Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Could Philip Rivers be in the Colts future?

6 minutes ago, Myles said:

Same here.   I don't necessarily prefer Rivers to any of those you listed.  But if the option were Brissett or Rivers to bridge the gap for the Colts, I'd choose Rivers.  

Only the "best option" if the only other option is Brissett.   I've never been much of a fan of Rivers.  In fact I argue that he shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame as most people think he should.   Just an improvement.   I think this team is good enough to win 8 games with a below average QB (Brissett), so maybe 10 wins with Rivers.   

Whats the difference between Rivers and Hasselback? Both are mediocre at best. Now if you mentioned Matt Ryan, at least he's a little better than Rivers. But would cost alot as well. And please No NO NO Andy Dalton. Whats the difference between Andy Dalton and Rivers? Nothing, only that Dalton is a younger version of Rivers. lol

Let me drop this bomb on this thread. Kapernick has done more with 49ers than Rivers has done with Chargers. (Please don't get upset. The truth is the truth)

5 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Whats the difference between Rivers and Hasselback? Both are mediocre at best. Now if you mentioned Matt Ryan, at least he's a little better than Rivers. But would cost alot as well. And please No NO NO Andy Dalton. Whats the difference between Andy Dalton and Rivers? Nothing, only that Dalton is a younger version of Rivers. lol

Let me drop this bomb on this thread. Kapernick has done more with 49ers than Rivers has done with Chargers. (Please don't get upset. The truth is the truth)

@Myles Why are you confused? Is there something you didnt understand? Let me know where I've lied or didnt tell the truth. Let me guess, you think Rivers will be he next coming of Kurt Werner to the Cardinals? lol funny. Phillip Rivers is who we thought he was. A Hasselback 2.0

I think Philip Rivers is a decent QB but the big question is, would he be willing to take a 1 or 2 year max deal somewhere else? Obviously he's not a long term guy being he's 38 years old so I think it would be pointless. Either draft a QB that we like or roll with Brissett and evaluate the QB talent in the following draft.

4 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

@Myles Why are you confused? Is there something you didnt understand? Let me know where I've lied or didnt tell the truth. Let me guess, you think Rivers will be he next coming of Kurt Werner to the Cardinals? lol funny. Phillip Rivers is who we thought he was. A Hasselback 2.0

I was confused because you didn't mention Brissett.   Do you think Brissett is better than Rivers or Dalton?   Hasselback was better than Brissett too.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

I think Philip Rivers is a decent QB but the big question is, would he be willing to take a 1 or 2 year max deal somewhere else? Obviously he's not a long term guy being he's 38 years old so I think it would be pointless. Either draft a QB that we like or roll with Brissett and evaluate the QB talent in the following draft.

I also don't think there is much of a chance that Rivers will be in Indy next season.   Very slim.   But I'd be OK if he was the bridge instead of Brissett.  

Just now, pgt_rob said:

If Rivers is decent, then what kind of team will he need to get over the hump? A team stacked like the SAINTS, PATS, RAVENS or something? Because when the Chargers killed the Colts a few years ago with Peyton Manning, their entire defense darn near were Pro Bowlers (Cromartie, Luis Castillo, Shawne Merrimane, Quetin Jammer, Eric Weddle, Shaun Phillips (who the Colts eventually signed)). This wsa just on defense.

Offense:

LT, Malcom Floyd (who got a huge contract after leaving), Antonio Gates, Vincent Jackson, just to name a few. So you guys think the Colts current roster is better than the Chargers 2009 Team or any team from that Era? I doubt it.

1 minute ago, Rackeen305 said:

If Rivers is decent, then what kind of team will he need to get over the hump? A team stacked like the SAINTS, PATS, RAVENS or something? Because when the Chargers killed the Colts a few years ago with Peyton Manning, their entire defense darn near were Pro Bowlers (Cromartie, Luis Castillo, Shawne Merrimane, Quetin Jammer, Eric Weddle, Shaun Phillips (who the Colts eventually signed)). This wsa just on defense.

Offense:

LT, Malcom Floyd (who got a huge contract after leaving), Antonio Gates, Vincent Jackson, just to name a few. So you guys think the Colts current roster is better than the Chargers 2009 Team or any team from that Era? I doubt it.

I said that he was decent. Just how Brissett is decent. I think Rivers is a better QB than Brissett but neither are a solution for the Colts. That's why I said it would be pointless to sign Rivers. We're looking for someone long term.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

I said that he was decent. Just how Brissett is decent. I think Rivers is a better QB than Brissett but neither are a solution for the Colts. That's why I said it would be pointless to sign Rivers. We're looking for someone long term.

