Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Could Philip Rivers be in the Colts future?

19 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

it wont happen but rivers isnt coming either 

i would be fine with brady but have not found one single colts fan that would be ok with it besides me

I wouldn't enjoy that especially if he hypothetically played like he's playing now, might as well roll JB back out there, but it'll never ever happen either, so whatever.

9 minutes ago, The Fish said:

might as well roll JB back out there, but it'll never ever happen either, so whatever.

it was a down year by his standards, but he still threw 4000 yards, high rating and low interceptions 

he was still pretty good, just not legendary qb status.  i dont blame anyone for not being on board, no one is apparently besides me

All of you "draft a quarterback" guys seem to think whoever we get will be fine. It doesn't work that way. Burrow looks like he has a good shot at being very good, but it's probably 50-50 on any of the rest.

The best move is to get Luck back. We know that will work.

Otherwise, we need to draft a defensive tackle and receiver in the first 34 and find a veteran and-or look for a guy we can develop later in the draft. That may or may not work, but we do not want to waste our top pick on a guy with question marks.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Orioles22 said:

The best move is to get Luck back. We know that will work.

hes not coming back, we will have to draft one or be stuck with jb or free agent

every year qbs in the draft have question marks, we are not going to be in a better spot to get one in the future either

Just now, Orioles22 said:

We will be "stuck" with the guy we pick at 13 if we reach for anyone other than Burrow.

would rather take a chance on love or tua than be stuck with jacoby.  both of them have a high risk to reward 

JB has question marks his own self too, the risk with him is that he never gets better either he is 27 now

I don't get the Rivers love.  Too old to use this guy to build a team around.  And the Chargers had some pretty good teams and never did much, in my opinion.

Anyway - I just don't see this guy taking us to a Superbowl so I don't see the point.  Do we need him as a bridge to our next franchise QB?  Plenty of guys could fill that role.  If we are going to be mediocre why spend big money on Rivers?

I'd rather get an impact defensive tackle while we can and a receiver at 34 than reach for Love. We could get a free agent that would probably be better than any rookie we get at 13. We could end up like some other teams and have to draft a quarterback every third or fourth year if we start that.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Myles said:

He wouldn't a huge upgrade for sure.  But I think he would be an improvement.   Especially with our O-line.  He would go from 5th least time to throw to 2nd most.   

I would take him in a NY minute! Then draft a qb and groom him. Kelly should be the backup and/or JB

• Like 2

I didn't start this post to say I think they should bring him in. I was just thinking with all the familiarity he would have with the offensive coaching staff would the Colts take a chance on him for a year or too.

I personally don't think it will happen but who really knows.

I see a lot of Hype for the QB Love. I heard quite a few folks say that he will not pan out as a NFL QB. Guess we will see.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

This guy has a dozen kids, do you think he'll uproot them from schools, clubs, that they belong to.  I don't think so, but again it won't be a bad idea if he came down...

Yeah, he's been a pretty prolific father. You could say he's 'scored' a lot, both on and off the field. :-P

I've warmed to this idea over the course of the day to some extent. It really all comes down to Ballard's evaluation of the QB class and what's/who's possible though. Finding a guy long term in the draft is the most important thing going on, but a year with Rivers might bridge this team better to the future than hanging out with JB and doing this routine again. I think in the FA group he's likely the guy who'd work out the best given that he's got some history with Reich. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Agreed but it wouldn’t shock if the Colts draft a kid to “develop” while a vet, probably Jacoby as much as people don’t want it, starts the season at QB.

Not sure I want JB to mentor any future QB

14 hours ago, HectorRoberts said:

I thought we are trying to upgrade from Jacoby? Rivers is not an upgrade anymore.

This post is beyond hilarious.  :lol:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Honestly backup QBs tend to make pretty good teachers.  That’s why a lot of them end up as coaches.

JB has backed up 2 of the best in Luck and Brady, his on field performance hasn't shown any ability to pass down any knowledge he might have. 

On 12/29/2019 at 9:19 PM, Wyldhorsefan said:

I know I know Philip is 38 year old So it would only be for a year or two but Frank Reich was the Chargers quarterbacks coach in 2013 and offensive coordinator from 2014-2015. Colts OC Nick Sirianni was on the Chargers coaching staff for five seasons as the team’s offensive quality control coach (2013), quarterbacks coach (2014-2015) and wide receivers coach (2016-2017).  there would be a lot of familiarity there. Just a thought.

I don’t think Rivers is an option.   It’s not that he’s 38.   But his fall off thus year was terrible.   He badly regressed.   You think Jacoby was poor?   I’d hate to see Phil come here and flop. 

