Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bleacher Report Said it Best...

WarGhost21

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ok...   I’ll ask.  

What are the comparisons between Sam Darnold and Andrew Luck?

Both are 6'4" and about 230 pounds? lol

I would say Darnold has athletic ability but I don't think he's even close to as athletic as Luck.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ok...   I’ll ask.  

What are the comparisons between Sam Darnold and Andrew Luck?

I have seen a lot of people compare their playing styles. I should of put a ? after personality. I was asking a question whether Ballard and Reich think he can be redeemed or rob much damage has been done.

2 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I’m not sure about this guy’s take, or at least I don’t think Rivers is the only problem.

One thing I will say though, and I’ve said it since the offseason, Rivers arm is almost toast. Sure, not an unpopular thing to say now, although it was when Reich (unsurprisingly) said Rivers arm wasn’t diminished. Anyways, my point is that Rivers was already turnover prone. So, couple that with a lack of arm talent? I’m basically going into every game expecting at least 1 INT and multiple close calls.

I mentioned this before the season on here and multiple radio shows in the area, got absolutely reamed by people who don’t watch any team other than the Colts. Now we’re five games into the season the amount of people who won’t admit they were wrong has dwindled to the low single digits. It’s back to the drawing board at the end of the year. Another issue is that there was an unprecedented amount out of quality free agent QB’s available this off-season and the Colts ended up paying $25 M for one who was diminished because he had familiarity with the head coach. A head coach who ended up getting fired when he worked with said QB, and that was in Rivers prime. The year Reich was fired by the Chargers they were 31st in the run, now we’re last in the league in yards per rushing attempt and have a turnover prone QB with a diminished arm. Frank’s fate might be the same here as well. 

A couple of points.  I thought Rivers played well in the chicago game on the road.  No he didn't light it up, but he protected the ball and helped us win the game.

I think it was EastStreet that posted Rivers had one of the highest QBR's against the bears who have a pretty good defense.  Better than Ryan, Stafford and Brady.

He had a bad game against Cleveland but was being pressured at a very high degree.

So it seems strange that people are saying he can't play at a high level against very good defenses on the road.

1 hour ago, Bolts2Colts said:

How come Manning only had one SB win in his entire illustrious career? It is a team sport and incredibly difficult to get to SB. 

Herbert has better arm and mobility than Rivers but if the QB’s arm strength and mobility were deciding factors they wouldn’t be 1-4. 

Chargers  defense  is bad.  If herbert was starting  here he'd be  4-1 or 5-0

3 minutes ago, PrNum1 said:

A couple of points.  I thought Rivers played well in the chicago game on the road.  No he didn't light it up, but he protected the ball and helped us win the game.

I think it was EastStreet that posted Rivers had one of the highest QBR's against the bears who have a pretty good defense.  Better than Ryan, Stafford and Brady.

He had a bad game against Cleveland but was being pressured at a very high degree.

So it seems strange that people are saying he can't play at a high level against very good defenses on the road.

Rivers  has not been playing  at a high at all besides completion percentage. Completing alot of passes is bad if you aren't  completing  enough td passes. Even Brissett  was leagues  better in the redzone throwing  tds.

2 hours ago, King Colt said:

With the Chargers Rivers has 4 division titles, 6 post season games going 5-6 in those post season games and no SB. My main gripe is his lack of mobility and in close games with only a couple minutes to play or red zone plays it is huge to have a mobile QB.  The Saints use Jason Hill for special plays why not use Brissett in the same way?

winning the division 4 times in 17 years is pretty bad .  the reason i was against signing rivers is even with loaded teams he missed the playoffs and under performed in his prime.   he was on teams with LT gates , vince jackson  and always had loaded talent on offense and defense .  Rivers would still miss the playoffs .   i used to call him the most overrated QB of all time , tony romos clone but just played double the seasons .  I hope the colts can win go to the playoffs with rivers but if rivers struggled to make the playoffs with loaded rosters in his prime it worries me with him being almost 40 .  Especially with a young team.

