Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts draft Bobby Okereke, LB, Stanford

MTC

10 minutes ago, stitches said:

Not exactly. Sean Lee is master of processing and reading the field. He wins with incredibly high football IQ and smarts. I don't think Okereke has this level of instincts and play recognition, but he might be more athletic and better mover. 

I tried to edit that real fast. I didnt realize he was black until i popped on the film. Now i see some of the Darius Leonard stuff. He looks pretty solid.

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

Why did they throw out his Combine 3-cone? Maybe it was just a bad drill that day. I did read that change of direction could be a weakness. Will have to watch some tape.

No idea. I didn't realize they did that. 

22 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

I don’t think he beats out walker I think he is our new cover LB on passing downs to start! fast, long arms, athletic, probably needs to add some strength. Like the pick and his skill is a weak point for the defense!

He’s direct completion for Walker...and much needed. 

Either they are looking at moving Leonard to MIKE to captain the defense (makes plenty of sense because he never leaves the field) or they are looking to upgrade Walker...or at least give him legit competitor for snaps.

Just now, stitches said:

No idea. I didn't realize they did that. 

It was 7.25...according to NFL.com. Just weird that they not include that while including all other Combine numbers. Maybe he only did the 3-cone at his Pro Day? Pretty hard to improve on a 4.58 40...that is fast. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

He’s direct completion for Walker...and much needed. 

Either they are looking at moving Leonard to MIKE to captain the defense (makes plenty of sense because he never leaves the field) or they are looking to upgrade Walker...or at least give him legit competitor for snaps.

Leonard ain't moving anywhere. He's already the leader on D, regardless.

• Thanks 1

Okereke can play next to Leonard, but something we all discussed last year was that when Leonard is out for a play or two, there’s no one that can do what he can at the WILL position. No there is someone. Also, they can start dropping Leonard into coverage more often an get really creative with packages on defense. This is an underrated pick.

• Like 5

Going into the draft we didn't have glaring holes or needs. So we were able to take advantage of that by adding some really good pieces we can use to throw in some serious mismatches and different looks. Both Lber are fast, athletic and can play multiple positions. Good way to confuse the QB

1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

As several have mentioned above, if nothing else, we needed depth at linebacker due to the serious drop in play when Leonard is out. He missed one game in 18 and it was more than noticeable. We need playmakers. We got playmakers last night...

There was also a serious drop in play when Walker missed a game or two.

The Colts need more than 2 good linebackers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, egg said:

I have said on this forum many times that to me, it looks like Ballard addresses weak positional groups and doubles up on them early in drafts. He addressed the defensive backs in his first draft with Hooker, Wilson, Hairston. He addressed the offensive line last year with Nelson, and Smith. I know he doesn't reach for players and draft according to need, but it does make me wonder if his strategy isn't placing higher values on positions of need, as there is starting to be a trend. I thought coming into this year based off watching a thin linebacker group, he may do this. Banogu is going to start out working out of the SAM position. Okereke is a versatile backer that will be able to move across all three positions. THAT is addressing a weak area (and by weak, I mean depth wise.) We have serious young depth at linebacker now.

7 minutes ago, egg said:

Beyond Walker and Leonard we were weak and seriously exploitable.

Against KC it WAS glaring. Going into the draft our biggest need was LB.
 Now we have a thumper and another athletic one.  :thmup:

Just like CB to Fix a need with more than one good option.
  Drafted a CB a year ahead of when it may be a big need.
 And a WR that can be a big part of our attack when TY is out/breaks down.
   I see what you are doing CB.   
 Now for S, OL, RB. Maybe.  :spit:  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Beyond Walker and Leonard we were weak and seriously exploitable.

Against KC it WAS glaring. Going into the draft our biggest need was LB.
 Now we have a thumper and another athletic one.  :thmup:

Just like CB to Fix a need with more than one good option.
  Drafted a CB a year ahead of when it may be a big need.
 And a WR that can be a big part of our attack when TY is out/breaks down.
   I see what you are doing CB.   
 Now for S, OL, RB. Maybe.  :spit:  

I think he is being patient at Tackle, which concerns me. He is going to have to find AC's replacement sooner than later. I'd rather get them early and have that depth, but I won't question. 

21 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I have said on this forum many times that to me, it looks like Ballard addresses weak positional groups and doubles up on them early in drafts. He addressed the defensive backs in his first draft with Hooker, Wilson, Hairston. He addressed the offensive line last year with Nelson, and Smith. I know he doesn't reach for players and draft according to need, but it does make me wonder if his strategy isn't placing higher values on positions of need, as there is starting to be a trend. I thought coming into this year based off watching a thin linebacker group, he may do this. Banogu is going to start out working out of the SAM position. Okereke is a versatile backer that will be able to move across all three positions. THAT is addressing a weak area (and by weak, I mean depth wise.) We have serious young depth at linebacker now.

Mack Wilson is still on the board. If he falls to the Colts in the 4th round he could be a good back-up to Walker......

