Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vetting James Morgan

36 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

If we bring him in, it would more than likely be in a backup role. He isn’t a starter, but he could be a good backup for much cheaper then Brissett is currently

We already have Kelly. That would be a waste of a pick. Any QB pick  in the 5th-7th round is a waste when we already have Kelly. 

15 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

We already have Kelly. That would be a waste of a pick. Any QB pick  in the 5th-7th round is a waste when we already have Kelly. 

You keep saying things like this (I've seen you say it for 3rd and 4th round qbs as well) but that really makes no sense.

1.  By saying not to draft a player because there is a similar player on the roster is a short sighted view of things.  Kelly is an ERFA after the 2020 season, so it makes no sense to forego a long term plan because there is a short term solution.

2.  You are assuming a 3-7th round QB will not be better than Kelly.  Which is a ridiculous assumption under any circumstances.

3.  I can guarantee that Chad Kelly has absolutely no bearing on the Colts draft board.

28 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

You keep saying things like this (I've seen you say it for 3rd and 4th round qbs as well) but that really makes no sense.

1.  By saying not to draft a player because there is a similar player on the roster is a short sighted view of things.  Kelly is an ERFA after the 2020 season, so it makes no sense to forego a long term plan because there is a short term solution.

2.  You are assuming a 3-7th round QB will not be better than Kelly.  Which is a ridiculous assumption under any circumstances.

3.  I can guarantee that Chad Kelly has absolutely no bearing on the Colts draft board.

I wouldn’t draft beyond a Gordon. He might not go until the fourth. That’s why I said 5th to 7th is a waste.  When we already have Kelly as a developmental QB it makes no sense to waste a pick that late.

11 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I wouldn’t draft beyond a Gordon. He might not go until the fourth. That’s why I said 5th to 7th is a waste.  When we already have Kelly as a developmental QB it makes no sense to waste a pick that late.

People around here would take an UDFA over Kelly. People around here, would take a retired Jim Kelly over Chad Kelly, and that's simply so they can stop hearing about Chad Kelly. It's a very well thought out strategy. 

14 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

People around here would take an UDFA over Kelly. People around here, would take a retired Jim Kelly over Chad Kelly, and that's simply so they can stop hearing about Chad Kelly. It's a very well thought out strategy. 

I don’t want us to take any QB unless we believe he is the future. It’s just a waste of a pick for me. Draft the future. 

So, I really have grown to like him as a prospect.  There is a reason that all these teams are showing interest and talking with him.  What confuses me is that everyone loves Jordan Love and gives him a million excuses for his bad senior year (rightfully so, to a point).  But when we talk about James Morgan he don't give the pass.  He had a great Junior year ( 2,727 passing, 65% completion, 26 TDs, 7 Ints and FIU was 9-4).   The biggest excuse that I am finding is that he was injured his entire Senior. That he chose to play through it.

I would take him in 3rd or 4th round.  Doesn't seem like I'm alone on this boat.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/03/25/james-morgan-draft-deepest-qb-sleeper

22 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t want us to take any QB unless we believe he is the future. It’s just a waste of a pick for me. Draft the future. 

I agree. It has already been established that Rivers is going to be the starter. If he plays well he will get another contract so why not stay with Kelly as the 3rd QB at this point? 

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

1. ERFA is meaningless because it's not even really a free agent.  An ERFA has to take a minimum contract if tendered by their team.  They can't negotiate with other teams unless their team doesn't tender them a minimum contract.  We would have Kelly on the cheap for at least 2 more years after this season.  Possibly 3.

2. Not really.  Kelly's big drawback that pulled him down to the last pick of the 7th round was his behavior and immaturity.  Immaturity and bad behavior are the least tolerated in QB's.  He had some other negatives on his play but no more than any other QB prospect.  It was the immaturity that killed Kelly.  If he was a mature player he was probably at least a mid-round pick.

