QB position?

Big Ben, Brady, Allen, Rodgers ... they all have vastly better receivers.  

The receivers are the weak weak spot on the offense, not the QB.  

I agree rivers could have thrown  40tds with better wrs. Need a stefan diggs, davante adams, or tyreek hill  type wr. Wouldn't  hurt to have an elite te as well

On 1/10/2021 at 4:24 AM, ThorstenDenmark said:

With the first pick, the Jacksonville Jaguars select - Trevor Lawrence... we all know that, and what he's supposed to bring to that team.

We also know that Deshaun Watson will stay put in Houston, and that Tennessee is a well coached team, which bring us to our Colts.

Right now, as of today, we don't have any starting QB, as Rivers is a free agent and even if he returns for another year, we can't expect much better from him than what we got this season.

We also know he needs offseason surgery and that he will turn 40 in december.

Im not the biggest Rivers fan, but he's good enough to get us to the playoffs, but then it's game over like last night :( We had a fair chance, but we just fell short in so many ways, that its head scratching and you shout argh come on guys.

If we should have had a run with Rivers in the playoffs, THIS WAS THE YEAR.

The Colts have a lot of pieces in place, which we saw this season, but we are one or two players and plays away from being there, and now, instead of reaching the top of the mountain, I can see this team regress, if Ballard choose to bring back Rivers for one last dance.

This offseason might be the single most important since drafting Andrew Luck, as Ballard needs to choose our starting QB for the 2021 season with care. 

I see three possible scenarios for us this offseason, that have very different outcome going forward for this team.

They bring back Rivers, and due to a much tougher schedule next season compared to this year, we are stuck in the middle with a record in the range of 6-10 / 8-8 and no playoff. 

Which give us a draft pick just outside the top 10 in 2022, based on this years record and draft order.

We let Rivers walk and Ballard / Colts sign either Dak Prescott, Carson Wentz or Sam Darnold. All three QB´s with upside compared to Rivers as they are younger and in the right circumstances can be successful behind our O-line and take this team to the next level going forward. I know Dak might be franchised tagged once again by Dallas and Darnold have yet to show how good he can be, but behind our O-line and in Reichs system, I see him develop and become better. Wentz will likely cost some draft picks, but Reich know how to get the best out of him.

With one of these QB´s I see us having a much better chance next season and going forward, than by keeping Rivers, and though we next season might fall short of the playoffs, we could compete in the AFC South for years to come.

We draft a young QB in the first round, possibly by trading up in the draft for Mac Jones, Kyle Trask or Trey Lance, and we are settled for the future and bring in some complementary pieces to help this young QB succeed. 

We would have cap enough to sign big Q and Leonard come 2022, and still have room to sign free agents that could elevate this team and give us a fair chance for success going forward in a QB heavy AFC South.

So, this offseason is darn important for Ballard and he needs to get it right, as we are so close to getting there, but Rivers ain't the answer, at least I don't think he is the one that can take this team to the next level.

If Reich thinks Rivers is the answer, they need to get rid of him also. The play calling on important situations, was horrible. Another nice coach like Dungy (we should have had at least 3 super bowl championships with) will get us anything but 1 and done. We have an awesome defense, offensive line and backs. If we had a QB that could run at all, we would have been better. Healthy Brissett (resign him) and Eason, we should be fine. 

1 minute ago, Dingus McGirt said:

You know this to be an issue with Eason, now?

I don't know, but I just know that habits are very difficult to change/ brake.  Some people just dont learn how to put the effort into studying, and if you earlier in your life, didn't put that much into it and you suddenly have to put a lot of work and effort into learning a playbook, then is a huge uphill battle.

Its a mental battle and also a way to train your brain to process all kinds of information, and the sooner you learn it and how to process information, the easier you will have it later on in life.

I do think though, that he has learned a lot, and that he may have become better to it, as this now is a huge part of his job description. 

But again, I know and I think everyone in here know, that bad habits are hard to get rid of and to change.

Its like quitting cigarettes. A lot of people try, but few succeed. 

I bet that learning a playbook in college is way easier than a complex NFL playbook, and if you had problems learning one in college, then how the h.... would you get to know one in the NFL?

Learning a playbook is what separates the best QB from the rest, and even though you can be built like Andrew Luck, have a cannon arm like Stafford and can run like Mahomes and Vick, it doesn't matter if you don't know the play calling and what the playbook says. 

I honestly dont know how Easons study habits are now, but there was a reason why he fell in the draft. 

