Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Without a Franchise QB - The window is Closing for the Colts

ThorstenDenmark

39 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You probably misunderstood my post because I want Rivers back but I just would like to see Eason play just to see if he has anything. It is a mystery, hopefully we have a pre-season this upcoming year.

Gotcha, I think Rivers coming back is the smartest and safest move. Ideally Eason could be the #2 and get preseason/junk time snaps. This team needs a WR threat, it did not come close to having one last season. I think Pittman was solid, but he wasn’t a game changer by any stretch of the imagination. If Eason comes along getting #2 snaps then he should be given the chance to start the following year.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/15/2021 at 4:19 PM, jvan1973 said:

Eason isn't winning a superbowl next year

would you rather get him started faster or waste another year ?   If i thought we had a legit super bowl chance with a veteran i would take it , but if not you start the young QB.   Sitting has its benefits but he still needs to play , he is gonna need at least 2 or 3 years starting to be great if he is gonna be great.  i would rather get started right away so by the time he is great our core of leonard nelson smith and others are still here and in their prime . they have 5 years left of prime sitting eason next year and then needing him to play another 2 or 3 years is pushing it and will require another small rebuild to be champs .   

Sarcasm on:

Too bad we don't have a young, mobile, dynamic QB like Lamar Jackson. I mean his stats against the Bills were.......

14/24 for 162 yds, 0 TD's and 1 INT

Old man Rivers stats against the Bills were........

27/46 for 309 yds, 2 TD's and 0 INT

Sarcasm off:

Just now, Four2itus said:

Sarcasm on:

Too bad we don't have a young, mobile, dynamic QB like Lamar Jackson. I mean his stats against the Bills were.......

Sarcasm off:

I'll take the classic pocket QB all the time.  It's just a matter of time when these mobile running QB's get hurt.  Allen won't last long either.  I'll take the Rivers, Brady's, Brees , Rogers QB's all the time every day of the week.  

8 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I'll take the classic pocket QB all the time.  It's just a matter of time when these mobile running QB's get hurt.  Allen won't last long either.  I'll take the Rivers, Brady's, Brees , Rogers QB's all the time every day of the week.  

To be fair, Rogers is pretty mobile for a pocket passer.

Super Elite Mobile QB´s to do well in the Playoff.

Mahomes - MVP and Super Bowl Champ

Lamar - Concussion in a blow out loss (17-3), smashed by the titans last season (12-28) 

Russell Wilson - 1 super bowl win

RGIII - 1 playoff game = loss

Watson - 1-2 in the playoff

Michael Vick - 2-3 in the playoff 

Cam Newton - made it to the super bowl and got smashed by the Broncos

Meanwhile the immobile pocket passer that are getting devalued due to their lack of mobility:

Won 23 of the last 25 super bowls.

Brady 6

Big Ben 2

Manning 2

Eli Manning 2

Flacco 1

Brees 1

Foles 1

Brad Johnson 1

Trent Dilfer 1

Kurt Warner 1

Elway 2

Favre 1

Aikman 1

7 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I would also take the immobile pocket passer ;) 

I’m with you for the most part.   Steve Young would go in the super mobile category and so would Kapernick.

I think mobility is a luxury item.  Guys like Rodgers, young, Wilson, Mahomes enhance their games with it, but it’s not necessary as the popular narrative goes IMO.

moblie QB is a political buzzword IMO.

The key for great QBing, assuming there is adequate NFL arm strength, is reading and reacting from the pocket. These attributes are  hard to quantify and that is why QB drafting is such a crapshoot.

Mobility=luxury item.  Not necessary but can enhance.

10 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Sarcasm on:

Sarcasm off:

there is a difference between a mobile QB and a pure running QB like lamar and mike vick .  andrew luck was a mobile QB who was a pocket passer so is pat mahomes and wilson .   No one is saying pick a running QB who cannot throw out side the numbers and is a average passer .  People are saying get a pocket passer who if need be can run from pressure and throw on the run or scramble for a first down once in a while like luck did .

3 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Lamar - Concussion in a blow out loss (17-3), smashed by the titans last season (12-28) 

Meanwhile the immobile pocket passer that are getting devalued due to their lack of mobility:

Brady 6

Big Ben 2

Manning 2

Eli Manning 2

Flacco 1

Brees 1

Foles 1

Brad Johnson 1

Trent Dilfer 1

Kurt Warner 1

Elway 2

Favre 1

Aikman 1

Elway was a mobile pocket passer so was steve young .

1 minute ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Lmao at Favre being immobile lol.

Big Ben was very mobile early on in his career.

Ppl hear mobile and online think we mean the Vick/Lamar Jackson of the world.

people dont understand what mobile means  i guess .  IF you want a mobile QB that means you want a pure running gimmick QB like hill with the saints .   andrew luck was a mobile QB and in many cases his mobility won us games on key 3rd downs running for firsts when the wrs could not get open or running from a trash o line and making throws on the run.  If watson was a pure pocket passer colts would have blown out texans by 40 points when we played them our defense dominated the line and a pocket passer would of been destroyed .     When you have to win 3 games in a row in the playoffs against elite defenses having a mobile QB would give you a huge advantage .how many times did the play break down in the playoff game with the bills and josh allen make a 50 yard pass on the run to keep it alive ?  if josh allen was a statue the bills would have only score 14 points the colts defensive line dominated the game and allen made key huge plays using his mobility to make huge throws .

