Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Moving back in the 2019 Draft is proving to be another brilliant move.

BlueShoe

11 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, and I don’t have the time to read through every little detail of every post. 

I was thinking about this last night though. Washington is 0-5, they just fired Gruden, and they’re probably going to play a rookie QB sooner than later. Long story short, they’ll likely be picking in the top 5, if not higher. 

It will end up being very close to an extra first round pick for us. 

Said this back when the trade happened. We knew Washington was gonna be a train wreck, and I'm happy about that

• Like 1

Hey, it is like buying a stock at good value and buying low. But you have to sell to realize gains. The hope is that we cash in with the boatload of 2nd rounders we got from the Jets and now the Redskins, and that those players amount to something stellar on the field. So far, the results have been mixed, IMO, and the jury is still out. 

The Redskins got every pick of the Saints in the Ricky Williams trade but ended up with little to show for it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CaptainColt12 said:

The Redskins can also go 11-5 and win the SB and we'd be dealing with a 64th overall pick

Eagles and Colts, lose Wentz (2017) and Luck (2019), and manage to keep winning because there was talent on the roster. Redskins lose Alex Smith at 6-3 and have gone 1-11 since. There is not enough winning talent on that roster to survive a good QB loss there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How brilliant are the Rams and Eagles looking trading away their "future" for a franchise QB? I still disagree with the sentiment that trading up for one guy isnt worth giving up 2-3 other guys. But hey thats a conversation for the FA and draft side. Ill always compare the players we get from their picks to Tillery.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Eagles and Colts, lose Wentz (2017) and Luck (2019), and manage to keep winning because there was talent on the roster. Redskins lose Alex Smith at 6-3 and have gone 1-11 since. There is not enough winning talent on that roster. 

I thought people would have been able to understand my sarcasm. 

Yeah, it was a good trade.  I think the main reason was that there wasn't much difference between players at 26 and 34, so I'm glad there was a partner.

The skins traded up to get a DT. 

Apparently, it was Snyder who wanted Haskins at 15, and Gruden has apparently been starting the wrong QBs.  Looks good for our draft spot this spring.

13 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Hey, it is like buying a stock at good value and buying low. But you have to sell to realize gains. The hope is that we cash in with the boatload of 2nd rounders we got from the Jets and now the Redskins, and that those players amount to something stellar on the field. So far, the results have been mixed, IMO, and the jury is still out. 

The Redskins got every pick of the Saints in the Ricky Williams trade but ended up with little to show for it. 

They did get Champ Bailey.   They traded many of the picks away, but I'm not sure what they got in return.

Traded to Washington[13]

1999 first round pick (12th overall, later traded to Chicago, used to select Cade McNown)[14]

1999 third round pick (71st overall, later traded to Chicago, used to select D'Wayne Bates)[14]

1999 fourth round pick (107th overall, used to select Nate Stimson)[15]

1999 fifth round pick (144th overall, later traded to Chicago, used to select Khari Samuel)[16]

1999 sixth round pick (179th overall, later traded to Denver, used to select Desmond Clark)[15]

1999 seventh round pick (218th overall, later traded to Denver, used to select Billy Miller)[15]

2000 first round pick (2nd overall, used to select LaVar Arrington)[13]

2000 third round pick (64th overall, used to select Lloyd Harrison)[13]

The team that really messing up was Cincy.   The Saints offered them 9 picks to move up to the 3rd spot.   The Bengals said no and drafted Akili Smith.  

1 hour ago, SC-Coltsfan said:

I was thinking about this. We could easily have 2 picks in a row. Their first pick in the 2nd round and our last pick in the 1st round :goodluck:

Sure thing, winning Super Bowls are super easy, the hard part of this will be the Redkins need a worse record than the Dolphins. haha

We already knew it would be a high first rounder.  

When evaluating trades like this you also have to try and guess who Indy would have drafted had they not moved down.  To me I think the answer to that would have been Johnathan Abram.  He went on IR after suffering an injury in week 1.  

So initially it's looking good because at least Ya Sin is available to us.  But it takes time to evaluate these drafts so you never know.  Abram could come back from his injury and be an all pro.  

1 hour ago, twfish said:

How brilliant are the Rams and Eagles looking trading away their "future" for a franchise QB? I still disagree with the sentiment that trading up for one guy isnt worth giving up 2-3 other guys. But hey thats a conversation for the FA and draft side. Ill always compare the players we get from their picks to Tillery.

