Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

TE is our biggest need on Offense

Colts1324

23 minutes ago, Pelt said:

If we prioritized the TE position in the off-season ahead of addressing our lack of pass-rush, I can't say that I'd be thrilled.

I think we target TE in the 1st or 2nd round in the draft. I think we sign one of the 5-6 4-3 Ends that are available to a deal through FA.

7 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Sack count might be underwhelming to you, but our pass rush is rated very high, and if I had to guess, we have the highest sack and hurry % if you factor our ultra low blitz %. 

Yes our pass rush is good.  Very good.  But we definitely are going to need more.  Houston is on the back end of is playing days for sure.

29 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Yes our pass rush is good.  Very good.  But we definitely are going to need more.  Houston is on the back end of is playing days for sure.

Houston is 14th in the NFL in sacks (all positions), and is somewhere 10th-15th in pass rush win rate (DEs).

Sure he's aging, but he's performing at a very high level still. He certainly isn't a problem. 

1 hour ago, Colts1324 said:

I think we target TE in the 1st or 2nd round in the draft. I think we sign one of the 5-6 4-3 Ends that are available to a deal through FA.

I'd be shocked if we went TE in round 1, and surprised if we went TE in round 2. But, I'd been wrong before, today even.

On 12/17/2020 at 3:03 AM, Colts1324 said:

We are not projected to have a single TE with over 450 yards this season OR 4 touchdowns. 

MAC is our leading TE @ just 30 YPG...

Frank's offense loves the TE position, and we are really in need of a top 10 TE at the position. 

We are getting very limited success at the position, and we are all seeing the difference a top TE can make in the game with Kelce, Waller, Kittle, and Andrews. 

Hoping we target a TE with our 1st or trade up into the early 2nd round. 

Uhm are you forgetting we have Big Mo on the squad? I would argue that our biggest offensive need would be RG right now. 

7 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

Uhm are you forgetting we have Big Mo on the squad? I would argue that our biggest offensive need would be RG right now. 

Glow has one more year on his contract and isn't going anywhere. Pinter will likely take over at RG after Glow's contract expires in 22'. He needs too. 

On 12/17/2020 at 3:59 AM, Jared Cisneros said:

TE is the biggest need on offense IF Constanzo doesn't retire after this year. Otherwise, we MUST draft a LT early, and probably another versatile O-Lineman day 3 as well as sign another one in FA. 

Personally, I hope we draft BPA at a position of need. LT, CB, QB possibly, EDGE, WR, TE, depth O-Line.

Focus on those positions early at least, and draft BPA on whatever player of need of those positions you like the best from our first three picks. After that, just go plain BPA the rest of the draft. Get your guys and build the team the best way possible. I know our team looks great, but we have a lot of holes now and especially that will come up next year that one more draft can fix before making us a truly elite overall team. Luckily, Ballard is our GM! :thmup:

I think there's a decent chance if AC retires Nelson will be tried at LT and a G will be drafted/acquired.

We have  750 yds and 9 TDs from the TE position.  I don't understand why people think this is an area of need for us.  We have a better TE room than most teams in the league.

We don't have a superstar, but we have great blocking TEs that contribute quite a bit in the passing game.

On 12/17/2020 at 4:41 AM, NannyMcafee said:

Id say that has been true the last 2 or 3 games because these guys are getting open. 

No one complained about Peyton relying on Marvin too much because Marvin was getting open. 

Theres a Jack Doyle interview on the Colts channel and he talks about not getting targeted and that he's doing what he needs to do to help the team and it isn't about targets. 

In football you take what is given to you, and teams are letting Hilton and Pittman get open. You throw it to the open man.

I dont think TE is on this teams radar in the off-season. I see the Colts running with who we have this year a second time. 

If this running game continues to do this well, which is in line with the past 2 years, this team has the weapons and the running game to put any team away, including KC. 

Also, dont forget, the last 3 weeks Costanzo has been hurt, which has kept our TEs in to help block more often. 

So Rivers is not getting locked in. Hes actually playing consistent to the rest of the year. 

Oh, I think TE is very much on this team’s radar for next year. It’s just not as critical as OT and DE. I fully expect a mid round pick to be a TE. 

22 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

Glow has graded out as one of the best linemen in the league this year.  Yeah he’s not a big name or a high draft pick but he’s been a very good player.

On 12/17/2020 at 6:07 AM, Smonroe said:

Depth at (and future) LT is our biggest need on Offense.  

Like it our not, it’s TE by committee.  There are lots of TEs that could join that committee.  

