Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chad Kelly’s Quote

coltsfeva

19 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

Claims he faster than any QB not named Lamar Jackson.

He did look pretty fast in his preseason games. Part of me hopes the Colts trade Brissett but not until they see what they have in Kelly and Eason.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/07/18/chad-kelly-claims-hes-the-second-fastest-quarterback-in-the-nfl/amp/

Big deal and probably not a true statement. We need QBs that can make the right reads and throw the ball accurately.

2 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Did you even bother to read the article? It sounds like Chad might be hitting the sauce again.

If you assume things like that, based on a most likely bored 20 something guy, stating he thinks he's the second fastest at his position, and playfully posts "race me". Well.....I'll infer that you are a stick in the mud, with a corn cob up your *. 

Your flawed lack of logic works both ways.

11 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

If you assume things like that, based on a most likely bored 20 something guy, stating he thinks he's the second fastest at his position, and playfully posts "race me". Well.....I'll infer that you are a stick in the mud, with a corn cob up your *. 

Your flawed lack of logic works both ways.

Right, because the guy who's supposed to be learning to live a clean life with humility above all else decided to post something boastful to social media on a Friday night. Sure sounds like a reasonable take that it's a guy sliding back into his old patterns.

32 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

Right, because the guy who's supposed to be learning to live a clean life with humility above all else decided to post something boastful to social media on a Friday night. Sure sounds like a reasonable take that it's a guy sliding back into his old patterns.

Cdga doesn't have reasonable takes. He might be the biggest troll on the site and that's saying something.

A guy claims he is 2nd fastest QB in the league, he might be, who knows? He is pretty fast.

Far cry from it being a reasonable take, that he is hitting the sauce. But whatever to each his one I guess.

snow white haters GIF

6 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

He did look pretty fast in his preseason games. Part of me hopes the Colts trade Brissett but not until they see what they have in Kelly and Eason.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/07/18/chad-kelly-claims-hes-the-second-fastest-quarterback-in-the-nfl/amp/

I Bet Snoop Dogg GIF by chuber channel

6 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

Hey, ALL of me hopes the Colts trade or cut Brissett...it can't happen too soon. Brissett was lousy last year and needs to be gone...he had his shot. The only good thing he has ever done for the Colts is getting us the first overall pick which became Andrew Luck.

2 minutes ago, CanuckColt said:

Hey, ALL of me hopes the Colts trade or cut Brissett...it can't happen too soon. Brissett was lousy last year and needs to be gone...he had his shot. The only good thing he has ever done for the Colts is getting us the first overall pick which became Andrew Luck.

Dave Chapelle GIF by MOODMAN

in 2012 JB was at Florida

He must have forgot about Watson.  Love the confidence but when 3rd stringers spout off like this it makes me laugh. Focus on making the squad full time and go from there. I think he is good as gone.  I just don’t understand guys like this.  I would think videos of him working out and throwing accurate passes would be more beneficial than challenging every freaking starter in the league.  Whatever, will be over soon. 

1 hour ago, CanuckColt said:

I think you meant his 2017 season starting for us turned into the 3rd overall pick which eventually turned into Quinton Nelson and a host of other players. 

Theres no connection — none — between JB and Andrew Luck. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think you meant his 2017 season starting for us turned into the 3rd overall pick which eventually turned into Quinton Nelson and a host of other players. 

Theres no connection — none — between JB and Andrew Luck. 

Yeah that was all Curtis painter’s doing.  

8 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

Finally a voice of reason !

I think too many posters here are reading way, WAY too much into way, WAY too little. 

It’s been the off-season from Hell and we’re all dying for some real quality football content, and this is what we get....   so people are annoyed.

I seriously doubt that Ballard or Reich called him to ask him what was he doing with that tweet.   I think this is a big fat Nothing Burger.

He’s probably The fastest QB on our roster, which isn’t saying much.  Eason and Brissett ran the 40 in around 4.9.  They used an hourglass to time Rivers.

It’s a shame we won’t see training camp.  Personally I think Kelly beats out Eason if it’s a fair competition.  But I also think the writing is on the wall and the decision is pretty much set.  

32 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

He’s probably The fastest QB on our roster, which isn’t saying much.  Eason and Brissett ran the 40 in around 4.9.  They used an hourglass to time Rivers.

