Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bleacher Report Said it Best...

WarGhost21

On 10/13/2020 at 12:40 PM, Smonroe said:

How can anyone who watched the first half of the Browns game say Indy is a excellent defensive team?  Indy has played good defense in games, and also looked horrible.

As far as the O line - it's like once you get a reputation everyone buys in.  The O Line has not been playing as well as last year.  And we all saw that we have no depth at T.  Not to mention the injury to skill players.

All that being said, you can't blame Rivers.  No one thought he was going to be a savior.  He's exactly who we thought he was when they brought him in.

Mayfield was throwing BB's in the first half with VERY contested plays by our defense. I can think of at least 6 circus catches or balls that were perfectly thrown so thats very hard to defend. They only gave up 3 points in the second half and if we stopped them on third and 9 this could well be a victory. Also look at the time of possession we were on the field too long

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JPFolks said:

Last season Luck was an excuse (though everyone says "no excuses" then goes ahead and gives him an excuse, but alas). Not anymore. He 100% owns Rivers and should get all the credit or blame and be judged for it. No more excuses.  There were a lot of options floating around for QB.  Bridgewater, Newton, Dalton were all very gettable.  So was Foles.  Rivers certainly looks to this point like the worst of the 5.  We'll have plenty more evidence in the end.  If Rivers gets us to a playoff win, then it was a good decision.  Anything less and it was a terrible failure.  The only thing that would save him and Reich is if Eason can develop and start next year and at least lead us to a winning record.  River's arm isn't getting stronger next year nor will his feet move faster or reads get sharper.  If Eason fails and Rivers fails and they can't get at least an average starter next year leading into the massive upcoming contracts for our young players, why should either Reich or Ballard keep their jobs? 

Above average? We're near the bottom of the league.  

IF they commit to Eason and it fails...that's possibly the only shot they will get...so they will have to be 100% sure that Eason is the guy. 

I don't think that is the plan though. Ballard is much more pragmatic than that. I think we will see a big move at QB this offseason...unless Rivers completely turns it around.

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

IF they commit to Eason and it fails...that's possibly the only shot they will get...so they will have to be 100% sure that Eason is the guy. 

I don't think that is the plan though. Ballard is much more pragmatic than that. I think we will see a big move at QB this offseason...unless Rivers completely turns it around.

I can't see where they get the ammo to make a big move? The teams at the top of the draft all need QBs so they aren't trading.  The most FA experienced QBs were just available and it looks like we got the worst one of the top 6.  Who will be a FA this time round?  The kids in NY? Ack.  Neither of them are the answer.  An injured Dak wanting 40 million a year? Gardner Minshew? 

Don't forget we desperately need a LT.  Those require draft capital.  If we send it all somewhere in a trade, then what? 

22 hours ago, luv_pony_express said:

I’m glad I’m not the only one thinking about Darnold.

there have been a lot of colts fans and some jets fans talking about trading him here on reddit

i dont think they can pass on trevor to stick with sam, that would be a huge mistake imo.  

2 hours ago, shasta519 said:

We have 2 of our 3 easiest games left on the schedule coming up.  Perhaps the offense will wake up.  5-2 plus a game remaining against Jacksonville get us 3 games away from a winning record.  Perhaps we can sweep Houston.  Then we'd need to beat one of LV, BAL, TN, Pitt.  So it could happen.  Part 1 is winning the next two.  

5 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

there have been a lot of colts fans and some jets fans talking about trading him here on reddit

i dont think they can pass on trevor to stick with sam, that would be a huge mistake imo.  

If the Giants and Jets both go 0-16, how do they determine the #1 pick? 

2 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

If the Giants and Jets both go 0-16, how do they determine the #1 pick? 

In situations where teams finished the previous season with identical records, the determination of draft position is decided by strength of schedule — the aggregate winning percentage of a team’s opponents. The team that played the schedule with the lowest winning percentage will be awarded the higher pick.

If the teams have the same strength of schedule, division or conference tiebreakers are applied. If the divisional or conference tiebreakers are not applicable, or ties still exist between teams of different conferences, ties will be broken the following tie-breaking method:

1. Head-to-head, if applicable

2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games (minimum of four)

3. Strength of victory in all games

4. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed in all games

5. Best net points in all games

6. Best net touchdowns in all games

7. Coin toss

https://operations.nfl.com/the-players/the-nfl-draft/the-rules-of-the-draft/

17 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

In situations where teams finished the previous season with identical records, the determination of draft position is decided by strength of schedule — the aggregate winning percentage of a team’s opponents. The team that played the schedule with the lowest winning percentage will be awarded the higher pick.

If the teams have the same strength of schedule, division or conference tiebreakers are applied. If the divisional or conference tiebreakers are not applicable, or ties still exist between teams of different conferences, ties will be broken the following tie-breaking method:

1. Head-to-head, if applicable

2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games (minimum of four)

3. Strength of victory in all games

4. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed in all games

5. Best net points in all games

6. Best net touchdowns in all games

7. Coin toss

https://operations.nfl.com/the-players/the-nfl-draft/the-rules-of-the-draft/

So basically whichever team was most pathetic. I will be very surprised if the top 2 picks go to teams with more than two wins, likely no more than one. 

