Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

With the 13th pick in 2020 NFL Draft (merge)

44 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Take a look at Carr's QB chart for the season. One of the better in the league.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/player/season/derek-carr/CAR358797/2019/season/qb-grid

he's also 10th in QBR, and that's with a crappy supporting cast.

IMO, Gruden would be stupid to move on from him after that contract extension he signed. Trying to move that contract would also be very hard if you're also asking for draft capital to go with it.

His contract wouldn't be problem at all. Oakland would only have a 5M dead cap hit next year and the new team would assume the next 3 years of base salary of ~19.5M which isn't bad at all for him.

47 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

I would keep away from Carr, he's just a hair above JB with his little dinker.  Get a mobile and accurate QB, Love, or Fromm.  Don't trade the farm for Carr!!

Carr a hair above JB? Just about every stat out there would disagree, and many strongly. Fromm is the one you should steer away from if anyone. His ceiling is about as low as any QB in the draft this year. Unless he does a Brady, he's a long shot.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

His contract wouldn't be problem at all. Oakland would only have a 5M dead cap hit next year and the new team would assume the next 3 years of base salary of ~19.5M which isn't bad at all for him.

His contract itself is not an issue (for us). It's the contract plus the draft capital that they may want.

I'd guess if they do try to move him, they'll do it quickly. 2.9M becomes guaranteed early Feb2020. The Raiders also have a ton of FAs in 2020 as well.

7 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

His contract itself is not an issue (for us). It's the contract plus the draft capital that they may want.

I'd guess if they do try to move him, they'll do it quickly. 2.9M becomes guaranteed early Feb2020. The Raiders also have a ton of FAs in 2020 as well.

That's great.  I didn't know that detail.  To me that's the perfect situation for us.  The sooner the better if it's going to happen.  

With Carr’s quick release Hines and Campbell would be lethal. Even TY. They would create so much Yac with that quick release. He has a 70% completion rate. I would not give up more then a 3rd for him though. Truth is I would want to see the draft first. I would rather have one that is young and can grow with this team. I don’t think they will trade him before the draft. That would be dumb.  To trade him before they know if they have a new one. 

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

With Carr’s quick release Hines and Campbell would be lethal. Even TY. They would create so much Yac with that quick release. He has a 70% completion rate. I would not give up more then a 3rd for him though. Truth is I would want to see the draft first. I would rather have one that is young and can grow with this team. I don’t think they will trade him before the draft. That would be dumb.  To trade him before they know if they have a new one. 

I think they use the pick they receive to move up to get the guy they want.  They are already at 12.  You would not give up a 3rd but someone will.  Hopefully the Colts.  

31 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

What would you give up for him? 

14 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think they use the pick they receive to move up to get the guy they want.  They are already at 12.  You would not give up a 3rd but someone will.  Hopefully the Colts.  

I would give up a third but nothing more. Yes they could move up before the draft.

Wonder if we could move up before the draft?

On 12/29/2019 at 7:28 PM, indyagent17 said:

The Colts take_______

We should be in good discussion for getting one of the best quarterbacks. If we are the 11th pick it wouldn't take a whole lot to move to 8. The good news there will be a solid quarterback available at that time. I guess we'll see how it works out because this season was a complete wreck from the Pittsburgh game on

From the Denver game on actually somehow we still won that game but it didn't get better from there.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

it will take more than a 3rd. 

and they have two 1st round picks. 

in other words, they will have plenty of draft capital to move up and get who they want. 

once they draft a guy, everyone knows they are trying to unload Carr, so they lose a bit of bargaining power.

50 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

What would you give up for him? 

Since they have him locked up for several years, guessing they would at least ask for a 1st round pick. I'd probably try to trade both our 2nds instead of our first. If it took our 1st, I'd use the two 2nds to perhaps get back into the first and take a DT. There will be plenty of WRs (if that's what they want) still available in the 3rd.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

it will take more than a 3rd. 

and they have two 1st round picks. 

in other words, they will have plenty of draft capital to move up and get who they want. 

once they draft a guy, everyone knows they are trying to unload Carr, so they lose a bit of bargaining power.