It’s a shame we won’t see training camp.  Personally I think Kelly beats out Eason if it’s a fair competition.  But I also think the writing is on the wall and the decision is pretty much set.  

Hopefully he sticks on PS. Odds are pretty good I think.

57 minutes ago, stitches said:

Eh, people are making too much out of this. It looks like he's just joking around. 

joking or not, you know what’s going to happen when/if they get to camp, right?  Even back when I played, if someone said they were fast, guys would be lining up to race them.  “Let’s see what ya got, Swag”

Group wise, normally QBs are faster than Olinemen, and maybe DTs.  Heck, this year there were two 300lb DTs that ran 4.8.   

13 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

joking or not, you know what’s going to happen when/if they get to camp, right?  Even back when I played, if someone said they were fast, guys would be lining up to race them.  “Let’s see what ya got, Swag”

Group wise, normally QBs are faster than Olinemen, and maybe DTs.  Heck, this year there were two 300lb DTs that ran 4.8.   

Bulletin Board Material 

Making a bold statement doesnt mean you're an alcoholic again. Drinking in general, doesnt make you an alcoholic again. %, no one even said kelly was an alcoholic. Just that he was a party boy who let his emotions get the better of him a few too many times. Still... doesnt make you an alcoholic... not sure who said Kelly stopped drinking? Anyone? 

These comments are the same as the ones regarding the Colts owner doing drugs again because he happened to look like a train wreck once. 

Whatever makes you feel better about the life you're living that you cant seem to figure out why you hate. 

I'm already ready for this topic to get buried and forgotten. 

8 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

Found this list and I forgot about Kyler Murray(so did the author of the list).

Unless Kelly can run sub-4.5, he’s probably not as fast as he thinks

I don’t believe Kelly was invited to the combine.   I think his off the field issues got him uninvited to the event.    That means none of us knows how fast the kid is at 40 yards.  I seriously doubt he’s the 2nd fastest at 40 yards, but I admire his confidence...,

25 minutes ago, Myles said:

This seems to be no big deal.  

I'm on board with the cut Brissett and go with Eason and Kelly in the backup roles.

You might be but if you listen to the Colts they aren’t.  Jacoby is the backup and Eason and Kelly are fighting for the third spot.  I really doubt Kelly is going to beat out the new draft pick.  

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t believe Kelly was invited to the combine.   I think his off the field issues got him uninvited to the event.    That means none of us knows how fast the kid is at 40 yards.  I seriously doubt he’s the 2nd fastest at 40 yards, but I admire his confidence...,

He had a broken hand/wrist so he couldn't perform physically at the combine AND the off the field stuff sealed the deal for him not going if I recall correctly?

7 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Huh?

What reason could you possibly have to believe that the competition won’t be a fair fight?    What have Ballard or Reich ever done to think that competition wouldn’t be fair?

Or am I misunderstanding your meaning?

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?

What reason could you possibly have to believe that the competition won’t be a fair fight?    What have Ballard or Reich ever done to think that competition wouldn’t be fair?

I agree. If Kelly wasn't given a fair chance to earn a roster spot he would have already been gone. He was given a bigger contract than the other practice squad players when he signed. 

The thing is if he don't make the roster or is beat out by Eason there will still be those who thing they know better than the coaches who see him everyday. 

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?

Lets see.... Not start Kelly over Brissett when Brissett was injured, the league had adjusted to him, and we were mathmatically eliminated from the playoffs with the only other option being Brian Hoyer. There was nothing Kelly could do, or can ever do to start. 

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?

My opinion, obviously, but in general I think a recent draft pick gets the edge over a FA even if their reps are equal.  Let’s face it, neither are going to get real opportunities to show their stuff this year.  So I can see them making the easy choice since neither will be counted on.  In that way, the competition (IMO) isn’t fair.  If they both came out the same year and both were FAs, it would be a fair competition.  Capiche?

Again, only my opinion, but I think Kelly has a more competitive personality than Eason.  Mayock said he may have had the biggest arm in the draft, but he got hurt and in trouble.  He’s mobile and knows the offense.  So, tell me, in your opinion, what does he have to do win the job?

29 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Lets see.... Not start Kelly over Brissett when Brissett was injured, the league had adjusted to him, and we were mathmatically eliminated from the playoffs with the only other option being Brian Hoyer. There was nothing Kelly could do, or can ever do to start. 

