Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bobby Okereke allegations at Stanford

Steamboat_Shaun

39 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

So.....

Look at what you've written.     Fine.

Now ask yourself how many times are we to give a player -- any player -- the presumption of innocence before we say we are no longer willing to keep him on the roster.     Three times?    Four times?     And what if something similar happens while he's a member of the Colts?    

Wasn't it Hunt that KC released based on him not revealing an incident to them.   They asked and he lied.     So, what if BO did not tell the Colts about this incident?     He's still presumed innocent.    That doesn't mean he's entitled to remain with the Colts if he's not handling his personal business like an adult.

I'm not saying he's guilty.    I'm saying he's not behaving like an adult and apparently didn't learn from the first incident.    Unless you're claiming that the girls are trying to lie and frame him?

Although I don't think KC releases Hunt without the existence of that video.  He'd probably still be on the team with only verbal accusations.  The ones like Okereke is getting.

14 minutes ago, krunk said:

Although I don't think KC releases Hunt without the existence of that video.  He'd probably still be on the team with only verbal accusations.  The ones like Okereke is getting.

You may be entirely right.

I'm really, REALLY hoping Bobby has answers that make sense and add up.....

I don't want to lose him.    But if he's not who we thought he was.....   we may not have a choice.

I'm guessing we will now one way or another within a week.   The off-season practices end next week,  and the official off-season starts.     I'm guessing we'd like to have this settled by then.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't want to lose him.    But if he's not who we thought he was.....   we may not have a choice.

I'm guessing we will now one way or another within a week.   The off-season practices end next week,  and the official off-season starts.     I'm guessing we'd like to have this settled by then.

I  do hate that there's a 2nd accusation.  I'm sure somebody is going to come up with a 3rd one from somewhere.  Once the internet gets revved up something always gets uncovered whether it's real or imaginary.

• Like 2

Sorry in advance, i went back through pages and pages of this thread and can't find a link to the 2nd accusation against Okereke.  I googled it and can't even find it.  Can someone link it?  Just shocked that there is now another chapter of this.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

Ballard has sadly set himself up where he is going to have to release him. Just from a PR standpoint. When all you talk about is character and he went out of his way to praise Bobby he may have no choice. Unless he can prove this is a witch hunt.

He sounds like a good kid.... 

the girl apparently "tried to obtain a legal restraining order, but was unsuccessful. Lawyer Michael Armstrong represented Okereke in this case."  

Okereke was accused by another student in 2015; the case was handled through the university’s Title IX process, and ultimately he wasn’t disciplined.

The Colts confirmed that they were aware of the Title IX case against Okereke as detailed in the NYT story. In a statement to FoHo, Steve Campbell, Colts head of communications, wrote that "Considering our extensive due diligence, we felt comfortable selecting him."

“When we looked at it and talked about it, in talking to the young man, [it’s] an incident from four years ago, no discipline by the university, he was never charged with a crime, and then you look at his track record from that point until now … from 2015 to 2019 in the draft, everything we gathered and the high recommendations we got, we felt it appropriate to take him,” Ballard said.

Ballard said the Colts spoke with Okereke several times, and also spoke to people associated with Stanford and people “really close” to Okereke, and the team also reviewed the results of the Title IX investigation.

7 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

Sorry in advance, i went back through pages and pages of this thread and can't find a link to the 2nd accusation against Okereke.  I googled it and can't even find it.  Can someone link it?  Just shocked that there is now another chapter of this.

https://mailchi.mp/fountainhopper/foho-81-football-captain-nfl-draftee-bobby-okereke-allegedly-sexually-assaulted-another-student-by-groping-digitally-penetrating-her?e=cf64df49da

20 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Rape or sexual assault is different than most other crimes.    Prosecutors and defense lawyers will tell you that.   So will judges and police.    

Its the exception to all the rules.  

Im sure you’ve heard the claim that one out of three women has either been raped or sexually assaulted in some way.    One out of three.   You don’t hear that happening with most any other crime.  

This is why the “MeToo” movement almost literally exploded overnight.   So many thousands and thousands of women who feel betrayed by one or more aspects of the whole system.

The reason for that is because the definition of "sexual assault" has become impossibly broad, it no longer means rape, sex, or intercourse.

Ever mooned someone?

What about a kiss forced on you while you and the perpetrator both had too many drinks?

Or taken a beer bottle, rubbed it in your center body, or made gestures  in the process?

That's every other weekend at any kind of football or basketball school/college but could easily fit the definition of sexual assault, should you offend someone enough with it.

If 1 in 3 women is raped versus "sexually assaulted", would fathers ever allow their daughters to date or go to college?

1 hour ago, rock8591 said:

The reason for that is because the definition of "sexual assault" has become impossibly broad, it no longer means rape, sex, or intercourse.

Ever mooned someone?

What about a kiss forced on you while you and the perpetrator both had too many drinks?