20 minutes ago, ojsglove said:

JB has backed up 2 of the best in Luck and Brady, his on field performance hasn't shown any ability to pass down any knowledge he might have. 

Just because someone can’t do doesn’t mean they can’t teach.  Look at Doug Pederson with the Eagles vs say Bart Starr when he coached the Packers for examples.  Doug was a journeyman backup QB who has turned into a. Super Bowl winning coach.  Bart Starr was a great QB who couldn’t coach his way out of a paper bag.

• Thanks 1

Sorry, I disagree.  Signing Rivers gives us a quality vet QB, standup guy, which would end this QB controversy that is starting to affect the locker room.  It also gives us the opportunity to focus our needs on the defense side in the draft. Lighting in a bottle

10 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Just because someone can’t do doesn’t mean they can’t teach.  Look at Doug Pederson with the Eagles vs say Bart Starr when he coached the Packers for examples.  Doug was a journeyman backup QB who has turned into a. Super Bowl winning coach.  Bart Starr was a great QB who couldn’t coach his way out of a paper bag.

Your honest opinion, do you see anything in JB that he could honestly pass on to a rookie QB?

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t think Rivers is an option.   It’s not that he’s 38.   But his fall off thus year was terrible.   He badly regressed.   You think Jacoby was poor?   I’d hate to see Phil come here and flop. 

I think playing behind our O-line could help him.   He'd go from the 5th least amount of time to throw to the 2nd most.   

I know that it won't happen though.  

15 hours ago, Wyldhorsefan said:

I heard quite a few folks say that he will not pan out as a NFL QB

same was said about mahomes.  i read that only a few teams saw him as a first round pick.  the draft experts gave them a C average for taking him 

On 12/31/2019 at 2:43 AM, Thunderbolt said:

Phillip no, Tom yes.  See if Tom is willing to sign for a one year contract to at least help develop one of the rookie QBs we're going to draft.....Might be pricy, but we have all that cap money.  We need to win now..

Kraft and Belichick would never allow Brady to play for the Colts. You saw what happened with McDaniels.  I wouldn’t want him ever wearing the Shoe anyway. Colts will find their own way back to contention eventually. No need to sell our soul for Brady. 

Phillip Rivers is washed but would be better than Brissett. How ever not enough to warrant the dollars it will take to sign him. 

Love is overrated. Don’t want to draft him.  Would rather draft Justin Herbert and just take our lumps with Jacoby/Herbert next season. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Coltsman1788 said:

Kraft and Belichick would never allow Brady to play for the Colts. You saw what happened with McDaniels.  I wouldn’t want him ever wearing the Shoe anyway. Colts will find their own way back to contention eventually.

He’s a free agent the Pats have no say in what he does as he had it written into his contract that they can’t franchise tag him.  

I am with you though I don’t want him.

14 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

He’s a free agent the Pats have no say in what he does as he had it written into his contract that they can’t franchise tag him.  

I am with you though I don’t want him.

By that I mean that if the Pats  got wind the Colts were about to sign him. Kraft would swoop in and probably get Brady to resign for less than what the Colts would be offering.  He knows that he could not allow that to happen. Their fan base would be in an uproar.  Brady deep down wants to retire a Patriot...they are  his entire legacy.  

Article on rumor of Colts interest in Rivers:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/colts-to-explore-idea-of-signing-philip-rivers-in-2020/ar-BBYwMRs?ocid=AMZN

Colts to explore idea of signing Philip Rivers in 2020?

The Indianapolis Colts are rumored to have some interest in potentially signing soon-to-be free agent quarterback Philip Rivers for the 2020 season.

Jeremy Fowler of ESPN shared that NFL executives believe the Colts will explore the idea of signing Rivers this offseason, per Locked on Colts Podcast, which noted the connection Rivers has with Colts head coach Frank Reich and his coordinator, Nick Sirianni...

59 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

By that I mean that if the Pats  got wind the Colts were about to sign him. Kraft would swoop in and probably get Brady to resign for less than what the Colts would be offering.  He knows that he could not allow that to happen. Their fan base would be in an uproar.  Brady deep down wants to retire a Patriot...they are  his entire legacy.  

Unless Brady wants out.  If he doesn’t want out he’d probably just re-sign there to start with.

I'd root for him because he's on my team, but man do I hate the guy. I'm sure he's a great guy, I just am one of those folks that hates him for his hissy fits over the years.

He also looks old and slow in general in the couple games I've watched.

We'll see I guess..