10 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Did it ever inter your mind that Kelly didn't do enough to make the coaches trust him? 

They are the ones who see him everyday and he would have started had they thought we had a better chance of winning. 

Trust me. The coaches want to win as much as the fans do. Their jobs are on the line. 

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Did it ever inter your mind that Kelly didn't do enough to make the coaches trust him? 

They are the ones who see him everyday and he would have started had they thought we had a better chance of winning. 

Trust me. The coaches want to win as much as the fans do. Their jobs are on the line. 

Running Man Dancing GIF

5 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

My opinion, obviously, but in general I think a recent draft pick gets the edge over a FA even if their reps are equal.  Let’s face it, neither are going to get real opportunities to show their stuff this year.  So I can see them making the easy choice since neither will be counted on.  In that way, the competition (IMO) isn’t fair.  If they both came out the same year and both were FAs, it would be a fair competition.  Capiche?

Again, only my opinion, but I think Kelly has a more competitive personality than Eason.  Mayock said he may have had the biggest arm in the draft, but he got hurt and in trouble.  He’s mobile and knows the offense.  So, tell me, in your opinion, what does he have to do win the job?

Well....    I think this off-season is the most insane off-season in sports history, so I agree that Kelly and Eason are not going to get many good looks or opportunities.   But I think that’s circumstance and not some deliberate attempt to fix the outcome of the competition. 

I think we’d like to keep three QBs on the roster (PR, JB, JE) with CK on the PS.   Now, that may not work out.   We may keep two, trade or cut one and try to sneak JE to the PS.  I think the situation is so fluid most anything could happen.   

But I think it’s counter-intuitive to think that that we cut Kelly last September, and then when we brought him back we made him the highest paid practice squad player in the NFL and then didn’t play him all year because we were trying to be unfair to him (This part is meant as much for another poster).   We clearly said to him that we weren’t going to play him, no matter what, that he was going to have to earn trust with a full year commitment from him.  We paid for the privilege of keeping him on the PS all season long, we made a deal.  I don’t think we were being punitive.  If we had been, his agent would’ve asked for his release at some point and yet Kelly is still on the team. 

I think our dealings with Kelly are professional and not personal... 

Sorty for the length of this post.

50 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I see your point.  I don't know much about either one and if I had to, I'd choose Eason.    Not sure this is "unfair", but with a minimal preseason, the fringe players (Kelly) are at a disadvantage.   But the root cause is still all on Kelly himself.  

I'd like to see Eason at #2 and Kelly at #3 this season, but JB isn't going anywhere.

53 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well....    I think this off-season is the most insane off-season in sports history, so I agree that Kelly and Eason are not going to get many good looks or opportunities.   But I think that’s circumstance and not some deliberate attempt to fix the outcome of the competition. 

I think we’d like to keep three QBs on the roster (PR, JB, JE) with CK on the PS.   Now, that may not work out.   We may keep two, trade or cut one and try to sneak JE to the PS.  I think the situation is so fluid most anything could happen.   

But I think it’s counter-intuitive to think that that we cut Kelly last September, and then when we brought him back we made him the highest paid practice squad player in the NFL and then didn’t play him all year because we were trying to be unfair to him (This part is meant as much for another poster).   We clearly said to him that we weren’t going to play him, no matter what, that he was going to have to earn trust with a full year commitment from him.  We paid for the privilege of keeping him on the PS all season long, we made a deal.  I don’t think we were being punitive.  If we had been, his agent would’ve asked for his release at some point and yet Kelly is still on the team. 

I think our dealings with Kelly are professional and not personal... 

Sorty for the length of this post.

No prob.  When I say ‘fair’ I'm not implying there’s anything nefarious going on.  It’s common that a lower draft pick or FA has to really outshine a higher draft pick.  It’s not fair because they both should be evaluated equally, but that’s not happening.

Your second paragraph sums up how everyone expects it to turn out.  Without ever seeing Eason play, we all expect he’ll be QB3.  Why?   Because even though he may not be better than Swag in practice, they’d be  afraid to put him on the PS. And maybe they think he has a better upside?  I don’t know, but you see what I mean about it not being a fair competition, right?

I watched Kelly have a better college career against better opponents than Eason.  Time will tell who turns out to be the better pro. 

Archived