3 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

people dont understand what mobile means  i guess .  IF you want a mobile QB that means you want a pure running gimmick QB like hill with the saints .   andrew luck was a mobile QB and in many cases his mobility won us games on key 3rd downs running for firsts when the wrs could not get open or running from a trash o line and making throws on the run.  If watson was a pure pocket passer colts would have blown out texans by 40 points when we played them our defense dominated the line and a pocket passer would of been destroyed .     When you have to win 3 games in a row in the playoffs against elite defenses having a mobile QB would give you a huge advantage .how many times did the play break down in the playoff game with the bills and josh allen make a 50 yard pass on the run to keep it alive ?  if josh allen was a statue the bills would have only score 14 points the colts defensive line dominated the game and allen made key huge plays using his mobility to make huge throws .

This is exactly it! I agree 100% with you.

14 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Sarcasm on:

Sarcasm off:

Rivers LOST in the wild card round and went ONE & DONE.

Jackson WON in the wildcard round and his team ADVANCED. 

Winning is more important than stats and I'm sure Lamar Jackson out rushed Rivers. 

No doubt Rivers is the more accomplished passer and Lamar is light years a better runner, which is a major part of his game. 

I'm pretty sure neither one is happy today watching from home.

14 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Rivers LOST in the wild card round and went ONE & DONE.

Jackson WON in the wildcard round and his team ADVANCED. 

Winning is more important than stats and I'm sure Lamar Jackson out rushed Rivers. 

No doubt Rivers is the more accomplished passer and Lamar is light years a better runner, which is a major part of his game. 

I'm pretty sure neither one is happy today watching from home.

Yeah Jackson won a game but is now in the concussion protocol. 

9 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Brady 6

Big Ben 2

Manning 2

Eli Manning 2

Flacco 1

Brees 1

Foles 1

Brad Johnson 1

Trent Dilfer 1

Kurt Warner 1

Elway 2

Favre 1

Aikman 1

not to quibble, but in his prime Elway was one of the more mobile QBs in the league, and in his prime Ben R had decent mobility (especially IN the pocket) as did Favre

the other guys were all basically statues, as you indicated

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Now Mahomes is in concussion protocol.   Will Allen be far behind?  He better sign his extension this off season before he's next.  Give me the classic pocket QB by far.  It's risk vs. reward. Watch the Ravens pay Jackson a boatload of money.  Glad it's not us.  

I personally prefer the kind of run-first system Shanahan has at San Fran (but ideally with a better QB than Jimmy G)

Elway rushing stats were pretty consistent over the course of his career, except for 1992 and 1998, when he only started 12 games. His last two seasons:

1997 regular season 50 rushes 218 yards

playoffs 9 rushes 25 yards (4 games)

1998 regular season 37 rushes for 94 yards (12 games)

playoffs 9 rushes 34 yards (3 games)

On 1/17/2021 at 5:37 PM, coming on strong said:

Elway was a mobile pocket passer so was steve young .

On 1/17/2021 at 5:41 PM, Mr.Debonair said:

Lmao at Favre being immobile lol.

Big Ben was very mobile early on in his career.

Ppl hear mobile and online think we mean the Vick/Lamar Jackson of the world.

There are too many problems with that list... 

On 1/16/2021 at 11:56 PM, richard pallo said:

The mobile qb is way overrated. 

Mobile qbs get injured far more often than pocket passers. How often has Wentz been hurt ? How about the running play to Mahommes this weekend where he got a concussion. KC was lucky to win the game.

Mobile qbs are also sacked at twice the the rate of pocket passers too. Their Oline doesn't know where they are and they often "run into sacks". Getting sacked more often leads to more injury.

Then there's the "bootleg" argument. How often do qbs in the pros run bootlegs ? Once a blue moon or they run them and get out of bounds quickly so they are not crushed by fast linebackers. I never see more than one bootleg a game. This is not college where qbs run bootlegs constantly. 

What you really want is a qb that can move well in the pocket to buy time and get the pass off. Rivers does that fine. He was playing with a ruptured tendon in his foot that limited his movement. 

Oh but what if the play breaks down ? The pocket passer simply hits his checkdown.

On 1/15/2021 at 9:06 PM, CR91 said:

The Packers game was more the run game and the second half defense. As far as the bills game goes, as good as Rivers played, the final drive to me was exactly why I can't trust Rivers. It was the same thing vs the jags the first time, the browns, and the Steelers. When the game needs to be won, he didn't make the play to win it. I love our defense and run game, but your QB needs to deliver when the game is on the line. I mean after the Pascal catch, we called a wr screen and two passes were thrown away. What was that? This team can compete for a super bowl. We have the talent, but not with the QBs everyone has mentioned. Wentz is a one season wonder, Stafford has never won a playoff game, and Rivers while would be a great coach, is not the right choice for us to win.

Are you being serious ? On the last drive in the bills game we had no timeouts.

Any deep completions over the middle of the field would have run out the clock. We were limited to quick sideline plays and the bills knew that and defended it well. There was no one open on the sidelines which is why Rivers threw it away.

If you want to blame someone blame Reich who wasted a timeout on the challenge. 

A timeout on the last drive would have made a huge difference in that Rivers could complete a deep ball over the middle of the field.

Then call your timeout. Let Rodrigo settle himself to make a routine kick. 

With a timeout we at least tie the game.

3 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Any deep completions over the middle of the field would have run out the clock. We were limited to quick sideline plays and the bills knew that and defended it well. There was no one open on the sidelines which is why Rivers threw it away.

A timeout on the last drive would have made a huge difference in that Rivers could complete a deep ball over the middle of the field.

Yeah I addressed his post earlier and brought up Rivers came back vs GB and vs Cincy down big when they had Burrow. I give Rivers almost 0 blame for our playoff loss. Maybe 10% of the blame just because he didn't complete the comeback. The Turay offsides play was the worst IMO and missing a 33 yard FG is a close 2nd. That offsides play ended up giving them 7 instead of 3.

20 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

There was 19 seconds after the Pascal catch. Plenty of time

Archived