Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Looking to Develop Chad Kelly

Rebel

2 hours ago, Nickster said:

Here we go again. 

This thread is here we go again...  Name another 3 & 2 team's fans that'll dedicate 6 pages to the 3rd string QB that's on the practice squad?  CK needs to mature some.  Sit back & be a sponge. Sure, he's humble now because he's coming off of suspension.

What I worry about with CK is how he handles success.  I'm sure Frank & CB feel the same.  If he can grow up some and master Frank's system in the QB room, I can see him coming out 'next' year competing for the number one spot. 

That's all depending on what JB does this year.  I'm not counting this season's team out of anything.  I like the way they compete week in and week out.  We haven't been dominated by anyone.  Big game with Texans upcoming. We win that and we can hit a nice stride. Let's let it play out. 

• Like 2

East Street:  Your question was right on!   NO!!!!!!  With that O-Line  11-5 at least.  28  teams in the  league would 11-8 with this LINE . Even with SB,BH,CK. It takes a good OLINE &DLINE to be a winner > NO BRAG  just FACT

25 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

This thread is here we go again...  Name another 3 & 2 team's fans that'll dedicate 6 pages to the 3rd string QB that's on the practice squad?  CK needs to mature some.  Sit back & be a sponge. Sure, he's humble now because he's coming off of suspension.

What I worry about with CK is how he handles success.  I'm sure Frank & CB feel the same.  If he can grow up some and master Frank's system in the QB room, I can see him coming out 'next' year competing for the number one spot. 

That's all depending on what JB does this year.  I'm not counting this season's team out of anything.  I like the way they compete week in and week out.  We haven't been dominated by anyone.  Big game with Texans upcoming. We win that and we can hit a nice stride. Let's let it play out. 

I'll say it again and proof/fact is how some people are posting. Some would rather have a QB throw for 300 yards and 3 TD's/1 INT's but we lose the game over a QB that throws for only 180 Yards and only 1 TD/0 INT's but we win the game. It is not an extreme what I am saying if some just read some these posts. I mean what other fanbase would be talking about a 3rd string QB who has been in trouble with the law when they are 3-2 with the QB they have starting? That is just strange IMO. As long as we win that is all that matters. I have stuck by saying that all season. I also have stuck by saying that JB is just above average and Andrew Luck is better. We don't have Andrew anymore so we have to live with it. Also Frank Reich knows we need to be a run 1st offense to win games. I have no problem with that at all. If we are running for 140 yards a game we will win most weeks. We are now boring I guess to some when they are used to seeing Peyton and Luck throw for 300 yards in their sleep. If JB throws for only 200 yards and 1 TD/0 INT's but we beat Houston the same threads will continue weekly. Maybe it was because we rushed for 140 yards lmao . Sad really.

Colts average 140 yards a game rushing, so that means JB probably isn't going to put up video game numbers. It also means we are playing smart and have a QB that knows his role.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

I am not referencing Chad Kelly.  He has some talent but I really don’t have much of an opinion in him.

I for one am not a JB supporter right now.  I don’t think he’s had much to do with our wins except for the ATL game and they are godawful.

He seems to slow in all facets of the game.  In our signature win he didn’t do anything but hand it off.  Had like 30yds passing 2nd half.

Dont care how many yds he throws, but how he sees the field and plays developing,  Seems inadequate at those things thus far.

9 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

Now now this is a bit of a strawman. It's one game, in which both QBs were playing so they had a direct impact on each other's numbers. I mean it was hard in some ways for Allen to put up yards when his D kept gifting him great starting position.

Yet the other QB still slings it for 400 yards? And yet gives it away so many times, giving opposition that more touches/drives?

To your wider comparison, Allen is a backup covering for a starter and they have a RB lighting it up. I'm not surprised they've kept it quite conservative. Even then, it's never been an O built on gaudy passing numbers. 

Is not JB7 also a (3rd round draft) backup covering for a starter, as well? {Granted,a starter  that eventually decided never to return, where Cam, most likely, eventually will). How he does determines if he continues to be the starter in the future, or they make plans to find one.

Winston.. is when you've found out the answer to "is he the guy", but at least you won't die knowing. Has the arm, doesn't have the QB smarts IMO. I'd certainly rather have the latter than former if I had to choose one. But what's wrong with wanting both? 

Dangers of a gun slinging #1 overall first round pick.  Took 5 years and see Winston's not 'the one'. I expect he might go the way of Josh Freeman (another round 1 QB) before him.

Again... and I will keep repeating this, why is it so wrong to want to see if Brissett is capable of slinging it when needed.