I’d just say depth at tackle in general but yes finding the left tackle of the future is the biggest need on offense.  

On 12/17/2020 at 10:01 AM, indykmj said:

Re MAC, the question is, why doesn't he play more snaps ?

Not sure where his ceiling is. But to the extent that Burton is taking snaps from MAC

(and he definitely is; Doyle has a different skill-set than MAC), I'm not a fan.

Is it just me or does MAC seem to be on the injury report alot?

50 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Glow has graded out as one of the best linemen in the league this year.  Yeah he’s not a big name or a high draft pick but he’s been a very good player.

Thats interesting , because watching him 1 v 1 Defensive lineman seem to get the better of him. I’ve seen him get pummeled on many occasions this season.

30 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

Thats interesting , because watching him 1 v 1 Defensive lineman seem to get the better of him. I’ve seen him get pummeled on many occasions this season.

For a guy who they claimed off the waver wire back in 2018 and plugged him in at RG, I have to say he's exceeded all expectations. I like Glowinski but I was literally hoping the Colts would snag Damien Lewis in the NFL Draft, but the Seahawks got him.

9 hours ago, Hoose said:

Oh, I think TE is very much on this team’s radar for next year. It’s just not as critical as OT and DE. I fully expect a mid round pick to be a TE. 

You could be right and I wouldn't be upset. I just could see them resigning Burton and continuing with this. I would also put CB ahead of TE. 

Its nice to have but for this team not a "need" let alone the biggest. 

Allie-Cox, Doyle, and Burton are all free agents after the season. I'm okay with allowing Doyle to walk and I'm still on the fence with Allie-Cox. Either way, the TE position is going to be addressed either in the draft or free agency, or possibly both. I would love Pat Freighter from Penn State in the 2021 NFL Draft.

22 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I think there's a decent chance if AC retires Nelson will be tried at LT and a G will be drafted/acquired.

Interesting.  If it was anyone but Q, I would say leave well enough alone, but he may just be the one to make such a move.  If he could maintain all-pro status at LT, wow!!!

1 hour ago, TheLegend87 said:

Allie-Cox, Doyle, and Burton are all free agents after the season. I'm okay with allowing Doyle to walk and I'm still on the fence with Allie-Cox. Either way, the TE position is going to be addressed either in the draft or free agency, or possibly both. I would love Pat Freighter from Penn State in the 2021 NFL Draft.

Doyle isn't a FA, MAC is an ERFA and will cost under a million.

I wouldn't be surprised for Doyle to get his walking papers though, as it would save $4.35m in cap space.

I don’t subscribe to the idea that TE is our biggest need.   As w87r has shown, as a group, our TE’s are doing fine.  Frank knows how to use guys in our system.

LT is a bigger need.

WR is a much bigger need.  Our WRs scare no one.   This is another very good group of WRs in the draft.   I’d like another bite at that apple before tight end. 

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t subscribe to the idea that TE is our biggest need.   As w87r has shown, as a group, our TE’s are doing fine.  Frank knows how to use guys in our system.

LT is a bigger need.

WR is a much bigger need.  Our WRs scare no one.   This is another very good group of WRs in the draft.   I’d like another bite at that apple before tight end. 

Watch how the Texans guarded TY today.  He scared them.  They had a linebacker chucking him at the line a corner on him and safety over the top for help.  Even still in crunch time TY made a huge play.  

still I am not sure if the Colts bring Hilton back and without him you are right no one else is scaring people yet.  I think Pittman will get there.  He still makes a lot of rookie mistakes but has the tools and shown the flashes on being a really good player in this league but he has to get there.  You can’t count on Campbell to stay healthy at this point and beyond that you have a guy who hasn’t played yet but will be in the future plans and bunch of soon to be free agents.  Even a guy like Pascal who does the dirty work and has earned his starting spot and is a solid player if brought back isn’t going to scare anyone.  

Still you can only have so many bodies at one position.  To me the need at WR depends on what the Colts do with Hilton this off-season and what kind of leap the Colts think Pittman will make.  

I fully agree the Colts need to look at offensive tackle high in this draft not just for depth but to start thinking about how they are going to replace AC.  Corner or pass rusher and obviously QB if one they really like slips are the other options they could go in round one IMO but I think it will be a tackle.  

As for tightend I think people are wanting a Dallas Clark type guy a WR in a tightends body and the Colts don’t really have that right now.  Doyle is as traditional of a tight end as you can get which isn’t a bad thing and Cox is of the same mold.  Burton is the closest thing they have to it but to me he just doesn’t seem to fit in this offense.  Yes he’s made plays but him and Rivers just don’t seem on the same page.  Maybe that would get better if he was given another year with him but I think the Colts will move on from him his off-season.  So they will probably be looking for another tightend this off-season but even so I would agree it’s not their biggest need on offense.  