4 hours ago, Smonroe said:

How can anyone who watched the first half of the Browns game say Indy is a excellent defensive team?  Indy has played good defense in games, and also looked horrible.

As far as the O line - it's like once you get a reputation everyone buys in.  The O Line has not been playing as well as last year.  And we all saw that we have no depth at T.  Not to mention the injury to skill players.

All that being said, you can't blame Rivers.  No one thought he was going to be a savior.  He's exactly who we thought he was when they brought him in.

They were #1 on paper going in to the Browns game not because of it as we all witnessed.

6 hours ago, WarGhost21 said:

The following is a quote from Gary Davenport in Bleacher Report's Power Rankings heading into Week 6:

I have to absolutely agree with Davenport on this topic. Phillip Rivers has really held the team back this season. The defense has done very well this season, the offensive line is still really good, we have a good group of running backs, and our coaching is still fine. It's on Rivers, as he has been just a shell of his former self this season.

However, I must say that I hope Rivers is our QB until the end of the season. The Brissett experiment did not work at all last season, so while he might come in to start at some point, it would still likely be a downgrade. For the crowds who have wanted Eason to get in there, we've all seen what has happened to QBs thrown to the fire too early. I'd rather wait and let him develop until next season, and not throw him to the wolves and destroy his development plans. There are also no outside names that could come in to be an upgrade, as any QB that could be an improvement is already on another roster and would cost a pretty penny to acquire.

This team is ready to win now, with our youth giving us a wide window to get it done. While I would like us to make the postseason, I'm more than fine with us failing this season, getting a top player in the draft again, adding a QB in the offseason or seeing what we have in Eason, and winning next year. We likely aren't winning this season with Rivers, but the outlook for the future is still very bright!

Excellent defense that got wrecked by Minshew and Mayfield.  A great OL and good RB that are last in the NFL in YPC.

Seems to be missing some things.

Here's the truth: those who were against the Rivers signing in the off-season will pound their chest after every loss and pretend the Colts are SB contenders if not for Rivers.  It's complete nonsense.

The season is still young, and the offense will improve.  The ultimate short term goals for this team are still attainable.

1 hour ago, coming on strong said:

winning the division 4 times in 17 years is pretty bad .  the reason i was against signing rivers is even with loaded teams he missed the playoffs and under performed in his prime.   he was on teams with LT gates , vince jackson  and always had loaded talent on offense and defense .  Rivers would still miss the playoffs .   i used to call him the most overrated QB of all time , tony romos clone but just played double the seasons .  I hope the colts can win go to the playoffs with rivers but if rivers struggled to make the playoffs with loaded rosters in his prime it worries me with him being almost 40 .  Especially with a young team.

Your take is completely wrong.  All this talk of Rivers' loaded teams year after year is hilarious.  Two average OLs, the rest bad to worst.  And the Chargers defense hasn't been legit for over a decade.  Also keep in mind the coaches were Not Turner, Mike McCoy, and Anthony Lynn.  There's a reason the Chargers have had 3 HOF QBs play for a combined 30+ seasons but zero super bowls.

They had one legit window, from 2006-2008, and it wasn't Rivers who failed them in the playoffs.  Other than that, he carried a bad team for a long time and made them somewhat relevant.

1 hour ago, coming on strong said:

The Chargers once had #1 offense and #1 defense and still missed playoffs. Was that Rivers’ fault?  His head coaches were Norv Turner, Mike McCoy and Anthony Lynn (run, run, pass if you have a lead).  Chargers are a joke. 

8 minutes ago, DontEverGiveUp said:

Your take is completely wrong.  All this talk of Rivers' loaded teams year after year is hilarious.  Two average OLs, the rest bad to worst.  And the Chargers defense hasn't been legit for over a decade.  Also keep in mind the coaches were Not Turner, Mike McCoy, and Anthony Lynn.  There's a reason the Chargers have had 3 HOF QBs play for a combined 30+ seasons but zero super bowls.

