Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Frank Reich I'm calling you out!

NannyMcafee

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

He's definitely capable, he just doesn't want too, which is aggravating since it limits our playbook. At least be creative with the short game which we aren't doing.

If it's obviously open, he'll do it. And right now it's obviously open. But we also need guys who can stretch the field vertically. Having both TY and Campbell out stings. Maybe we should bring Deon Cain back and use him as a deep threat. Or something. Rodgers is our only legit deep threat right now.

• Like 1

Or...maybe people have just set way too high of expectations for Reich. I like Reich...but outside of 2017...this is who he has been...an above average offensive coach whose offenses will struggle at times. And he’s had plenty of talent to work with...at QB and the skill positions.

This year...he hasn’t really had that talent...and the cracks start to show more.

1 minute ago, BigQungus said:

If it's obviously open, he'll do it. And right now it's obviously open. But we also need guys who can stretch the field vertically. Having both TY and Campbell out stings. Maybe we should bring Deon Cain back and use him as a deep threat. Or something. Rodgers is our only legit deep threat right now.

I would of preferred Josh Gordon off waivers, and we would of got him ahead of the Seahawks if Ballard chose too. I do hope we get Cain back though.

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I would of preferred Josh Gordon off waivers, and we would of got him ahead of the Seahawks if Ballard chose too. I do hope we get Cain back though.

He is a headache, but right now we need him badly. I definitely would've been ok with us grabbing him back then, and I definitely wish we grabbed him now with hindsight.

Oh well...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

The last 3 games you have failed to motivate your players. The last 3 games you have failed to adjust to the loss of TY Hilton. And for this entire year, you have failed to scheme for the strengths of this offense! 

I remember more than one presser from you, Reich, where you talked about how fun it would be to scheme players like Cambell! I remember you saying things like "how many weapons this team has". 

Well, scheme the damn players Reich! You have a top 20 QB remember saying that Reich? I sure as heck remember you saying that more than once. And a top 20 QB can throw the damn ball more than 15 yards! I also remember you saying that you have all the faith in the world in your QB Jacoby Brissett, and yet, you never have him throw it more than 15 yards to anyone but Pascal or TY. 

So far this year, I am losing faith in your ability to include multiple players in the scheme that is down TY Hilton. 

Where is Doyle? 

Where is Ebron? 

Where is Hines? 

Where is Cambell? 

Can Mack not catch a cold? I wouldnt know because you never tell Brissett to throw it to him. So when hes in there, there is at least a 60% to 70% chance we are running the ball! Stop allowing us to be one dimensional! 

As far as I have seen, you have not changed your approach all year long, and I am extremely disappointed in you, and in your OC Nick! 

Why has Ebron checked out? Answer me that Frank! Or are you "behind" all of your under achieving players? 

If you continue like this for the rest of the year you have taken all the faith that your earned in 2018 and threw it down the trash chute! 

Heres to a great remainder of the season! As always, Go Colts! 

*rant off*

Your first paragraph is silliness. 
 I sure did enjoy that nice wall our QB had to pass behind in 2018.
And i enjoyed watching Q gator and Glow pounding people. My how that has changed. Dang that coach.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

And one other thing.  Why does Mack come out of the game after every decent run he has?  Is he taking himself out?  Is it Frank?  Does he get tired that fast?  What's the story?  Guys used to fight to stay in the game.  He runs right off and he's not even breathing hard.  I have to believe this is on Frank.  I would hope Mack would want to stay in the game and Frank is probably pulling him.  Either way it makes no sense.  Our best RB comes out after one good play.  Unbelievable. 

Mack has been tripping himself up way to often. He needs to play better.

I feel like a broken record, but Hines is a WR. It's way too (painfully) obvious when he's in the game, what's going to happen. He's either getting the ball thrown to him, or he's running up the middle for either a loss or up to 3 yards. 

Especially with our lack of WR help right now, line him up at WR already! 

Also, try throwing to Mack more than once a game for crying out loud. 

Mack needs to quit dancing back there and just hit the jets as soon as he gets the ball when running up the middle as well. The holes that used to be there, aren't there anymore for whatever reason. When he runs to the outside it only works when a guard or center is pulling and he waits for them to block. Maddening to watch. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LuckyHorseShoe§ said:

I disagree with the Texans game. For the most part, we contained their offense. Sure they put up points, but that’s inevitable with Watson. Go back and look at how many drives of theirs we stopped, it’s actually unprecedented compared to their other games.

Also, if you want the next Luck, we’ll need to start begging Miami, Cincy, or NYJ to give us their first-rounder

ballard would probably trade it down for several more low picks

Not having a reliable #2 RB is also starting to become a bigger problem.

