Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Scheme or Ballard

Mr.Debonair

4 minutes ago, a06cc said:

The games we’ve lost we’ve still been in them. Some of you are overreacting. Even questioning Ballard for all that he has done. This roster is light years better. We’ll be fine next week. 

I have a hard time believing we'll beat KC... but you're right, people are overreacting.  The sky isn't falling, the world isn't ending.  We had a pretty poor defensive showing without our 2 best players... things will get better after the bye.

4 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Defense was overhyped by the forum we played some bad qbs last year and when we played a decent qb we were torched same is happening this year. Marcus did bad but Philip Ryan and Carr have torched this defense. We are leading the league in opposing qb completion and qb rating corners are trash linebackers besides Darius are trash as well

Walker is a very solid LB.  Our DBs are not all that bad... they'll look a lot better if we can figure out how to pressure the QB consistently.... the Falcons have scored 24 or more in every game, we played fairly well on D against them (especially in the first half).  Let's take a deep breath, this team is still atop the AFC South and I see no reason why we can't win the division.

6 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

I have a hard time believing we'll beat KC... but you're right, people are overreacting.  The sky isn't falling, the world isn't ending.  We had a pretty poor defensive showing without our 2 best players... things will get better after the bye.

Walker is a very solid LB.  Our DBs are not all that bad... they'll look a lot better if we can figure out how to pressure the QB consistently.... the Falcons have scored 24 or more in every game, we played fairly well on D against them (especially in the first half).  Let's take a deep breath, this team is still atop the AFC South and I see no reason why we can't win the division.

Falcons only scored 10 today. Besides Moore which corner would start on another team? Walker is overrated by the forum can’t cover the middle 

I think a lot falls on Ballard.  He went after Houston to help fix the pass rush and so far minimal impact.  He decided to go with the DT's we had and so far they can't stop the run.  Eberflous is also part of the problem. This soft zone is barely working and that's being generous.  These soft coverages on 3rd down are killing us and letting the opponent stay on the field.  Too predictable again.

9 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Falcons only scored 10 today. Besides Moore which corner would start on another team? Walker is overrated by the forum can’t cover the middle 

Walker has played on the outside the past 2 weeks as a fill-in for Leonard and he's recorded over 10 tackles each game.  He's a very solid LB.  Not the best in the game, but extremely reliable and certainly not a fatal flaw of this D.

Our back up CBs would start for Miami, easily.  Wilson, Desir and Ya-Sin would all make just about every other roster in the NFL, and would be able to start or at least get significant playing time on a number of teams.

What it boils down to is our front 4 need to start hitting the QB consistently and disrupting their rhythm, which will make our LBs and DBs look a whole lot better.

• Like 1

No excuses but where playing better teams then last year and its showing. Our D line  keeps getting abused we still have a long way to go. I think the last time the Colts had a good D was in the mid 70.Every 3rd down is and automatic 1st no matter the distance its getting hard to watch.

1 hour ago, Indyfan4life said:

This entire team pooped the bed today. Dunno what’s happened to this defense, and I’m aware Hooker and Leonard being out hurts, but it shouldn’t be THIS bad. The entire Dline was getting abused today. 

I’m more upset that regardless of who is or isn’t in the game, our defensive coordinator hasn’t figured out how to stop 3rd and 8 or 15 or 20. We have zero, I mean zero pass rush. We’ve not only spent FA $$ in Houston but we’ve spent a lot of draft capital in the line as well. 

when I think cover two, I think lots of pass rush. When I think man, I think slightly less pass rush. We are playing too much zone and allowing big open holes to just pitch and catch. If we can’t get quick pressure, let’s play more man and force tighter spaces to fit the throws into. Idk??

41 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

Walker has played on the outside the past 2 weeks as a fill-in for Leonard and he's recorded over 10 tackles each game.  He's a very solid LB.  Not the best in the game, but extremely reliable and certainly not a fatal flaw of this D.

Our back up CBs would start for Miami, easily.  Wilson, Desir and Ya-Sin would all make just about every other roster in the NFL, and would be able to start or at least get significant playing time on a number of teams.

What it boils down to is our front 4 need to start hitting the QB consistently and disrupting their rhythm, which will make our LBs and DBs look a whole lot better.

U like stats.   The front 7 is bad.  How is the front 4 all of a sudden going to start figuring it out on how to hit the qb? They lack talent at D line and line backer.  I like Bobby and Speed and could c them as starters.  We need 2 DT's and we have not used the draft to go up and get them. I don't blame Ballard for not getting one in free agency but I do blame him for not drafting one and/or 2 high.

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

The guys didn’t tackle.  Bigger lines blow the Colts dline off the ball.  No pass rush means all a zone does is making them take a long time to score.  

The only thing you kinda feel decent about is that Leonard hasn’t played in two weeks and his presence should help but he’s not going to fix all these problems by himself.

So far this defense reminds me of the Dungy Colts defenses. Same issues, similar style of D. The only problem is there is a KILLER attack paired with it.