Or taken a beer bottle, rubbed it in your center body, or made gestures  in the process?

That's every other weekend at any kind of football or basketball school/college but could easily fit the definition of sexual assault, should you offend someone enough with it.

If 1 in 3 women is raped versus "sexually assaulted", would fathers ever allow their daughters to date or go to college?

I agree that the definition of sexual assault has evolved and it’s more broad than ever before.   And I don’t think it’s helpful.

That said,  that’s a relatively newer phenomenon,  I’d say roughly the last decade or so.   But the claim about 1 in 3 women is not new.    Been around for several decades easily.    And the problem about what Dad’s would do if they knew is that they typically don’t know.    Because daughters often don’t tell their fathers for a wide variety of reasons.    They fear upsetting their father, hurting their father, disappointing their father, being second guessed by their fathers,  don’t want to reveal they’re sexually active to their fathers....    and on and on....  

Again....    this is the one issue that is not like all the others...  

5 hours ago, BPindy said:

I’m trying to remain impartial until more info (if any) comes out, but that write up seems very heavily biased

I agree. This does not seem to be a credible site. This is the first I have heard of it. The way the site is asking others for more reports of sexual misconduct by that player and other Stanford players made me believe that it is biased. It reminds me a bit of that website that Pats fans created in an attempt to show that all teams cheat.

@Superman Serious question. What made you post that article given that you too found it biased? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I hope that he and other guys in his position think first before they put themselves in that situation. Same for the women. Both sides have to take personal responsibility. Watch how much you drink. Don't go to the other person's bedroom and put yourself in position of someone accusing you of wrongdoing or putting yourself at risk of rape. 

Former Colts head coach Tony Dungy used to tell players that nothing good happens after midnight. He's right.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I hope that he and other guys in his position think first before they put themselves in that situation. Same for the women. Both sides have to take personal responsibility. Watch how much you drink. Don't go to the other person's bedroom and put yourself in position of someone accusing you of wrongdoing or putting yourself at risk of rape. 

Former Colts head coach Tony Dungy used to tell players that nothing good happens after midnight. He's right.

I personally have to Disagree with that. Lol

6 hours ago, NFLfan said:

It also depends on the person and how responsible they are. When I was in my 20's I used to go out and close bars down at 3am and be pretty buzzed on beer/whiskey. I always maintained though, never got into fights, nor never got arrested for being belligerent/doing something dumb. If I was a football player I would not go out much at all though and definitely not be out after midnight. 

• Like 1

I'm not at all comfortable with this website.  Looks like a word press site set up by someone.  A student?

I don't know who is saying these things but the history of articles there is pretty tabloid like.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I personally have to Disagree with that. Lol

Lol. I was going to add that having said that, I do go out after midnight. However, I don't get drunk or leave parties/bar with strangers . I'm careful.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I agree. This does not seem to be a credible site. This is the first I have heard of it. The way the site is asking others for more reports of sexual misconduct by that player and other Stanford players made me believe that it is biased. It reminds me a bit of that website that Pats fans created in an attempt to show that all teams cheat.

@Superman Serious question. What made you post that article given that you too found it biased? 

The fact that the previous article was at least factually accurate is why I decided to post this second article. I thought about it for a while before I posted, and that was the ultimate factor. I would have felt intellectually dishonest if I chose not to post it.

Doesn't mean I find the site to be credible. They obviously have an agenda, though I'm not sure what it is. They could just be over zealous in their desire to uncover truthful accounts of abuse. Or they could be on a crusade to damage or undermine someone, or some institution that they disagree with. 

End of the day, we've seen enough instances of tabloidish publications breaking real, serious news that I'm uncomfortable outrightly dismissing a publication just because their website sucks or they're overly sensational. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

The fact that the previous article was at least factually accurate is why I decided to post this second article. I thought about it for a while before I posted, and that was the ultimate factor. I would have felt intellectually dishonest if I chose not to post it.

Doesn't mean I find the site to be credible. They obviously have an agenda, though I'm not sure what it is. They could just be over zealous in their desire to uncover truthful accounts of abuse. Or they could be on a crusade to damage or undermine someone, or some institution that they disagree with. 

End of the day, we've seen enough instances of tabloidish publications breaking real, serious news that I'm uncomfortable outrightly dismissing a publication just because their website sucks or they're overly sensational. 

Ok. I hear you. However, I can see how someone can create a site and use some credible sources and then embellish stories or promote an agenda with information that may not be truthful. As I mentioned in an earlier post, a Pats fan created a site with information about teams cheating. Some of the information may be accurate but a lot is either embellished or fabricated. While it may have some accurate information, that does not make it credible.

Here’s the thing...how many other players in this draft have been accused of sexual assault...let alone twice?

This sort of thing doesn’t really seem that common. And I am not sure why Okereke would be a target of fabricated stories...though I suppose it’s possible he (or Stanford) could be...or he’s caught in the crosshairs of some site trying to make a name for itself.

