Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Scheme or Ballard

Mr.Debonair

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Also saying we just played bad offenses last year is not completely true. We shut out the cowboys and looked great in both the Texans game and in the titans game.

Ha.   We beat an 8-5 Dallas team last yr that finished 10-6.   We beat a 9-7 titans team 2 times.  Once when they were 5-4 once to send them to 9-7

Houston.   We beat them once 

none of these teams were very good 

2 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

Ha.   We beat an 8-5 Dallas team last yr that finished 10-6.   We beat a 9-7 titans team 2 times.  Once when they were 5-4 once to send them to 9-7

Houston.   We beat them once 

none of these teams were very good 

We beat Houston twice in Houston. Still shutting out Dallas was huge.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, coltfaninnewyork said:

Elberfus still a hot head coach candidate?

Yes. His players dont catch balls from JB. Most of his key guys are out. And Khari Willis is playing good ball. No Hooker, Leonard, drop catches, an untimely INT, And miss FGs (it was A long 57 yrd attempt) was the reason for the lost. 

Eberflus is still a heck of a D coordinator. And is doing the most (coaching up players) with what he's got. All things considered. We don't have a primer pass rusher so this has a-lot to do with how the defense is ran./called. No guaranteed/dependable pass rush + no dependable(responsible) safety on the backend now that Hooker is out is a real test for any coach. 

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

You draft according to your coaches philosophy. He had no clue who the coaches were going to be and 

So the reason the players have failed from the 2017  draft is because of coaching?  If they were any good to begin with, they would have flourished under Reich and Eberflus which they have not 

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Houston only lost 5 games and won the division. They had a big winning streak just like the colts. They were good.

Here is their schedule.   They also beat Dallas.   But what other win on their schedule would you think was a great win?   They played a cupcake schedule too.   But it was harder than the Colts   Because the played the Pats 

https://www.google.com/search?q=2018+houston+texans+schedule&rlz=1CDGOYI_enUS763US763&oq=2018+houston+texans+&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l3.15622j0j7&hl=en-US&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#sie=t;/m/03lsq;6;/m/059yj;mt;fp;1;;

6 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

So the reason the players have failed from the 2017  draft is because of coaching?  If they were any good to begin with, they would have flourished under Reich and Eberflus which they have not 

The players haven’t all failed. That isnt what I said. Ballard now knows what the coaches need and want which he didn’t in 2017. Hooker just can’t stay healthy. I will give you that Wilson is just not working out.

2 minutes ago, Stephen said:

3rd and 32  a toddler  drops back to pass and it is caught  for the first down.

I have to admit that is funny and spot on. I was on the phone with a friend earlier when it was 3rd and 11 for the Raiders and I told my friend "watch Marino will get 12" lmao . I was calling Carr Marino that is how stupid it was.

24 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yep and our D couldn't stop the Raiders all day. 

Actually that’s incorrect.   They held the Raiders to 3 points on offense from the 6 minute mark of the second quarter

the D made adjustments and did their job.

Colts were in position to tie or win the game until the pick six 

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have to admit that is funny and spot on. I was on the phone with a friend earlier when it was 3rd and 11 for the Raiders and I told my friend "watch Marino will get 12" lmao . I was calling Carr Marino that is how stupid it was.

Yea this defense  is way worse  than last year

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DerekDiggler said:

Actually that’s incorrect.   They held the Raiders to 3 points on offense from the 6 minute mark of the second quarter 

Yeah then we needed a 3 and out at the end of the game they ran 3 times and ended the game lmao . They also got at least 4 or 5 and 3rd longs in the 1st half when they scored 21 was my point. Our D stunk.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah then we needed a 3 and out at the end of the game they ran 3 times and ended the game lmao . They also got at least 4 or 5 and 3rd longs in the 1st half when they scored 21 was my point. Our D stunk.

Yep. No way your coming back from that deficit without TY. But yet we almost did. 

The offense does shoulder the blame in the first half but most of it was dropped passes. We did move the ball in spots. We were never able to get in 3rd and shorts with all the dropped passes. The run game might of loosened up if those passes aren’t dropped.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Actually it was 3 points from the start of the second quarter.   

This zone D is going to give up yards.   Who cares     They kept them from scoring which is their job.  

So holding them to 3 points in 3 quarters was a very good adjustment.  

The first quarter was bad.    After that.  They were fine.   No pressure on the QB but then again Oak didn’t sack JB either that I remember 

defense came together and needed the offense to step up.    Until the pick 6 it was coming down to the final drive.   

Not saying wed we’d have won without the pick six but that was a killer 

1 hour ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Desir is only a top corner in Indy because the other personnel is mediocre.

Hooker wasn’t hurt while the Chargers exploited this same defense.

Who on the D-Line was out today?

You reference the Rams D like our defensive performance today was an outlier for the season so far

The season is one quarter over.   You’re acting as if it’s January and thus us your view.

As for Desir...   Kenny Moore is mediocre?    Really?   

As for the D-Line...    Sheard just got back after missing about 5 weeks.   Lewis was out.   Muhammad is playing with a stinger.  Turay is rarely 100 percent. 