3. Again you can't know that.  It's hard to say.  It was odd that they kept him on the roster after bringing him up to be Hoyer's backup.  

I'm not saying Kelly is the solution or anything.  I don't know if he's really grown up or not other than having stayed clean thus far.  (While it's certainly a good thing I don't consider spending a year without getting in trouble with the law to be a noted accomplishment.)  We know so little about the situation.  Reich and Ballard know more.  But I will repeat what I already said once.  You do yourself a dis-service to pretend that Kelly is an ordinary 7th round pick.  

6 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

1. ERFA is meaningless because it's not even really a free agent.  An ERFA has to take a minimum contract if tendered by their team.  They can't negotiate with other teams unless their team doesn't tender them a minimum contract.  We would have Kelly on the cheap for at least 2 more years after this season.  Possibly 3.

It's not meaningless, it just means it a player with less than three accrued seasons and no contract.  If the team offers him a 1 year vet minimum contract it means that he cannot neg. with other teams.  It also means he has no contract unless the original team offers him one.

2. Not really.  Kelly's big drawback that pulled him down to the last pick of the 7th round was his behavior and immaturity.  Immaturity and bad behavior are the least tolerated in QB's.  He had some other negatives on his play but no more than any other QB prospect.  It was the immaturity that killed Kelly.  If he was a mature player he was probably at least a mid-round pick.

Not really, his immaturity had a lot to do with him being a 7th round pick, but it's not like he was a 1st round talent, he was a 3rd to 5th round talent with maturity problems.

3. Again you can't know that.  It's hard to say.  It was odd that they kept him on the roster after bringing him up to be Hoyer's backup.  

Actually I can know that Kelly being on the roster has no bearing on their draft board.  Just like I can say definitively that having EJ Speed or Franklin on the roster is not going to affect the Colts draft board.

I'm not saying Kelly is the solution or anything.  I don't know if he's really grown up or not other than having stayed clean thus far.  (While it's certainly a good thing I don't consider spending a year without getting in trouble with the law to be a noted accomplishment.)  We know so little about the situation.  Reich and Ballard know more.  But I will repeat what I already said once.  You do yourself a dis-service to pretend that Kelly is an ordinary 7th round pick.  

No, he's an ordinary Day 3 pick that was drafted and released by his previous team because of maturity issues.  Just like, if the Colts draft a QB on day 3, they will be an ordinary day 3 pick, only without the maturity issues.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

I actually agree with this. The ones we aren’t hearing about is the ones we might actually be going after.

You know, Polian was infamous for this tactic, you (the general you, not you in particular) would read about how Polian and the Colts were looking at such and such a player and they were going to visit, etc. but all along they were looking at and talking to a different player from that school.

And Irsay, himself, said it was that time a year when you start putting out smokescreens.

14 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Like one GM said. There is no such a thing as a developmental player.  U draft a player with the idea of one day he can play.  U dont draft a player hoping to fix things. That was said by a GM and not me.  He said the great Bill Walsh hated it when a scout said a player was a developmental player. He would hit  the roof and tear the scout a new ...!!

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree. If we could snag Gordon at #75 I would do it.

I'm not going out of my way to take any QB to be honest with the first three picks. If Love were to drop to 34, I'd take him there. If he's not there, I'm using 34, 44, and 75 on three of WR/CB/OT/TE/DE. If Gordon is there in the 4th, I'll take a shot. If he's gone, I wouldn't take a QB at all. If Ballard though likes him enough to take him at 75, I won't complain though. 

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Like one GM said. There is no such a thing as a developmental player.  U draft a player with the idea of one day he can play.  U dont draft a player hoping to fix things. That was said by a GM and not me.  He said the great Bill Walsh hated it when a scout said a player was a developmental player. He would hit  the roof and tear the scout a new ...!!

I'd call that GM speak or word salad. When players get drafted late, then spend time getting coached on technique and scheme, and in the S&C program, that's called development. Wrap it up in any words that you want, but it's development.