But still have no idea what happened. It just seems like a bad situation could be getting worse. Will be interesting to see what (if anything) the Colts do. 

12 hours ago, NFLfan said:

And there you have it.... two kids in an alcohol-soaked party culture that is given a wink and a nod on just about every college campus.... and the next thing you know, self-control is given the night off.

Ultimately.... once whatever happened went from consensual to non-consensual.... it was on Okereke to back off and leave. But of course, we're talking two kids plus alcohol.... and the Trinity of Stupidity strikes again. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/5/2019 at 8:11 AM, NannyMcafee said:

These days women scream rape when nothing happened at all. Not saying she was or wasnt. I just know a kid who went through this scenario, got dragged through the mud, was arrested because of it, just to be found not guilty. The lady walked. She was found to be lying and just walked away. Meanwhile this guy still has an arrest on his record for no reason. 

You don't have a record of arrests, you have a record of convictions. You have to be convicted of a crime for it to appear on your record. 

23 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

You don't have a record of arrests, you have a record of convictions. You have to be convicted of a crime for it to appear on your record. 

100% UNtrue.

Unless the arrest is expunged, everything leaves a trail nowadays.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

I’m not a lawyer,  but I do not believe this is true. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/8/2019 at 11:43 AM, shastamasta said:

Here’s the thing...how many other players in this draft have been accused of sexual assault...let alone twice?

This sort of thing doesn’t really seem that common. And I am not sure why Okereke would be a target of fabricated stories...though I suppose it’s possible he (or Stanford) could be...or he’s caught in the crosshairs of some site trying to make a name for itself.

But still have no idea what happened. It just seems like a bad situation could be getting worse. Will be interesting to see what (if anything) the Colts do. 

Tabloids (like the second website) don't count. If anyone clicked on the second site, it is a true ROTFLMAO moment.

I've been accused of being married and a Buddhist, when I'm single and a Scientologist (not being sarcastic with either).

I hesitated even adding to this thread except to say it should be locked, buried and forgotten.  The longer it gets, the greater the chances it gets picked up as "a report says that blah, blah...".  So far at least our local reporters who may read this forum have had the good sense to refrain from giving it more legitimacy.  

Send me your annoymous emails and I'll post them?  And please give me money when you're at it?  That's laughable even in this day and age 

On 6/5/2019 at 7:52 AM, MikeCurtis said:

Innocent ....until proven guilty ..........by a court of law

Its a great concept our country needs to go back to.................

Sadly the country is moving far away from that and I think things are going to get a lot worse before people wake up about it and by then, we need to hope it isn't too late. 

I didn't even read what he is accused of as it is meaningless unless he is charged with something or confesses to it, so I am not going to pollute my thoughts with empty nonsense.  

On 6/8/2019 at 1:18 PM, pacolts56 said:

And there you have it.... two kids in an alcohol-soaked party culture that is given a wink and a nod on just about every college campus.... and the next thing you know, self-control is given the night off.

Ultimately.... once whatever happened went from consensual to non-consensual.... it was on Okereke to back off and leave. But of course, we're talking two kids plus alcohol.... and the Trinity of Stupidity strikes again. 

That's the thing with these stories.   Alcohol.   It's involved in most college assaults or claimed assaults.   However, it doesn't excuse people.  

It's a different time now.  In my day, it was common to try to get the college girls drunk (which was pretty easy) in order for them to let loose.  Now that I think back on it, it was in almost the same category as date rape drugs.   Consent was the main difference.   Even though we were both drunk, nothing would happen if she didn't want it to.   Alcohol just had a way of your odds going from 20% to 50%.  

That second accusation seems sketchy.   All an allegation should do it put the team on guard.  Do a better investigation and interview, which is what Ballard did.     A second allegation makes it a bit more tricky.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Really?

Ahhh....    ehhhh....   uhhh....

I don’t think laughing st someone for their religion is a good look....

For anyone.

Rick said he wasn’t kidding....

But, that's what made it funny :scratch:

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, J@son said:

But, that's what made it funny :scratch:

Believe me I’m not trying to defend Scientology...    I’m only trying to defend the bigger, broader issue of not commenting on another person’s religion.... 

I realize there’s some over lap here...  but still...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Believe me I’m not trying to defend Scientology...    I’m only trying to defend the bigger, broader issue of not commenting on another person’s religion.... 

I realize there’s some over lap here...  but still...

Oh I get it...and 99% of the time I'd agree with you. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Myles said:

That second accusation seems sketchy.   All an allegation should do it put the team on guard.  Do a better investigation and interview, which is what Ballard did.     A second allegation makes it a bit more tricky.  

The second allegation is very different from the first, by the way. It's a completely different kind of scenario, interaction, intention, etc. Everything is different, it doesn't fit a pattern, etc. 

I'm not sure whether that means anything, and if so, what? Just something that stands out to me.