1 minute ago, JPFolks said:

I will be very surprised if the top 2 picks go to teams with more than two wins, likely no more than one. 

jets are awful and the schedule is pretty rough for such a bad team.  patriots as usual, the bills are good and they have games against the chiefs, Seahawks and browns

hard to see them getting 3 wins

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

No one is saying we will be picking top 5. But missing the playoffs and picking at 13 to 16 is very realistic.

And that is death valley. Too far to trade up without mortgaging the future and too low for a massive difference maker most of the time.  We need a left tackle and a QB which both require top end picks usually. 

34 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

We have 2 of our 3 easiest games left on the schedule coming up.  Perhaps the offense will wake up.  5-2 plus a game remaining against Jacksonville get us 3 games away from a winning record.  Perhaps we can sweep Houston.  Then we'd need to beat one of LV, BAL, TN, Pitt.  So it could happen.  Part 1 is winning the next two.  

My worries about the lions is they can score. Also the Bengals are top ten in pass defense.

Just now, JPFolks said:

And that is death valley. Too far to trade up without mortgaging the future and too low for a massive difference maker most of the time.  We need a left tackle and a QB which both require top end picks usually. 

At some point if they don’t think Eason is the future we are going to have to trade up. I bet the jets fire Gase and keep Darnold. But that would be a option and wouldn’t have to give up as much as we would to move up.

36 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

I have us winning the next 2 games and at least getting to 5-2. After that not sure but teams at 5-2 make the playoffs 70% of the time. We were 5-2 last year and didn't get in but usually teams do. With the Texans stinking up the joint we could sweep them as well.

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

At some point if they don’t think Eason is the future we are going to have to trade up. I bet the jets fire Gase and keep Darnold. But that would be a option and wouldn’t have to give up as much as we would to move up.

I am not really an Eason fan but he could prove me wrong and be good. He does have a strong arm.

26 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am not really an Eason fan but he could prove me wrong and be good. He does have a strong arm.

What we don’t know is the behind the scene stuff. Is he catching onto things fast? How is he looking in practice? What we do know is he is spending extra time with Brady working on mechanics and film study. Reporters keep saying he isn’t getting practice reps but they don’t know that because they aren’t allowed to watch practice. We do know Ballard has said he Has loads of talent and is showed if in training camp. We will just have to wait and see what happens right now.  The entire plan is screwed up if rivers is so bad and doesn’t come back for another year. 

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

Maybe. You just never know until they hit the field.  I have to say that I’ve never been quite as impressed with Lawrence as most people are.  He’s obviously very, very good.  But it wouldn’t surprise me if he ends up being fairly average in the NFL...which would make him a perfect fit for the NYets.

As for Darnold, I think a change of venue might unlock some unfulfilled potential.  Get him a solid supporting cast and a coach not named Adam Gase, and he might just thrive.

On 10/13/2020 at 1:12 PM, Chloe6124 said:

We did invest in WR. We are just snake bitten at this point. Campbell was looking like a numbers one before injury. Pittman will come along. You can’t say we didn’t invest when they are injured. Nothing the colts did could of predicted injuries. Both these guys were pretty much injury free in college. Just a bunch of bad luck with WR.

Two 2nd round picks is not investing.... especially when you need an outside #1 wr and you take Campbell instead of Metcalf.   I was excited about Pittman but even before getting hurt he looked soft, slow, and smaller than I expected.  He will never be a guy the defense has to gameplan for.  

2 hours ago, coming on strong said:

if the colts started jacoby this year they would be 5 and 0 no doubt about it.   the browns game we lost by 9 with jacoby we would of run the ball more and went over 100 yards rushing .  same with jags game .  

There's really no possible way to prove your silly hypothetical scenario 

28 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Two 2nd round picks is not investing.... especially when you need an outside #1 wr and you take Campbell instead of Metcalf.   I was excited about Pittman but even before getting hurt he looked soft, slow, and smaller than I expected.  He will never be a guy the defense has to gameplan for.  

I guess you've missed some of the WR discussion in the past. The current top 10 WRs in the league are full of 2nd and 3rd round picks. They are all shapes and sizes too. A #1 can be X or Z, or even a slot. 

I agree we've needed an X for a while, but Funch was an attempt to get an X last year, and Pittman this year. Pittman was one of the highest rated Xs in the draft. I would have preferred Claypool who is now balling, simply because I'm a ND homer, but Pittman was also a smart pick based on his production over Claypool. They took Campbell because they needed a dynamic slot, who could at some point move to the outside at Z and replace Hilton, and they still signed Funch. 

And it's pretty silly to say that about Pittman this early. Most Xs need a good year before they acclimate. Claypool is the exception, not the rule. So is Metcalf. And both of them were later 2nd round guys. 

