Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bleacher Report Said it Best...

WarGhost21

The following is a quote from Gary Davenport in Bleacher Report's Power Rankings heading into Week 6:

"The Chargers moved on from Rivers in the offseason because they thought he was done," Davenport said. "Through five games, they appear to have been right. The Colts aren't 3-2 because of Rivers. They are 3-2 in spite of him. Indy is an excellent defensive team with a great offensive line and a good young running back. But the Colts aren't good enough to overcome mistakes and turnovers from the veteran signal-caller who was supposed to be the missing piece in a postseason puzzle."

I have to absolutely agree with Davenport on this topic. Phillip Rivers has really held the team back this season. The defense has done very well this season, the offensive line is still really good, we have a good group of running backs, and our coaching is still fine. It's on Rivers, as he has been just a shell of his former self this season.

However, I must say that I hope Rivers is our QB until the end of the season. The Brissett experiment did not work at all last season, so while he might come in to start at some point, it would still likely be a downgrade. For the crowds who have wanted Eason to get in there, we've all seen what has happened to QBs thrown to the fire too early. I'd rather wait and let him develop until next season, and not throw him to the wolves and destroy his development plans. There are also no outside names that could come in to be an upgrade, as any QB that could be an improvement is already on another roster and would cost a pretty penny to acquire.

This team is ready to win now, with our youth giving us a wide window to get it done. While I would like us to make the postseason, I'm more than fine with us failing this season, getting a top player in the draft again, adding a QB in the offseason or seeing what we have in Eason, and winning next year. We likely aren't winning this season with Rivers, but the outlook for the future is still very bright!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

The following is a quote from Gary Davenport in Bleacher Report's Power Rankings heading into Week 6:

I have to absolutely agree with Davenport on this topic. Phillip Rivers has really held the team back this season. The defense has done very well this season, the offensive line is still really good, we have a good group of running backs, and our coaching is still fine. It's on Rivers, as he has been just a shell of his former self this season.

However, I must say that I hope Rivers is our QB until the end of the season. The Brissett experiment did not work at all last season, so while he might come in to start at some point, it would still likely be a downgrade. For the crowds who have wanted Eason to get in there, we've all seen what has happened to QBs thrown to the fire too early. I'd rather wait and let him develop until next season, and not throw him to the wolves and destroy his development plans. There are also no outside names that could come in to be an upgrade, as any QB that could be an improvement is already on another roster and would cost a pretty penny to acquire.

This team is ready to win now, with our youth giving us a wide window to get it done. While I would like us to make the postseason, I'm more than fine with us failing this season, getting a top player in the draft again, adding a QB in the offseason or seeing what we have in Eason, and winning next year. We likely aren't winning this season with Rivers, but the outlook for the future is still very bright!

We said the same thing with Brissett last year. So all this does is reinforce the fact the roster is solid, we just need the right person driving this thing and soon.  that said, I still don't want or even think we will see Eason short of an injury to both Rivers and Brissett. But we need a new, long term answer. But we also need some help at WR big time. TY is a ghost, literally.  Although he did have his best game of the season against the Browns.

5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

We said the same thing with Brissett last year. So all this does is reinforce the fact the roster is solid, we just need the right person driving this thing and soon.  that said, I still don't want or even think we will see Eason short of an injury to both Rivers and Brissett. But we need a new, long term answer. But we also need some help at WR big time. TY is a ghost, literally.  Although he did have his best game of the season against the Browns.

Until our WR stop having fluke injuries I don’t care about that position. We are so snake bitten anyone we go get will probably be injured. TY issue is the QB nothing else. 

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Until Ballard admits the QB position is the most important on any team we are going to be stuck in QB hell. If we are eliminated  from the playoffs with a couple games to go Eason must play so we can see what we have before the draft.

Ballard knows it, but what or rather who do you propose getting right now that's going to fix this issue?

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Until our WR stop having fluke injuries I don’t care about that position. We are so snake bitten anyone we go get will probably be injured. TY issue is the QB nothing else. 

QBs only throw the ball, its TY's job to get open and to catch the dang ball, he's not been doing either of those consistently like he id just 2 years ago

10 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Ballard knows it, but what or rather who do you propose getting right now that's going to fix this issue?

