Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Now is the time to draft a Quarterback!

Now that the Colts have signed Rivers to a one year deal it's time for Ballard to start looking at the long term solution at Quarterback. Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields will not be options next season, because they're both going in the top 10, and Ballard said we would never draft that high again. I've seen enough from Jalen Hurts in college to see that he has Russell Wilson type traits. Remember, Russell Wilson was a 3rd round pick and I'm not saying Jalen will be Russell but that is something to keep in mind. Jordan Love slip in the draft but I don't think he will fall out of the first round. Ballard could possibly package a couple of picks and trade back into the first and get his future Quarterback. 

This is just my opinion, both players have to be on Ballard's board. I'm not sold on Eason, yes he showed off his great arm at the combine but his lack of work ethic issues concern me. I know some people on this forum love Fromm but I don't. Now is the time to draft a Quarterback!

1 hour ago, DownHillRunner said:

Now that the Colts have signed Rivers to a one year deal it's time for Ballard to start looking at the long term solution at Quarterback. Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields will not be options next season, because they're both going in the top 10, and Ballard said we would never draft that high again. I've seen enough from Jalen Hurts in college to see that he has Russell Wilson type traits. Remember, Russell Wilson was a 3rd round pick and I'm not saying Jalen will be Russell but that is something to keep in mind. Jordan Love slip in the draft but I don't think he will fall out of the first round. Ballard could possibly package a couple of picks and trade back into the first and get his future Quarterback. 

This is just my opinion, both players have to be on Ballard's board. I'm not sold on Eason, yes he showed off his great arm at the combine but his lack of work ethic issues concern me. I know some people on this forum love Fromm but I don't. Now is the time to draft a Quarterback!

Actually,  I think the Colts recent moves is an indictment on the qb talent in this draft.

Should sure be a fun few weeks and a fun draft. So many options! Maybe the QBs they like aren't first round guys, or maybe they don't like any of them, or maybe they will trade back up, or maybe they like Kelly to develop. So many maybes! M excited to see how it plays out! I think we have definitely gotten better in a couple of our weaker areas the last couple days IMO. 

50 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Actually,  I think the Colts recent moves is an indictment on the qb talent in this draft.

It could be. It could also be that he didn't think we had the ammo to move up high enough to get the guy he would want --- or that he thinks one or two of those guys will fall after the free agency/trade QB carousel stops.

Or, that he just loves Buckner and it was too good to pass up. I read something yesterday, but can't remember where now, that this deal was being cooked up right after the Super Bowl. 

That's interesting.

8 minutes ago, chrisbeldridge said:

After thinking about this, I think we are going to draft Jacob Eason as our quarterback of the future.  Big arm, not real mobile, similar traits of Philip Rivers.  He can learn from a future hall of famer with similar physical traits.  I like this plan.

That was a rumor I saw.  The rumor even said the colts felt like they could trade back a few spots for him. Bucs are taking a QB I would think. I don’t know much about their oline to know if they need to upgrade. Both Eason and Love would work in that offense. I think with Arians age he wants to win now so maybe they don’t draft a QB 14.  Chargers may take a QB at six but they need to upgrade the oline too. Rumor is they’ve like Hurts.

With the way the Mahomes draft went down Ballard might really like one of these QB but has some info that tells him they are goinf to fall so he felt he could give up that 13th pick for a pro bowl player.  Raiders aren’t taking one either after signing Marcus.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

We have a ton of options. Draft Eason, Hurts, or Gordon. We have ammo to move back up to the first. Even that 10-15 range of Herbert and Love slip. It’s just who does ballard like the most for the future. Fromm ran a nfl offense I am just not sold he can stretch the field.

I liked Hurts and Eason; I was really impressed with Gordon's quick release.   I like Fromm but his combine drill looked like he was overthrowing quite a bit.  I think he might be ok behind our line.  In addition, if we can get him at #34 and sit him behind Rivers and let him learn.  (Of course, I'm biased towards Georgia players).  I don't think Love or Herbert will be there. 

I don’t see a future QB being drafted in round 2. At Al

Rivers is a win NOW move

players picked in early round 2 will be expected to  contribute in 2020

I see us going with WR TE and or DB

I see us going Rookie QB in later rounds

Bring on Anthony Gordon

Put the kid in the. Weight room

he will be special in 2-3 years 

1 minute ago, GwinnettColt said:

I liked Hurts and Eason; I was really impressed with Gordon's quick release.   I like Fromm but his combine drill looked like he was overthrowing quite a bit.  I think he might be ok behind our line.  In addition, if we can get him at #34 and sit him behind Rivers and let him learn.  (Of course, I'm biased towards Georgia players).  I don't think Love or Herbert will be there. 

The thing with Fromm he has the ability to read defenses now. The mental and football IQ is already there. Burrow doesn’t have a strong arm either. Does Fromm has the ability to make every throw and stretch the field. I just don’t know. I do know he was better in 2018. Gordon has such a quick release he would probably fit this quick hitting offense.