I respect your opinion, but Phillip Rivers is TRASH. jmho. He had years with some of the best players at their position (Tomlinson, Gates, Merrimane, Takeo Spikes, Cromartie, Jammer, to name a few) and didnt do CRAP! He's passed his prime and would be just a decent backup. Not a starter. BTW The Chargers still had a better record this year than the Colts, and their team is more stacked than the Colts. He would come to Indy and just be (7-9) or (9-7) at best. 

EDIT, Sorry the Chargers had a worst record than the Colts. But that just goes to support my statement of how garbage he is. It would be like signing ELI Manning to the Colts at this junction of their careers.

5 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

I agree.  The only way I would want Rivers here for a year or 2 is if the option is Brissett for a year or 2.   

6 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

Why does one preclude the other..

You get Rivers(or another FA QB) and you pick a guy who can sit- which is like it or not, a safer move from Ballard's position. When he picks a QB high, he's going to have a record that every Tom, Dick and Harry will judge. Right now it's a little less defined and with a veteran bridge guy it stays that way for a few more years if that bridge works out. I'm not saying that's the motivation (playing it safe), but I also wouldn't totally rule it out either. This rebuild was going to take time and without Luck, it's going to take more time. 

I respect your opinion, but Phillip Rivers is TRASH. jmho. He had years with some of the best players at their position (Tomlinson, Gates, Merrimane, Takeo Spikes, Cromartie, Jammer, to name a few) and didnt do CRAP! He's passed his prime and would be just a decent backup. Not a starter. BTW The Chargers still had a better record this year than the Colts, and their team is more stacked than the Colts. He would come to Indy and just be (7-9) or (9-7) at best. 

EDIT, Sorry the Chargers had a worst record than the Colts. But that just goes to support my statement of how garbage he is. It would be like signing ELI Manning to the Colts at this junction of their careers.

I think we're both in agreement. You're just a little more enthusiastic about him than I am. lol.

Remeber I said it first, Rivers is TRASH lol

Many on here said Brissett was trash to start the season.  I wasn't one of them, I was a JB defender.   But he didn't improve and now we know what he is.   

As long as there is improvement at the QB spot.   That's all I want.  

The 2 years with Reich as his OC are very consistent:

2014 - 66.5 % completions, 31 TD's, 18 INT's, 93.8 rating

2015 - 66.1 % completions, 29 TD's, 13 INT's, 93.8 rating

2 hours ago, Superman said:

JB has broken you all.

Rivers was a disaster this year. He was productive, and he's a better QB than JB, but he's not the kind of guy you bring in to help your team contend in the AFC. The Chargers have a better roster than the Colts, on both sides of the ball, and they won five games this year. They couldn't finish a close game all season (besides beating us in the opener), and many of those losses came as a result of a big turnover by Rivers. 

In the first Raiders game, the Chargers got the ball with 1:02 left, with three timeouts, down by two points. Need about 40 yards for a FG try. Rivers went 0/7 on that drive. He was 0/3, then on the first fourth down the Raiders got called for defensive holding on another incomplete pass. Then Rivers threw four more incompletions. 

There was another game against the Chiefs, Rivers threw four picks. They lost by a TD. 

He might have been the Chargers biggest issue this season. Honorable mention to a tough kicking situation, but that got settled by midseason. 

I don't see Rivers as a solution to any of our problems. 

Your opening sentence is spot on.

1 minute ago, MPStack said:

@Rackeen305 Come down guy, I’m only posting what floating around there. Besides, it makes interesting conversation on the forum. No? :thmup:

1 minute ago, Myles said:

Many on here said Brissett was trash to start the season.  I wasn't one of them, I was a JB defender.   But he didn't improve and now we know what he is.   

As long as there is improvement at the QB spot.   That's all I want.  

If the Colts want a QB with some promise, I would even take a look at Garner Minshew. He is a better option at QB than Rivers.

YDS 3,271 20th

TD 21 Tied-19th

INT 6 Tied-8th

QBR 42.9-26th

This is from a rookie, on the Jags.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Remeber I said it first, Rivers is TRASH lol

How many games do you suppose Rivers would post numbers like 15-30, 150 yards, no TD's and maybe one bad turnover or not with the Colts roster?

If Rivers is trash, than I expect an expletive laced mile long rant about JB. Fair is fair.

• Like 1

Just now, Rackeen305 said:

If the Colts want a QB with some promise, I would even take a look at Garner Minshew. He is a better option at QB than Rivers.