I love Mack, but he seems to tap out every drive for a breather. He's getting beat up/worn down it seems.

I've also wondered why they rarely use Mack in the dumpoff/passing game. 

Listen.  U want some insight to why this offence struggled??  Listen to Lombardi who I enjoy and respect.  They r playing with a 3rd string qb and this O has no juice....no speed and teams r glued to the wrs.  That's not on Reich.....thats on Ballard.  He constructs the roster.  He has  been given a free ride from this board.  At the trade deadline, I was banging the table for a play makers at the wr position.  With ty's injury it was so obvious we needed a wr. I actually picked the Steelers and Miami to win.  We have upteen picks and tons of cap space, but  Ballard loves his picks.  Good for him and none of his 2nd rounders r looking like keepers  at this time.   People will say Leonard and yes he had a good game yesterday, but he has underwhelmed all year. The last 2 losses have basically put the nail in the Colts play off chances.  The schedule is brutal and they will b lucky to finish at 8 and 8

3 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Listen.  U want some insight to why this offence struggled??  Listen to Lombardi who I enjoy and respect.  They r playing with a 3rd string qb and this O has no juice....no speed and teams r glued to the wrs.  That's not on Reich.....thats on Ballard.  He constructs the roster.  He has  been given a free ride from this board.  At the trade deadline, I was banging the table for a play makers at the wr position.  With ty's injury it was so obvious we needed a wr. I actually picked the Steelers and Miami to win.  We have upteen picks and tons of cap space, but  Ballard loves his picks.  Good for him and none of his 2nd rounders r looking like keepers  at this time.   People will say Leonard and yes he had a good game yesterday, but he has underwhelmed all year. The last 2 losses have basically put the nail in the Colts play off chances.  The schedule is brutal and they will b lucky to finish at 8 and 8

TY got injured after the deadline, not before.

And the door isn't completely shut regarding the playoffs. Far from it. But yes, things look bad

10 minutes ago, BigQungus said:

TY got injured after the deadline, not before.

And the door isn't completely shut regarding the playoffs. Far from it. But yes, things look bad

Agreed, he got hurt after the deadline. I was calling for wr help all year. It was so evident in the games when teams shut down ty, we had no other play makers. I am just not sold on Ballard.  He has been annoited by the media and fans to quickly.

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Agreed, he got hurt after the deadline. I was calling for wr help all year. It was so evident in the games when teams shut down ty, we had no other play makers. I am just not sold on Ballard.  He has been annoited by the media and fans to quickly.

lol

3 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

The last 3 games you have failed to motivate your players. The last 3 games you have failed to adjust to the loss of TY Hilton. And for this entire year, you have failed to scheme for the strengths of this offense! 

I remember more than one presser from you, Reich, where you talked about how fun it would be to scheme players like Cambell! I remember you saying things like "how many weapons this team has". 

Well, scheme the damn players Reich! You have a top 20 QB remember saying that Reich? I sure as heck remember you saying that more than once. And a top 20 QB can throw the damn ball more than 15 yards! I also remember you saying that you have all the faith in the world in your QB Jacoby Brissett, and yet, you never have him throw it more than 15 yards to anyone but Pascal or TY. 

So far this year, I am losing faith in your ability to include multiple players in the scheme that is down TY Hilton. 

Where is Doyle? 

Where is Ebron? 

Where is Hines? 

Where is Cambell? 

Can Mack not catch a cold? I wouldnt know because you never tell Brissett to throw it to him. So when hes in there, there is at least a 60% to 70% chance we are running the ball! Stop allowing us to be one dimensional! 

As far as I have seen, you have not changed your approach all year long, and I am extremely disappointed in you, and in your OC Nick! 

Why has Ebron checked out? Answer me that Frank! Or are you "behind" all of your under achieving players? 

If you continue like this for the rest of the year you have taken all the faith that your earned in 2018 and threw it down the trash chute! 

*rant off*

Frank Reicht cannot catch footballs in the endzone,

The head coach cannot make FGs that are within range,

The head coach cannot not throw pick 6s to the opposing team.

Frank Reicht can manage the clock better, but if your team has failed in more ways than 1, you are only allowed 3 timeouts per half, and if the Defense cannot stop the opponent from reaching the 1st down, then having 3 timeouts are useless just like this thread.

2 hours ago, BigQungus said:

And therefore your plan is to have Hoyer pass the ball to Pascal, Rodgers, and Marcus Johnson?

