Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

With the 13th pick in 2020 NFL Draft (merge)

Teams will reach for a QB and DE, they always do. Love and Eason are NOT first round picks, I saw a lot of both and Love is a 2nd rounder at best, Eason is a 3rd or 4th. But if Tua goes back to Bama teams will panic after Hubert is taken.

4 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

Teams will reach for a QB and DE, they always do. Love and Eason are NOT first round picks, I saw a lot of both and Love is a 2nd rounder at best, Eason is a 3rd or 4th. But if Tua goes back to Bama teams will panic after Hubert is taken.

The only reason everyone wants to say 2nd round is his school and the year he had with no talent and losing his coach. All his measurables say first round. Things I am reading also are talking about him submerging himself in football wanting to get better. 

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

Only reason it seems underwhelming is colt fans are used to the number one pick and generational talents. We don’t need that in a QB. We just need a very good one. We lucked out twice to get that first pick.  Love I think is a pretty good athlete. From the article above seems like he has a good football IQ also. Herbert is very smart and mature and is probably ready to start right away. 

Agree.  However,the two qbs u mentioned r way more athletic than Brissett, but they also have many of the same flaws as Brissett.  Lock onto receivers, inability to progress thru their reads.  I am not up for another project.  I beleive behind close doors, the coaches and FO know that Brissett is flawed.  If they want to proceed with him as their franchise guy, they will need a lot more help.  Their defense is deeply flawed.  Special teams had its issues and receivers cannot stay healthy and/or drop passes. U might win a championship with Brissett if u have the same offensive line intact; top 3 D and draft all Alabama's reciever declaring for the 2020 draft. I am being sarcastic on the last point but it would b nice hahah. I think the  2020 draft and free agency is going to define this team for years to come.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Agree.  However,the two qbs u mentioned r way more athletic than Brissett, but they also have many of the same flaws as Brissett.  Lock onto receivers, inability to progress thru their reads.  I am not up for another project.  I beleive behind close doors, the coaches and FO know that Brissett is flawed.  If they want to proceed with him as their franchise guy, they will need a lot more help.  Their defense is deeply flawed.  Special teams had its issues and receivers cannot stay healthy and/or drop passes. U might win a championship with Brissett if u have the same offensive line intact; top 3 D and draft all Alabama's reciever declaring for the 2020 draft. I am being sarcastic on the last point but it would b nice hahah. I think the  2020 draft and free agency is going to define this team for years to come.

Mahomes had some of the same things said about him. I am not worried. Mahomes sat a year so he was even a project. Lamar only started because Flacco got hurt his first year. Everyone needs to stop just because someone isn’t the first pick doesnt mean they are bad. Every college QB is going to have flaws they need to work on coming into the NFL. Even Manning had flaws.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Mahomes had some of the same things said about him. I am not worried. Mahomes sat a year so he was even a project. Lamar only started because Flacco got hurt his first year. Everyone needs to stop just because someone isn’t the first pick doesnt mean they are bad. Every college QB is going to have flaws they need to work on coming into the NFL. Even Manning had flaws.

I think Brissett is a hell of a guy. That being said, u made a point that u can win with a very good qb  if your team is constructed in the right manner.  The problem I have with Brissett is that their r games through out the  year that u will need your qb to win.  I don't think he can do that based on what he has produced  in  over 30 games as the Colts qb.  I don't see the Colts winning a super bowl unless we have the 85 Bears D and pro bowlers at the skill positions on offence.  Even if Ballard was a able to hit on all his picks, thay roster would not b sustainable because of the cap.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Plus, Jacoby's college profile did indicate he didn't push things down the field, and was afraid to take chances. Jordan Love's strength is pushing it up field, so much that he doesn't take enough check downs. I know of a certain QB that didn't take check downs for the longest time aka The Sheriff. With good QB coaching that I am certain he will receive with Reich and his staff, the upside of the talent is definitely better than what JB's was, coming out of the draft.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Too much risk to go back IMO.  What if he gets injured again?  The NFL loves the guy.  Someone will take him early no doubt.  

strike the iron while it’s hot. He’s a top 10-15 pick which makes him an instant millionaire. Going back to school risks him working a 9-5 job for 40 years to make pennies compared to what could have been.