49 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I'm not going out of my way to take any QB to be honest with the first three picks. If Love were to drop to 34, I'd take him there. If he's not there, I'm using 34, 44, and 75 on three of WR/CB/OT/TE/DE. If Gordon is there in the 4th, I'll take a shot. If he's gone, I wouldn't take a QB at all. If Ballard though likes him enough to take him at 75, I won't complain though. 

Yeah depends on if Ballard likes him. I could see TE, WR or WR then TE with the first 2 picks. If Gordon is there at #75 I would be ok if we drafted him.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah depends on if Ballard likes him. I could see TE, WR or WR then TE with the first 2 picks. If Gordon is there at #75 I would be ok if we drafted him.

I'm just really happy we already addressed QB and DT in FA. The rest is just gravy on top. Those two upgrades have the potential to transform both sides of the ball. WR is still one of my top personal wants, but it's limited to a legit X, and overall the unit is not near as bad as some folks think. I don't think TE is as bad off either. I'd love to have Kmet though. If we could get one of Claypool, Kmet, or Pittman, I'd be happy. I love Mims too, but I think he's more of a big Z than X.

18 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

That is literaly what they are attempting with every draft pick they make.  It is actualy a very large function of their jobs.  ; )

19 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I'd call that GM speak or word salad. When players get drafted late, then spend time getting coached on technique and scheme, and in the S&C program, that's called development. Wrap it up in any words that you want, but it's development.

Like I said, those were not my words but Bill Walsh's

On 4/7/2020 at 12:31 AM, EastStreet said:

This 10000

On 4/6/2020 at 10:14 AM, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

So, I really have grown to like him as a prospect.  There is a reason that all these teams are showing interest and talking with him.  What confuses me is that everyone loves Jordan Love and gives him a million excuses for his bad senior year (rightfully so, to a point).  But when we talk about James Morgan he don't give the pass.  He had a great Junior year ( 2,727 passing, 65% completion, 26 TDs, 7 Ints and FIU was 9-4).   The biggest excuse that I am finding is that he was injured his entire Senior. That he chose to play through it.

I would take him in 3rd or 4th round.  {snip}

Here's Chris Landry's list- (Hmmm, Morgan with round 5 value)

Early 1st Round

1. JOE BURROW—LSU
2. TUA TAGOVAILOA–ALABAMA

6.4 = Early 2nd Round Value ()
3. JUSTIN HERBERT–OREGON

Mid to Late 2nd Round Value ()
4. JORDAN LOVE–UTAH STATE
5. JACOB EASON–WASHINGTON
6. JAKE FROMM–GEORGIA

3rd Round Value
7. JALEN HURTS–ALABAMA

4th Round Value
8. ANTHONY GORDON–WASHINGTON STATE
9. JOSH LOVE–SAN JOSE STATE
10. COLE MCDONALD–HAWAII

5th to 6th Round Value
11. JAMES MORGAN–FLORIDA INTERNATIONAL

7th Round to Priority Free Agent Value
12. NATE STANLEY–IOWA
13. STEVEN MONTEZ–COLORADO
14. BRYCE PERKINS–VIRGINIA
15. JAKE LUTON–OREGON STATE
16. BRIAN LEWERKE–MICHIGAN STATE
17. TYLER HUNTLEY–UTAH
18. KEVIN DAVIDSON–PRINCETON
19. SHEA PATTERSON–MICHIGAN

3 hours ago, Dr. T said:

If we take a flier on a late round QB, I would choose the kid from Hawaii.

Late round 4 value, at #10? Think he lasts to round 5 or later?

11 hours ago, Superman said:

I can't stand Lance Zierlein...

"Turns into a pass-rush punching bag unnecessarily"

While I can agree, was this intended for another thread? Or just stating your disdain for Lance Zierlein? haha

Archived