Might have been a great defense to pair with Luck but with Jacoby? I don't think it makes sense.

*oh and that minor issue of lacking a #98 and #93

2 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

This defense is bad. It seems it’s getting worse with each week that goes by. I know Leonard is out so that is to blame for some of it. However, Im not sure he’s going to make that huge a difference based upon all the parts of this defense.

Ballard has done an excellent job on Offense with his picks. However, outside of Leonard not seeing the seem quality of picks and moves on D.

So my question is our issue more so scheme or personnel?

Scheme...

LB look lost. They over pursue the runs to the sidelines and good RB stop, cut back up the middle and destroy the Colts. They need a guy taking up double teams or the scheme is dumb. 

Leads to easy downs/distances and then teams just use their best WR/TE and good pass catching Rb to find the easy open spot in the zones, sit down make an easy catch and take off breaking every tackle attempt from the Colts which is a dive at the ankles. Coaching problems.

Wilson didn't turn around to play the ball once he was close to the endzone on a 3rd and 9 and Carr/Williams played pick and catch on a low ball front corner of the pylon. That always makes me so mad. You covered great but don't turn around to play/look for the ball after covering for 10 yards when the opponent is inside the 20 yard line facing a 3rd and 9?

What does Geathers even do? Only guy I saw making tackles after the d-line and all LB failed was Hookers backup Willis.

Rookie DB may be decent later on this year if he gets to play more man and use his abilities on the field. 

With these zones and no pass rush and bad LB you are just praying for a stop even on 3rd and 10 to 12 yards? Julio Jones/Sanu/Hooper made them look bad but Carr picked them apart a good portion of the game with nobodies. 

JB holds the ball too long, even on designed exotic/screen plays which you CAN'T DO. The linemen will always be called for illegal man downfield if you just hold onto the ball. Happened twice today. Linemen execute the play and go to block shortly after the play starts because the play is supposed to happen quickly. If the play is covered you throw the ball to the guys feet and move on if it's an early down instead of ending up with a penalty and more yards to move the chains.

JB needs a lot of work. He was tricked on the late pick 6 but he knew he needed to get a TD. Reminded me of the SB44 pick 6 a bit. The play design looked awful on that play anyways. No one is ever going to double team Jack Doyle.

Someone coach the young WR to protect the ball when they are running with it after a catch. It is not a loaf of bread. PC fumble ended any chance the Colts had of gaining momentum in the game. 

Why no onside kick when you're D has been getting pushed forward and run over all game? The previous drive the Raiders ran the Colts over twice on 1st and 15s! 16 and 8 yard runs. Only got the ball back due to the 3rd false start by Oakland on that possession.

Onside it. I don't care if the chances of getting it are slim. I knew Raiders would run it twice to end the game and they did it. Zero chance of a pass being called on an early down for Raiders in a road game where they have had so much success running. Common sense.

Why aren't you selling out to stop the run on first down? Nah. Give up 7. Colts have the big run stuffers for 2nd/3rd and 1 to 3 yards. 

Team wasn't ready to play to start the game. Can't wait for Hooker, TY and Funchess to heal up. 

GO COLTS!!! 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

None of those dbs are starting over Howard. Wilson Can’t cover anyone he would be on the bench or a free agent on any other team Ya-sin he’s young and he will get better with time. Desir is declining fast. Walker would be a back up on majority of contenders 

31 minutes ago, runthepost said:

None of those dbs are starting over Howard. Wilson Can’t cover anyone he would be on the bench or a free agent on any other team Ya-sin he’s young and he will get better with time. Desir is declining fast. Walker would be a back up on majority of contenders 

The secondary biggest issue is the lack of pressure up front.

3 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

This D is a lot better than what Grigs left Ballard with.  We don't seem to have improved this year from last year, but we've also dealt with injuries and are still very young with some things to learn (e.g., Ya-Sin will watch tape and hopefully not put himself in position where he's 1/2 step off breaking up a TD pass like that again).

Think the whole team, and Ballard inherited the worst in the NFL aside from 5-6 players. 

He has brought in Hooker, who if healthy, is a top 10 FS in the NFL (I think more like top 5).  He has brought in Q. Wilson, who is a good (not great) CB (he'd be better if the DL could hit the QB more often).  He brought in Anthony Walker who is a very solid LB, and has shown he can play several positions along the LB front.  He brought in Darius Leonard who was a first team all-pro last year (get over it, first team all-pro is for the best player at every position, meaning 31 other teams would like to have Leonard).  Turay was brought in as a project, and he's shown flashes, he needs to get more consistent, but he's not bad.  T. Lewis, when healthy, is pretty good (not great, but would make the 53 man roster on vast majority of NFL teams).  Ya-Sin is having some growing pains, but he's an NFL caliber CB for sure.  Willis has played very well for a rookie S drafted in the 4th round.  Banganu, Okerere, and Speed are all kind of project picks, but they are showing glimpses of hope while being thrown into the fire as rookies.  