They had one legit window, from 2006-2008, and it wasn't Rivers who failed them in the playoffs.  Other than that, he carried a bad team for a long time and made them somewhat relevant.

And in that legit window, Rivers was 2-0 in the playoffs against Manning’s Colts while LT was injured. He can obviously win playoff games against good teams. 

at the OP, will you being saying the same thing about Rivers if he throws for like 250 Yards, 2 TD's and no INT's against the Bengals and we win? Just asking. I think it is a little early for anyone to throw Rivers under the bus. 5 games isn't enough of a sample size.  We are 3-2, not 1-4 like his ex team is. Now if we don't beat the Bengals and he plays bad then ok it is time to worry. Like @NewColtsFan said, Davenport is also factually wrong on some points as well. 

12 minutes ago, Bolts2Colts said:

And in that legit window, Rivers was 2-0 in the playoffs against Manning’s Colts while LT was injured. He can obviously win playoff games against good teams. 

2006-2009 was his best shot at a ring with the Chargers. They had some very good teams then. The Chargers in those years had very suspect coaching during those playoff runs though. Injuries to Rivers and LT hurt them in 2007 when they took on the Pats in the AFC Title Game. Rivers still played but wasn't near 100%.

6 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Wouldn’t it be nice to have a QB and team that could put up points where a turnover here or there doesn’t kill us. A QB that makes a defense defend the entire field. It’s getting old that we have to play a perfect game to win. That barely happens with any team. 

So.... like a franchise QB? If only Ballard had thunk about it. In hindsight it seems glaring that a GM wouldn't think a QB was the most important part of the team. 

Supply vs demand is a huge problem there. 

Let's play the game then. It's the day after Andrew Luck retires, what does Chloe the GM do to fix the QB position having been left sans franchise QB. 

10 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

So.... like a franchise QB? If only Ballard had thunk about it. In hindsight it seems glaring that a GM wouldn't think a QB was the most important part of the team. 

Supply vs demand is a huge problem there. 

Let's play the game then. It's the day after Andrew Luck retires, what does Chloe the GM do to fix the QB position having been left sans franchise QB. 

Don’t get me wrong. I understand the circumstances that have led to all of this. I am not stupid.  This team can’t go on very much longer without finding the guy though. We are ready to win.

5 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Sell the farm for Lawrence or lose a bit for Lance

We can't lose enough to get Lawrence, even if we lost out. The two NY teams are battling for Lawrence as are several others. They aren't going to trade out of that pick either and I think 5 teams are going to win less than 4 games and we aren't losing out. We're in QB hell for a long time with the good young players but no QB. Unless Eason rises up like Mahommes did we're in BIG trouble. Too bad to compete in the playoffs, too good to draft a top QB. 

We are in the weeds until Ballard and Reich get fired, we bottom out and get a top draft pick or we find someone in later rounds like Brady or Wilson. 

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

As far as Darnold what is his personality. Can a new coach and scenery bring out the best and hope he isn’t broken. There is a lot of comparisons with him and  Luck.

I’m glad I’m not the only one thinking about Darnold.

I feel like he’s potentially a QB who could do much better in a situation like ours than in a dumpster fire like the Jets.  And we could probably get him cheap.

Yeah, it’s possible that Eason could be a diamond in the rough.  But it’s too early to tell.

The problems plaguing Rivers seem like ones that are likely to get worse rather than better. I’ve literally seen high school quarterbacks with better velocity than what he’s got right now.

15 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

I’m glad I’m not the only one thinking about Darnold.

I feel like he’s potentially a QB who could do much better in a situation like ours than in a dumpster fire like the Jets.  And we could probably get him cheap.

Yeah, it’s possible that Eason could be a diamond in the rough.  But it’s too early to tell.

The problems plaguing Rivers seem like ones that are likely to get worse rather than better. I’ve literally seen high school quarterbacks with better velocity than what he’s got right now.

