Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

With the 13th pick in 2020 NFL Draft (merge)


Recommended Posts

I believe Burrow is the only sure fire, non-bust QB in this year's draft and he is going #1 to the Bengals.

 

If Love is available at 34, I would take that risk.

 

As for #13, I would do somethink to help our dreadful pass defense. Opposing QBs having career games against us is a problem that can't be ignored. Our LBs are good enough. A player to impact our pass rush or defensive backfield is what I would prioritize.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have no #1 WR'S, We have an aging #2 and a fast talented WR that can't stay healthy. We need a true #1 WR, we should have taken Metcaf last year. 

QB is an issue no doubt. Fromm isn't a #1 pick, he's a mid #2 at best. Tua is a mid first but a health risk. Love is a major project, Eason is a bigger project and a 3rd rounder. I'd try to get a guy like Carr or the Red Rocket, they can be servicable.

TE is another major need, there's a few good ones available in FA.

DT is a position I'd target in the draft, Marvin Wilson with the Redskins #2 would be great if he falls.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, DougDew said:

For us to get an elite QB at 13, Ballard would have to see something other GMs do not.  I like him as a GM, but I don't think he's that smart to see something that another GM won't take ahead of him.

As much as we all want an elite quarterback, we don’t necessarily need one. We need a quarterback that won’t hold onto the ball for over 3 seconds on average because he doesn’t have the field awareness or the confidence in his arm. I’ve watched very little tape on 3 or 4 quarterbacks in this draft but know they can do a lot of things better than our current quarterback... and I was high on giving JB his opportunity. To say I was disappointed this year is an understatement. He should not be under center next season for this team.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

As much as we all want an elite quarterback, we don’t necessarily need one. We need a quarterback that won’t hold onto the ball for over 3 seconds on average because he doesn’t have the field awareness or the confidence in his arm. I’ve watched very little tape on 3 or 4 quarterbacks in this draft but know they can do a lot of things better than our current quarterback... and I was high on giving JB his opportunity. To say I was disappointed this year is an understatement. He should not be under center next season for this team.

Wow, this looks exactly like what I would have posted.   We might be twins.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, shakedownstreet said:

Imagine this forum melting down when we don't take a QB first :bossy:

That depends.  If they don't draft a QB and stick with Brissett for next season, I think a meltdown would be justified.  

If they address the QB position in another way and draft a D-lineman at #13, I think all will be good.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We better not take a qb first. There won't be one available that commands that 13th pick, and I can't see us trading up. Dl,og,wr,db, the four biggest needs outside of qb. For now I would get Dalton, the Bengals are probably going to release him, he is 2 years older than Luck. Someone said"but Dalton has never won a playoff game", big deal, no one has won a playoff game in Cincy since 1990. Remember folks Peyton didn't win a playoff game until 2003. Dalton can come in here and win immediately with this roster(just like Luck did!) Just my opinion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ColtJax said:

The first pick should be a WR, we should have a choice of a quality one..

Or a stud DT like Derrick Brown. I’d be completely happy with either Lamb or Jeudy at WR or Brown at DT at 13. Any QB outside of Burrow at 13 would be a mistake in my opinion. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

we will probably never be drafting high enough to select a sure thing QB

 

we will have to take a chance on one where we can.

 

remember watson, jackson, mahomes and wilson were all considered question marks going into the draft.  someone had to take a risk on all of them 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

I think it would be a mistake to go hell for leather for a QB in the first round

 

they do impress me, i like love and tua

 

we will probably never be picking high enough to get a sure thing, we will have to take a risk on someone. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CheezyColt said:

Imagine thinking TY Hilton isn't a #1 receiver. Yikes.

 

He is aging and we do need more talent at WR, nut I don't know what universe it's in that TY hasn't proven himself as a #1

He WAS a number 1, he's a very good #2 now. Age takes away from everyone, and it's taking away from him. We should have taken DK Metcalf last year, he looks like a potential #1 to me..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can see clearly now. Jacoby drops back, then, goes back into the pocket while still holding the ball. What happens next?

Rushed passes that don’t reach the receiver or a sack, or a sack and fumble. No scramble ability to possibly make a play.

As for announcers for any game saying how it is difficult, or challenging for a quarterback to pass while scrambling left or right, towards the sidelines...stop! It’s their job and have been doing this for so many years and get paid bookoo bucks to perform.

Jacoby, I still have faith in you but I challenge you to train in the off season to trim down, build muscle and tell us you are going to lead this team in the future. You need to be able to scramble and find your receivers for quicker releases.

I will do the same for my health, strength, and job.

Who am I to say this to Jacoby?

Well, I’d rather offer solutions instead of complaints.

Tell me what you think, Jacoby.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

I don't think Love, Tua or Fromm are worth 13.  I don't think Tua's going to pan out in the NFL, I didn't think so before he got injured either.  Love or Fromm may be worth the 44th pick, but IMO they're certainly not worthy of the 13th.