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

No hurts. The guy can’t throw the ball. People need to stop with the Jackson comparisons. What does it tell you when they continue to run it being down big. Eason I could see second round. Just don’t know a lot.

Some of these QB holes might be filled in FA.

I would not prefer Hurts, only mentioned because some seem to like him and thinks he would fit our system. Eason i have seen where he seems really good short to mid level throws but isn't consistent deep due to his not using his lower half in his throwing motion consistently( which i beleive could be fixed with coaching)

• Like 1

On 12/30/2019 at 8:57 AM, ColtJax said:

He WAS a number 1, he's a very good #2 now. Age takes away from everyone, and it's taking away from him. We should have taken DK Metcalf last year, he looks like a potential #1 to me..

I keep seeing this, and while he looked good this year, he was anything but a sure bet.  Saying we should have taken him round one is a bit of a stretch.  We didn't know we'd lose our first four or five wr all at once for extended time ... We thought we had more than a warm body under center.... We thought Luck was our starting QB, and he had less need for stud wrs... There's no way you can say we shoulda..... Woulda.... Coulda.... Plenty doubted Metcalf.  He had every warning sign of being Mike mamula  or Brian bosworth at wr.

4 minutes ago, Jeremy Waldon said:

I would not prefer Hurts, only mentioned because some seem to like him and thinks he would fit our system. Eason i have seen where he seems really good short to mid level throws but isn't consistent deep due to his not using his lower half in his throwing motion consistently( which i beleive could be fixed with coaching)

Hurts would fit our system?  Sure....at tight end maybe.

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I think Brissett is a hell of a guy. That being said, u made a point that u can win with a very good qb  if your team is constructed in the right manner.  The problem I have with Brissett is that their r games through out the  year that u will need your qb to win.  I don't think he can do that based on what he has produced  in  over 30 games as the Colts qb.  I don't see the Colts winning a super bowl unless we have the 85 Bears D and pro bowlers at the skill positions on offence.  Even if Ballard was a able to hit on all his picks, thay roster would not b sustainable because of the cap.  

I wasn’t talking about Brissett. I was talking about any guy we draft will have flaws that need fixed.

59 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

What's everone's opinion on the wisconson RB Taylor? Seems pretty talented.

The opinion is that he's one of, if not the best RB in the class, and that's saying quite a bit because this class of RB's is talented and deep. 

Personally, I think he's the best pure runner in the class, reminds me a lot of Lev Bell at Michigan State. He has that patience for things to develop and seems to find holes that shouldn't be there. JT is faster than Lev but Lev is a better pass catcher, even tho JT23 has shown major improvement this year in that area. 

I'd put Jonathan Taylor, D'Andre Swift, and Travis Etienne in their own tier, the really elite guys. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Cannot recall, but he basically doesn't block down field

Well, I know he's like 195 right now, but he's 6'1 with a solid frame so I'd assume he will play closer to 205 in the NFL. That's something that can be taught, all of his other intangibles (the ones that make him elite) can't be taught. He's the most athletically gifted WR since Amari imo, and a ton of others. McShay says he's the best WR he's ever scouted, same with Daniel Jeremiah. Dude is gonna be a HOFer.

56 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Well, I know he's like 195 right now, but he's 6'1 with a solid frame so I'd assume he will play closer to 205 in the NFL. That's something that can be taught, all of his other intangibles (the ones that make him elite) can't be taught. He's the most athletically gifted WR since Amari imo, and a ton of others. McShay says he's the best WR he's ever scouted, same with Daniel Jeremiah. Dude is gonna be a HOFer.

He won't be there when we pick especially with the success of Bama receivers in the NFL.

15 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am on record agreeing that we need an upgrade from JB but some people on here are really in panic mode and just want to pick anyone just to be picking someone because they want JB out. We need to pick the right person remember that folks.

I think that this is a great point.  Listening to Ballards press conference, he definitely won't reach for a QB. 