Still have to have a trade partner. Unless they move up before the draft I don’t see them unloading Carr.  Plus them drafting a QB wouldn’t mean they trade him. They could sit a Qb got a year.  

I was listening to stampede blue afternoon pancakes. They went through what could be the first 13 picks. They think chargers will draft a OT and resign rivers. They actually think both Herbert and Love could be there for the colts. They don’t think the panthers take a QB Either. They said Oakland might take Herbert because he is a west coast kid. But really thinks they take defense. 

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Still have to have a trade partner. Unless they move up before the draft I don’t see them unloading Carr.  Plus them drafting a QB wouldn’t mean they trade him. They could sit a Qb got a year.  

I was listening to stampede blue afternoon pancakes. They went through what could be the first 13 picks. They think chargers will draft a OT and resign rivers. They actually think both Herbert and Love could be there for the colts. They don’t think the panthers take a QB Either. They said Oakland might take Herbert because he is a west coast kid. But really thinks they take defense. 

LAC will take Herbert or Tua if available IMO. Oakland needs a lot of other things, a lot more than they need a QB. Carolina is a toss up. Depends on what the new coach will want to do.

Love will be available, Herbert will likely not.

11 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

I would keep away from Carr, he's just a hair above JB with his little dinker.  Get a mobile and accurate QB, Love, or Fromm.  Don't trade the farm for Carr!!

You haven't even bothered to look at Carrs numbers are you wouldn't be making a comment that has no merit such as this one. 

EasyStreet just laid it out for all to see but  

1-you didn't read it.

2-you didn't understand it after reading it.

3-you have no clue on the talent level of Carr. 

11 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

i think they would ask for a lot and the colts would pass.  doesnt make sense for them to trade a pretty good starting qb with experience when they dont have another in the wings 

15 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i dont see why the raiders would want to trade carr that badly

do they really love someone in the draft?  maybe we should just draft them and leave them with carr

Gruden always likes to run through QB. There is speculation that they want a fresh face for the move to Vegas. Their defense is so bad though they would be stupid to take one in the first round.

Some WR comments from that stampede blue podcast. They said they don’t like Judy. They feel he stands around to much. They mentioned T Higgins getting shut down by nfl caliber CB in the Ohio state game. Lamb is clearly the best WR because hurts does not throw the ball well so he is clearly really good.  They compared lamb to Hopkins.

Not sure this was ever posted. Jordan Loves scouting profile. That story at the end of this about him wanting to be great is worth the read.

All credit goes to thedraftnetwork for this in depth scouting report:

"Arm Accuracy - Natural placement and accuracy is really impressive to all levels of the field and shows ability to throw with accuracy from different arm slots. Will throw short game away from 2nd level defenders. Consistency can wane but as a byproduct of mechanics. Some eye popping throws. 

Decision Making - Seems to predetermine some throws thanks to favorable pre-snap reads. Turnovers became problematic in 2019 as a byproduct of looking for big plays. Was forced to throw a lot of tight window balls due to separation issues throughout 2019 season.

Progressions - He'll use the full field of play and his flashes of eye manipulation are really nice. That said, too often he'll key on his first read and guide defenders to the ball. He thrives with stacked reads or working the ISO receiver. Most mistakes come vs. murky middle of the field zones. 

Anticipation - Some of his spot throws are just absolutely delightful — laces balls to hit targets in stride. Anticipates defenders breaking as well and will work to throw away from receivers. He does a pretty nice job of identifying pressure opportunities to throw hot. 

Poise - Thrives often in the off script plays. Has a knack for extended plays and often hits big shots down the field after stretching and stressing the defense with his feet. Forced to work in tight window throws and develop no fear testing tight man coverage during time at USU. 