Agreed.  We are in no mans land for picking a QB in the first round, IMO.  Won't be able to trade up for a truly elite guy, the second tier QBs would be a reach at 13, and if their true value is the low first round (if we trade up into the low first) or early second round, then they will probably not be good enough to start right away.

 

That means JB plays again next year.

 

If fans want an immediate upgrade to JB, which may be something Irsay/Ballard will consider since the fans are so turned off by JB, I'd think they'd want to get Derrick Carr or Andy Dalton then draft the young QB to sit behind them for a couple of years.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Agreed.  We are in no mans land for picking a QB in the first round, IMO.  Won't be able to trade up for a truly elite guy, the second tier QBs would be a reach at 13, and if their true value is the low first round (if we trade up into the low first) or early second round, then they will probably not be good enough to start right away.

 

That means JB plays again next year.

 

If fans want an immediate upgrade to JB, which may be something Irsay/Ballard will consider since the fans are so turned off by JB, I'd think they'd want to get Derrick Carr or Andy Dalton then draft the young QB to sit behind them for a couple of years.

 

raiders are one pick ahead of us in the draft, you think they would trade carr just to be picking from the same Qbs that we are looking at now?  i dont

 

we are not going to be picking high in the next few years either, its going to be a risk no matter when we draft a QB

 

i dont think dalton is the answer either 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Agreed.  We are in no mans land for picking a QB in the first round, IMO.  Won't be able to trade up for a truly elite guy, the second tier QBs would be a reach at 13, and if their true value is the low first round (if we trade up into the low first) or early second round, then they will probably not be good enough to start right away.

 

That means JB plays again next year.

 

If fans want an immediate upgrade to JB, which may be something Irsay/Ballard will consider since the fans are so turned off by JB, I'd think they'd want to get Derrick Carr or Andy Dalton then draft the young QB to sit behind them for a couple of years.

 

That is why I want us to find the best defensive playmaker at No.13, and then package our 2 second rounders to move up back into latter half of first round to get a rookie QB that we have rated well to pick up the 5th year option. With the WR depth, we will find a good one in Round 3 and possibly gain a 3rd if we are dealing with a team in the second half of the 1st round.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, BProland85 said:

If Oakland wants to move on from Carr, I’d be in total support of sending them a 4th round pick to get him. Then you can draft 2 very talented WRs to elevate his play along with having a very good OL. 

if they trade him it wont be for a 4th, it would probably take a first and then some 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

If Oakland wants to move on from Carr, I’d be in total support of sending them a 4th round pick to get him. Then you can draft 2 very talented WRs to elevate his play along with having a very good OL. 

 

With the way QBs are valued, nothing short of Pick No.34 or more will satisfy Gruden and the Raiders, they are not going to give him away. That is a pipe dream, IMO, giving up anything later than that to get Carr.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Sign Carr for two, release JB and Hoyer - and have someone sit and mature a couple more years?

 

:stir:

This sounds like a good plan to me if this could actually happen.  I’d even go as high as a 3rd round pick for Carr.  Then, we could get a good defensive lineman in round 1 and a qb and wr or te in round 2.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

I think it would be a mistake to go hell for leather for a QB in the first round.  None of the guys on the board in round 1 really impress me, and we have an even more pressing need at WR right now.  I'd rather go for a first round wideout and a second round QB, there's usually gonna be some decent talents that don't go in round 1.

I think there will be a few QBs available at 13, its tough, if you see a QB you have as ,20th best prospect you have to take him there, and that's ok.   

 

In your scenario, my only issues are.... There are tons of talented wr in the draft this year.  Waiting on a QB means an even better chance of JB starting at QB and for longer.... This means your first Rd. Wr will only have 13 catches for 105 yards and two TDs through 8games of JB starting and then second Rd. Guy getting groomed.  

 

I guess I'd rather have the new guy in Rd. One and JB out of starting QB asap.....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Narcosys said:

And a rookie qb will do that?

 

Tell me, when's the last time a rookie qb win a SB?

 

We have a window of a few years I think.  I honestly doubt the rookie would start next year unless JB gets hurt.  

 

Still you have to pull the trigger on someone because doing nothing will not get us there.  At the same time I really don't see anyone available in FA or for trade getting us there either.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

 

raiders are one pick ahead of us in the draft, you think they would trade carr just to be picking from the same Qbs that we are looking at now?  i dont

 

we are not going to be picking high in the next few years either, its going to be a risk no matter when we draft a QB

 

i dont think dalton is the answer either 

 

 

I don't think any vet is "the answer", except for maybe Carr.  But yes, I think Gruden is the type who would trade Carr for, say, two picks and a player just to get the type of QB he really wants, say Love, with one pick at 12.  He gets his guy, another player, and two more picks for Carr.

 

Any other vet would simply be a stop gap QB to replace JB,  because the fans will stay away if JB is the QB come September.  I think Dalton would be much more accurate than JB, and wouldn't throw the picks if he didn't have to play hero ball.  He could probably be thought of as an actual game manager in Reich's O until such time as a younger QB is found and developed.....say that QB from Wazzu.

