Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What if we gave Eason a few plays a game/ Time to see what we have in Eason? (merge)

Restinpeacesweetchloe

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

We would have to dress him but what if we gave him a few plays a game to see what he can do. 

How about we hold off until December at the earliest to even consider this?

We’re not at the stage of the season where we experiment with what a rookie quarterback can do.   You can do it with a veteran.   It’s not wise for rookies.  

I think Baltimore held off until roughly November before developing a package for Lamar Jackson. 

Patience is your friend.  

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

How about we hold off until December at the earliest to even consider this?

We’re not at the stage of the season where we experiment with what a rookie quarterback can do.   You can do it with a veteran.   It’s not wise for rookies.  

I think Baltimore held off until roughly November before developing a package for Lamar Jackson. 

Patience is your friend.  

Lamar got a few snaps here and there, even threw four passes in the opener. But they had him in on option packages, and Eason is not an option QB. Lamar took over as the starter in November, when Flacco got hurt.

I'm not that interested in rushing to see Eason. I'd like to have a better idea of what he can do before the season is over, especially if Rivers can't get it going pretty quickly here; we need to know what we have. But we don't need to rush it, especially when he's mostly a one dimensional player.

Also, while Rivers has been underwhelming and frustrating with the turnovers, it's worth keeping in mind that our TEs have been in and out of the lineup, our receivers haven't been healthy, we lost our best RB in the opener, and we didn't have our LT yesterday. Rivers has to be better, but we're five weeks in and the circumstances haven't been all that great so far. The coaches also have to be better, and that includes helping the QB with better play calling and situational decision making.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

We really need to see him before the draft. So far it looks like the plan of having rivers two years and promoting Eason to backup next year isn’t going pan out. It could give the colts a nice jolt. I am so tired of not being able to use the entire field.

You cant determine what has panned out in five weeks...

Besides, who needs to see him before the draft? The fans are not the ones who make the decisions. 

Eason has to show the coaches, not us as fans. 

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

We would have to dress him but what if we gave him a few plays a game to see what he can do. 

I think only two scenarios where Eason sees the field. First would be if the team were to spiral into disaster, like 6 game losing streak bad, and I dont see that happening. The only other way I think he sees the field is week 17 and the team is mathematically eliminated. 

Two quarterbacks ahead of him on the roster, who take up a combined 46m in cap space, one is future hof and the other loved by his teammates.  Putting Eason in now could turn Nathan Peterman bad real fast.

Let me sum up Eason's final season in college for you...

"In three early games against Eastern Washington, Hawaii and Brigham Young, Eason threw for a combined 901 yards, 10 touchdowns, and one interception. In conference, he averaged just 7.1 yards per attempt and completed 59% of his passes with a paltry 12-to-7 TD:INT ratio."

He isn't very mobile and he struggled when the pocket collapsed on him at Washington. He probably would have been better served playing one more year in college. He is nowhere near ready to start on a consistent basis in the NFL and rushing him out there could really de-rail his development. The Colts only options right now, if they want to win, are Philip or Jacoby. Neither are great options but this is the bed Ballard made.

People act like this is still the 90s  .  QBs in college are much more prepared to start now then before .  Dak was a 4th round pick thrown into dallas when romo got hurt.   wilson a third round pick was let take over and did fine.   Look at herbet going off for 4 touchdowns against the saints .    kurt warner said he would take eason over herbert in the draft , he has more upside .  So many people said herbet should not start this year and if taylor did not get hurt we would never see him play . Now he is going off on teams and getting good experience .  So many older people are stuck in this sit the rookie old school mentality , its a new era get over it .  

2 minutes ago, Grigson's Gaffes said:

Let me sum up Eason's final season in college for you...

"In three early games against Eastern Washington, Hawaii and Brigham Young, Eason threw for a combined 901 yards, 10 touchdowns, and one interception. In conference, he averaged just 7.1 yards per attempt and completed 59% of his passes with a paltry 12-to-7 TD:INT ratio."

He isn't very mobile and he struggled when the pocket collapsed on him at Washington. He probably would have been better served playing one more year in college. He is nowhere near ready to start on a consistent basis in the NFL and rushing him out there could really de-rail his development. The Colts only options right now, if they want to win, are Philip or Jacoby. Neither are great options but this is the bed Ballard made.