2 hours ago, coming on strong said:

if the colts started jacoby this year they would be 5 and 0 no doubt about it.   the browns game we lost by 9 with jacoby we would of run the ball more and went over 100 yards rushing .  same with jags game .  

lol, no... 

We had little success running early. We only had real success running late when we were down 2 scores, and they went soft zone with a ton of cushion and LBs deeper. Had JB started, Cleveland would have sold out vs the run early or at minimum simply played shallow with the DBs, and it would have been even worse. 

To go even further, on our first drive when we scored a TD, running twice in row on 1st and 2nd left us in 3rd down hole, and required a chunk play by Rivers to keep the drive going. The only successful (over 3 yards) run on that drive was at the very end when we shot the edge for the TD.

On 10/13/2020 at 11:40 AM, King Colt said:

With the Chargers Rivers has 4 division titles, 6 post season games going 5-6 in those post season games and no SB. My main gripe is his lack of mobility and in close games with only a couple minutes to play or red zone plays it is huge to have a mobile QB.  The Saints use Jason Hill for special plays why not use Brissett in the same way?

Taysom Hill?

7 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

lol, no... 

We had little success running early. We only had real success running late when we were down 2 scores, and they went soft zone with a ton of cushion and LBs deeper. Had JB started, Cleveland would have sold out vs the run early or at minimum simply played shallow with the DBs, and it would have been even worse. 

To go even further, on our first drive when we scored a TD, running twice in row on 1st and 2nd left us in 3rd down hole, and required a chunk play by Rivers to keep the drive going. The only successful (over 3 yards) run on that drive was at the very end when we shot the edge for the TD.

Finish Him GIF by memecandy

7 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

Mayfield was throwing BB's in the first half with VERY contested plays by our defense. I can think of at least 6 circus catches or balls that were perfectly thrown so thats very hard to defend. They only gave up 3 points in the second half and if we stopped them on third and 9 this could well be a victory. Also look at the time of possession we were on the field too long

And there were plays where guys were wide open.  They only rushed 4, putting little pressure on Baker.    Was there one blitz?  And, no matter what excuses, the Browns got 20 points, scoring on every possession in the half.  You can’t win games like that.

They played more aggressive in the second half, but were helped by the Browns taking their foot off the pedal, and some horrible drops.

But what frustrated me most of all was on that 3rd and long where they rushed 2, and a LB covers their best receiver allowing them to convert. 

This D has been poorly coached from day 1 of this regime.  

Rant over.  

On 10/13/2020 at 11:22 AM, WarGhost21 said:

The following is a quote from Gary Davenport in Bleacher Report's Power Rankings heading into Week 6:

I have to absolutely agree with Davenport on this topic. Phillip Rivers has really held the team back this season. The defense has done very well this season, the offensive line is still really good, we have a good group of running backs, and our coaching is still fine. It's on Rivers, as he has been just a shell of his former self this season.

However, I must say that I hope Rivers is our QB until the end of the season. The Brissett experiment did not work at all last season, so while he might come in to start at some point, it would still likely be a downgrade. For the crowds who have wanted Eason to get in there, we've all seen what has happened to QBs thrown to the fire too early. I'd rather wait and let him develop until next season, and not throw him to the wolves and destroy his development plans. There are also no outside names that could come in to be an upgrade, as any QB that could be an improvement is already on another roster and would cost a pretty penny to acquire.

This team is ready to win now, with our youth giving us a wide window to get it done. While I would like us to make the postseason, I'm more than fine with us failing this season, getting a top player in the draft again, adding a QB in the offseason or seeing what we have in Eason, and winning next year. We likely aren't winning this season with Rivers, but the outlook for the future is still very bright!

Rivers is exactly what he showed us he was last season. Ballard knew what he was getting when he signed him. Many Colts fans were hoping for the return of 2018 Rivers with a better supporting cast but that is proving to be wishful thinking.  The Chargers knew what was up and parted ways.  Colts brass should have taken note and not been so enamored by their familiarity with Rivers. They should have more objectively assessed his actual current level of play before signing him for a whopping $25 million.  I expect they will choose to sink or swim with him for the remainder of this season barring injury. Reich and Ballard can be loyal and stubborn to a fault with a declining player they like and respect.  Just look at how long they kept trotting Vinny out to miss kicks last year. 

10 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Rivers is exactly what he showed us he was last season. Ballard knew what he was getting when he signed him. Many Colts fans were hoping for the return of 2018 Rivers with a better supporting cast but that is proving to be wishful thinking.  The Chargers knew what was up and parted ways.  Colts brass should have taken note and not been so enamored by their familiarity with Rivers. They should have more objectively assessed his actual current level of play before signing him for a whopping $25 million.  I expect they will choose to sink or swim with him for the remainder of this season barring injury. Reich and Ballard can be loyal and stubborn to a fault with a declining player they like and respect.  Just look at how long they kept trotting Vinny out to miss kicks last year. 

And how they stayed with JB... 

Archived