Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What if we gave Eason a few plays a game/ Time to see what we have in Eason? (merge)

Restinpeacesweetchloe

The thing the coaching staff can't see that we as fans are right on top off is that Eason is ready to go. Sure, most of us have never seen him play a single snap, but that's why we're so perceptive in knowing that it's in his and the team's best interest to get him on the field ASAP. Okay, despite all his tools and physical potential, he wasn't that great in college - didn't make even honorable mention all-conference - but we have seen - with our own eyes - some media reports that coaches are pleased with his progress in practice, which means we know he should be ahead of Brissett now, even if the coaches don't think so. This, of course, reminds me of when we knew Chad Kelly should be ahead of Brissett, yet the Colts cut him instead. Now, more than a month has gone by and no team has signed Chad even to their practice squad. This just shows how from watching Chad play against backups in a couple of preseason games, we quickly understood more than not only the Colts GM and coaching staff, but all of the league's GMs and coaching staffs. It's pretty impressive when you think about it.    

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Stephen said:

Eason is more mobile than  Rivers and better arm. Has a quick release and can throw on the run

Stephen Hawking was more mobile than Rivers (is that in bad taste?  I never know anymore).

What bothers me about Eason are his games against better teams.  Everyone seems to think he needed another year in college.  So maybe practicing against our D is his senior year?

1 hour ago, BeanDiasucci said:

If only Reich had the stones to play the reserves that the coaching staff doesn't think are ready to play, but certain fans believe that they are, based on nothing at all. And if only he had the stones to give fewer carries to running backs he has previously given zero carries to in multiple games. Yes, stones are the problem. 

You obviously don’t know the extreme extent to which we split carries. Go do the math. Taylor as a starter coming into this week carried the ball on just 56% of our run plays. 

Wanna guess where that ranks in the league? 

And guess what else? It’s not just this season. We have given our starting RB a negligible % of the carries since Reich came to town. 

Less cheek, more research. 

13 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

You obviously don’t know the extreme extent to which we split carries. Go do the math. Taylor as a starter coming into this week carried the ball on just 56% of our run plays. 

Wanna guess where that ranks in the league? 

And guess what else? It’s not just this season. We have given our starting RB a negligible % of the carries since Reich came to town. 

Less cheek, more research. 

But math does doesn't give any indication of causality in this situation. Where is your evidence that the Colts split carries too much because, as you said, Reich lacks the "stones" to give more carries to Taylor? Isn't more likely because of a general philosophy, such as Mack was injury prone so they limited his usage sometimes or Taylor is a rookie who's still learning so they've limited his carries or they just like to use multiple backs?

In any case, I can't agree that the Colts gave a "negligible %" of carries to Mack in the games he was healthy last season. You can look at this rushing leaders chart on ESPN, https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/player/_/stat/rushing/season/2019/seasontype/2/table/rushing/sort/rushingAttempts/dir/desc click on the column header Attempts, and see that he was ninth in the league with 247 carries last season, despite playing only 14 games.  

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

The point for me is keeping a eye on the future. Right now we are in QB hell. When are we going to start looking towards the future to get this position sure up. At some point we have to start advancing the future and see what we have. 

I assume the QB position is first and foremost on Chris Ballard's mind everyday. You can't rush the position or swing and miss. Rivers is giving them exactly what they wanted and paid for...an upgrade on Brissett. 

When rumors start flying around that Eason > Rivers in practice, I'd be all for him.

If you honestly believe Rivers is the one weak link on the team then you should be ok with the Colts trading up in 21 for Lance or Lawrence. 

If this is an issue then you shouldn't be complaining cause honestly there isn't gonna be solid options QB wise around 20.

4 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

If you honestly believe Rivers is the one weak link on the team then you should be ok with the Colts trading up in 21 for Lance or Lawrence. 

If this is an issue then you shouldn't be complaining cause honestly there isn't gonna be solid options QB wise around 20.

We're probably going to be picking middle of the road again. Are you thinking those QBs could go #1 or #2? I doubt a team would move from those spots in my opinion.

2 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

What's wrong with having Brissett be our #2 and Eason be our #3? Isn't that how the Colts staff see it? With that being the case, it simply wouldn't be fair to throw Eason out there when you have Brissett ready to go. The Colts think Brissett has proven to be the team's #2 after Rivers so that's just how it is. If Rivers has an injury, we will see Brissett. It's not that hard to understand. 

Because you are being logical, rather than fan emotional. :thmup:

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

Right now we are in QB hell. 

I am going to guess that you have relatively no idea of what QB hell is.

13 hours ago, Superman said:

Also, while Rivers has been underwhelming and frustrating with the turnovers, it's worth keeping in mind that our TEs have been in and out of the lineup, our receivers haven't been healthy, we lost our best RB in the opener, and we didn't have our LT yesterday. Rivers has to be better, but we're five weeks in and the circumstances haven't been all that great so far. The coaches also have to be better, and that includes helping the QB with better play calling and situational decision making.

Best post in this thread. Thanks....

17 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

12 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

We're probably going to be picking middle of the road again. Are you thinking those QBs could go #1 or #2? I doubt a team would move from those spots in my opinion.

If the Giants are #1, they could probably be up for a trade. Unlikely if it's the Jets

You can fail at what you don't want, so you might as well take a chance on doing what you love.

One of my favorite Jim Carrey quotes and I use it in this sense.

We can sit here for years and drafting at 20 with stop gaps for QBs or Ballard can take it in own hands and trade up.

The rewards outweigh the risk IMO.