We will, in time. Especially if we get behind fast.  But it's then I don't want to find his INT % skyrockets when he has to throw >50 times. But What is the alternative? Preparing to draft one next year? Have to get it right, otherwise not only do you not get your QB, you likely lose your old one, and the ability to build other positions or depth.  It's serious biz.  We all understand, how much QB is enough?

Quite prepared to be patient, but also not going to ignore that he has some worrying shortcomings so far and it's not just his reluctance to push it deep. Progressions, locking onto receivers, a few misdiagnoses of defenses (overly critical of me I know). I'd almost be more forgiving if he was trying to make plays and making mistakes, but he's being very conservative and still making some fundamental errors. In a short span of games you'd live with it, but the hope is that he's going to be our guy for years right?

I won't ignore he seems to stare down his target, and missed on some chunk plays.  Maybe people are right and he never sees #2 or even #3 right now. It's #1 or safety valve, right? So now I question, where does these fundamental errors show up at the end of the day?  (game?). Missing a chunk play or two hasn't really hurt so far, has it? Things Ive read says he gets them into the right plays, so I'm not all in on his (lack of) pre-snap reads assessment, yet.

I've seem him march down the field late in a game vs a talented roster to tie the score.  I've watched a near perfect 4 minute offense run out the clock to secure a lead and victory. I haven't seen him pressed into a shootout, yet, where he was forced into chunk throws, yet.

I know most D coordinators use last 4 weeks as tendencies tape for game planning. Seems ripe for Reich to see if the receiver corps and JB7 are ready to exploit anyone selling out to stop the run. If they don't and leave the run game open, I say ride it until they do stop it. And be ready to shock them when they adjust. If he can make that jump, then maybe we aren't as bad off as some make it seem.  I'm all for upgrading, all positions if you can, but doing it where needed without hamstringing other areas or at an excessive cost. 

As always, I remain... cautiously optimistic.

• Like 2

What if QB (A) throws for 4500 yards, 39 TD's, and 15 INT's and we go 11-5?

What if QB (B) throws for only 3200 yards, 30 TD's, but only 8 INT's because he takes care of the ball better but we still go 11-5 by being a dominant running team?

-Same result in reality = we go 11-5 and the record is the most important thing. For years some in here wanted us to have a dominant running game, we finally have it and now some complain about the QB lmao . A QB that is above average, not average or below average, he is above average. He may end up even good-great who knows?

12 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

Winston is a frustrating one for sure, shows glimpses of being very capable, but then will have moments of complete implosion. I don't think he's losing the starting gig anytime soon, but I do think they move on from him after this season which adds another team into the mix for QB hunting in the draft. 

If that does happen it will be interesting to see what he can get on the open market, because he's not really the ideal type QB you'd want as a backup and I can't see him getting another starting gig elsewhere. 

While I don't like Winston (as a player or person), it would be very interesting to see how he plays for another team (one with a decent OL, and better supporting cast). TB in my opinion has been all over the place. He's a guy I think could do pretty well in the right environment, with a coach and O scheme that was more conservative.

10 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Yet the other QB still slings it for 400 yards? And yet gives it away so many times, giving opposition that more touches/drives?

Well yes.. he was chasing a game and had to throw, a lot of those yards were "garbage time". Again I'm not saying I want my QB to get 300 yards every  week. In fact I don't care about volume stats, give me decent YAC or ANYAC please. 

Is not JB7 also a (3rd round draft) backup covering for a starter, as well? {Granted,a starter  that eventually decided never to return, where Cam, most likely, eventually will). How he does determines if he continues to be the starter in the future, or they make plans to find one.

Completely recognise the situation we're in, and I previously posted I think we'd be judging him differently if he was "just a backup" with a starter slated to return. However, he is now "the guy" and if will be assessed against the yard stick of franchise QB. 

Dangers of a gun slinging #1 overall first round pick.  Took 5 years and see Winston's not 'the one'. I expect he might go the way of Josh Freeman (another round 1 QB) before him.

Agreed, Freeman was the guy I had in my mind too, and not just for the TB connection. Winston just seems to be mentally sloppy. I'm not sure if that's and attitude or aptitude thing. I doubt very much we'll be in a position to draft a "can't miss" QB in the near future though so it might have to be a project guy with the arm but needs developing. 

We will, in time. Especially if we get behind fast.  But it's then I don't want to find his INT % skyrockets when he has to throw >50 times. But What is the alternative? Preparing to draft one next year? Have to get it right, otherwise not only do you not get your QB, you likely lose your old one, and the ability to build other positions or depth.  It's serious biz.  We all understand, how much QB is enough?