Again...   the season is 1/4 old...    let’s see what happens...   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

The season is one quarter over.   You’re acting as if it’s January and thus us your view.

As for Desir...   Kenny Moore is mediocre?    Really?   

As for the D-Line...    Sheard just got back after missing about 5 weeks.   Lewis was out.   Muhammad is playing with a stinger.  Turay is rarely 100 percent. 

Again...   the season is 1/4 old...    let’s see what happens...   

Everyone in our division is 2-2 and we have a win at Tennessee already. Today's loss is bad but like you say it isn't January. It is like we are starting the season tomorrow but have a division win in our back pocket :thmup:

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Laughing my donkey off....

The team, without their #1WR, their #1 tackler on D....the top deep defender, and they lose their #1 RB to ankle issues in the second quarter...... and fans are like....

giphy.gif

Should  have run wilkins more

8 hours ago, a06cc said:

This team is lacking a replacement for Al Woods. He took up double teams allowing LB’ers to clean up. We’re also banged up. We’ll bounce back next week

8 hours ago, a06cc said:

The games we’ve lost we’ve still been in them. Some of you are overreacting. Even questioning Ballard for all that he has done. This roster is light years better. We’ll be fine next week. 

I have no idea what makes you think this. The Chiefs....Arrowhead....Mahomes.... lol

5 hours ago, TrueBlue12 said:

These lower round picks are expected to take some time to develop. Please give it the time.

Agreed...  kinda hurts without Luck, but the fact that we are still on trajectory for a .500(+) season without Luck says a lot about Ballard's building this team.  He said from Day 1 that if this was Andrew's Team, we can't expect to win with him as our only guy (something Grigson ignored).  We (if healthy) have a pretty well-balanced squad, and Jacoby is a very good (not Great like Luck, maybe) QB.  If I was a betting man, my money would be on us to win the AFC South again this year (9-7 could possibly do it).  After next week, the hardest part of our schedule is behind us... we went to the playoffs after starting 1-5 last season, at worst we're 2-3 going into the bye and we have TY, Funchess, Hooker, Leonard, Lewis all coming back.  The Lions gave a nice demonstration today on slowing Mahommes and KC down, I'll be interested to see what our D does to adjust to them after 'Flus already having faced them.

5 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Hes had 3 years and a ton of cap space.

And he's using our cap space wisely.  Grigs broke the bank for Landry, RJF, Arthur Jones, DHB, etc... none of them worked out and we ate a bunch of money.  Ballard brought in Autry, Hunt, Glowinski, and other veterans for cheap and they've all performed... other than Funchess, he hasn't really spent a ton on FA (he said this since Day 1, that he won't do that and wants to build through the draft and through coaching young talent to be Colts).  He's doing fine.  You're over-reacting... it's one bad game and we are still tied for first in the AFC South.  After KC, the hardest part of the schedule is over for us.. we're going to finish above .500 most likely and have a very good shot at the division title.

• Like 1

This is the 2nd time in a row a team has been able to possess the ball for literally the entire or most of the entire 3rd quarter on us. Whatever is keeping us from not being able to get these teams off the field needs to be addressed and addressed quickly if possible.

18 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

This defense is bad. It seems it’s getting worse with each week that goes by. I know Leonard is out so that is to blame for some of it. However, Im not sure he’s going to make that huge a difference based upon all the parts of this defense.

Ballard has done an excellent job on Offense with his picks. However, outside of Leonard not seeing the seem quality of picks and moves on D.

So my question is our issue more so scheme or personnel?

Leonard wasn't playing well, so he isn't the problem.
 We are not covering the quick passing game well at all.
  We are not getting anything going rushing the passer in his face.

NE creates that pressure using Others, rather than just the DT's.
 Everything goes down hill from there.

9 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I hate to say it but Reichs play calling was a lot like Pagonos today. Run run pass.

Well, with our o-line, you have to give them a chance to pound a D.
 Brissett was throwing like it was 2017. He was a couple tenths late getting the ball out, and throwing hard to make up for it. ALS, Andrew Luck syndrome?

His hard, late throws were above the shoulder pads instead of at the numbers, and these things caused what is called drops. 
 It put our O in constant bad situations and that will make any play caller wonder what the heck. We had a few penalties too. Ugh!

• Like 1

In his first couple of seasons, Ballard was forced to focus on the O-line and the rest of the offense, he wasn't able to heavily invest in the defense. This year, he finally got around to that, and we have seen some quality play from a bunch of defensive rookies, namely Ya-Sin, Willis, and Okereke. Give it time, he'll start getting us more defensive pieces, he can't fix it all in one year of defense-based drafting.

Wow.

I didn't realize we had so many experts in this forum...  Ballards' drafting, Reichs' playcalling, Jacobys' passing, the defensive scheme...  ya'll seem to know everything about everything...  :funny:

Where were you guys when Irsay hired Ballard?  Maybe Irsay should fire Ballard and just do what the forum tells him to do...  :facepalm:

• Like 1