I would also disagree with that sentiment too because it depends on what you get.  

If you get a franchise QB or an elite pass rusher (Like Khalil Mack) out of the deal, it's a good deal.  

Otherwise the cost to move up into the top of the first is generally just too expensive to be worth it for any other position.  

• Like 3

This extra pick could play huge dividends in 2020. To be real Washington is going to be a top 3 pick next year and that gives Ballard lots of ammo to play with.

Option 1- Even though Ballard is known not to trade up but could he be all in for a blue chip prospects they fall in love with and package their 2 seconds to move up. Does he use the ammo to draft a potential Qb in a deep Qb class.

Option 2- he could also do like last year and trade back again to gather more picks for the future.

All is unknown right now but that pick i think is going to be Huge!!! Time will tell

2 hours ago, Coltsfan0112 said:

This extra pick could play huge dividends in 2020. To be real Washington is going to be a top 3 pick next year and that gives Ballard lots of ammo to play with.

Option 1- Even though Ballard is known not to trade up but could he be all in for a blue chip prospects they fall in love with and package their 2 seconds to move up. Does he use the ammo to draft a potential Qb in a deep Qb class.

Option 2- he could also do like last year and trade back again to gather more picks for the future.

All is unknown right now but that pick i think is going to be Huge!!! Time will tell

I think we'll see a way more aggressive Ballard this deadline and offseason.  We are close to competing.  It would be stupid not to try to build on that with creative moves for established talent

6 hours ago, DougDew said:

Yeah, it was a good trade.  I think the main reason was that there wasn't much difference between players at 26 and 34, so I'm glad there was a partner.

The skins traded up to get a DT. 

Apparently, it was Snyder who wanted Haskins at 15, and Gruden has apparently been starting the wrong QBs.  Looks good for our draft spot this spring.

The Sins traded up for a DE, Sweet, the guy with the heart condition.   Some people here were very not happy we passed on him.

As for Gruden....   He wasn’t fired for playing the wrong QB.   He was fired for losing and fighting the front office.   

The fill-in Head coach today basically said Haskins isn’t close to being able to play now.   Keenan started, as he was signed to do, but got hurt, and McCoy was coming off a broken leg from last year.

So three QB’s and they all have issues.   

The Redskins are a mess and have been since Snyder bought them. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, and I don’t have the time to read through every little detail of every post. 

I was thinking about this last night though. Washington is 0-5, they just fired Gruden, and they’re probably going to play a rookie QB sooner than later. Long story short, they’ll likely be picking in the top 5, if not higher. 

It will end up being very close to an extra first round pick for us. 

The likelihood of the Redskins stinking and thus having high draft position was discussed quite a bit at the time the trade was made.  This isn’t a revelation.  And, yes, it was a terrific trade.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The Sins traded up for a DE, Sweet, the guy with the heart condition.   Some people here were very not happy we passed on him.

As for Gruden....   He wasn’t fired for playing the wrong QB.   He was fired for losing and fighting the front office.   

The fill-in Head coach today basically said Haskins isn’t close to being able to play now.   Keenan started, as he was signed to do, but got hurt, and McCoy was coming off a broken leg from last year.

So three QB’s and they all have issues.   

The Redskins are a mess and have been since Snyder bought them. 

Agreed.  All of that is true. 

I mentioned the QB situation because it was reported that Gruden did not want to draft Haskins.  Sort of a difference between he and Snyder that wasn't ever going to heal without one of them changing their mind about Haskins. 

So what do the Skins do if they end up picking in the top 3 and a franchise QB is there for the taking? Do they do what the Cards did and just take the QB or do they pass and roll the dice with Haskins. I'll just say, the coaches want to win worse than anyone, and NONE OF THEM think he's even close to being ready..

7 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

So what do the Skins do if they end up picking in the top 3 and a franchise QB is there for the taking? Do they do what the Cards did and just take the QB or do they pass and roll the dice with Haskins. I'll just say, the coaches want to win worse than anyone, and NONE OF THEM think he's even close to being ready..

Alex Smith would be back from injury at that point in time. They can cut ties with Keenum or McCoy at that point in time and let Haskins develop. Would be the wise thing to do. Haskins is not RG3, he has played from the pocket plenty at Ohio State, and I feel that the coaches need to implement a system friendly enough for him. Jay Gruden may have been too stubborn, IMO.