Potentially. One note, if his play is of good standard I'd expect his INTs to go up but not his INT % (or not hugely). I'm  not sure what the answer is right now, I want to see more of him as a the starter. A lot also depends on draft position and on the day who falls where. If there's questions at the end of the season say, maybe you go the Mahomes/Rogers route and draft one to sit and develop while Brissett plays out his 2nd year. 

I won't ignore he seems to stare down his target, and missed on some chunk plays.  Maybe people are right and he never sees #2 or even #3 right now. It's #1 or safety valve, right? So now I question, where does these fundamental errors show up at the end of the day?  (game?). Missing a chunk play or two hasn't really hurt so far, has it? Things Ive read says he gets them into the right plays, so I'm not all in on his (lack of) pre-snap reads assessment, yet.

I've got no problem at all with this, because it's not just blindly ignoring the bad. Same as I think a lot of people aren't just saying he's terrible let's draft a QB. It's a nuanced take. So far the chunk plays haven't hurt, but it's impossible to say isn't it. You're into the realm of ifs, buts and maybes. If AV makes those kicks etc. I'd argue though that long term QBs who can't make those progression reads and who stare down receivers don't have long term success. Why I drew comparisons to rookie and these are often rookie issues. 

It also depends how he misses the plays. If he never sees the open receiver, worrying. If he sees them, locks onto them early (allowing the DBs to follow), makes the throw on time, BUT underthrows it allowing the DBs to recover, that's worrying in a different way. Thank god for PI!

I've seem him march down the field late in a game vs a talented roster to tie the score.  I've watched a near perfect 4 minute offense run out the clock to secure a lead and victory. I haven't seen him pressed into a shootout, yet, where he was forced into chunk throws, yet.

What's impressed me most is his poise, he's shown he can lead under pressure. I've never doubted that side of him, I think he's got the right head on his shoulders for sure. 

I know most D coordinators use last 4 weeks as tendencies tape for game planning. Seems ripe for Reich to see if the receiver corps and JB7 are ready to exploit anyone selling out to stop the run. If they don't and leave the run game open, I say ride it until they do stop it. And be ready to shock them when they adjust. If he can make that jump, then maybe we aren't as bad off as some make it seem.  I'm all for upgrading, all positions if you can, but doing it where needed without hamstringing other areas or at an excessive cost. 

Agreed on all this. 

As always, I remain... cautiously optimistic.

Me too. As I said before, I can respect this sort of response, but when people are just posting nonsense on repeat... it gets old, fast. 

Sorry for the lateness in replying, I wanted to give your post the consideration it deserved. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/14/2019 at 4:57 PM, Nickster said:

I am not referencing Chad Kelly.  He has some talent but I really don’t have much of an opinion in him.

I for one am not a JB supporter right now.  I don’t think he’s had much to do with our wins except for the ATL game and they are godawful.

He seems to slow in all facets of the game.  In our signature win he didn’t do anything but hand it off.  Had like 30yds passing 2nd half.

Dont care how many yds he throws, but how he sees the field and plays developing,  Seems inadequate at those things thus far.

Jacoby is just a stooge following orders(playcalling) from Reich.

Brissett is Reich's robot and Reich calls a very good but short game.

3 hours ago, Pelt said:

Just thought I'd bump this thread because the others haven't been as entertaining after this loss as I hoped they'd be! :peek:

Gotta wait for the MRI, but very good chance Kelly is called up. I'm going to get my popcorn ready because the haters gonna hate if he gets put on the 53.

What is beyond hilarious... is that some of the Chad Kelly haters that bashed him for his substance abuse behaviors were the same ones that wanted to take a chance on Josh Gordon who has both booze and weed issues, was kicked out of school for stealing electronics, and could only go to college in Texas because he was on probation for stealing credit cards.... The hypocrisy is priceless. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Gotta wait for the MRI, but very good chance Kelly is called up. I'm going to get my popcorn ready because the haters gonna hate if he gets put on the 53.

What is beyond hilarious... is that some of the Chad Kelly haters that bashed him for his substance abuse behaviors were the same ones that wanted to take a chance on Josh Gordon who has both booze and weed issues, was kicked out of school for stealing electronics, and could only go to college in Texas because he was on probation for stealing credit cards.... The hypocrisy is priceless. 

What the heck are you talking about. Why would we hate. He is our 3rd QB. Lol

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Why would anyone do that. If Jacoby can’t go he has to be called up. You don’t want pascal as your backup QB. That is just a dumb take to say people would be mad.

Did you sleep through all the Chad Kelly hate prior to the 53 being finalized. Some of it was pretty vicious. 

Do those folks simply convert to Chad Kelly fans?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Did you sleep through all the Chad Kelly hate prior to the 53 being finalized. Some of it was pretty vicious. 