QBs only throw the ball, its TY's job to get open and to catch the dang ball, he's not been doing either of those consistently like he id just 2 years ago

He has been open. He has three PI calls Sunday. If the QB doesn’t throw him the ball he can’t make plays. The good thing is Reich did mention that they have to find ways to get him more involved. He needs to be running the same routes in the slot that Campbell was.

32 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

That is confusing.   I think almost all of us here feel like Reich has been failing at calling the plays.   

I think it is on Rivers and Reich.  

Playcalling or not, i see a gunslinger throwing away the ball when ball security should be this teams main focus. Defense and run the ball is how this team is going to win games. The biggest detriment to the style of team that we are is turnovers plain and simple.

44 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

I think Gary Davenport hasn’t actually been watching the Colts, or even paying attention to us.    I suspect he knows little about the Colts 2020 and his comments demonstrate that fact.  Almost everything he said is factually wrong. 

Surprised anyone would give the comment any credence....  

Colts WR

Pascal (undrafted.  waived by redskins)

Fountain (5th round pick)

Patmon (6th round pick)

Dulin (undrafted)

Hilton (3rd round pick)

Pittman and Campbell (2nd round picks but injured)

I'm not defending Rivers, I hate watching him play, but I'm not sure it matters who we have at QB when we aren't willing to invest in a real threat at WR

National media guys that don't watch the Colts every week, every year never have a clue about things like this. They just regurgitate the over reactions they hear everyone else saying

It's similar to all the nonsense about Watson somehow being better off without Hopkins everyone was regurgitating in the off season

How can anyone who watched the first half of the Browns game say Indy is a excellent defensive team?  Indy has played good defense in games, and also looked horrible.

As far as the O line - it's like once you get a reputation everyone buys in.  The O Line has not been playing as well as last year.  And we all saw that we have no depth at T.  Not to mention the injury to skill players.

All that being said, you can't blame Rivers.  No one thought he was going to be a savior.  He's exactly who we thought he was when they brought him in.

I’m not sure about this guy’s take, or at least I don’t think Rivers is the only problem.

One thing I will say though, and I’ve said it since the offseason, Rivers arm is almost toast. Sure, not an unpopular thing to say now, although it was when Reich (unsurprisingly) said Rivers arm wasn’t diminished. Anyways, my point is that Rivers was already turnover prone. So, couple that with a lack of arm talent? I’m basically going into every game expecting at least 1 INT and multiple close calls.

20 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

As far as the O line - it's like once you get a reputation everyone buys in.  The O Line has not been playing as well as last year.

I don't think the line has even been as bad as perceived. Go back the Jags game before Mack got hurt. He was dancing through, around, and on top of everyone. Mack was special with this line

Nothing against Taylor. But when he came in he would get the obvious few yards and then bam! Stopped! He's still that way and there's nothing wrong with that. I think he's a damn good productive back. But he just doesn't make the run blocking look anywhere near as good as Mack did

We miss Marlon a lot more than we thought we would

43 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Colts WR

Patmon (6th round pick)

Dulin (undrafted)

Hilton (3rd round pick)

I'm not defending Rivers, I hate watching him play, but I'm not sure it matters who we have at QB when we aren't willing to invest in a real threat at WR

We did invest in WR. We are just snake bitten at this point. Campbell was looking like a numbers one before injury. Pittman will come along. You can’t say we didn’t invest when they are injured. Nothing the colts did could of predicted injuries. Both these guys were pretty much injury free in college. Just a bunch of bad luck with WR.

53 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Colts WR

Patmon (6th round pick)

Dulin (undrafted)

Hilton (3rd round pick)

But Rivers had much better weapons with the Chargers and it didn’t help him that much. 

1 hour ago, WarGhost21 said:

I wonder how we'd be playing with San Diego's current Rookie or Cincy's current Rookie.  We likely could never have gotten to #1, but we might have gotten to #9 to bet SD to the punch.  He sure looks better than either of our top 2 QBs and would give us a better chance to win.  "In spite of" is only relevant if there was a better option.  You've stated above that Rivers is better than Brissett, and though you may be right, the only reason is my view is his quick release.  He has nothing else over Brissett.  And Brissett at least didn't turn it over as often.  18 TDs and 6 INTS.  Rivers is on pace for 12TDs and 16INTS.   Brissett could move way better than Rivers.  (Rivers makes Manning look quick).  Brissett protected the ball more than anything.  Some said TOO much.  He was very careful, the opposite of a gunslinger.  BUT... with this defense playing this well, imagine the Brown's game without a turnover or 2TD passes instead of 1 and no safety? I am not a Brissett fan, but if Rivers is this bad against the softest first 5 games in the league, imagine how horrendous it will be when we play GB, Bal, LV, TN twice etc.?  It looks like we're headed for .500 or worse.  