But Eason deserves the benefit of the doubt, as no one has seen him in the NFL yet, we have to wait and see, how things turn out for him.

I am a serial optimist, but the thought of our Mahomes, Jackson, Allen, Herbert, Watson & Lawrence led conference is giving me nightmares lately. Bring in Wentz and revive him with a superior everything compared to what he had in Philly. Do something! Quick! :facepalm: The power shift from NFC to AFC was so sudden. 

8 minutes ago, 07dleigh said:

I am a serial optimist, but the thought of our Mahomes, Jackson, Allen, Herbert, Watson & Lawrence led conference is giving me nightmares lately. Bring in Wentz and revive him with a superior everything compared to what he had in Philly. Do something! Quick! :facepalm: The power shift from NFC to AFC was so sudden. 

I am an optimist as well but if we trade for Wentz I will do this homer falling GIF

8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am an optimist as well but if we trade for Wentz I will do this homer falling GIF

Me...

sad black and white GIF

8 hours ago, 07dleigh said:

angry oh no GIF by CBC

Lol franchise quarterback. Those are extremely hard to come by if you haven’t noticed but I think the colts should seriously consider a quarterback like Matthew Stafford. No offense to Phillip rivers but you knew he had a ceiling coming into the colts. He wasn’t going to run or extend plays. He wasn’t going to throw 3-4 touchdowns a game but he was going to make the right decision most of the time and he was going to get the ball out fast. With Stafford, he won’t really have a ceiling on the colts. He could rejuvenate his career on this team. Great offensive line means he’ll have more time to throw it. He’s already accurate with pressure in his face imagine him without that much pressure. He’s nearing the end of his prime but he’s still in it at 32. He’s got great football instincts and I think he could be that franchise quarterback we need. People forget he was a first overall pick in 2009. He’s still an absolute stud and I think he could easily have multiple games where he throws 3-4 tds or more. As much as I like Watson we’d have to offer the whole farm for him and I don’t think Ballard would ever entertain that. For Stafford I think it’s worth giving up a 2 seconds and a 4th for him. Lions might also entertain our first round pick for him but we shall see. Either way I think that’s the one we go for. I think he’d be a fantastic fit for the colts and with Stafford I think the colts automatically become SB contenders.

On 1/11/2021 at 9:52 AM, ThorstenDenmark said:

I honestly dont know how Easons study habits are now, but there was a reason why he fell in the draft. 

But Eason deserves the benefit of the doubt, as no one has seen him in the NFL yet, we have to wait and see, how things turn out for him.

Eason has impressed the entire coaching staff and front office since becoming a Colt.  All accounts are that he has kept his mouth shut and worked his tail off.

He arrives early, stays late, and is active with asking questions in the film room.

In sum, has raved about his work ethic and professionalism.

The unknown is, how does Eason play in a game against other NFL players?  That's a crucial unknown that won't be answered until the preseason. 

40 minutes ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

Isn't Wentz under contract for like $40 mil a year?

It’s not quite that much.  Mid-30s over 4 years. But it doesn’t start until next year.  I have to imagine this was a huge factor in Pederson getting the hook.

The Eagles are either stuck with Wentz or else would likely have to eat a big portion of that contract to deal him.  And it was clear that the relationship between Wentz and Pederson was beyond repair.

I wouldnt say it's closing, but we're not winning a super bowl with Rivers or any other of these vet QBs. Let Eason play. We can use the salary we save by not going with another band-aid year at QB to re-sign a bunch of our own. Sure there will be bumps, but it might work out in the long run.

48 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I wouldnt say it's closing, but we're not winning a super bowl with Rivers or any other of these vet QBs. Let Eason play. We can use the salary we save by not going with another band-aid year at QB to re-sign a bunch of our own. Sure there will be bumps, but it might work out in the long run.

Hand a playoff team to a third string QB who had to transfer after being beat by Jake Fromm? Who nobody has seen in the NFL and couldn’t pass Jacoby on the depth chart? Or a late first rounder who might be more of a statue than Rivers? 

Bring Rivers back, get a playmaking WR in a deep free agent class. Try and get another solid corner while resigning Rhodes. Draft or bring in a guard, move Nelson to LT and this team is in better shape than it was this year.

14 hours ago, tvturner said:

"The window is closing"

Buckner age 26

Leonard age 25

Blackmon age 22

Hines age 24

Moore age 25

Nelson age 24

Pittman Jr age 23

Smith age 24

Grover age 27

Willis age 24

Turay age 25

Okereke age 24

Taylor age 21

Very true!