Just now, MikeCurtis said:

Rivers is a win NOW move

Huh. You so realize Mahomes sat a year. Even taking a QB at 13 I would of expected them to sit a year.

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Huh. You so realize Mahomes sat a year. Even taking a QB at 13 I would of expected them to sit a year.

Different situation 

KC didn’t bring in a vet the same year they drafted Mahommes 

The move for Rivers is a clear move to win in 2020. 

I believe the early picks this year will fill immediate needs to win in 2020

As you know I was an early cheerleader to pick Anthony Gordon in this draft

I hope he is available in round 3

1 minute ago, MikeCurtis said:

Different situation 

I agree. Win now. Plus Rivers said he wants to play more than a year so I think he is thinking multiple shots at the Super Bowl too.  

28 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Different situation 

Lol. They already had that vet on the roster. They didn’t need to bring in a vet. I believe they also went to the playoffs with smith Mahomes rookie year.

2 hours ago, chrisbeldridge said:

After thinking about this, I think we are going to draft Jacob Eason as our quarterback of the future.  Big arm, not real mobile, similar traits of Philip Rivers.  He can learn from a future hall of famer with similar physical traits.  I like this plan.

You know I was just thinking about Ballard selecting Eason. He and Rivers are the exact same Quarterback. I see a mini Rivers in Eason. 

3 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

So the Dolphins, Chargers and Bucs all qb needy teams were in on Brady.  The Colts decided to trade out of the #13 spot.  Maybe they r telling us something.  This years crop of qbs is not that great?!?

I’ve been saying that all yr long.  2nd 3rd round sure.  Wasting on 13 or the stupidity of trading up for one of these guys is hilarious.  

chase young is the real deal. Burrow is a possibility .   Tua if healthy is far and away the best QB/player in  the draft behind Young

and guess what Bucker is even freakin better than Young!!! 

3 minutes ago, WifiGuy said:

I’ve been saying that all yr long.  2nd 3rd round sure.  Wasting on 13 or the stupidity of trading up for one of these guys is hilarious.  

chase young is the real deal. Burrow is a possibility .   Tua if healthy is far and away the best QB/player in  the draft behind Young

and guess what Bucker is even freakin better than Young!!! 

Buckner would be a top 5 pick if in this years draft.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Buckner would be a top 5 pick if in this years draft.

I think he’d be the  BPA as far as talent .  TBH  Chase young would be close 

on top of that. For those who want to draft by need.  He’s the BPA as far as need 

this is a huge huge grand slam by Ballard !

2 minutes ago, WifiGuy said:

I think he’d be the  BPA as far as talent .  TBH  Chase young would be close 

on top of that. For those who want to draft by need.  He’s the BPA as far as need 

this is a huge huge grand slam by Ballard !

Yeah it would be possible that Buckner would even go 2nd. Burrow would be #1 just because the Bengals need a QB and that is the most important position on the field.

Ballard is a risk taker, he took one trading the 13th pick for Buckner.  We'll have to see how the other picks plays out  to benefit the Colts....I think Ballard has a plan for the Colts to be solid defensively to complement the offense with Rivers at the helm.

2 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

Ballard is a risk taker, he took one trading the 13th pick for Buckner.  We'll have to see how the other picks plays out  to benefit the Colts....I think Ballard has a plan for the Colts to be solid defensively to complement the offense with Rivers at the helm.

He definitely has a plan.  Not sure what it is but it’s exciting as a colts fan in FA for a

change.    Hell. In my lifetime!

I have little complaint about taking a QB in Round 2....if it's Eason, and #44, not Hurts (or Eason) at #34. The 34th pick will very likely be available to use on someone who, quite frankly, should've been picked in Round 1 but wasn't--one of the WRs, a TE, maybe an OT or even another potential athletic-freak DL like Madubuike or Blacklock.

If Eason's there at #44, I'm OK with picking him.

If Hurts or Gordon's there at #75, I'm more than OK with picking him.

I love Hurts intangibles, but I just don’t know if he can make the throws to be an NFL QB. 

Also we will have to do something with Jacoby if we draft a QB because it’s unlikely we keep 3 QBs throughout the regular season. 

my guess if they want to draft a QB they will package JB in a trade to a team like the patriots. 

I haven't studied any of these QBs.  Which one of them is currently in a system that is close to what we currently run? And of course which ones do you think could be available for us in RD #2?  Who is the best fit based on what our coaches and gm value the most in your opinion?  The names I hear the most I will sit down and take a look.

5 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

So the Dolphins, Chargers and Bucs all qb needy teams were in on Brady.  The Colts decided to trade out of the #13 spot.  Maybe they r telling us something.  This years crop of qbs is not that great?!?

Perhaps the indictment is more on them not being NFL ready...and all of those teams wanted Brady as a stopgap...like the Colts with Rivers.

I was fully aboard the Love train...and I liked Herbert as well.