I don't think it was bad gameplanning. Our offensive gameplan was to run the ball. And it worked. What went wrong was that once they stack the box, Hoyer can't throw it for more than 3 yards, and decides that he should chuck it to the end zone every play on that last drive instead of dumping it off to Hines. Oh, and Ebron caught the ball in the end zone and let a DB rip it away from him for an INT. They scored a FG off of that. That's a 10 point swing. Then Vinny missed a XP, forcing us to go for a TD at the end of a game instead of kicking a FG. Potential 4 point swing.

There comes a point where the players have to execute. That loss was on the players, specifically Hoyer, Ebron, and Vinny

What does Brissett have to do with anything

Have you notice they keep bringing up Brissett?You can ask what the weather is like in Cairo Egypt and multiple people will bring up his name in a negative light....UPDATE:its 77 in Cairo right now...I wish Brissets qb rating was that high.

3 hours ago, ColtsLegacy said:

I did ask you, that's why it's in your thread. You mentioned Brissett a bunch in your OP for your problems having nothing to do with him...

I see you decided to edit your post after I responded. I mentioned Brissett one time in my OP which was actually quoting Frank Reich. So really he mentioned JB. Maybe you should read before making claims. 

1 minute ago, Rackeen305 said:

Frank Reicht cannot catch footballs in the endzone,

The head coach cannot make FGs that are within range,

The head coach cannot not throw pick 6s to the opposing team.

Frank Reicht can manage the clock better, but if your team has failed in more ways than 1, you are only allowed 3 timeouts per half, and if the Defense cannot stop the opponent from reaching the 1st down, then having 3 timeouts are useless just like this thread.

the head coach controls the discipline in which his players perform. let me guess you wanted to keep pagano when our players sucked week in and week out and you blamed it on the players then just like you are now. 

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

Or...maybe people have just set way too high of expectations for Reich. I like Reich...but outside of 2017...this is who he has been...an above average offensive coach whose offenses will struggle at times. And he’s had plenty of talent to work with...at QB and the skill positions.

This year...he hasn’t really had that talent...and the cracks start to show more.

There is nothing wrong with Reich. Philip Rivers had the best years of his carreer under him, Carlson Wentz had an MVP season, and he made Nick Foles SB MVP. This year he made Jaboby look almost like a franchise QB so far. I still believe he is good, we're fortunate to have him.

I don't always like his play calling of course. But who does? :) There is NO coach in the NFL whos play calling is 100% perfect for me. I need to remind myself time to time, that Reich is not trying to play pretty football. He's trying to win games. If playing ugly, then playing ugly. So far he is doing exactly like that. I've yet to see a game where I could primarily blame game planning, play calling or game management for a loss. There is none. Every loss we had (except maybe the Raiders loss) was because the players committed too many mistakes. Dropped balls, turnovers, missed field goals, extra points, etc. Cut half of those mistakes - which would still be "quite many" - and we could've be 8:1 instead 5:4. This team is not 8:1 good of course, but you get my point. Plus, nobody is perfect. Even the best coaches have off days. Just check yesterday games. Check what McVay has done - or could not done - in Pittsburgh or Sean Payton could do against the terrible Falcons defense ... with Drew Brees. Reich had to deal with Hoyer and Pascal, Rogers, Dulin and M. Johnson as top4 targets. He probably had to ignore 60-70% of the play book because these players either don't know it or cannot execute it. I don't blame Reich for this.

Note: Of course I know (and agree in case someone's underlining that), that the coaching stuff is responsible to teach players to play mistake-free, disciplined football. Teach them how to catch, how to separate, how to not fumble, etc. However, in this case I think it's more about lack of talent than bad coaching. Other than the oline and T.Y., there is no real game changer talent in the offense. There are some nice players, some of them just "reliable" like Doyle, some of them creates matchup problems like Ebron, some of them just overall "good" like Mack, and of them are just hard working guys with "OK" talent, but none of them a jump out talent. These guys are not good enough compared to the Julio Jones-es, Hopkinses, Evanses, Hills, Coopers, (McCaffreys, Zeke Elliotts, Kelces, etc.) This offense could've done well with Luck under center, but needs talent infusion next offseason to be more productive. Either at QB or at (maybe multiple) skill positions. (Maybe both.)

39 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Listen.  U want some insight to why this offence struggled??  Listen to Lombardi who I enjoy and respect.  They r playing with a 3rd string qb and this O has no juice....no speed and teams r glued to the wrs.  That's not on Reich.....thats on Ballard.  He constructs the roster.  He has  been given a free ride from this board. 

I'd agree with you if Luck didn't retire 1 week before the season. As a GM you spend your resources where you think it's the most rewarding. Before 2019 august, it was the defense, because this offense would be fine with Luck. Maybe not the best, maybe not top5, but just fine. You spend on an already very good offense, when you have an already very good defense.

