Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bears cut Trey Burton

I'd prefer Howard too but the price is the issue. For a fourth rounder, I'd do it in a heartbeat because of his potential and because he'd be under contract for another year. 

But if the price is higher than that, Burton would be a smart, cheap alternative provided he can pass a physical. His history with Reich and Philly is intriguing. 

I definitely think the Colts should kick the tires on Burton. Hes familiar with Reich's system and wouldn't count against our comp picks. I also read an article that said he could sign for close to the vet minimum due to the Bears owing him 4 million this year regardless. If that is true it would be a no brainer. If he didn't work out just cut him with very little ramifications cap wise. 

5 hours ago, csmopar said:

Why is it every time another team cuts a player, people on here wanna sign said player? 9 times out of 10, there’s performance reasons players are cut this time of year. Rarely, do they go elsewhere and ball out. Very rarely

I didn’t post this to say we should sign him. He has history with Reich and has a sb.  We need a TE so it could make sense.

4 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I didn’t post this to say we should sign him. He has history with Reich and has a sb.  We need a TE so it could make sense.

It’s a low risk move as far as salary.... and he’s not a primadonna anything like Ebron was. And his familiarity with Reich is a plus.

The only thing that gives me pause is the dang hip surgery.

I’d wait until after the draft and then consider the option if we don’t draft a TE.

10 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Agreed.... he was very good with Eagles......

if healthy...... could be a good move to bolster TE room

24 minutes ago, CR91 said:

If he checks out this could be a typical Ballard FA signing.  If he signs him before the draft that would drop the TE further back in the needs dept.  Especially with a weak TE class.  I would think Burton would view the Colts and Eagles pretty highly from this group of teams.  

So the approach here would be to get older, less productive AND more injury prone at TE.

Burton was the TE3 for PHI when Reich was OC...and now he’s older and possibly broken down. Why would the Colts want that?

On that note...I wonder what Ladarius Green (Reich’s backup TE in SD) is up to these days. 

23 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

If he checks out this could be a typical Ballard FA signing.  If he signs him before the draft that would drop the TE further back in the needs dept.  Especially with a weak TE class.  I would think Burton would view the Colts and Eagles pretty highly from this group of teams.  

That is correct...Burton would follow the trend of signing mediocre pass catchers...and the results would be predictable.

Sorry for the snark...I just can’t understand how so many Colts fans would want Burton...but most don’t want Howard.

17 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

So the approach here would be to get older, less productive AND more injury prone at TE.

Burton was the TE3 for PHI when Reich was OC...and now he’s older and possibly broken down. Why would the Colts want that?

On that note...I wonder what Ladarius Green (Reich’s backup TE in SD) is up to these days. 

He's 28. That's not old and he was the TE behind Ertz. Godert wasn't drafted yet

23 hours ago, csmopar said:

Why is it every time another team cuts a player, people on here wanna sign said player? 9 times out of 10, there’s performance reasons players are cut this time of year. Rarely, do they go elsewhere and ball out. Very rarely

Because people understand the concept of buying on the cheap.

Burton is coming off a contract of 4/32.

We might be able to sign him to something like 2/10-12.    That’s a deep discount.   Burton is not yet 30 and the reason for his down year is injury related.   If we get a healthy Burton, then we’ve signed him on the cheap.  Who knows, maybe he does a 1-year prove it deal like Rhodes?

And....  it happens in a draft year where fans here are complaining that the tight end class is poor.  Add to the fact that Reich knows him and has coached him — maybe there's a fit?

55 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

That is correct...Burton would follow the trend of signing mediocre pass catchers...and the results would be predictable.

Sorry for the snark...I just can’t understand how so many Colts fans would want Burton...but most don’t want Howard.

Howard would be my first choice no doubt.  But Burton seems more Ballard like.  And right out of the gate we are one of the interested teams. 

Paging @Stitches

Tried sending you an e-mail, but the system says you're not receiving any....

Thought this thead would now interest you.    Also,  the latest tweets here show one from Albert Breer who notes that the initial info about the Wonderlic scores for QB's is wrong info.   He updates new accurate scores with a 39 for Herbert --- as you wisely and accurately predicted!

Check it out and let me know what you think!

15 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Because people understand the concept of buying on the cheap.

Burton is coming off a contract of 4/32.

We might be able to sign him to something like 2/10-12.    That’s a deep discount.   Burton is not yet 30 and the reason for his down year is injury related.   If we get a healthy Burton, then we’ve signed him on the cheap.  Who knows, maybe he does a 1-year prove it deal like Rhodes?

And....  it happens in a draft year where fans here are complaining that the tight end class is poor.  Add to the fact that Reich knows him and has coached him — maybe there's a fit?

I was speaking generally, not just about burton. It’s every time a place is cut, at least one with any clout to their name.

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Paging @Stitches

Tried sending you an e-mail, but the system says you're not receiving any....

Thought this thead would now interest you.    Also,  the latest tweets here show one from Albert Breer who notes that the initial info about the Wonderlic scores for QB's is wrong info.   He updates new accurate scores with a 39 for Herbert --- as you wisely and accurately predicted!

Check it out and let me know what you think!

Yeah that sounds about right. Herbert is multiple times academic all American and even all American of the year ancouple of times. The middling Wonderlic didn't fit that... Not that there is any evidence that there is connection between Wonderlic and NFL success, but...

My PMs are open if you want to reach me.

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

I was speaking generally, not just about burton. It’s every time a place is cut, at least one with any clout to their name.

Yes....   you are correct.   No disputing that.   Somebody posts that we should kick the tires on that guy.  

100 percent. 

On 4/17/2020 at 4:18 PM, csmopar said:

So....here is the consensus Colt fan logic:

Player fans don't like? That player sucks, is trash, garbage, horrible etc.

However, as soon as the team can even possibly jettison that player, they suddenly have trade value... sometimes even ridiculous value.  

Next, when a team has cut...or made notice that a player is available...or a click bait news hack has tweeted that a player would be a good fit...or "Inside sources" say it could happen....

then that player gets a thread here....every time. '

However, be glad of heart. When we do sign a player, that player will be designated instantly as having cost too much. :thanks:

On 4/18/2020 at 6:06 PM, CR91 said:

He's 28. That's not old and he was the TE behind Ertz. Godert wasn't drafted yet

He’s older than Ebron...who he would be replacing. He will turn 29 during the season.

In PHI...he was the TE3 behind Ertz and Celek. 

I am not against a cheap one year deal to see if he is healthy in T ...but it doesn’t move the needle.

On 4/17/2020 at 7:18 PM, csmopar said:

Man, I sure hope you are wrong 

(looks at picture of Philip Rivers in Colts gear) 

Archived