But in terms of "franchise looking" QB's.. Colin Cowher nicely painted the Picture that they all reside in the AFC..

Mahomes 25

Watson 25

Mayfield 25

Allen 24 

Burrow 24

Jackson 23

Herbert 22

*Lawrence 21

Just bad timing for the Colts franchise with what happened last year. in 2017 if you said Brady and Roethlisberger would be out of the AFC we'd be like.. we have a shot to dominate! Philip is such a good QB, but I feel like when all the kids on the playground move across the town to a different one and you aren't allow to go that far haha 

On 1/14/2021 at 8:38 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

16 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Me...

sad black and white GIF

angry oh no GIF by CBC

HAHA. Completely warranted. He has been absolutely disgusting. But idk man, you guys don't think there's any chance of revival? I feel like he played as bad as he did because:

1. His O-Line was horrendous.

2. The running game/physical aspect of the team wasn't respected.

3. Everything was on solely HIS shoulders, so he tried to do too much of the spectacular, as that was the only shot at victory. He's not the type to just game manage, he went out to either make or break the game.

We've seen his lows, but we've also seen his highs, and his highs are MVP level. I feel like putting a guy with his talent in a better situation where he doesn't have to do as much could be lethal. Ask that guy balling in Tennessee (I know this is kinda a reach, Tannehill was stagnant but wasn't atrocious like Wentz this season.) 

1 hour ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Very true!

But in terms of "franchise looking" QB's.. Colin Cowher nicely painted the Picture that they all reside in the AFC..

Mahomes 25

Watson 25

Mayfield 25

Allen 24 

Burrow 24

Jackson 23

Herbert 22

*Lawrence 21

Just bad timing for the Colts franchise with what happened last year. in 2017 if you said Brady and Roethlisberger would be out of the AFC we'd be like.. we have a shot to dominate! Philip is such a good QB, but I feel like when all the kids on the playground move across the town to a different one and you aren't allow to go that far haha 

2014-2018 was the window with Luck we could have done more and now it is back to the early Peyton days where the AFC is dominant again and you continue to knock and hopefully the door opens. The only problem, we don't have a Peyton level QB or Rivers in his prime. 

1 hour ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Very true!

Mahomes 25

Watson 25

Mayfield 25

Allen 24 

Burrow 24

Jackson 23

Herbert 22

*Lawrence 21

Lousy NFC East, NFC South fading with Panthers with Teddy being OK, and Brees and Ryan on their way out, NFC North with aging Rodgers and Stafford and mediocre Cousins and (insert any Bears QB), Brady only has the NFC West and maybe the Packers for complete teams to contend with after this year. He always puts himself in the right situation w.r.t football success. 

33 minutes ago, 07dleigh said:

HAHA. Completely warranted. He has been absolutely disgusting. But idk man, you guys don't think there's any chance of revival? I feel like he played as bad as he did because:

1. His O-Line was horrendous.

2. The running game/physical aspect of the team wasn't respected.

3. Everything was on solely HIS shoulders, so he tried to do too much of the spectacular, as that was the only shot at victory. He's not the type to just game manage, he went out to either make or break the game.

We've seen his lows, but we've also seen his highs, and his highs are MVP level. I feel like putting a guy with his talent in a better situation where he doesn't have to do as much could be lethal. Ask that guy balling in Tennessee (I know this is kinda a reach, Tannehill was stagnant but wasn't atrocious like Wentz this season.) 

I respect this post but since his injury he seems not to be the same. I wouldn't mind trading for Stafford if Rivers doesn't come back.

7 hours ago, Krushinator said:

Hand a playoff team to a third string QB who had to transfer after being beat by Jake Fromm? Who nobody has seen in the NFL and couldn’t pass Jacoby on the depth chart? Or a late first rounder who might be more of a statue than Rivers? 

Bring Rivers back, get a playmaking WR in a deep free agent class. Try and get another solid corner while resigning Rhodes. Draft or bring in a guard, move Nelson to LT and this team is in better shape than it was this year.

Yes because then we can actually save money to re-sign guys we need to re-sign that will cause a lot down the road. You honestly believe Rivers can win us a super bowl?

17 hours ago, tvturner said:

"The window is closing"

Buckner age 26

Leonard age 25

Blackmon age 22

Hines age 24

Moore age 25

Nelson age 24

Pittman Jr age 23

Smith age 24

Grover age 27

Willis age 24

Turay age 25

Okereke age 24

Taylor age 21

It's not an age thing.  It's a cap thing man.  Lots of money will have to be distributed soon and we will lose a few of these guys.

