Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Scheme or Ballard

Mr.Debonair

This defense is bad. It seems it’s getting worse with each week that goes by. I know Leonard is out so that is to blame for some of it. However, Im not sure he’s going to make that huge a difference based upon all the parts of this defense.

Ballard has done an excellent job on Offense with his picks. However, outside of Leonard not seeing the seem quality of picks and moves on D.

So my question is our issue more so scheme or personnel?

The guys didn’t tackle.  Bigger lines blow the Colts dline off the ball.  No pass rush means all a zone does is making them take a long time to score.  

The only thing you kinda feel decent about is that Leonard hasn’t played in two weeks and his presence should help but he’s not going to fix all these problems by himself.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

This defense is bad. It seems it’s getting worse with each week that goes by. I know Leonard is out so that is to blame for some of it. However, Im not sure he’s going to make that huge a difference based upon all the parts of this defense.

Ballard has done an excellent job on Offense with his picks. However, outside of Leonard not seeing the seem quality of picks and moves on D.

So my question is our issue more so scheme or personnel?

IMO it is a little bit of both. I think it is more scheme-related, but some better personnel would also help. We also missed Leonard aand Hooker.

Just now, John Waylon said:

I don’t have an answer. 

Other than its time to finally throw out that top 10 defense talk for good. 

I don't think we're a top 10 defense, but think it's too early to throw in the towel.  We're young on D (it seems like this is the 2nd time in 4 weeks where Ya-Sin was about 3 inches shy of breaking up a TD pass in the endzone) and we've been battling through injuries.

I think we'll start looking better after the bye week.  This loss hurts, though.  We could (should) be 4-0 (Vinny's missed kicks in game 1 cost us) and today we just didn't perform.  Unlikely to beat KC next week which means we will likely go into the bye at 2-3, where we could easily be 4-1.

Ballard.  Name me one of his draft picks  that have exceeded expectations? None of his draft choices have become irreplaceable.  Please don't say Leonard ,as he is so over hyped by this board and the media.  I said when Luck retired, we would see how well Ballard has truly drafted.  Luck hid a lot of warts. The media annoited Ballard as a top GM.  I held out  as I wanted to c how this year unfolded without Luck.

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Ballard.  Name me one of his draft picks  that have exceeded expectations? None of his draft choices have become irreplaceable.  Please don't say Leonard ,as he is so over hyped by this board and the media.  I said when Luck retired, we would see how well Ballard has truly drafted.  Luck hid a lot of warts. The media annoited Ballard as a top GM.  I held out  as I wanted to c how this year unfolded without Luck.

Quenton Nelson...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

Just now, Moosejawcolt said:

Leonard was an all-pro as a rookie and 2nd round draft pick.  You are absolutely ridiculous to say he hasn't exceeded expectations.

Ballard has done a very good job as GM.  He inherited a dumpster fire when he took this job.  Grigson had this team in terrible shape all over the board aside from Luck, Hooker, Vinatieri, Kelly, Doyle and Castonzo.  

Ballard did what Grigson didn't and focused on getting help for Luck off the bat.  We now have a top OL in the NFL, whereas it was awful prior to Ballard bringing in Nelson, Smith and Glowinski.

I'm sure we're going to need another year or 2 to really fix this defense, but all-in-all, today was just one bad performance and we were missing our 2 best defenders (Hooker and Leonard).  

Think it's time for people to relax.  The world isn't ending yet.

• Like 5

Just now, CurBeatElite said:

Leonard was an all-pro as a rookie and 2nd round draft pick.  You are absolutely ridiculous to say he hasn't exceeded expectations.

Ballard has done a very good job as GM.  He inherited a dumpster fire when he took this job.  Grigson had this team in terrible shape all over the board aside from Luck, Hooker, Vinatieri, Kelly, Doyle and Castonzo.  

Ballard did what Grigson didn't and focused on getting help for Luck off the bat.  We now have a top OL in the NFL, whereas it was awful prior to Ballard bringing in Nelson, Smith and Glowinski.

I'm sure we're going to need another year or 2 to really fix this defense, but all-in-all, today was just one bad performance and we were missing our 2 best defenders (Hooker and Leonard).  

Think it's time for people to relax.  The world isn't ending yet.

Name me one of his picks on D that u would consider irreplaceable?  We differ on our opinions on Leonard 

Just now, bestQBever said:

The scheme is actually really good but heavily relies on a pass rush which is non existant for us. Zone defense is actually very good when you are getting pressure.

Yea, I was all amped up about Turay after week 1, but he's not really followed up with much since. 

'Flus is likely going to have to get creative in bringing pressure to the QB, as it doesn't seem like Houston or Turay are going to be able to consistently pressure the QB without help from external blitzers.