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Watch how the Texans guarded TY today.  He scared them.  They had a linebacker chucking him at the line a corner on him and safety over the top for help.  Even still in crunch time TY made a huge play.  

still I am not sure if the Colts bring Hilton back and without him you are right no one else is scaring people yet.  I think Pittman will get there.  He still makes a lot of rookie mistakes but has the tools and shown the flashes on being a really good player in this league but he has to get there.  You can’t count on Campbell to stay healthy at this point and beyond that you have a guy who hasn’t played yet but will be in the future plans and bunch of soon to be free agents.  Even a guy like Pascal who does the dirty work and has earned his starting spot and is a solid player if brought back isn’t going to scare anyone.  

Still you can only have so many bodies at one position.  To me the need at WR depends on what the Colts do with Hilton this off-season and what kind of leap the Colts think Pittman will make.  

I fully agree the Colts need to look at offensive tackle high in this draft not just for depth but to start thinking about how they are going to replace AC.  Corner or pass rusher and obviously QB if one they really like slips are the other options they could go in round one IMO but I think it will be a tackle.  

As for tightend I think people are wanting a Dallas Clark type guy a WR in a tightends body and the Colts don’t really have that right now.  Doyle is as traditional of a tight end as you can get which isn’t a bad thing and Cox is of the same mold.  Burton is the closest thing they have to it but to me he just doesn’t seem to fit in this offense.  Yes he’s made plays but him and Rivers just don’t seem on the same page.  Maybe that would get better if he was given another year with him but I think the Colts will move on from him his off-season.  So they will probably be looking for another tightend this off-season but even so I would agree it’s not their biggest need on offense.  

Assuming Rivers and Castonzo both come back, there is no big hole on the offense other than TE. 

Yes, we need replacements. But with them playing, TE is the weakest link on our offense. 

3 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

Assuming Rivers and Castonzo both come back, there is no big hole on the offense other than TE. 

Yes, we need replacements. But with them playing, TE is the weakest link on our offense. 

Disagree.  I think tightends have actually played well this year.  Also depending on what the Colts do with Hilton this off-season replacing the number one WR is a much bigger hole than tightend when you have two good ones in Doyle and Mo who will probably be back (Mo will be a RFA).  

Also, given the fact the Colts have zero depth at tackle behind AC and Smith and even if AC comes back you know he’s not going to be here much longer I am more concerned about tackle than I am tightend for the larger picture.  

50 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Good post.    My comments about TYH were intended more for his future.   His trend line is already in the wrong direction.   So how much more does he deteriorate in the next year or two?    Hard to see Ballard offering more than a year or two unless it’s structured in a way the Colts can get out with minimum damage.  

I’m  very optimistic about Pittman.  And I continue to believe in Campbell.  Can one player have terrible luck three straight years?   He seems due for a breakout season.   Zack remains useful.   But there are still enough questions that I think we have to invest in another WR in yet another very good WR draft class.  Maybe a free agent WR as well?  

I know tight end remains a question.   I’m sure Ballard will try to do something.   But the final fix might not come until 2022.   I think Frank can work with this group one more year. 

Fascinating off-season to come....

22 minutes ago, IinD said:

Without hating on Doyle too much because I'm a fan of his I could definitely see myself keeping MO and hitting reset on the other 2 spots if I was in charge.

I don't think they'd spend high draft spots on it though.

I don’t think they will move on from Doyle.  They use him a lot in blocking which is frankly his biggest value to the team.  I notice a couple of times today he drew the Watt assignment and lost one pretty bad but held his own on the others.  There aren’t many tightends in the league who can say that.  

A couple things here

1) I don’t agree with the premise that TE is the biggest need.  OT, DE and corner I see as larger 2021 needs. 

2) Collectively the group they have now is pretty good. I am not sure how the position stacks up against the rest of the league but I don’t watch the games and think they are severely lacking in that position.  And all 3 of those guys are UDFAs. 

3) Most common “mistake” made on this site around draft time is that biggest need is a direct correlation on when to use draft capital and that is simply not correct in many instances. It is the way fans think vs  how Ballard does.

The Colts TEs are good not great and not a single pick was used on them. I do think there will be new TEs on the 2021 roster but that the new player(s) will be taken in rounds 1 or 2 is far from certain. 

Archived