Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Scheme or Ballard

Mr.Debonair

3 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Well, with our o-line, you have to give them a chance to pound a D.
 Brissett was throwing like it was 2017. He was a couple tenths late getting the ball out, and throwing hard to make up for it. ALS, Andrew Luck syndrome?

His hard, late throws were above the shoulder pads instead of at the numbers, and these things caused what is called drops. 
 It put our O in constant bad situations and that will make any play caller wonder what the heck. We had a few penalties too. Ugh!

You left out defenders going for the strip and not wrapping up ankles. We gave up perhaps 4 tackles that would have been for a loss. 

• Like 1

The defense is arguably better than it was at this point in the season last year. Through 6 weeks in 2018, they gave up 34 to the Bengals, 37 to the Texans, 38 to the Patriots, & 35 to the Jets. Due to injuries & inexperience, it's been kinda ugly so far this year, but I definitely would expect it to improve over the course of the year.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

We did a pretty good job the second half on waller. Eberflus wasn’t prepared to start the game.

It is inexcusable to get off to that start.

I agree they did improve a bit later, but still struggled on key 3rd downs throughout the entire game.

As Kevin Bowen points out below... this was in the 4th QTR:

6 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

It is inexcusable to get off to that start.

I agree they did improve a bit later, but still struggled on key 3rd downs throughout the entire game.

As Kevin Bowen points out below... this was in the 4th QTR:

Yeah that is inexcusable. How does that happen. Is it the scheme or players not being where they need to be. I hope with Leonard back and walker going back to his natural position will help. You wonder how much of a mistake it was to move walker instead of purring okereke at the WILL.

14 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Yeah that is inexcusable. How does that happen. Is it the scheme or players not being where they need to be. I hope with Leonard back and walker going back to his natural position will help. You wonder how much of a mistake it was to move walker instead of purring okereke at the WILL.

It's hard to say exactly who is to blame (or who's man is who's responsibility),

but so often, our defenders are way out of position, allowing receivers huge open cushions.

Perhaps the truth is... that the whole scheme is just simply flawed.

22 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

So my question is our issue more so scheme or personnel?

It's often some combo.

23 hours ago, a06cc said:

This team is lacking a replacement for Al Woods. He took up double teams allowing LB’ers to clean up. We’re also banged up. We’ll bounce back next week

If only it was that easy.  While that might help at times, the defense gap responsibility (and where in the gap) and run 'fits' vary as the offense changes personnel and groupings (12, 22, 13, and 11 personnel, etc...) and has to be accounted for.

25 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

It's hard to say exactly who is to blame (or who's man is who's responsibility),

but so often, our defenders are way out of position, allowing receivers huge open cushions.

Perhaps the truth is... that the whole scheme is just simply flawed.

To me this is a coaching problem. He isn’t purring his players in a position to succeed. Let’s hope like last year this teams defense improves as the season goes on.

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

Clayton Geathers is in concussing protocol. Why are we snake bitten with safeties.

Perhaps worth a look?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/30/cardinals-release-d-j-swearinger/

...the Cardinals have released veteran safety D.J. Swearinger.

Swearinger played every snap on defense over the first three games of the season and played all but one snap against Seattle. 

47 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Isn't the old adage, you build from the middle....Okereke is going to be good.  The instincts are there but the experience is not.  I wonder if Speed should get some snaps at the WILL or can Okereke move there - I don't recall him playing much there during the preseason.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Smash Mouth said:

Isn't the old adage, you build from the middle....Okereke is going to be good.  The instincts are there but the experience is not.  I wonder if Speed should get some snaps at the WILL or can Okereke move there - I don't recall him playing much there during the preseason.

I thought Speed looked good. Should be given more opportunities 

• Like 1