I don't count a  top 6 pick that was being called a generational talent a good pick. When Nelson was on the board......90% called and wanted the pick including me.  I was more focusing on the D side of the ball

You asked us to name a player that couldn’t be replaced. I did such a thing no matter the circumstances. 

Name me one of his picks on D that u would consider irreplaceable?  We differ on our opinions on Leonard 

You said "name one player who has exceeded expectations" on D.  Leonard, as a 2nd round pick, led the NFL in tackles and was a First Team All-Pro.  He has absolutely exceeded expectations.

There are very few teams in the NFL who have more than 1  'irreplaceable' defender.  Ballard is doing fine.  We need to establish a pass-rush and get healthy and this D will be all right after the bye week.  It's not an elite D, but if you consider what Ballard was left with from the Grigs era, it's an improvement.

3 minutes ago, ColtsAC said:

Grigson got a pass for years on his first draft class. I think Ballard will get the same amount of time from last year's class. Then he will be exposed as a "blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile" drafter like Grigson was.

Ballard, IMO, is a better drafter than Grigson.  Yes, we're young and yes, we're going through some growing pains... but Ballard has undoubtedly improved this team from where it was when he took over.  Losing Luck was very tough, but this team could easily be 4-0 right now, suggesting Ballard has  better team in place than Grigson or Chris Polian did.

5 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I don't count a  top 6 pick that was being called a generational talent a good pick. When Nelson was on the board......90% called and wanted the pick including me.  I was more focusing on the D side of the ball

Ballard also traded down to get extra picks and put us in position to get Nelson.  It was a very good pick... any time a rookie is a first team all-pro it is a very good pick, regardless of it was the 1st overall pick or anywhere else in the draft.  He then got Smith and Leonard (another first team all-pro) in the 2nd round, both are starters and have played admirably for us.  

3 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Draft picks.  Their D line cant do anything against a good O line.  They get over powered.  This D reminds me so much of the Dungy Defenses

Ballard had a ton of holes to fill on this team.  Protecting Luck and establishing a run game were top priorities and he did that through the draft.

Autry, while not a draft pick, was signed to a very reasonable contract and has performed very well for the majority of his time in Indy.  

Rome wasn't built in a day, sir.

3 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

Ballard, IMO, is a better drafter than Grigson.  Yes, we're young and yes, we're going through some growing pains... but Ballard has undoubtedly improved this team from where it was when he took over.  Losing Luck was very tough, but this team could easily be 4-0 right now, suggesting Ballard has  better team in place than Grigson or Chris Polian did.

Ballard also traded down to get extra picks and put us in position to get Nelson.  It was a very good pick... any time a rookie is a first team all-pro it is a very good pick, regardless of it was the 1st overall pick or anywhere else in the draft.  He then got Smith and Leonard (another first team all-pro) in the 2nd round, both are starters and have played admirably for us.  

Think D.....he's had 3 drafts to make this D better.  I am not seeing any improvements 

Defense was overhyped by the forum we played some bad qbs last year and when we played a decent qb we were torched same is happening this year. Marcus did bad but Philip Ryan and Carr have torched this defense. We are leading the league in opposing qb completion and qb rating corners are trash linebackers besides Darius are trash as well

31 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

This entire team pooped the bed today. Dunno what’s happened to this defense, and I’m aware Hooker and Leonard being out hurts, but it shouldn’t be THIS bad. The entire Dline was getting abused today. 

The D line has had no pressure for two games now.

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Think D.....he's had 3 drafts to make this D better.  I am not seeing any improvements 

This D is a lot better than what Grigs left Ballard with.  We don't seem to have improved this year from last year, but we've also dealt with injuries and are still very young with some things to learn (e.g., Ya-Sin will watch tape and hopefully not put himself in position where he's 1/2 step off breaking up a TD pass like that again).

Think the whole team, and Ballard inherited the worst in the NFL aside from 5-6 players. 

He has brought in Hooker, who if healthy, is a top 10 FS in the NFL (I think more like top 5).  He has brought in Q. Wilson, who is a good (not great) CB (he'd be better if the DL could hit the QB more often).  He brought in Anthony Walker who is a very solid LB, and has shown he can play several positions along the LB front.  He brought in Darius Leonard who was a first team all-pro last year (get over it, first team all-pro is for the best player at every position, meaning 31 other teams would like to have Leonard).  Turay was brought in as a project, and he's shown flashes, he needs to get more consistent, but he's not bad.  T. Lewis, when healthy, is pretty good (not great, but would make the 53 man roster on vast majority of NFL teams).  Ya-Sin is having some growing pains, but he's an NFL caliber CB for sure.  Willis has played very well for a rookie S drafted in the 4th round.  Banganu, Okerere, and Speed are all kind of project picks, but they are showing glimpses of hope while being thrown into the fire as rookies.