But I have to admit...I am very intrigued by Hurts. Love is the guy I want...but I would love to see what Reich can do with Hurts...if he can teach him to go through progressions. Or perhaps...he would just install an RPO and let Hurts do his thing. Would be a very different type of QB than the Colts have really ever had.

Also...someone put 10-15 lbs on Charleston Rambo...that guy looks like he could be a stud WR in the NFL.

6 hours ago, Hark said:

@stitches, with guys likely available to us at 34 or 44, is there anybody you like? I have high hopes for Gordon with some good coaching, but would be interested to get your take.

Gordon is very intriguing but also very raw. For as raw as people think Love is, IMO Gordon needs A TON more work. Love has inconsistent footwork, Gordon's is a complete and utter mess. I would be happy drafting him at 75... I think he's a worthwhile shot to take. At 44 I would probably still be OK with it but it would make me raise my eyebrow.

About other QBs, if Love or Eason fall to 34 or 44 and Ballard likes them enough to take them, I will be happy with it. 

I've been very dubious about Fromm. I've been so up and down on him. Started low, then he captured me for a while, then the more I watched the more queasy I got about his pocket presence and his lack of playmaking. I think at the end of the day he's probably high end backup/low end starter so I would rather us not draft him. 

I don't get it with Hurts either. Greg Cosell puts it very well - you have to decide what he is and how you are going to use him. Is he Dak Prescott-type or do you need to build your offense around the threat of his running in a similar way to what Baltimore did with Lamar. At the end of the day I don't think he's good enough athlete to build the offense around his running(+this is risky having in mind how many bad hit he was taking on runs in college and how much worse this could get in the NFL) and I don't think he's good enough as a passer from the pocket to build your offense around him as a passer. Overall, I think he's a fascinating project, but one I would rather watch develop from afar than having to root for with my team.

I guess it boils down to Love or Eason in R2 or trade up in R1 for the 5th year, or Gordon at 44-75 range. 

6 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Rivers is a win NOW move

I see us going Rookie QB in later rounds

Bring on Anthony Gordon

Put the kid in the. Weight room

he will be special in 2-3 years 

Wow. Pretty much just said the same in another thread. I think your assessment of the two FA moves could be on to something. I too am currently leaning in thinking we're looking at later round guys. And not to be that guy, but past Love, Herbert, Eason (who could all be gone by 34), Hurts is the only guys who I think gives me optimism he could offer something that Chad Kelly can't. With the 1st round gone, that's where I think we are left with, with guys who show little more promise than Chad Kelly. So I'm thinking someone like Hurts, Gordon, or McDonald are in play here. I think we lean towards being competitive now. So we don't trade away 2nd round picks, passing on filling some key positions that still need aid.

but yeah we could also trade up lol.

10 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I have been saying this for a while now.  And I've read that some scouts like the '21 class better.

Is it just me or is it funny how quickly people change their tune to suit what they want. 

everyone wanted Love or Herbert. So much so that everyone believed we had to trade up to get one of them. 

Now, we don’t have the 13th pick and suddenly everyone is saying, they both slide and we can get them. Stop it, this is crazy. 

dolphins, chargers, raiders, Jaguars, Bucs could all still need a QB. That is not even counting Patriots, Packers or Broncos who could be looking also. 

They are gone. They won’t slide. 

Give me:

Hurts

Gordon

Morgan

Give me Kelly. 

As it pertains to Love, In the words of Frozen, “LET IT GO”

5 hours ago, funktacious2 said:

Wow. Pretty much just said the same in another thread. I think your assessment of the two FA moves could be on to something. I too am currently leaning in thinking we're looking at later round guys. And not to be that guy, but past Love, Herbert, Eason (who could all be gone by 34), Hurts is the only guys who I think gives me optimism he could offer something that Chad Kelly can't. With the 1st round gone, that's where I think we are left with, with guys who show little more promise than Chad Kelly. So I'm thinking someone like Hurts, Gordon, or McDonald are in play here. I think we lean towards being competitive now. So we don't trade away 2nd round picks, passing on filling some key positions that still need aid.

but yeah we could also trade up lol.

I think a clear message was sent....

They had the pick that might have brought Love here

They were close enough with extra picks year to trade up to make sure they had a swing at the top 4

None of the four were “Their guys”

The Colts effectively passed

In regards to the next round of QBs, the only one I’d like to see wearing a horseshoe is Anthony Gordon

There have been a few commentators who have brought up issues on Eason

Some of the high school and college team mates have said that he doesn’t put the work in......  That’s a horrible thing.

Supposedly he also was on Washington campus for a year and still didn’t know the offense.   

Maybe the kid is lazy, maybe the kid just makes enemies that run to reporters

Who knows... ?

I also have no idea if Gordon will be special in the NFL....  but the kid has one of the quickest releases I have seen in a few years.

The ball is out NOW 

A quick release is a great thing as the windows close quickly and the defense has very little time to react

I hope we get him, 

Archived