If playing any QB de rails their development they are not mentally tough enough to be in the nfl .   All playing time is good for learning and getting better . Failure is better for learning then success .   the colts cannot win a super bowl with rivers or jacoby so just play eason see if there is any hope .  If he looks horrible then we know to draft another QB next year . IF we do not play him this staff will not even look to draft or fill the QB spot next year which could kill the colts in the long run .   Think long term this season really is gonna be hard to win and make the playoffs with the passing game we have now.

10 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

People act like this is still the 90s  .  QBs in college are much more prepared to start now then before .  Dak was a 4th round pick thrown into dallas when romo got hurt.   wilson a third round pick was let take over and did fine.   Look at herbet going off for 4 touchdowns against the saints .    kurt warner said he would take eason over herbert in the draft , he has more upside .  So many people said herbet should not start this year and if taylor did not get hurt we would never see him play . Now he is going off on teams and getting good experience .  So many older people are stuck in this sit the rookie old school mentality , its a new era get over it .  

Big difference with those examples respective to Eason was college game experience. Prescott played 49 games over 4 years, Russell 50 games over 4 years, and Herbert 43 games over 4 years, each with over 1100 attempts in college. Eason played 29 games over 3 seasons, <800 attempts.

38 minutes ago, ColtV said:

Big difference with those examples respective to Eason was college game experience. Prescott played 49 games over 4 years, Russell 50 games over 4 years, and Herbert 43 games over 4 years, each with over 1100 attempts in college. Eason played 29 games over 3 seasons, <800 attempts.

Quit making sense. Sometimes it doesn't go well in here. 

1 hour ago, coming on strong said:

Whether you like it or not Rivers is the starter and thats not changing anytime soon.

Once eliminated from the post season, and that is a darn certainty if Rivers doesn’t bump into Harry Potter in St Elmo’s sometime soon, Then give Eason some playing time. If the coaches think he is nowhere ready to start, then he is nowhere ready to be on the roster. 

Rivers looks spent.

53 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

Once eliminated from the post season, and that is a darn certainty if Rivers doesn’t bump into Harry Potter in St Elmo’s sometime soon, Then give Eason some playing time. If the coaches think he is nowhere ready to start, then he is nowhere ready to be on the roster. 

Rivers looks spent.

We are currently 8th in AFC

There's still a good chance we get WC 

43 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

We are currently 8th in AFC

There's still a good chance we get WC 

I see it as the opposite. We are 8th in the AFC after 5 weeks of an easy schedule to start the year. After the Bengals, it gets difficult. We have two games against the Titans, two against the Texans after they fired O'Brien, the Ravens, the Steelers, the Packers. IMO, the Bengals game this Sunday is a must win game. If we lose, the next ten games will probably eliminate us from the playoffs very easily and we'll finish something like 8-8. This team needs to step up. 3-2 is the worst-case scenario right now through five games. We should be 4-1 or 5-0. 

3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I see it as the opposite. We are 8th in the AFC after 5 weeks of an easy schedule to start the year. After the Bengals, it gets difficult. We have two games against the Titans, two against the Texans after they fired O'Brien, the Ravens, the Steelers, the Packers. IMO, the Bengals game this Sunday is a must win game. If we lose, the next ten games will probably eliminate us from the playoffs very easily and we'll finish something like 8-8. This team needs to step up. 3-2 is the worst-case scenario right now through five games. We should be 4-1 or 5-0. 

You know very well Colts are gonna pull off some surprise wins and surprise losses

RN

I have us losing to 5 more teams

Houston Tennessee GB Cincy Pitt

7 hours ago, coming on strong said:

I’m all for getting the kids some snaps, but let’s be real here. There are far more examples of developmental QBs being tossed out there too early and failing, failing badly then there are of developmental QBs tossed out early and succeeding. That hasn’t changed. The odds of any QB turning into a long term, solid starter or better, are less than 30 percent, the odds of a developmental QB taken after round 1/2, turning into a solid starter or better is less than 5 percent. 

7 hours ago, coming on strong said:

...and Brady was a 6th round pick.  Yeah, stuff happens.  But for every one of those later rounders who made good there are 10 who never started.  Herbert was a first rounder, he was expected to start this year, no matter what they said.  

