Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

When will the Patriots play somebody good?

RockThatBlue

They have the Ravens on the road, might be a tough game. They play the Texans in Houston so that might be a decent game.

Outside of that, they have Dallas but that's a home game, they'll probably slap them silly. Kansas City is a home game but the defense is so horrible they won't be too much of a threat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, buffalo34 said:

They have the Ravens on the road, might be a tough game. They play the Texans in Houston so that might be a decent game.

Outside of that, they have Dallas but that's a home game, they'll probably slap them silly. Kansas City is a home game but the defense is so horrible they won't be too much of a threat.

4 potential tough games outta 16 games. Totally ridiculous.

• Like 1

The only three teams I know that gave them trouble played the that tight press style of defense when they played the patriots, the jags, the broncos and the Seahawks. So I think if you stand a chance play that style of defense against them. How teams don't get that concept, I'll never figure out. Not man to man, but press, man to man. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, dodsworth said:

They are just on another level and have been for decades, but I truly 

believe Ballard is using a very very similar formula with different

defensive philosophies.

8 hours ago, King Colt said:

No team has been good versus the Pats for a long, long, long time. Don't blame the Pats for their unmatched success. Envy is a killer.

They're certainly a talented and well-coached group, but look at their schedule:

Pittsburgh (2-4)

Miami (0-6)

NYJ (1-5)

Buffalo (5-1)

NYG (2-5)

Washington (1-6)

NYJ (1-5)

Their opponents have a combined record of 9-32, which is horrendous, and only 1 team above .500.  Part of it is them playing in what has been the worst division in football for several years now.

Their next stretch of games could be tough.  Cleveland has talent (although they don't maximize it by any means), Baltimore tends to give them a hard time every matchup, Philly is hot and cold, so maybe they'll be hot when they play the Pats.  Then you have Dallas, another hot and cold team, Houston, and Kansas City.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Maybe the week off gave Baker enough time get his head out of his butt... Hopefully he knows how to read cover 0 blitzes. And two great Wrs can actually neat press coverage..

Darnold has one of the best running back pass catchers in the game!  THAT is your safety valve vs. blitz zero.  One of the reasons you got Bell!!

Brady would see something like that coming, and flip it out to James White at the right time. Darnold didn't even have a sight adjust receiver downfield... just throwing it up for grabs it seems.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Amazing how they get pretty much every awful team in the NFL on their schedule.

Didn't the Jets load up in free agency this year?  Spent the most guaranteed money in the league? (IE:  LeVeon Bell, C.J. Mosley, Jamison Crowder, Brian Poole ... )

Jets won the pre season. How's that working out now?

Do they play anyone good this year?  

Look at their point differential!  Better than any in the last 50 years or more, I believe! That means even good teams should beware.

The best QB they've faced so far is Josh Allen...pitiful.

Sam saw ghosts-

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001068458/article/sam-darnold-seeing-ghosts-in-scary-showing-on-mnf

Wasn't Sam Darnold the Poster Boy of his draft?  Call these guys Sam!!

source.gif

Rookie QB's  have a steep growth curve in the NFL.  All of them.  Not all get through it.  Or reach top tier level.  We'll see in time.

10 hours ago, dodsworth said:

They are just on another level and have been for decades, but I truly 

believe Ballard is using a very very similar formula with different

defensive philosophies.

Maybe,  Here's hoping he makes some kind of move before the deadline like Belicheck just made for Sanu.  There will be a lot of sellers during the next seven days.  We are contenders too. 

2 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

They're certainly a talented and well-coached group, but look at their schedule:

Pittsburgh (2-4)

Miami (0-6)

NYJ (1-5)

Buffalo (5-1)

NYG (2-5)

Washington (1-6)

NYJ (1-5)

Their opponents have a combined record of 9-32, which is horrendous, and only 1 team above .500.  Part of it is them playing in what has been the worst division in football for several years now.

Their next stretch of games could be tough.  Cleveland has talent (although they don't maximize it by any means), Baltimore tends to give them a hard time every matchup, Philly is hot and cold, so maybe they'll be hot when they play the Pats.  Then you have Dallas, another hot and cold team, Houston, and Kansas City.

Seems to me NE is the unanimous choice to go to the SB this year because they are believed to be the best in the AFC regardless of schedule. Maybe by the end of the regulars season the Colts can give them a run for the money in the playoffs and many are saying that is real possible.

1 minute ago, buffalo34 said:

I'm just saying, the Patriots have had an unimpeded path to the Super Bowl since Peyton retired...

