Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts draft Ben Banogu, LB, TCU

21isSuperman

3 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

SO frustrated we passed on AJ Brown for this guy. He screams developmental guy whereas I feel Brown can contribute right away. 

My guess is they saw the WR group sliding as a whole and hoped that either he or Metcalf would be there next.  Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

I would agree... seems more like a RDE than LDE. Although... word from his press-availability now is that the Colts were looking at him as a LB, which IMO is surprising. I will wait for Ballard's press-conference to hear what his plan for Banogu is. 

Agreed. That said he seems to be an elite run defender 35 TFL's in 2 years. Outstanding at chasing to the perimeter. I like him, he looks good lining up in the 5-tech. They lined up alot at 4i in their 3-4 defense which doesn't suit him at all... yet still had excellent production.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

My guess is they saw the WR group sliding as a whole and hoped that either he or Metcalf would be there next.  Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

I live in Valencia CA and nearby the College of the Canyons.  I remember watching Brown play for them as a freshman.  

He was a pure standout then.  Ran circles around the other players.

Best pass rusher left on the board.  The Colts now have two young pass rushers to learn from Houston for two years.  Hopefully they develop and if they do the Colts could have a nasty pass rush like they did with Freeney, Mathis, and Brock.  I don’t know if these three will be THAT good but if they are in the ball park the Colts are set.  

8 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Sounds like he could be a Leonard clone.

He can play different spots but I expect the Colts to utilize him primarily as an edge rusher.  He gets after the QB better than Darrius Leonard can.  More of a pure pass rusher.  Leonard has a more well rounded game. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think he’s going to be their “Van Noy” type player who plays all over the field.

Yep. Very similar to the way the seahawks used Bruce irvin and the Bronco's used von Miller before wade Phillips switched them to a 34

20 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

Ballard says they sees him more of a SAM, but he is versatile with pass rush. Will be interesting to watch him in the summer for sure.

I didn't see second round edge.

Second round project SAM is interesting.  If he's a player, that's fine.  It doesn't matter much in my book.

1 hour ago, Colt Overseas said:

Ballard says they sees him more of a SAM, but he is versatile with pass rush. Will be interesting to watch him in the summer for sure.

I don't see the value if that's how they see him... SAM is on the field for what? 30% of the snaps? 35? He better develop as a passrusher, because relying on him to return 2nd round value at SAM is foolish IMO.  

19 minutes ago, stitches said:

I don't see the value if that's how they see him... SAM is on the field for what? 30% of the snaps? 35? He better develop as a passrusher, because relying on him to return 2nd round value at SAM is foolish IMO.  

Yeah, I guess the SAM/situational pass rusher combo could be smart.  Crunk was calling for it with Shane Ray. 

2nd round?  Not sure.

I do think Leonard's success as a pass rusher might have opened people's minds up to some different possibilities.

5 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Me too.  I don't think they're great fits.  Rock and Ben are gonna be great in this locker room.

I just can't see being "good in the locker room" trumping talent. Talent/production just have to be the most important criteria for a selection. Sure, Hill-like behavior disqualifies you, but almost all NFL players behave decently. Winning contributes greatly to locker room culture.

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Well Ballard mentioned him as a Jamie Collins type LB/pass rusher. Ill take that

• Like 1

OK, he might be used as a lb or some kind of hybrid?

Well, all I know is that after watching several of his games, he is not a good pass rusher imo.  Has no bend and little technique of any kind and shows little burst off the snap which is strange given his athleticism. 

You can tell the athletic ability is there and he does better as a runner defender, but this high?  I don't know. 

As always, got to trust the pros.  Sitting here right now though, I don't like this pick, especially this high.