I am also thinking about Darnold.  I could see him with us getting his confidence back along with receiving better coaching.  Like you said he should be affordable.  We could start next camp with him and Eason and see what happens.  BTW i think Rivers is strictly a game manager now.  We can still win with him but expecting him to bring us back from a large deficit is asking too much I believe.  

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

Everyone said the oline made Mack. It’s clear now Mack was pretty damn good and Taylor still has a lot to learn. 

Taylor is on pace for right under 1000 yards which is always impressive for a rookie. 

His YPC will get better with experience. 

19 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Until Ballard admits the QB position is the most important on any team we are going to be stuck in QB hell. If we are eliminated  from the playoffs with a couple games to go Eason must play so we can see what we have before the draft.

I thought QB hell was Art Schlichter, Mike Pagel, Garry Hogeboom. Personally I think we are in QB purgatory.

18 hours ago, shakedownstreet said:

It's similar to all the nonsense about Watson somehow being better off without Hopkins everyone was regurgitating in the off season

Was that on the Texans board?   I didn't hear anyone say Houston was better off without Hopkins.   Quite the opposite.  

22 hours ago, JPFolks said:

I wonder how we'd be playing with San Diego's current Rookie or Cincy's current Rookie.  We likely could never have gotten to #1, but we might have gotten to #9 to bet SD to the punch.  He sure looks better than either of our top 2 QBs and would give us a better chance to win.  "In spite of" is only relevant if there was a better option.  You've stated above that Rivers is better than Brissett, and though you may be right, the only reason is my view is his quick release.  He has nothing else over Brissett.  And Brissett at least didn't turn it over as often.  18 TDs and 6 INTS.  Rivers is on pace for 12TDs and 16INTS.   Brissett could move way better than Rivers.  (Rivers makes Manning look quick).  Brissett protected the ball more than anything.  Some said TOO much.  He was very careful, the opposite of a gunslinger.  BUT... with this defense playing this well, imagine the Brown's game without a turnover or 2TD passes instead of 1 and no safety? I am not a Brissett fan, but if Rivers is this bad against the softest first 5 games in the league, imagine how horrendous it will be when we play GB, Bal, LV, TN twice etc.?  It looks like we're headed for .500 or worse.  

If we finish as bad or worse than last year, and are stuck in mid round hell unable to get a top QB prospect, we'll be stuck chasing other QB castoffs.  

People said I was crazy when I suggested we sign Dalton last spring and trade up as high as we could for one of the top rookies.  It will be interesting to see how he does with Dallas (anyone want to guess now whether he can take that team to the playoffs?)

Additionally,  it will also be interesting to see where Foles ends up in Chicago against a lot of teams we play.  (We'll each have 10  games against common opponents).  If he ALSO tanks, that will be a further bad look on Reich and Ballard as he was also in the running here by many reports.  

Who else will be available next year outside of the top 2 picks? We'll have 45 extra million off the books.  Anyone fear they might take a shot at the injured Dak?  

Ballard was not put in a great position by Luck retiring...however he can't be afraid to take a risk on the position. He said he won't force it...but what it means...he won't take a risk.

Drafting a 4th round lottery ticket has no downside. You either look like a genius OR it's just yet another 4th round QB that wasn't really expected to do much. 

I don't think Herbert was a realistic option...especially with LAC on him all draft season. And of course Tua and Burrow weren't either. But I do think Jordan Love was...and until I see Jordan Love fail at the NFL level...I am going to question not moving up from there. Time might prove me wrong...and that's fine...but I also don't think that getting Love would have set this team back.

4 hours ago, Myles said:

Was that on the Texans board?   I didn't hear anyone say Houston was better off without Hopkins.   Quite the opposite.  

I don't think I said they were better off without him...but I did say Watson would be fine. And lo and behold...Watson actually has a higher passer rating and is on pace for more yards and TDs without Hopkins. That's because Watson is a great QB...him being not a great QB is something people around here like to try to debate for some reason.