9 hours ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Leonard ain't moving anywhere. He's already the leader on D, regardless.

Right. I am talking about wearing the green dot...and calling plays.

I don’t think Ballard would draft a depth LB this early. And for a team that doesn’t really use a third LB much, something has to give.

• Like 2

Here's how I see Ballard's draft philosophy and FA philosophy after 2plus years: your strengths, make them stronger. Your weaknesses, you suppliment with incrimental upgrades til its not longer a weakness.

Ballard has shown he'll makes strengths better in the draft early, and then suppliment the weaknesses later.

FA he's shown he'll treat it like later parts of the draft.

Granted this seems mostly to apply this year specifically, but this especially is the first year with everything in place from a scouting and coaching standpoint.

I like this philosophy. We see this with Ebron last year: he still had the same drop rate as he did as a lion. But our coaches recognized that he's great at boxing out DBs, and if we don't make him think about YAC he's going to be more reliable.

1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I think he is being patient at Tackle, which concerns me. He is going to have to find AC's replacement sooner than later. I'd rather get them early and have that depth, but I won't question. 

Well, if needed he can do that next draft.
But i think Clark showed enough last season that his development wasn't that far off.
 Castonzo gave up 18.5 sacks total his 1st 2 seasons, and had an astronomical 70+ sack, hits, and hurries his 3rd.
 There is also Antonio Garcia that was once a good prospect to consider.
And i suspect AC will get a extension if he is healthy enough for one. lol

I really like Okereke. He will give Ant Walker serious competition. Banougu will probably start at Sam over Matthew Adams. Or at the very least be stiff competition while also getting reps pass rushing and covering. It gets even better if Eddie Speed can ball.

On 4/26/2019 at 11:43 PM, krunk said:

I tried to edit that real fast. I didnt realize he was black until i popped on the film. Now i see some of the Darius Leonard stuff. He looks pretty solid.

HUH?

You saying a black player can not process and read the game so you can't compare him to Sean Lee?  

Odd statement krunk seeing that Okereke played the most cerebral position at STANFORD:woah:

30 minutes ago, Introspect said:

HUH?

You saying a black player can not process and read the game so you can't compare him to Sean Lee?  

Odd statement krunk seeing that Okereke played the most cerebral position at STANFORD:woah:

No that aint what i meant. Nothing to do with Cerebral. I think Ant Walker is pretty cerebral, and of course greats like Ray Lewis. And that was Stitches comment about Cerebral. However on my end i do have a habit of instantly looking for another person of the same color to compare someones game to. I think most people do that. Sean Lee wouldnt have been who i compared him to if i had seen him before i made the comment. I would have found someone else who looked like him off first thought and instinct. Just my own human instincts with that. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, krunk said:

No that aint what i meant. Nothing to do with Cerebral. I think Ant Walker is pretty cerebral, and of course greats like Ray Lewis. And that was Stitches comment about Cerebral. However on my end i do have a habit of instantly looking for another person of the same color to compare someones game to. I think most people do that. Sean Lee wouldnt have been who i compared him to if i had seen him before i made the comment. I would have found someone else who looked like him off first thought and instinct. Just my own human instincts with that. 

Much respect that you are in tune with your own nature. Thanks for the clarification my man:thmup:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, krunk said:

However on my end i do have a habit of instantly looking for another person of the same color to compare someones game to. I think most people do that.

4 minutes ago, Introspect said:

Much respect that you are in tune with your own nature.

Not saying it's right, but I think it's most peoples' nature to do the same.

I can even count how many times a black QB gets compared almost exclusively to other black QBs, or white WRs get compared almost exclusively to other white WRs, black OTs, white RBs, the list goes on and on.  Even black coaches.

I understand it, but I definitely notice it and wonder if we're going to do this forever.  If there's ever a white cornerback in the NFL, some people won't know who to compare him to.  haha

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Not saying it's right, but I think it's most peoples' nature to do the same.

I can even count how many times a black QB gets compared almost exclusively to other black QBs, or white WRs get compared almost exclusively to other white WRs, black OTs, white RBs, the list goes on and on.  Even black coaches.

I understand it, but I definitely notice it and wonder if we're going to do this forever.  If there's ever a white cornerback in the NFL, some people won't know who to compare him to.  haha

I thought Jason Seahorn was a pretty good white corner, but i just never think of him as a comparison to a black player and its got zero to do with whose race is better at this or that. Im black myself for that matter. When i look to compare apples to apples the first thing i think of is the black guy if the guy im talking about is black. And i look for the white guy if the guy im talking about is white. I can admit im wired that way. But ultimately i know that our abilities come from God. All humans have similar abilities to be great. Especially when it comes to thinking and brain power. Nobodies in a special class.

• Like 2

I think Okereke starts over Walker( and I like Walker) Adams will start at SAM. Then we still have Moore, Franklin, Speed, Banogu, and Walker to fill reserve roles. The linebacking core will be much better this year and it really wasn't that bad last year.