2 hours ago, Nickster said:

It's not an age thing.  It's a cap thing man.  Lots of money will have to be distributed soon and we will lose a few of these guys.

A lot of those guys are already signed for multiple years. Only Leonard, Smith, and Hines are going into their contract year. Nelson we have the 5th year option

11 hours ago, CR91 said:

Ballard isn't sure Eason can be the backup and you want him to start?

14 minutes ago, CR91 said:

A lot of those guys are already signed for multiple years. Only Leonard, Smith, and Hines are going into their contract year. Nelson we have the 5th year option

So yeah, we have a couple of years to get this thing right during this wave of talent.  We have no QB, Houston is getting old, and we have no LT.  Those are the 3 highest paid positions in football.

Personally, I find the premise off the mark. I watch football to see good competition. I want to see games where the team I root for overcomes the challenges that all teams face, and they are the victor more often than not. I can certainly enjoy that just as often with a solid QB, than I can with a "franchise qb". 

How sad that for some, this idea of a "franchise" QB, is the make or break point for them. (shrugs) We each get a choice. I chose to enjoy the team each and every year. Things won't start "getting good", once the "night in white" arrives. In some ways, I enjoy beating the odds. Of course winning the SB after 36 years was special, but there was no playoff run that is more dear to me than 95. We didn't quite make it, but the memory is truly wonderful. By the way, that was with a QB that man of you would not consider to be a franchise QB. This season was also very special. I see now why Mr. Rivers gave our Colts so many hard fought battles. He's got "it" between the ears. Surprised so many are quick to move on. If that guy wants another round, sign him up.

If there were say, 24-28 "franchise QB's in the league, and my team couldn't seem to get one, it would be a different story. I chose to not hang by happiness on such a low percentage reality. 

Rant off, carry on. 

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You honestly believe we can win a SB with Eason? That is the better question and I am sure everyone in here would say no.

Not right away, but I have more confidence in that then Rivers. We are not a super bowl team with Rivers so why waste the money on Rivers.

40 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Ballard isn't sure Eason can be the backup and you want him to start?

What makes Eason any different then any other rookie QB? You honestly can tell me if Eason didn't go back to Washington that he wouldn't be drafted higher then Mac Jones who people are projecting to go in the top 20.

4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Not right away, but I have more confidence in that then Rivers

You have more faith in him than I do. I don't want to judge him because we haven't seen him yet. Having said that we went 11-5 with Rivers who put up good stats. We lost by 3 points to a red hot Buffalo team and really only a play or 2 beat us.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You have more faith in him than I do. I don't want to judge him because we haven't seen him yet. Having said that we went 11-5 with Rivers who put up good up stats. We lost by 3 points to a red hot Buffalo team and really only a play or 2 beat us.

And yet, any time we were down this season like vs the browns, the titans, the steelers, the bills, did you have complete confidence Rivers would go down the field and get us the game winning play. That is what's missing on this team. Sometimes your QB has to win you the game. It's not always about the run game and defense.

Just now, CR91 said:

And yet, any time we were down this season like vs the browns, the titans, the steelers, the bills, did you have complete confidence Rivers would go down the field and get us the game winning play. That is what's missing on this team. Sometimes your QB has to win you the game. It's not always about the run game and defense.

I actually did last week. Rivers had huge comebacks against a Bengals team with Burrow playing great and against the Packers who has a top 10 QB of all-time. So Rivers is capable of comebacks. 

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I actually did last week. Rivers had huge comebacks against a Bengals team with Burrow playing great and against the Packers who has a top 10 QB of all-time. So Rivers is capable of comebacks. 

We should have never been down vs the Bengals and Taylor was more of the catalytic vs the Packers along with the defense in the second half.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

So you give Rivers no credit? Interesting.

Honestly, he had a good season, but my confidence in him goes down when we can't run the ball and we're in a situation where we need to be aggressive. For god sake, the three plays after the Pascal catch was a wr screen and two throw aways. That's terrible.

20 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You honestly believe we can win a SB with Eason? That is the better question and I am sure everyone in here would say no.

We’ll know more about what Ballard thinks of Eason as this off-season goes on.  Remember that his opinion is far more informed than any of ours.

It’s possible that he likes him as a prospect, but sees a #2 ceiling.  Keep in mind that a backup QB is a very important position and not everybody is destined to be a starter.

Archived