• Like 2

Who would trade for Carr? We might, but then again how do we value him? If he's worth a 1st from us he's worth a 1st from the Raiders that are in a "win now" mentality, no way do they part with him then. But if they think he's regressed, they would just look for a buyer, a 3rd might get him. I wouldn't be surprised if the Raiders don't try to get Winston, Gruden loves him and I have no doubt thinks he can "fix" him..

The Titans showed that some of theses wash outs can still play, maybe Marcus Mariota would be worth a look..

The Colts really wanted a top interior defensive lineman last draft and missed out.  They are in prime position to land one of the top three DL and still walk away with a quality QB early in Round 2.  Luck retired but still a chance he comes back after having a year to heal.  Still like to see the Colts heavily pursue Arik Armstead in FA. 

18 minutes ago, OhioColt said:

The Colts really wanted a top interior defensive lineman last draft and missed out.  They are in prime position to land one of the top three DL and still walk away with a quality QB early in Round 2.  Luck retired but still a chance he comes back after having a year to heal.  Still like to see the Colts heavily pursue Arik Armstead in FA. 

Who would be the quality QB in the second round. I doubt love will be there. Eason maybe but there is a lot of questions about his work ethic. Somebody should make a list of QB in the draft that aren’t the five or six we know about. 

Ir will be interesting if there is a DT there and A QB. What happens if they love both and have first round grades on them. I think QB at that point is most important. Especially if they truly are in love with that guy. This is why I am hoping we can get a DT in FA so we don’t have to make that decision.

On 1/2/2020 at 6:44 AM, Moosejawcolt said:

Cannot recall, but he basically doesn't block down field

On 1/2/2020 at 6:30 AM, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Where did you hear that? Just curious, cuz I've read tons of info and don't recall seeing anything about that. 

According to several of these draft profilers.... he’s actually a very good blocker.....

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/jerry-jeudy/XfmKSBZBcU

Harris - “He is a willing stalk blocker and will chase down defenders when others have the football.“

Tuls - “Gives great effort as a blocker and stays engaged. Technique is generally sound when blocking in terms of collapsing, fitting his hands, extending, playing with leverage and keeping his feet involved. “

4 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Who would be the quality QB in the second round. I doubt love will be there. Eason maybe but there is a lot of questions about his work ethic. Somebody should make a list of QB in the draft that aren’t the five or six we know about. 

Ir will be interesting if there is a DT there and A QB. What happens if they love both and have first round grades on them. I think QB at that point is most important. Especially if they truly are in love with that guy. This is why I am hoping we can get a DT in FA so we don’t have to make that decision.

Jalen Hurts-Oklahoma 

Nate Stanley- Iowa

Anthony Gordon- Wazzu- My Favorite

Kelly Bryant- Mizzou

Kellen Mond- Texas A&M

Tyler Huntley-Utah

1 hour ago, pacolts56 said:

According to several of these draft profilers.... he’s actually a very good blocker.....

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/jerry-jeudy/XfmKSBZBcU

Harris - “He is a willing stalk blocker and will chase down defenders when others have the football.“

Tuls - “Gives great effort as a blocker and stays engaged. Technique is generally sound when blocking in terms of collapsing, fitting his hands, extending, playing with leverage and keeping his feet involved. “

Moosejaw said it and he's never wrong so dispense with the experts talk.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2020 at 4:38 PM, Chloe6124 said:

The only reason everyone wants to say 2nd round is his school and the year he had with no talent and losing his coach. All his measurables say first round. Things I am reading also are talking about him submerging himself in football wanting to get better. 

Mr one read QB always threw it to his number one receiver if he is either open or not.  Heck look at the bowl game he SUCKED

47 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Well that stinks.  If Dez likes Love's attitude, then I don't like Love.

Where there is smoke, there's fire.  Just the smoke is telling.

Pass on Love now.

Dez Bryant says he likes his attitude, with no specifics about what he likes (maybe he likes his leadership style or how he holds himself) and somehow that alone makes Love undraftable in your eyes?

If he has a bad attitude, it'll come out in the predraft process. Just stop the dramatic nonsense.

If you don't like Love as a prospect, you just don't like him, but don't act like some off-hand comment by a player you perceive as bad news suddenly shatters your perception of Love. If you like him, you like him and if you don't, you don't.