These lower round picks are expected to take some time to develop. Please give it the time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

Ballard had a ton of holes to fill on this team.  Protecting Luck and establishing a run game were top priorities and he did that through the draft.

Autry, while not a draft pick, was signed to a very reasonable contract and has performed very well for the majority of his time in Indy.  

Rome wasn't built in a day, sir.

Hes had 3 years and a ton of cap space.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

This defense is bad. It seems it’s getting worse with each week that goes by. I know Leonard is out so that is to blame for some of it. However, Im not sure he’s going to make that huge a difference based upon all the parts of this defense.

Ballard has done an excellent job on Offense with his picks. However, outside of Leonard not seeing the seem quality of picks and moves on D.

This team lacks girth at the DL spot so when they come across a team that has a big OL and they take a lead, they can simply run the ball on us and we can't do anything to stop it.

Once Ballard adds some more talent and size at DT, this defense should look much better in that department. We have talent at outside pass rush in Turay, Banogu, and Houston. We just need big bodies in the middle who can free them up and collapse the pocket. Every highlight I saw today there was absolutely no pressure from the inside of the Colts defense. Carr could step up in the pocket all day. 

4 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

You could say...we dropped in the draft to accumulate more players of lesser talent.  You could also say we are drafting guys with physical measurables over instincts or you could say we're still very young on that side of the ball and they need time to learn.  It's likely some mix of all the above. You could also then say well, if you're going to run zone concepts you have to get pressure and get it rather immediately in today's NFL and we do not.  When in man our corners aren't holding coverage on third downs and we don't get off the field in zone on third.  Fix third down and get the ball back would be significant for us it seems.  Then if we catch the ball, that would be ok too. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

This team lacks girth at the DL spot so when they come across a team that has a big OL and they take a lead, they can simply run the ball on us and we can't do anything to stop it.

Once Ballard adds some more talent and size at DT, this defense should look much better in that department. We have talent at outside pass rush in Turay, Banogu, and Houston. We just need big bodies in the middle who can free them up and collapse the pocket. Every highlight I saw today there was absolutely no pressure from the inside of the Colts defense. Carr could step up in the pocket all day. 

The thing that shocks me is the lack of high picks spent on the interior.  When Ballard brought in this D, I knew they needed interior D linemen to make it work.  3 years later, no real investment in that position.  

6 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

How about neither?    This is the same scheme we ran effectively last year.

So what’s different?   Well...    we’re without our top linebacker — Leonard.

Our top corner — Desir — is banged up. 

Our top safety — Hooper — is out.  

And much of our defensive line is banged up as well. 

Plus...   we didn’t play the starters much in Pre-Season.

By the way...   the Rams, with a Hall of Fame DC,  just gave up 50 to Tampa today.    This is the NFL.   Stuff happens.

It’s way too early to panic. 

As for the idea that the problem might be Ballard?    Oh, Dear God!      :facepalm:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

How about neither?    This is the same scheme we ran effectively last year.

So what’s different?   Well...    we’re without our top linebacker — Leonard.

Our top corner — Desir — is banged up. 

Our top safety — Hooper — is out.  

And much of our defensive line is banged up as well. 

Plus...   we didn’t play the starters much in Pre-Season.

By the way...   the Rams, with a Hall of Fame DC,  just gave up 50 to Tampa today.    This is the NFL.   Stuff happens.

It’s way too early to panic. 

As for the idea that the problem might be Ballard?    Oh, Dear God!      :facepalm:

Desir is only a top corner in Indy because the other personnel is mediocre.

Hooker wasn’t hurt while the Chargers exploited this same defense.

Who on the D-Line was out today?

You reference the Rams D like our defensive performance today was an outlier for the season so far

2 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Desir is only a top corner in Indy because the other personnel is mediocre.

Hooker wasn’t hurt while the Chargers exploited this same defense.

Who on the D-Line was out today?

You reference the Rams D like our defensive performance today was an outlier for the season so far

Desir has actually played great. He locked down Ridley last week.

6 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Draft picks.  Their D line cant do anything against a good O line.  They get over powered.  This D reminds me so much of the Dungy Defenses

No argument with you on the D Line  play.... the run defense was putrid..... but Ballard can’t fix everything with 2 drafts either.

We’re gonna need another off-season to fortify ourselves on the D Line.... that’s just the way it is for now. :dunno:

6 hours ago, John Waylon said:

I don’t have an answer. 

Other than its time to finally throw out that top 10 defense talk for good. 

Haha.  I got blasted at the beginning of the yr saying the hype with this D would end quickly.   

They played the perfect schedule last year.  Cupcake teams with Cupcake QBs     This yr this D is getting exposed by better teams and QBs .

It really wasnt hard hard to see this coming  

8 minutes ago, pacolts56 said:

No argument with you on the D Line  play.... the run defense was putrid..... but Ballard can’t fix everything with 2 drafts either.

We’re gonna need another off-season to fortify ourselves on the D Line.... that’s just the way it is for now. :dunno:

3 drafts and tons of cap space.