Arm Strength - He's got a cannon — can easily push the ball when he's throwing into tight window throws and zip ball into tight spaces. His deep outs and back shoulder throws to far side of the field arrive with pace. All throws are available to him thanks to power he gets on the ball. 

Pocket Awareness - He's got a nice feel for collapsing pocket and has plenty of short area quickness to step up or flush out gaps. He rarely works himself into trouble within the pocket and likes to roll out once he feels pressure manifesting. Willing to climb the ladder vs. outside pressure.  

Mechanics - Will rely too much on his arm to get the job done and as a result he'll float throws without adequate transfer. It's an easy fix but a bad habit. When he's dialed in, he's picturesque with his throwing motion and form when surveying the pocket and working through reads. 

Footwork - His lower half can go stale on him and further expand on accuracy consistency and lack of regular results to drive the ball. That said, he's clean in his drops, light on his feet and makes effort to reset his base as he works across the field of play to scan through progressions. 

Mobility - He's a legit two way threat who has seen some running packages built into game plans. He's got great speed for his size and runs tough to punish smaller defenders. Will beat the blitz and tear up man coverage if he's able to break contain of the pocket.  

---

Best Trait - Arm Strength

Worst Trait - Decision Making

Best Film - San Jose State (2018)

Worst Film - LSU (2019)

Red Flags - None

Player Summary - Jordan Love has franchise quarterback qualities and should be regarded as a prospect with a Pro Bowl ceiling. Love's statistical regression in 2019 isn't indicative of a regression in skills or decision making — was a victim of poor supporting cast in many instances. Love will need patience and must go to a team with coaching staff able to nurture, develop and cater passing schemes to where he thrives. He isn't plug and play but he's a potential game changing QB. "

Basically, the blowback in this sub is "y tHE inT RaTiO nOt sO gUd". To counter this argument, I'll wager that a lot of the same fans would have defended a lot of Andrew Luck's picks on trying to carry a cruddy team on his back. Love had to try and do that this whole season and therefore threw more picks. It's not rocket science. Could he have made better decisions? Sure, yes he's far from a finished product but give me him paired with Frank Reich and he'll pass Jacoby by midseason 2020. 

For those that don't know Jordan Love as a person, I highly suggest reading this story: https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2018/11/01/monson-utah-states-jordan/. His character and desire to dive completely into becoming the best QB he can be is the reason I think he'll be great wherever he ends up.

S

• Like 1

Good story on how Herbert has grown as a leader. The part where he told his teammates dropping passes was unacceptable is great. 

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2020/01/as-his-takes-the-biggest-stage-of-his-storied-oregon-ducks-career-justin-herbert-reflects-on-how-he-improved-during-senior-season.html?outputType=amp

Just a thought.  I am not a Kelly fan because I really know nothing bout him.  Do u think that mayb the Colts see him as the possible future?  Keeping him the roster for a couple of years and allowing him to mature.  Jacoby starts next year and Kelly continues to learn.  I really don't know if there is a qb in the draft that is more physically talented than Kelly.  Kelly's major issue was with his character.  This qb class seems very under  whelming. 

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Just a thought.  I am not a Kelly fan because I really know nothing bout him.  Do u think that mayb the Colts see him as the possible future?  Keeping him the roster for a couple of years and allowing him to mature.  Jacoby starts next year and Kelly continues to learn.  I really don't know if there is a qb in the draft that is more physically talented than Kelly.  Kelly's major issue was with his character.  This qb class seems very under  whelming. 

Only reason it seems underwhelming is colt fans are used to the number one pick and generational talents. We don’t need that in a QB. We just need a very good one. We lucked out twice to get that first pick.  Love I think is a pretty good athlete. From the article above seems like he has a good football IQ also. Herbert is very smart and mature and is probably ready to start right away. 

