Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chad Kelly’s Quote

coltsfeva

I know people won’t think so but with covid I think it’s important to keep all 4 QB. Imagine if Brissett and Rivers couldn’t play a game because of covid. Everything is so weird would it really be surprising if Eason or Kelly actually had to play a game. Everything is so unknown right now. One of them will be on the PS.  

On 7/18/2020 at 11:46 PM, CanuckColt said:

Hey, ALL of me hopes the Colts trade or cut Brissett...it can't happen too soon. Brissett was lousy last year and needs to be gone...he had his shot. The only good thing he has ever done for the Colts is getting us the first overall pick which became Andrew Luck.

That was Curtis Painter.

46 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I know people won’t think so but with covid I think it’s important to keep all 4 QB. Imagine if Brissett and Rivers couldn’t play a game because of covid. Everything is so weird would it really be surprising if Eason or Kelly actually had to play a game. Everything is so unknown right now. One of them will be on the PS.  

I could actually see a way for all of them to be on the roster because of the covid uncertainty.  The roster and PS have already been expanded.  Many teams carried three QB's last year at the old roster size.  I think it would be easier to PS a borderline WR, DB, LB than a QB with 40 states spiking.  CK is no slouch.  He can play.  I would rather have all four on the roster to be safe.  Depending on how the other teams fare their trade value could go up significantly as the season progresses.  That could be another reason to start off with four.  I wouldn't rule it out.  

46 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I could actually see a way for all of them to be on the roster because of the covid uncertainty.  The roster and PS have already been expanded.  Many teams carried three QB's last year at the old roster size.  I think it would be easier to PS a borderline WR, DB, LB than a QB with 40 states spiking.  CK is no slouch.  He can play.  I would rather have all four on the roster to be safe.  Depending on how the other teams fare their trade value could go up significantly as the season progresses.  That could be another reason to start off with four.  I wouldn't rule it out.  

The QB position, if we keep 4, would speak more of the indecision of the coaching staff to make a move one way or the other than Covid uncertainty, IMO. That is the position that could get away with the least contact and injuries if the QBs are smart, and I personally do not see, Covid or not, us keeping more than 3 QBs.

I would prefer they just cut loose JB or Chad Kelly than regurgitating the same all over again. As far as CK's claim, it does make you question whether he is getting tired of not being relevant and had to get his 15 minutes of fame by saying something that would raise eyebrows. Kyler Murray and Russell Wilson would both like to have a word with him, IMO. 

36 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I totally agree.  And yet, they’re talking about reduced roster sizes in camp so they can social distance more.  Ludicrous.  

You either have football, with expanded rosters, or cancel the season.  

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

The QB position, if we keep 4, would speak more of the indecision of the coaching staff to make a move one way or the other than Covid uncertainty, IMO. That is the position that could get away with the least contact and injuries if the QBs are smart, and I personally do not see, Covid or not, us keeping more than 3 QBs.

I would prefer they just cut loose JB or Chad Kelly than regurgitating the same all over again. As far as CK's claim, it does make you question whether he is getting tired of not being relevant and had to get his 15 minutes of fame by saying something that would raise eyebrows. Kyler Murray and Russell Wilson would both like to have a word with him, IMO. 

The only way they would keep four on the active roster is because of Covid IMO.  It would have nothing to do with contact or injuries.  QB is the most important position.  It wouldn't take much to knock down the QB room due to Covid.  Today I would much rather have Kelly starting over Eason if it came to that.  I would anticipate Eason will get very little chance to showcase what he can do at camp and preseason for.  If we start losing QB's to Covid can you imagine Eason starting against Kelly who we might lose to another team.  It could happen.  Advantage Kelly.  With Indiana unable to contain the spread right now it might be smart to hang on to our QB's. JMO. 

Just now, richard pallo said:

The only way they would keep four on the active roster is because of Covid IMO.  It would have nothing to do with contact or injuries.  QB is the most important position.  It wouldn't take much to knock down the QB room due to Covid.  Today I would much rather have Kelly starting over Eason if it came to that.  I would anticipate Eason will get very little chance to showcase what he can do at camp and preseason for.  If we start losing QB's to Covid can you imagine Eason starting against Kelly who we might lose to another team.  It could happen.  Advantage Kelly.  With Indiana unable to contain the spread right now it might be smart to hang on to our QB's. JMO. 