If we finish as bad or worse than last year, and are stuck in mid round hell unable to get a top QB prospect, we'll be stuck chasing other QB castoffs.  

People said I was crazy when I suggested we sign Dalton last spring and trade up as high as we could for one of the top rookies.  It will be interesting to see how he does with Dallas (anyone want to guess now whether he can take that team to the playoffs?)

Additionally,  it will also be interesting to see where Foles ends up in Chicago against a lot of teams we play.  (We'll each have 10  games against common opponents).  If he ALSO tanks, that will be a further bad look on Reich and Ballard as he was also in the running here by many reports.  

Who else will be available next year outside of the top 2 picks? We'll have 45 extra million off the books.  Anyone fear they might take a shot at the injured Dak?  

2 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

I wonder how we'd be playing with San Diego's current Rookie or Cincy's current Rookie.  We likely could never have gotten to #1, but we might have gotten to #9 to bet SD to the punch.  He sure looks better than either of our top 2 QBs and would give us a better chance to win.  "In spite of" is only relevant if there was a better option.  You've stated above that Rivers is better than Brissett, and though you may be right, the only reason is my view is his quick release.  He has nothing else over Brissett.  And Brissett at least didn't turn it over as often.  18 TDs and 6 INTS.  Rivers is on pace for 12TDs and 16INTS.   Brissett could move way better than Rivers.  (Rivers makes Manning look quick).  Brissett protected the ball more than anything.  Some said TOO much.  He was very careful, the opposite of a gunslinger.  BUT... with this defense playing this well, imagine the Brown's game without a turnover or 2TD passes instead of 1 and no safety? I am not a Brissett fan, but if Rivers is this bad against the softest first 5 games in the league, imagine how horrendous it will be when we play GB, Bal, LV, TN twice etc.?  It looks like we're headed for .500 or worse.  

If we finish as bad or worse than last year, and are stuck in mid round hell unable to get a top QB prospect, we'll be stuck chasing other QB castoffs.  

People said I was crazy when I suggested we sign Dalton last spring and trade up as high as we could for one of the top rookies.  It will be interesting to see how he does with Dallas (anyone want to guess now whether he can take that team to the playoffs?)

Additionally,  it will also be interesting to see where Foles ends up in Chicago against a lot of teams we play.  (We'll each have 10  games against common opponents).  If he ALSO tanks, that will be a further bad look on Reich and Ballard as he was also in the running here by many reports.  

Who else will be available next year outside of the top 2 picks? We'll have 45 extra million off the books.  Anyone fear they might take a shot at the injured Dak?  

Sell the farm for Lawrence or lose a bit for Lance

With the Chargers Rivers has 4 division titles, 6 post season games going 5-6 in those post season games and no SB. My main gripe is his lack of mobility and in close games with only a couple minutes to play or red zone plays it is huge to have a mobile QB.  The Saints use Jason Hill for special plays why not use Brissett in the same way?

12 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

Taylor averaged 5 yards a carry against Cleveland against a stacked box. That is pretty good. The problem was the coach decided not to give him the ball. The O-Line will be affected by the fact that we cannot throw the ball downfield.  You can only block so many defenders. 

Maybe the problem was that we were down 20-10 at halftime due to Browns scoring on every drive. Tends to change the game script.  As far as Taylor’s increased YPC, that’s great but he did not face a stacked box in second half when we were down two scores. We’re still #31 in YPC. 

And if Rivers can’t throw downfield, how did Mike Williams lead the league in YPC with 1000 yards and almost no YAC last year? The deep throws have been fairly successful so far other than TYs drop.

TYs struggles are all Rivers’ fault according to some posters, even though he is almost 31 YO. Wide receivers peak at 26-27 and decline gradually after that according to pro football reference.  When was TY at his best?  It is natural to see 31 year-old wide receivers struggle a bit. 

Regarding the original tweet, if the Chargers are so much better off without Rivers, why are they 1-4? 