Let's see next season. Now, it's obvious that the offense need talent infusion. If Ballard still ignores it, that'll be a new situation, and I'll be the fist to blame him for that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peterk2011 said:

There is nothing wrong with Reich. Philip Rivers had the best years of his carreer under him, Carlson Wentz had an MVP season, and he made Nick Foles SB MVP. This year he made Jaboby look almost like a franchise QB so far. Reich is good, we're fortunate we have him.

I don't always like his play calling, but we need to understand, that he is not trying to play pretty football, he's trying to win games. If playing ugly, then playing ugly. So far this season, I've yet to see a game where I could primarily blame game planning, play calling or game management for a loss. There is none. Every loss we had (except maybe the Raiders loss) was because the players committed too many mistakes. Dropped balls, turnovers, missed field goals, extra points, etc. Cut half of those mistakes - which would still be "quite many" - and we could've be 8:1 instead 5:4. This team is not 8:1 good of course, but you get my point. Plus, nobody is perfect. Even the best coaches have off days. Just check yesterday games. Check what McVay has done - or could not done - in Pittsburgh or Sean Payton could do against the terrible Falcons defense ... with Drew Brees. Reich had to deal with Hoyer and Pascal, Rogers, Dulin and M. Johnson as top4 targets. He probably had to ignore 60-70% of the play book because these players either don't know it or cannot execute it. I don't blame Reich for this.

Note: Of course I know (and agree in case someone's underlining that), that the coaching stuff is responsible to teach players to play mistake-free, disciplined football. Teach them how to catch, how to separate, how to not fumble, etc. However, in this case I think it's more about lack of talent than bad coaching. Other than the oline and T.Y., there is no real game changer talent in the offense. There are some nice players, some of them just "reliable" like Doyle, some of them creates matchup problems like Ebron, some of them just overall "good" like Mack, and of them are just hard working guys with "OK" talent, but none of them a jump out talent. These guys are not good enough compared to the Julio Jones-es, Hopkinses, Evanses, Hills, Coopers, (McCaffreys, Zeke Elliotts, Kelces, etc.) This offense could've done well with Luck under center, but needs talent infusion next offseason to be more productive. Either at QB or at (maybe multiple) skill positions. (Maybe both.)

talent has nothing to do with playing disciplined football. They just praised the dolphins HC for just such a thing. The dolphins are the least penalized team in the league right now, and at the same time have one of the least talented teams. Explain that and sound smart while you do it.

2 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

Where is Doyle? 

Where is Ebron? 

Where is Hines? 

Where is Cambell? 

*rant off*

And i enjoyed watching Q gator and Glow pounding people. My how that has changed. Dang that coach.

4 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

you said this an hour ago. When did I blame the woes of the online on Reich? Don’t put words in my mouth please. Thanks. Bye. 

2 hours ago, shastamasta said:

He lost  his franchise qb.  He took a 3rd round qb  to a 5 and 3 record. The lack of talent on the offensive side of the ball has reared its ugly head.  He lost 2 games back to back with Hoyer. Why should that be alarming!?! That being said, we lack play makers on the offense.

10 minutes ago, Peterk2011 said:

There is nothing wrong with Reich. Philip Rivers had the best years of his carreer under him, Carlson Wentz had an MVP season, and he made Nick Foles SB MVP. This year he made Jaboby look almost like a franchise QB so far. Reich is good, we're fortunate we have him.

I don't always like his play calling, but we need to understand, that he is not trying to play pretty football, he's trying to win games. If playing ugly, then playing ugly. So far this season, I've yet to see a game where I could primarily blame game planning, play calling or game management for a loss. There is none. Every loss we had (except maybe the Raiders loss) was because the players committed too many mistakes. Dropped balls, turnovers, missed field goals, extra points, etc. Cut half of those mistakes - which would still be "quite many" - and we could've be 8:1 instead 5:4. This team is not 8:1 good of course, but you get my point. Plus, nobody is perfect. Even the best coaches have off days. Just check yesterday games. Check what McVay has done - or could not done - in Pittsburgh or Sean Payton could do against the terrible Falcons defense ... with Drew Brees. Reich had to deal with Hoyer and Pascal, Rogers, Dulin and M. Johnson as top4 targets. He probably had to ignore 60-70% of the play book because these players either don't know it or cannot execute it. I don't blame Reich for this.

Rivers did not have his best seasons. And the SD run game was bottom tier.

I like Reich...and the Colts can win with him...I just never thought he was this elite HC that people built him up to be. 

30 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

I see you decided to edit your post after I responded. I mentioned Brissett one time in my OP which was actually quoting Frank Reich. So really he mentioned JB. Maybe you should read before making claims. 

