Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why We Need To Get Clark Back

Dtman513

Dallas Clark is still on the market. We lost Tamme to Denver, leaving Eldridge as our veteran tight end on the roster.

I think Grigson should try to find a way to work a deal with Clark to get him back on the roster for the Colts.

He'll provide good veteran experience for Luck, a security blanket, and if somehow they can draft Coby Fleener he would be a good mentor for the guy.

I feel that's what they did in retaining Wayne, and they should do the same for Clark.

Thoughts?

I like the Idea of just trying to get Fleener with out Clark, I dont think he really needs a mentor, Although Id love to have clark back but His ability to stay healthy the past few seasons is really what makes me want to keep away from dallas, unless of course we cant get anyone else

for example say there are 2 free agents: Clark and I guess we can say Shockey if he is a FA. Id choose clark everytime. But Id really just like for them to shoot for Fleener and leave clark behind

I'd rather have Visanthe Shianco than Clark. Love Dallas, but he isn't a very good blocker and last season without Manning Clark struggled. He's also been very injury prone lately...

Besides the injuries, he's also dropped more than his share the last couple years. Probably a consequence of the injuries.

Love the guy, but we can get by without him.

I don't think we will explore this. I think frankly the fact the Colts really didn't seem to go after Tamme tells me that I think the Colts are moving in a different direction at the tightend spot. I think they want a more traditional blocking tightend. If he can stay healthy I would really look for Eldridge to thrive in that kind of system.

If he comes cheap, sure. His blocking is below average, so he can't do much for you there. He is also injury prone, as he has missed his fair share of games recently. Some say he might retire

And since his wrist sugery he's had the dropsies...

What about Brody Eldridge? Has everyone given up on him?

Eldridge is a decent blocker, but unimpressive in the passing game. We could really use a pass-catching tight end. It's pretty common to have a tight end duo of some kind where one mainly catches and the other mainly blocks. (and of course they mix it up from time to time.)

Perhaps a pass-catching tight end isn't as prevalent as some other positions, but if we pick one up in the draft or FA he will certainly be put to good use.

latest mock draft on NFL.com doesnt have feener (sorry if i messed up on his name) the TE from stanford going in the first round...if that holds up the colts can easily draft him in the second round. and could solve the TE problem.

He may not go in the first round (I'd be surprised if that happened), but keep in mind the Rams are in front of us. Lance Kendricks didn't pan out and Bajema is easily replaceable. They could easily go with a great target for Bradford.

Even if he drops to 2nd round Fleener would still have to get past the Rams at 33 or somone could leap frog us to get him there. I think the Rams are going to try to get as many weapons as possible for Bradford this year and Fleener might be one at 33.

If Fleener became available early 2nd round wouldn't our desperate need at a NT outweigh our need at TE? Should TE come before DT if either position is not met by draft?

NT is without doubt a bigger need than TE, however if the Colts sign a vet NT before the draft, it could push back the need to draft one early in the draft. They could target Asa Chapman late in the draft, listed at 6'4" 408lbs. WOW! Seriously though, he will probably suck.

I do not know how much of a security blanket Clark will be for Luck.

The guy just cannot block to save his life, has become rather injury prone, and honestly when healthy last season he was non-existent. For someone who was always touted as having good hands he always come up with some untimely drops and unless he would come back for really cheap I just think it is best to move on from the guy.

I think Clark is just another example of a guy who had some talent, but was made to look much better then he was by Manning.

2007- 58 catches, 616 yards, 11 TD's

2008- broke franchise record for yards in a season = 848

2009- 100 catches, 1,106 yards, 10 TD's

2010- broken wrist ended season in Oct. 37 catches, 347 yards, 2 TD's

2011- seriously, Painter was at QB, no one looked good

Love Dallas Clark, it would be great for Luck to have a veteran TE to rely on!

I just don't think Clark will fit into what Arians wants to run. Obviously with Fleener's great pro day, anything short of trading up, we couldn't be able to get him. Unless that ankle injury he had during his pro day affects how teams look at him, I don't see him falling into the 2nd round. I say we keep Eldridge and go for a undrafted rookie FA TE