Do those folks simply convert to Chad Kelly fans?

Your missing the point. Nobody is going to scream if we actually need him. It  was the dumb takes he should be the starter over JB or be the backup to JB.

I just talked to a friend and she put it in perspective for me. She said just be happy your favorite teams have won Championships being the 2006 Colts and 2016 Cubs while watching in your prime. Some fans of teams never feel that. Don't let people bother you. I now feel better with that thinking. Colts are playing with house money this year in reality, after Luck retied many thought we would stink so it is what it is. Bring out Chad Kelly if JB is injured, It would be fun to see. 

8 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Your missing the point. Nobody is going to scream if we actually need him. It  was the dumb takes he should be the starter over JB or be the backup to JB.

The dumbest takes were simply all the hate and vitriol. It's fine to argue about who is better, who should start, etc., but if they wear the Horseshoe, no need for cruel stuff. Why hate anyone on the roster of PS?

What I thought was funny was that several of the "Ballard can do no wrong" folks were the biggest haters. I mean, why would a "perfect" Ballard have a kid even on his PS if he was so horrible. If you look back, I was clear that JB deserved his chance, and a year to rock and roll. I also said that CK couldn't be trusted until he had sustained good behavior. If memory serves, most of the biggest haters were folks that freak out anytime there is criticism about JB. It's not hard to see motive lol.

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

The dumbest takes were simply all the hate and vitriol. It's fine to argue about who is better, who should start, etc., but if they wear the Horseshoe, no need for cruel stuff. Why hate anyone on the roster of PS?

What I thought was funny was that several of the "Ballard can do no wrong" folks were the biggest haters. I mean, why would a "perfect" Ballard have a kid even on his PS if he was so horrible. If you look back, I was clear that JB deserved his chance, and a year to rock and roll. I also said that CK couldn't be trusted until he had sustained good behavior. If memory serves, most of the biggest haters were folks that freak out anytime there is criticism about JB. It's not hard to see motive lol.

No one is a hater. I am sure nobody is mad he ended up as the third QB. You are stretching things a little.

8 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I don’t think he’s horrible.  I just think he’s completely unproven against NFL starters, yet people took what he did in the pre-season and acted like he was the second coming of Peyton Manning.  

I have zero problem with the Colts developing him and putting him on the active roster if Jacoby can’t go this week.  I just think if the Colts thought he was better than Hoyer they would have never risked losing him by putting him on the practice squad.  So I don’t expect him to walk in and start.  

I get people getting excited about Kelly.  I’d just caution them to temper expectations a little bit other wise I think they are going to be disappointed.  Playing against other teams backups and third stringers in the pre-season isn’t the same as playing against other teams starters in a regular season game.  Look at Cain as another example of that.  

I will say this if Kelly gets in there I’ll be pulling for him to do well because I want the Colts to do well.  

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

No one is a hater. I am sure nobody is mad he ended up as the third QB. You are stretching things a little.

You really need to revisit some of the older posts.... heck, the jail comment is only a few minutes old, and that's one of the nicer ones... lol

The reason I hope this thread does not EXPLODE again is simply because THERE IS NO DEBATE !!!!! …..If Jacoby can't go who do we use as QB Depth-wise ????????? …...Our head coach does have experience at the position AND Hasselbeck IS AVAILABLE !!!!!

Just now, HOF19 said:

The reason I hope this thread does not EXPLODE again is simply because THERE IS NO DEBATE !!!!! …..If Jacoby can't go who do we use as QB Depth-wise ????????? …...Our head coach does have experience at the position AND Hasselbeck IS AVAILABLE !!!!!

OR ……..Hey try this >>>>>There is a guy named Chad Kelly we might try !

1 minute ago, HOF19 said:

Neither Hasselbeck will be signed.   Good God.   

Just now, HOF19 said:

OR ……..Hey try this >>>>>There is a guy named Chad Kelly we might try !

He will be brought up to be the back up

On 10/15/2019 at 4:30 AM, Dark_Superman said:

I'm shocked no one snagged him when the Colts released him.

Chad would have been poison to any GM's career if his behavior went south after claiming him because they would have to add him to their 53.

The Colts took a chance on bringing him in house and teaching him more about the pro game and Colts culture. He may or may not be ready to play in a regular season game yet...Mahomes sat learning for a year before starting.

Chad's behavior has been good here but he has not played against this level of competition...Reich and the coaches would know.

17 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

You really need to revisit some of the older posts.... heck, the jail comment is only a few minutes old, and that's one of the nicer ones... lol

First of all it Jacoby can’t play next week and hoyer gets hurt and Kelly has to play most people on this forum are going to root for Kelly to succeed. We are colt fans and want our team to win.