36 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Ballard was not put in a great position by Luck retiring...however he can't be afraid to take a risk on the position. He said he won't force it...but what it means...he won't take a risk.

Drafting a 4th round lottery ticket has no downside. You either look like a genius OR it's just yet another 4th round QB that wasn't really expected to do much. 

I don't think Herbert was a realistic option...especially with LAC on him all draft season. And of course Tua and Burrow weren't either. But I do think Jordan Love was...and until I see Jordan Love fail at the NFL level...I am going to question not moving up from there. Time might prove me wrong...and that's fine...but I also don't think that getting Love would have set this team back.

I didn't want Love, I think he was overrated.   I'm happy we stayed put and took Pittman.  

Rivers was a risk Ballard took.   Hindsight is fine, but the team has a winning record with an old QB new to the team without preseason.  This offseason will be the test to see how serious Ballard is with updating the position.  

7 minutes ago, Myles said:

I didn't want Love, I think he was overrated.   I'm happy we stayed put and took Pittman.  

Rivers was a risk Ballard took.   Hindsight is fine, but the team has a winning record with an old QB new to the team without preseason.  This offseason will be the test to see how serious Ballard is with updating the position.  

Yeah...there is a lot of chicken little mindset here. Season is far from over. But anything below 10 wins has to mean another approach at QB this offseason.

31 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Yeah...there is a lot of chicken little mindset here. Season is far from over. But anything below 10 wins has to mean another approach at QB this offseason.

I totally agree.   I think right now that the team could win 10 games and a playoff game which could mean we go with Rivers for another season.  They could also only win 8 or 9 games and the hunt will be on.  

https://nfltraderumors.co/2021-nfl-free-agent-list/

Rivers doesn't look very good. Bot going to lie. 

I was exvited because I thought this team would have ab elite rushing attack but it seems we only have an above average rushing attack this year. 

My biggest gripe with rivers is his overwhelming need to play hero ball all the time even when he doesn't have to. 

I think its gonna get ugly if he doesn't clean it up. 

Dont get me wrong, its not like I'd rather have Brady who doesn't know what down it is... 

I honestly think Eason woukd fair better or at least match PRs INT for the year. 

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

Last season Luck was an excuse (though everyone says "no excuses" then goes ahead and gives him an excuse, but alas). Not anymore. He 100% owns Rivers and should get all the credit or blame and be judged for it. No more excuses.  There were a lot of options floating around for QB.  Bridgewater, Newton, Dalton were all very gettable.  So was Foles.  Rivers certainly looks to this point like the worst of the 5.  We'll have plenty more evidence in the end.  If Rivers gets us to a playoff win, then it was a good decision.  Anything less and it was a terrible failure.  The only thing that would save him and Reich is if Eason can develop and start next year and at least lead us to a winning record.  River's arm isn't getting stronger next year nor will his feet move faster or reads get sharper.  If Eason fails and Rivers fails and they can't get at least an average starter next year leading into the massive upcoming contracts for our young players, why should either Reich or Ballard keep their jobs? 

1 minute ago, NannyMcafee said:

Rivers doesn't look very good. Bot going to lie. 

I was exvited because I thought this team would have ab elite rushing attack but it seems we only have an above average rushing attack this year. 

My biggest gripe with rivers is his overwhelming need to play hero ball all the time even when he doesn't have to. 

I think its gonna get ugly if he doesn't clean it up. 

Above average? We're near the bottom of the league.  

6 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

Above average? We're near the bottom of the league.  

Yeah the numbers show that but there was a time when the Colts couldn't even get 100 combined rushing yards in a game for multiple years. 

For me, being able to get 3rd and short with some form of regularity is above average. 

So is this the same Gary Davenport (author) that said the Packers would miss the playoffs this year, the Rams would be last place in the NFCW (they are currently 2nd and 4-1), and the New Orleans Saints Will Win Super Bowl LV...and Drew Brees Will Be NFL MVP?

Asking for a friend... lol

Archived