 

If the thinking is "anybody but JB", then Dalton seems like a decent QB to fill that role, but I agree, he would not be looked at as "the answer"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, chad72 said:

 

With the way QBs are valued, nothing short of Pick No.34 or more will satisfy Gruden and the Raiders, they are not going to give him away. That is a pipe dream, IMO, giving up anything later than that to get Carr.

Yep.  It would take pick 34, and maybe some players.

 

Possibly JB (if we eat part of his contract) as a vet backup and mentor to, say, Love; and a young player who could use a change of scenery, like Malik Hooker.

 

And if I were Ballard, I'd make that trade in a second

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, DougDew said:

I don't think any vet is "the answer", except for maybe Carr.  But yes, I think Gruden is the type who would trade Carr for, say, two picks and a player just to get the type of QB he really wants, say Love, with one pick at 12.  He gets his guy, another player, and two more picks for Carr.

 

Any other vet would simply be a stop gap QB to replace JB,  because the fans will stay away if JB is the QB come September.  I think Dalton would be much more accurate than JB, and wouldn't throw the picks if he didn't have to play hero ball.  He could probably be thought of as an actual game manager in Reich's O until such time as a younger QB is found and developed.....say that QB from Wazzu.

 

If the thinking is "anybody but JB", then Dalton seems like a decent QB to fill that role, but I agree, he would not be looked at as "the answer"

 

its not anybody but JB.  i do believe love and tua can be good in the league

 

i would be ok with carr too, i just think it will take more than some people do to get him

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

 

its not anybody but JB.  i do believe love and tua can be good in the league

 

i would be ok with carr too, i just think it will take more than some people do to get him

 

 

 

Maybe not you, but I get the impression many have that opinion.  That almost any QB can see the field better and throw more accurately than JB.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

 

raiders are one pick ahead of us in the draft, you think they would trade carr just to be picking from the same Qbs that we are looking at now?  i dont

 

we are not going to be picking high in the next few years either, its going to be a risk no matter when we draft a QB

 

i dont think dalton is the answer either 

 

 

If we traded our 1st for Carr then Gruden would have picks 12 and 13 to move up and get their guy.  QB is the most important position and we would have ours without losing years in developing a rookie that might or might not work out.  We would still have picks 34 and 44 and so on and FA.  I would call a trade like that a bold move that would excite the fans and the team and would make us immediate contenders.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I think he meant if Luck had returned in 2019, the Colts were poised to win it all which I don't agree with. I think they still needed quite a bit to win it all.
    • Which would be the best argument  for taking BTJ at 15 and not risk losing him. He’ll almost certainly be there at 15. At 20, likely not. Thomas would be an excellent addition to the Colts. He looks like the WR1 they’ve been seeking. But for the three uber talented freaks he’s competing against,  he’d be the top WR in a typical draft. I wouldn’t want to have to choose between him, Bowers or Mitchell if it came to that.     
    • Ballard started with 7 draft picks and ended with 12.   At the time, instant analysis, his draft was called the third best.  Everyone grades a draft right after it happens.   Theres a difference between grading a draft in the days right after the draft, which everyone does, and a grade done a year later for click bait.    I take those with a grain of salt because none of us knows until after three years.  But Jared accepted this years analysis of last years draft as informative when it’s not.   He accepted it because he’s not in the Ballard camp so anything he can use to build a case against CB he does.  
    • Yeah the NT market isn’t great. He’s the top option for any team that needs a 1-tech, hence why he’s top priority. TBH I think of our upcoming FAs, he’d be the hardest guy to replace.
    • Thanks, I appreciate that. I feel that people should know why 1.) I'm so negative when the team loses and 2.) That I'm not just some crazy person lol. I feel the same way about Alex Anthopulous (the Braves GM in baseball) as you do about Chris Ballard for the Colts. I have full faith in him and have the exact opposite personality when I currently watch baseball. Honestly, I just want to get into the playoffs every year and give ourselves a chance to win a championship. I don't expect to be the best every year. Give me the sweat of being in the playoffs. I got that with the Braves and got a WS win, got it with the Nuggets and Avalanche and they won their championships.    I make a joke with my friends that I sold my chance to win a SB down the toilet to win a championship in baseball, basketball, and hockey. Football is my favorite sport, so it's like that sacrifice "you can win in everything else but the sport you truly love" lol.    I know I'm a bit overbearing at times, but I'm a great person to be around when the team is winning. I truly want to win more than most, and I just want what's best for the team. Making the playoffs would make me happy most years as it's a major step forward and I guess it set me off last year when I raised my expectations at the end of the year based on how the year went. 
  • Members

    • SSColts

      SSColts 74

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • jblastick

      jblastick 97

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Fingers

      Fingers 0

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Pat Curtis

      Pat Curtis 91

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • csmopar

      csmopar 15,651

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • G8R

      G8R 43

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Restinpeacesweetchloe

      Restinpeacesweetchloe 41,427

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Reboot

      Reboot 42

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • erock

      erock 3

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • JMichael557

      JMichael557 467

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...