17 minutes ago, King Colt said:

With the Chargers Rivers has 4 division titles, 6 post season games going 5-6 in those post season games and no SB. My main gripe is his lack of mobility and in close games with only a couple minutes to play or red zone plays it is huge to have a mobile QB.  The Saints use Jason Hill for special plays why not use Brissett in the same way?

How come Manning only had one SB win in his entire illustrious career? It is a team sport and incredibly difficult to get to SB. 

Herbert has better arm and mobility than Rivers but if the QB’s arm strength and mobility were deciding factors they wouldn’t be 1-4. 

A lot of these power rankings written by national writers tend to be blasé and incorrect.

Rivers has not helped but how can one take the piece seriously when he's batting .500?

"The Chargers moved on from Rivers in the offseason because they thought he was done," Davenport said." TRUE (I said same thing when Rivers name first started getting linked to the Colts.)

Through five games, they appear to have been right. The Colts aren't 3-2 because of Rivers. They are 3-2 in spite of him. MAYBE TRUE but we're just going to discount his 70% pass completions in those games?

Indy is an excellent defensive team (TRUE) with a great offensive line (NOT THIS SEASON THEY AIN'T) and a good young running back (JT HASN'T SHOWN THIS YET) 

But the Colts aren't good enough to overcome mistakes and turnovers from the veteran signal-caller who was supposed to be the missing piece in a postseason puzzle." TBD

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

...and getting behind the chains or the scoreboard.

Turnovers are detrimental to most styles of teams, btw.

Oh wow thanks tips didn't know that haha. Just playful joust not trying to start any fights or anything. I meant that turnovers may be a little more detrimental to our style of play opposed to some other teams, because we don't have an explosive come from behind offense.

4 minutes ago, NorthernColt said:

I hate to be the guy to keep bringing it up, but this team has everything but a QB. If Luck was still here we'd be legitimate contenders. Somedays I still can't even believe he retired when he did.

Get over it. We have to move on with what we have and what we can get

We could go back to being mad for letting Manning go for that matter

3 minutes ago, shakedownstreet said:

Get over it. We have to move on with what we have and what we can get

We could go back to being mad for letting Manning go for that matter

Oh I'm over it, but I think if anyone says they don't wonder what could have been sometimes, I'd say they're probably lying.

2 minutes ago, NorthernColt said:

Oh I'm over it, but I think if anyone says they don't wonder what could have been sometimes, I'd say they're probably lying.

Luck retired at the worst possible time for Colts fans but at the best possible time for himself. I wish we could see what he would have done with the team the past couple years. It probably would have been beautiful. We just need to get another strong mobile QB like him again. That's an understatement but hopefully sooner rather than later.

1 hour ago, JPFolks said:

Yep, Dalton would have been better, as would Foles.  At least no worse, with some mobility.  Not sure about the timeline though, if they were available when we decided to sign Rivers.

BTW, Herbert was my favorite QB of the draft, and as a correction, LAC took him #6.  We would have had to get to 5, and since MIA wasn't moving off of 5 because of Tua, Ballard never had a realistic chance to get Herbert.

It’s hard for fans but yeah the truth is Luck set this team behind in a major way.  Reich has had 3 different QB. Not many coaches would survive that. I don’t think there needs to be any coaching changes because I think Reich deserves to see what he can do with a new young QB. I just think we would of been better off just letting Jacoby maybe have another chance and get Eason more reps and compete for the job.

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

How can anyone who watched the first half of the Browns game say Indy is a excellent defensive team?  Indy has played good defense in games, and also looked horrible.

As far as the O line - it's like once you get a reputation everyone buys in.  The O Line has not been playing as well as last year.  And we all saw that we have no depth at T.  Not to mention the injury to skill players.

All that being said, you can't blame Rivers.  No one thought he was going to be a savior.  He's exactly who we thought he was when they brought him in.

YUP. I'll give the defense credit for the 2nd half. Also some of the stuff they allowed in the first half was borderline miraculous from Cleveland. It's a bad look when every drive results in points against you BUT there were some incredible catches by the Browns.

8 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

As far as Darnold what is his personality. Can a new coach and scenery bring out the best and hope he isn’t broken. There is a lot of comparisons with him and  Luck.

Ok...   I’ll ask.  

What are the comparisons between Sam Darnold and Andrew Luck?

Archived