I don't know man. The attrition on the trench positions with quality bodies needed for rotation will all take a hit. 

Are they increasing roster size to 56 or something? If yes, then we should be able to have depth spread out for trenches and special teams while keeping 4 QBs. If it is still 53, I don't see it without compromising serious depth elsewhere.

35 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I don't know man. The attrition on the trench positions with quality bodies needed for rotation will all take a hit. 

Are they increasing roster size to 56 or something? If yes, then we should be able to have depth spread out for trenches and special teams while keeping 4 QBs. If it is still 53, I don't see it without compromising serious depth elsewhere.

Yes.  I believe it is 55 but not certain.

1. I like Kelly. 2. I see nothing wrong with his statement. 3. Not sure if its true, but I don't care. 4. A little self promotion is fine with me, the guy is in a tough spot to make the roster, which I hope he does, but why not market yourself to other teams and remind the Colts or other teams, of a facet of his game that could be used? Good for him! 

On 7/19/2020 at 7:03 AM, coltsfeva said:

Found this list and I forgot about Kyler Murray(so did the author of the list).

Unless Kelly can run sub-4.5, he’s probably not as fast as he thinks

I do remember hearing he ran a sub 4.5 but I couldn't say where.  Don't I recall him tracking down a CB after a pick last pre-season?  Dude has wheels, his physical skills are fantastic.   This article puts at a 4.7 https://nflmocks.com/2016/07/03/chad-kelly-qb-ole-miss-2017-nfl-draft-scouting-report/

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I'm not an advocate for Kelly moving up in the QB order, but I remember liking what I seen in preseason.  I'm bummed we won't get to see him this year.  

I’m kinda where you are.  He reminded me of Favre sometimes, not Rogers, Favre.  Seemed to have playmaking attitude.  He made plays, and got me to the edge of my seat.

My other thoughts are that badically every play was a seemingly broken, run around.  In defense, talent/familiarity at wr suspect too.  He also seemed to “play small” i would call it.  Back to the Favre reference.  Kelly seems to have a nervous edge to him.  He’s the horse jumping around in the starting gate.  Not sure if i Love that ir am nervous about it.

Overall, i do see potential, i think?  Would have been nice to see him with #1 or #2 offense tho to really get a better feel.  He’s been an interesting project. 

40 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

I’m kinda where you are.  He reminded me of Favre sometimes, not Rogers, Favre.  Seemed to have playmaking attitude.  He made plays, and got me to the edge of my seat.

My other thoughts are that badically every play was a seemingly broken, run around.  In defense, talent/familiarity at wr suspect too.  He also seemed to “play small” i would call it.  Back to the Favre reference.  Kelly seems to have a nervous edge to him.  He’s the horse jumping around in the starting gate.  Not sure if i Love that ir am nervous about it.

Overall, i do see potential, i think?  Would have been nice to see him with #1 or #2 offense tho to really get a better feel.  He’s been an interesting project. 

I agree.  I was bummed that he didn't get playing time in the last game last year.  Not really to prove he is a future starter, but to help figure out the QB order.  

2 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

He reminds me of Romo. That isn't a bad thing if he could be that good but his playing style was almost identical in his pre-season games. Like Romo he is 6'2 and has some speed and throws good when a play breaks down out of the pocket. Romo was a good pro, not very good or great but solid good. With Chad we have nothing to go on as of now.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He reminds me of Romo. That isn't a bad thing if he could be that good but his playing style was almost identical in his pre-season games. Like Romo he is 6'2 and has some speed and throws good when a play breaks down out of the pocket. Romo was a good pro, not very good or great but solid good. With Chad we have nothing to go on as of now.

Agree.  And i can see some Romo.

Like i said, he was exciting and made plays.  Fir some reason i think much were due to his legs.  I’d not wanna rely in that. Defenses are smart.   I gotta see if i recorded preseason last year.  I usually do, since i bother to do sll regular season.

On 7/23/2020 at 7:30 PM, Myles said:

I'm not an advocate for Kelly moving up in the QB order, but I remember liking what I seen in preseason.  I'm bummed we won't get to see him this year.  

2nd play of the highlight is almost a 40 yard sprint.  He takes off from about the 38 but has to go around and angle outside of some players...  I ran a stopwatch in another window and he runs about a 4.6....   take off the pads, and give him a straight sprint with no defense.... he might really have 4.4 speed

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • Nadine locked this topic

Archived