YDS 3,271 20th

TD 21 Tied-19th

INT 6 Tied-8th

QBR 42.9-26th

I would certainly take him over Brissett.  He still shows potential too.   I don't know what the Jags plans are, but I don't think they would trade him or Foles to the Colts.   

• Like 1

Just now, Rackeen305 said:

YDS 3,271 20th

TD 21 Tied-19th

INT 6 Tied-8th

QBR 42.9-26th

You think the Jags are trading Minshew? 

I’d think cutting Foles, would be more realistic and I like Minshew. 

Not to mention potentially helping a division rival. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MPStack said:

You think the Jags are trading Minshew? 

I’d think cutting Foles, would be more realistic and I like Minshew. 

Not to mention potentially helping a division rival. 

Since Reich and Foles won a Super Bowl together, I'd like to see them reunited.

• Like 1

Foles would be an okay option for the Colts, but I don't see that happening. The Jags made up for the biff of giving him 20 mill a year with Minshew being pretty all rite and having potential going forward. 

But this does raise another point. Are we as Colts fans really cool with standing pat going into next year knowing that we've got the 4th best starting QB in the AFCS? Seems like a problem to be addressed, no?

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Well, what would you like to see happen? If not Rivers- and the other guys, I'm largely not bullish on either, but there's the possibility that a guy like Dalton could be okay too.. I saw you say that the QB room shouldn't be undone, but it's only a few guys. Hoyer's out I'm assuming. Kelly is whatever. So it's JB and high end rookie and Kelly? JB, lower range rookie and another vet? Something else? Wait and see? JB for POTUS in 2020?

The most important thing to me is that the QB of the future is on the roster in 2020. My preferred approach is to draft him and let him compete with JB for the starting job next year, and whatever happens is whatever happens, but he should be ready no later than Week 1 2021. This is the Patrick Mahomes program.

Whether the QB room is rounded out with a third guy, and who that third guy is, those aren't relevant to me. Hoyer can stay until cut day, or until we find a trade partner for him. I'm fine with Kelly being in the picture, to me he's a flyer who might get a chance at some point and become a trade asset. 

If they bring in a good vet who can help the team compete for playoff contention and serve as a bridge to the future, or if they bring in a vet who is young enough and promising enough to actually be the future, then that's an acceptable Plan B. But I would still want to identify a guy in a middle round who has some promise for the future, and maybe we find ourselves in a Matt Flynn / Russell Wilson kind of situation in September. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

Foles would be an okay option for the Colts, but I don't see that happening. The Jags made up for the biff of giving him 20 mill a year with Minshew being pretty all rite and having potential going forward. 

But this does raise another point. Are we as Colts fans really cool with standing pat going into next year knowing that we've got the 4th best starting QB in the AFCS? Seems like a problem to be addressed, no?

Minshew is pretty bad. He has some pizzazz that JB doesn't, but he's not a better QB at this point. 

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

Minshew is pretty bad. He has some pizzazz that JB doesn't, but he's not a better QB at this point. 

Here's a debate I couldn't possibly know enough to go to the mat for, but from what I've seen.. that pizza makes him better. mmm.. 

But honestly, he went 6-6 with a mediocre at best squad and certainly looked better to me in week 17. It's a we'll see kinda thing, but I could see Minshew  playing gutsy, winning ball going forward.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Here's a debate I couldn't possibly know enough to go to the mat for, but from what I've seen.. that pizza makes him better. mmm.. 

But honestly, he went 6-6 with a mediocre at best squad and certainly looked better to me in week 17. It's a we'll see kinda thing, but I could see Minshew  playing gutsy, winning ball going forward.

I'll say this, the Jags need to get better at QB just like we do. 

20 minutes ago, Superman said:

I disagree.

In 2 less games than Brissett:

Comp % - Minshew 60.6%, Brissett 60.9%

Yards - Minshew 3271 yards, Brissett 2942 yards

TD's - Minshew 21 TD's,  Brissett 18 TD's

INT's - Both had 6

Rating - Minshew 91.2,  Brissett 88.0

Mostly, my eye test showed me that Minshew had the higher ceiling.  This was his rookie season where it was Brissetts 4th season.   

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Myles said:

I disagree.

In 2 less games than Brissett:

Comp % - Minshew 60.6%, Brissett 60.9%

Yards - Minshew 3271 yards, Brissett 2942 yards

TD's - Minshew 21 TD's,  Brissett 18 TD's

INT's - Both had 6

Rating - Minshew 91.2,  Brissett 88.0

Mostly, my eye test showed me that Minshew had the higher ceiling.  This was his rookie season where it was Brissetts 4th season.   