Regarding Carr, I would trade our 1st round pick for him being that it is at #13 and roll with him if the Raiders want to dump him. He is entering his prime at 28 and healthy. He has never been an elite QB or big and strong like Luck was but he is good IMO. Better than JB. We would still have 2 2nd round picks to pick a DT and and WR with. In Free Agency maybe we can add depth to our O.Line as well.

• Like 1

Just listening to the new PFF podcast. They have the colts taking Higgins to fill what they wanted in Funchess. Personally I think we should bring Funchess back and look more at a TY replacement. We need speed. Then they think Love will be there at 34 for us to take. With the saints and pats needing future QB I do not deem him lasting to 34. They also think 13 is to high to take Herbert.

On 12/29/2019 at 7:50 PM, Imgrandojji said:

I think it would be a mistake to go hell for leather for a QB in the first round.  None of the guys on the board in round 1 really impress me, and we have an even more pressing need at WR right now.  I'd rather go for a first round wideout and a second round QB, there's usually gonna be some decent talents that don't go in round 1.

I really think he could be a great option and paired with TY, would a dangerous combo

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I wouldn't touch Tua with a 10 foot pole. Too many injuries and a hip injury is serious, so are lower leg injuries. He will be lucky to last 5 years in the NFL. 

The fact ballard wouldn’t touch sweat last year I do not see him taking a risk on TUA. TUA can get insurance through Alabama. He really should go back to school to probe he is healthy. Even if he doesn’t play at least he would be healthy for the combine in 2021. There is also the chance of a work stoppage so that could be a big risk.

8 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Just listening to the new PFF podcast. They have the colts taking Higgins to fill what they wanted in Funchess. Personally I think we should bring Funchess back and look more at a TY replacement. We need speed. Then they think Love will be there at 34 for us to take. With the saints and pats needing future QB I do not deem him lasting to 34. They also think 13 is to high to take Herbert.

We have speed in TY and Parris Campbell. We need good health and good smart WRs that know how to get open and have reliable hands. Deebo Samuel was not the fastest guy but he knew how to get open, no wonder he is successful with the 49ers. He was a guy I wanted us to draft. 

Deebo Samuel, A J Brown, both could have been had and would have done well with us. Just goes to show me that Ballard's vision revolves around a TOP 5 defensive unit with smart WRs that can get open and make plays. Right now, the only thing missing is free agency supplementation.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Some WR comments from that stampede blue podcast. They said they don’t like Judy. They feel he stands around to much. They mentioned T Higgins getting shut down by nfl caliber CB in the Ohio state game. Lamb is clearly the best WR because hurts does not throw the ball well so he is clearly really good.  They compared lamb to Hopkins.

Jeudy just put up 200+ yards in the Citrus Bowl. Colts won’t get the chance to draft him.

I am really impressed by Tyler Johnson from MINN...seems like a great 2nd round target. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

If Tua goes back to school I don't really see a way Love or Herbert falls to us at 13.  Too many QB hungry teams.  Ballard is going to have some big decisions to make.  

If love and herbert are gone, i see them going BPA and taking someone like Jalen Hurts or Jacob Easen later to compete and maybe play behind JB to start the year. I know not everyone's favorite option but would not surprise me 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jeremy Waldon said:

If love and herbert are gone, i see them going BPA and taking someone like Jalen Hurts or Jacob Easen later to compete and maybe play behind JB to start the year. I know not everyone's favorite option but would not surprise me 

No hurts. The guy can’t throw the ball. People need to stop with the Jackson comparisons. What does it tell you when they continue to run it being down big. Eason I could see second round. Just don’t know a lot.

Some of these QB holes might be filled in FA.

9 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

If Tua goes back to school I don't really see a way Love or Herbert falls to us at 13.  Too many QB hungry teams.  Ballard is going to have some big decisions to make.  

Even if he goes to the draft teams could still pass on him. Today at the AL game he was there participating in things on a crutch. What’s interesting is the dolphins owner was seen talking to the AL OC.