You not lying.. Well since the turn of the Century we've only had 2 other QB's in the Superbowl not named Brady, Manning or Rothelisberger. So with Ben big playing with curious characters the past few years it's just been Brady..

Lets go AFC get your rear in gear.. NFC is kicking butt again this year

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

You not lying.. Well since the turn of the Century we've only had 2 other QB's in the Superbowl not named Brady, Manning or Rothelisberger. So with Ben big playing with curious characters the past few years it's just been Brady..

Excuse me, Flacco would like a word with you, sir. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Darnold has one of the best running back pass catchers in the game!  THAT is your safety valve vs. blitz zero.  One of the reasons you got Bell!!

Brady would see something like that coming, and flip it out to James White at the right time. Darnold didn't even have a sight adjust receiver downfield... just throwing it up for grabs it seems.

I swear it looked like Darnold was throwing those picks on purpose. I know New England is good but they talking about that secondary like they are the best ever. Any team would have caught those picks. They envolved zero talent, just lame ducks tossed up for grabs.

3 hours ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Lol but the NFC is also 1-2 against the Pats in the playoffs the last 3 years with one being the biggest comeback in SB history..  so ya they want someone new too.. lol

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

at Baltimore will be real interesting for them. If Mahomes is healthy and KC has their full offense, KC will be hard for them to beat. That game is in Foxboro though. 

Pats D will stop Mahomes a few times.. heck they stopped him for an entire half last year. And the KC defense is a hot mess right now.

7 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Pittsburgh (2-4)

Miami (0-6)

NYJ (1-5)

Buffalo (5-1)

NYG (2-5)

Washington (1-6)

NYJ (1-5)

I would think there is a chance to lose a couple of those games. This stretch will show how good they really are. The offense struggled against the bills. 

9 hours ago, krunk said:

I don't even know why we ask questions like this.  We've seen the Pats play whomever and win in any year.  We all know they are competent enough to get the job done. They've proven it over and over again. 

I don't care. I want to see the Pats work for it. It's pathetic they get these free tickets to the playoffs over and over on account of their division's weak strength.

11 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

I don't care. I want to see the Pats work for it. It's pathetic they get these free tickets to the playoffs over and over on account of their division's weak strength.

Yeah and when they play somebody strong you know they'll figure out a way to beat them in most cases.  I don't even bother looking at who they play anymore.  They've got a sixth sense for how to come out on top no matter who it is in most cases.   I want them to lose just as much as you do but I don't waste time basing their success on their competition.  They seem to be able to adapt to it all. 

7 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I swear it looked like Darnold was throwing those picks on purpose. I know New England is good but they talking about that secondary like they are the best ever. Any team would have caught those picks. They envolved zero talent, just lame ducks tossed up for grabs.

They have 18 picks in 7 games. That’s how many teams get in a season

15 hours ago, JimJaime said:

Lol but the NFC is also 1-2 against the Pats in the playoffs the last 3 years with one being the biggest comeback in SB history..  so ya they want someone new too.. lol

Exactly, but you're drawing 1... 1 team every year from the NFC. Saints, Vikings (at home is what i was cheering for) and Packers would've been decent opponents all those three years. 

Look up and down the rankings this year.

49ers

Saints

Packers

Seahawks

Vikings

Will all kill each other by the time the Pats get to play one. That's what I was meaning by kicking but. AFC has:

Patriots

Chiefs?

Colts

Ravens

Texans...

The Patriots are coming up on the more difficult stretch of their schedule, so we will find out just how good their defense is. But with the exception of Buffalo (5-1), they haven't played a close game all year. You play whoever is on your schedule, teams don't control that. But their defense has dominated these weaker teams. I've been a fan since the 1970s and so far this is the best defense I've ever seen in New England. That includes the units in the early 2000s that gave the Colts such big headaches. 

As for the AFC East... it doesn't matter: 

The Patriots are 71-19 since 2003 in the AFC East. That’s a .788 winning percentage. Outside the division, they are 118-32 (.786).

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/patriots-win-same-rate-vs-rest-nfl-they-do-vs-afc-east

QBs the Patriots have played:  

Against other opponents:

Compl %: 62

Yds/Att : 6.51

TDs: 19

INTs:  21

rating: 77.2

Against the Patriots:

Completion %: 50.8

Yds/Att : 5

TDs: 1

INTs:  18

rating: 35.6

Yes, it is the Patriots defense that is utterly dominant.