Getting a future QB would do wonders 

Trading up has its fair share of success and fails 

Success Mahomes Jackson Allen

Fails Trubisky Rosen 

5 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

He isn't gonna have many other options 

Its not like we are gonna strike gold later

He will probably think we will. haha. But we will see. I think he was ready to move to grab Love at one point but he will never say. I hope we do our due diligence and grab a potential star if we have to give up half our picks. Our team is built for a great QB right now and I hope we don't waste it. 

4 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Stephen Hawking was more mobile than Rivers (is that in bad taste?  I never know anymore).

What bothers me about Eason are his games against better teams.  Everyone seems to think he needed another year in college.  So maybe practicing against our D is his senior year?

If offense  keeps  current  play up we will lose versus Steelers, ravens, packers, raiders, and titans. 4 of those teams will probably  make our defense  look silly. So the offense  will need to score and not turn it over especially  against  ravens and Steelers 

33 minutes ago, Stephen said:

If offense  keeps  current  play up we will lose versus Steelers, ravens, packers, raiders, and titans. 4 of those teams will probably  make our defense  look silly. So the offense  will need to score and not turn it over especially  against  ravens and Steelers 

I'm sure we will pull off shocker wins nobody expects 

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

Right now this division is up to Indy & TN with TN facing the Bills tonight. (Go Bills.) Reich is going to have have the QB position under a microscope and a Ouija board to make the right calls at the right times.  Good luck with that coach.

Colts bills afc championship  lol

18 hours ago, Grigson's Gaffes said:

Let me sum up Eason's final season in college for you...

"In three early games against Eastern Washington, Hawaii and Brigham Young, Eason threw for a combined 901 yards, 10 touchdowns, and one interception. In conference, he averaged just 7.1 yards per attempt and completed 59% of his passes with a paltry 12-to-7 TD:INT ratio."

He isn't very mobile and he struggled when the pocket collapsed on him at Washington. He probably would have been better served playing one more year in college. He is nowhere near ready to start on a consistent basis in the NFL and rushing him out there could really de-rail his development. The Colts only options right now, if they want to win, are Philip or Jacoby. Neither are great options but this is the bed Ballard made.

Ok.....so how do we get Eastern Washington,  Hawaii, and Brigham Young on our schedule??haha

9 hours ago, John Waylon said:

To be quite brutally honest Reich doesn’t have the stones to put Eason in a game and look over and see Jacoby standing there getting jumped for a spot again

Just like he doesn’t have the stones to tell Hines and Wilkins “sorry guys, we need to spend more of our carries on our top back.”

I doubt Reich has the stones to pull Rivers for Brissett.  Just like he didn't pull vinny. Reich values respecting old time veterans over winning.

11 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Why do we (ie, fans) need to see him before the draft?

Aren’t these the sorts of things NFL teams have coaches, GMs, and other personnel related FO staff for?

Football teams aren’t democracies.

It’s kind of important to see him in s game to really get a feel if we need to draft a QB.

23 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

It’s kind of important to see him in s game to really get a feel if we need to draft a QB.

My point is that the people who make these decisions see him even if we fans — the ones who don’t make the decision — don’t.

Yes, there’s a big difference between a game and practices/workouts.  But lots of players get evaluated without ever stepping on the field in a regular season game.

So long as Eason is considered to be a realistic candidate for QB1 or QB2, he’ll be kept on the roster.  And that level of confidence will be indicated, in part, by other personnel moves at the position.

We're kind of in that limbo phase we aren't accustomed to. It sucks really, teams go through this for years sometime. There's no correct formula because getting that franchise QB isn't easy. Things have to line up also (picking high on a down qb draft kills that).

2 minutes ago, IinD said:

We're kind of in that limbo phase we aren't accustomed to. It sucks really, teams go through this for years sometime. There's no correct formula because getting that franchise QB isn't easy. Things have to line up also (picking high on a down qb draft kills that).

Ain't that the truth,we went years between Bert Jones and Peyton

On 10/12/2020 at 11:41 PM, Superman said:

Lamar got a few snaps here and there, even threw four passes in the opener. But they had him in on option packages, and Eason is not an option QB. Lamar took over as the starter in November, when Flacco got hurt.

I'm not that interested in rushing to see Eason. I'd like to have a better idea of what he can do before the season is over, especially if Rivers can't get it going pretty quickly here; we need to know what we have. But we don't need to rush it, especially when he's mostly a one dimensional player.

Also, while Rivers has been underwhelming and frustrating with the turnovers, it's worth keeping in mind that our TEs have been in and out of the lineup, our receivers haven't been healthy, we lost our best RB in the opener, and we didn't have our LT yesterday. Rivers has to be better, but we're five weeks in and the circumstances haven't been all that great so far. The coaches also have to be better, and that includes helping the QB with better play calling and situational decision making.

I agree but unfortunately we as fans know were not winning anything with Rivers as our QB we can just see it. But your right it isn't time for Eason unless were just trying not to be competitive and I think we as least want to do that.  The Titans look like the class of the division after beating up on the Bills last night. I'm going to say that Vrabel has been the better coach than Reich I think it's been without question. I know the injuries but every team deals with them it's part of the game. I just know that Rivers will continue to make poor decisions no matter if every player on the team is healthy. He will still will be 38 and looks 45 with his arm strength no matter whos coaching us and no matter who we field on game day. IMHO. 

53 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

It sounds like Reich thinks with his heart instead of using brain and logic....It doesn't matter if Rivers is on track to throw 32 ints as long as he doesn't hurt the players feelings.  

I doubt that is the problem. 

The next move would be putting Brissett in. 

I highly doubt Eason will suit up before that happens. 

Way to early.  Its rivers show until we're eliminated from contention.  He hasnt been as bad as it looks on paper.  I'm confident the offense will start to gel soon.  I thought it was gonna be vs the browns but that clearly wasnt the case.

Archived