Lmao. You're something else. I'm fairly sure I did not edit %, but whatever makes you feel better.

And I believe I see two mentions of Brissett and zero of Hoyer. No biggie.

edit: this was edited at 2:25 EST (!!!)

12 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

talent has nothing to do with playing disciplined football. They just praised the dolphins HC for just such a thing. The dolphins are the least penalized team in the league right now, and at the same time have one of the least talented teams. Explain that and sound smart while you do it.

The Niners are the least penalized team in the leaguge right now (the Dolphins are the second). Anyway, I didn't say playing disciplined football is related to talent. What I said is that it's the coaching staffs responsibility to force them to do that. The Colts are the 4th least penalized team, so there's nothing wrong with them regarding this area. Actually, they improved a lot, 'cause they were one of the most penalized last year.

My point was, that those drops, mistakes, inability to separate, inability to catch contested balls, etc. sometimes indicators of lesser talent more than bad coaching.

5 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

He lost  his franchise qb.  He took a 3rd round qb  to a 5 and 3 record. The lack of talent on the offensive side of the ball has reared its ugly head.  He lost 2 games back to back with Hoyer. Why should that be alarming!?! That being said, we lack play makers on the offense.

I am not alarmed or surprised. Reich is solid...but you have to have the talent on offense. 

7 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Lmao. You're something else. I'm fairly sure I did not edit %, but whatever makes you feel better.

And I believe I see two mentions of Brissett and zero of Hoyer. No biggie.

edit: this was edited at 2:25 EST (!!!)

that’s why my previous quote of you shows less than your current post does. Like I have said before, this was never about the QB for me. If you don’t enjoy the conversation feel free to leave

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

And one other thing.  Why does Mack come out of the game after every decent run he has?  Is he taking himself out?  Is it Frank?  Does he get tired that fast?  What's the story?  Guys used to fight to stay in the game.  He runs right off and he's not even breathing hard.  I have to believe this is on Frank.  I would hope Mack would want to stay in the game and Frank is probably pulling him.  Either way it makes no sense.  Our best RB comes out after one good play.  Unbelievable. 

Mack takes himself out as he is slightly hurt after the run.

7 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

that’s why my previous quote of you shows less than your current post does. Like I have said before, this was never about the QB for me. If you don’t enjoy the conversation feel free to leave

I was gone until you dragged me back with more nonsense. Proceed with your hissy fit.

47 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

the head coach controls the discipline in which his players perform. let me guess you wanted to keep pagano when our players sucked week in and week out and you blamed it on the players then just like you are now. 

Absolutely not. With coach Reicht, I never feel out coached as we had been with Coach Pagano (see 2019 game against KC / Andy Reid).

The coach hasn't dropped balls, missed kicks, get penalties called against him for unsportsmanlike conduct. He has only beat the odds that were stacked against him (Franchise QB retire 1 week before the season, we have a kicker that's 170 years old, untimely injuries to key players TY, CAMPBELL, Funchess, even the rush OLB who got hurt during the KC game.)

24 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

There are two models of discipline: External and Internal

External discipline is taught (from coaches) by exposing player(s) to a systematic series of punishments whenever they break explained rules and rewards them for following them. The key to effectively teaching external discipline is consistency in punishment and reward.

Self-discipline (or internal discipline) is a much rarer (and desired, IMHO) form of discipline where the threat of external punishment is no longer the motivating factor for following and applying the standard. People who apply self-discipline have themselves become the higher authority in control of their behavior.

They are not ruled by fear. Self-disciplined people do not change their behavior patterns if the threat of external punishment is removed. In fact, they may not even change their behavior under threat of application of an external punishment. They are self-governed. They follow their accepted rules internally.

Of course, I prefer self disciplined players that are also talented. :)

• Like 1

Starting Sunday if JB plays Reich needs to open up the playbook. If he isn’t willing to do that so we can see what we have with JB. He has kept the reins on to long. We can’t evaluate him if you don’t give him a chance. The way Reich has coached the last few weeks I am beginning to think this is a Reich problem more then a Jacoby problem.  I am just getting tired of him as a play caller.

3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Injuries hurt us, but we've been way too safe. If Brissett won't stop being a game manager, then we need to draft the next Luck. I don't want to try and repeat what Eagles did for 10 more years.

You dont just plan on drafting Luck replacement.  Ask the Jags, Phins, Titans,  and Washington how easy it is to just get a massive talent ay QB. 

You talk about drafting a top 5 QB like its a choice. 

Then you bring up the Eagles who won a Superbowl recently like they are a bad team.

• Like 1