This what the eye test told me too. He's capable of moving the ball and I couldn't name you one Jags receiver or TE. They've got Fornett (sp) who's on again off again so no bonus point or knock because of talent around him. But Superman could be totally right that he's an overachieving 6th rounder who's ceiling isn't going to satisfy the Jags expectations or need long term. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Fish said:

This what the eye test told me too. He's capable of moving the ball and I couldn't name you one Jags receiver or TE. They've got Fornett (sp) who's on again off again so no bonus point or knock because of talent around him. But Superman could be totally right that he's an overachieving 6th rounder who's ceiling isn't going to satisfy the Jags expectations or need long term. 

Chark was a great WR for them.   I won't deny that they had the better weapons.

But Minshew only had 12 NFL starts and Brissett 32. Brissett looks just the same as his first few starts.   Minshew still may improve.   Minshew may have a little lower floor, but he has a much higher ceiling.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DownHillRunner said:

No thanks! Twenty interceptions is a lot for a guy who has playmakers on offense. It’s not like he had no receivers to throw to. Plus, I never liked the guy’s all eyes on me whiny attitude. The Colts do not need that type of player in the locker room. 

I don't think anyone thinks he would be great.   Just an improvement over Brissett.  

I would like to see him use Hines.  I think Hines and Ekeler are very similar.  Rivers threw to Ekeler 108 times for 92 completions and 993 yards.   

3 hours ago, Superman said:

What's more likely with a 39 year old QB? That he goes back to his good play from two years ago and throws fewer interceptions while maintaining efficiency, or that he continues to struggle? Especially with a new team.

You're right the Colts OL is better. The Chargers have a better receiving corps, the RB room is close to a wash, they have better TEs. They had a lot of injuries on defense, so maybe that side of the ball wasn't dramatically better this year, but still better IMO. 

I mean...he’s only one year removed from a very very good season. I admit he looked bad this past year...but it’s a short-term gamble...that at least has upside of working. There is no upside to starting JB next year.

• Like 2

My initial reaction to Rivers was “no” given his poor 2019.  I looked at his 2019 game by game numbers and his QB rating in games where he threw 30 or less passes was pretty damn good.  With our running attack I would hope he wouldn’t have to throw more than 30 times very often.  I’m in for a 2 year deal for Rivers and draft the QB of the future.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Since Reich and Foles won a Super Bowl together, I'd like to see them reunited.

Same here. It’s the move that makes the most sense. JAC can’t afford to cut Foles...given his contract structure...trading him is at least somewhat palatable. The Colts are a divisional rival...but they have the cap space. I think something could be worked out toward that end.

Give Foles a year or two and draft someone to develop this year.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Same here. It’s the move that makes the most sense. JAC can’t afford to cut Foles...given his contract structure...trading him is at least somewhat palatable. The Colts are a divisional rival...but they have the cap space. I think something could be worked out toward that end.

Give Foles a year or two and draft someone to develop this year.

I am not bailing out a division rival, to be honest, especially if there are equivalent options available for us to improve the QB position, whether via draft or FA. 

The only way I'd take him is if they part with two 2nd rounders at least. Moreover, our cap space can be used for play makers in free agency, and too much will be tied into the QB position.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Myles said:

I don't think anyone thinks he would be great.   Just an improvement over Brissett.  

I would like to see him use Hines.  I think Hines and Ekeler are very similar.  Rivers threw to Ekeler 108 times for 92 completions and 993 yards.   

True on the experience and RB involvement part but his arm is shot enough that it gives plenty of recovery time for defenders to get the interceptions. If JB's weakness, not pushing down the field and playing it safe is a big reason why we are moving on from JB, Rivers' arm strength weakness, even while willing to push it down the field, puts us pretty much in the same boat as not enough plays being made down the field without turnovers.

I like JB as a back up, but in even that position I'd rather have Fitzpatrick. He's the best option for a back up, a slinger that can come in and win some games. I just think the flaws in JB's game cannot be fixed, he is what he is..

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

I like JB as a back up, but in even that position I'd rather have Fitzpatrick. He's the best option for a back up, a slinger that can come in and win some games. I just think the flaws in JB's game cannot be fixed, he is what he is..

Yes.   He is the same as he was coming out of college.  A year with the Pats didn't bring improvement.  A year starting in 2017 didn't change anything.   A year behind Luck in 2018 didn't change anything.  A full training camp and preseason as the #1 QB didn't change anything.   A full season starting in 2019 didn't change anything.

• Like 1