Every player is different.  Arm strength is only one factor of a successful QB.  Reading the D, making a quick decision, and mobility all count as much.  

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I’m all for getting the kids some snaps, but let’s be real here. There are far more examples of developmental QBs being tossed out there too early and failing, failing badly then there are of developmental QBs tossed out early and succeeding. That hasn’t changed. The odds of any QB turning into a long term, solid starter or better, are less than 30 percent, the odds of a developmental QB taken after round 1/2, turning into a solid starter or better is less than 5 percent. 

You know damn well Eason is a HOF!

:sarcasm:

6 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Whether you like it or not Rivers is the starter and thats not changing anytime soon.

I wasn't saying replace rivers now .  If the colts get eliminated from the playoffs, then it makes zero sense to play rivers or Jacoby.  They both will be gone next year jacoby wants to start .

21 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

I wasn't saying replace rivers now .  If the colts get eliminated from the playoffs, then it makes zero sense to play rivers or Jacoby.  They both will be gone next year jacoby wants to start .

I agree.  But I also remember game 16 last year.

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

...and Brady was a 6th round pick.  Yeah, stuff happens.  But for every one of those later rounders who made good there are 10 who never started.  Herbert was a first rounder, he was expected to start this year, no matter what they said.  

Every player is different.  Arm strength is only one factor of a successful QB.  Reading the D, making a quick decision, and mobility all count as much.  

Eason is more mobile than  Rivers and better arm. Has a quick release and can throw on the run

To be quite brutally honest Reich doesn’t have the stones to put Eason in a game and look over and see Jacoby standing there getting jumped for a spot again

Just like he doesn’t have the stones to tell Hines and Wilkins “sorry guys, we need to spend more of our carries on our top back.”

4 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

To be quite brutally honest Reich doesn’t have the stones to put Eason in a game and look over and see Jacoby standing there getting jumped for a spot again

Just like he doesn’t have the stones to tell Hines and Wilkins “sorry guys, we need to spend more of our carries on our top back.”

We are sinking or swimming with Rivers this year. JB's ceiling was limited but his floor is just as high as Rivers or probably higher at times, unfortunately. Rivers' floor can be low like we saw but his ability to read Ds and throw in anticipation has been shown in flashes but not utilized as much as we can with early down throwing. Frank is protecting Rivers like he is protecting JB, that is the only commonality I see, and that perplexes me.

Hopefully Ballard sees the same and asks him tough questions as to why we are still struggling to forge any identity in the passing game with our pass catchers, however limited they are.

11 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

If only Reich had the stones to play the reserves that the coaching staff doesn't think are ready to play, but certain fans believe that they are, based on nothing at all. And if only he had the stones to give fewer carries to running backs he has previously given zero carries to in multiple games. Yes, stones are the problem. 

Eason is more likely to be out of the league in 7yrs than a starting QB.  If we are eliminated from the playoffs early and the coaches see potential they may let him play some.  If he doesn’t even dress during this scenario it will point towards he is a high end back up at best.  4th round QBs typically don’t become starters, yes there is always the exception but I’m not holding my breath.  Our future franchise QB is probably riding the bench in college or still in high school.  I see us signing veteran QBs while this OL and DL are together.  Then they will age, Reich and Ballard will get fired And the team will be rebuilt under a new regime. I know it’s a bleak outlook but it happens all the time in the NFL.  

11 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

So we are going to lose with Rivers rather than seeing what we have in Eason. Makes sense. Just like keeping Vinny around last year until bringing in a rookie who made most of his FGs.  If Herbet was on this team he would be on the bench. 

Mahomes did redshirt his first year but then Alex Smith was still operating at a high enough level to win games for the Chiefs. The key will be if we can win 2 out of every 3 games when it is all said and done, that would be like 10-6 in which case Rivers is safe, IMO. At some point, this team will beat a team it is not supposed to beat like the Ravens or Steelers. That is my glass half full approach, which is the best I can do at this point.

What's wrong with having Brissett be our #2 and Eason be our #3? Isn't that how the Colts staff see it? With that being the case, it simply wouldn't be fair to throw Eason out there when you have Brissett ready to go. The Colts think Brissett has proven to be the team's #2 after Rivers so that's just how it is. If Rivers has an injury, we will see Brissett. It's not that hard to understand. 

Archived