Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

csmopar

FA Agency Day 2 and beyond.

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Man Leanord looks really small. Especially for a NFL LBer. Cool that he's taking pics though. Now get your butt to eating and banging iron

 

Why? If only for durability, then sure. But he plays fast and incredible the size he is now. Not interested in seeing him jacked up, tbh. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TomDiggs said:

 

I am not saying I agree with this at all, but I did see an article which said in so many words that the Giants went from:

 

"Hey we can compete now"

 

- Drafted Barkley to help an aging Eli

- Invested in OL to protect aging Eli and run ball better (signed Solder, drafted Hernandez)

- Paid OBJ to prevent distraction and lock him in and make him happy

 

to realizing

 

"Wow, we are not close to competing. We truly need to rebuild"

 

This article mentioned that the moment it became clear they really must rebuild it made all the sense in the world to trade OBJ. If they are going to draft their QB of the future (and use Eli as a bridge), their management did not want that young QB having to deal w OBJ in his ear demanding the ball and being ticked off about the rebuild and them not winning/competing.

 

 

Again, I'm not saying I agree with this. I'd rather have a weapon like OBJ for my young QB to develop with, but if that was the logic and thought process then I get it.

 

Giants turn around and get Zeitler to further beef up their OL and now with grabbing Tate they still have some weapons.

 

If they take a new QB in the draft he at least has Saquon, Engram, Shepherd and Tate to throw to.

 

The question really amount to:

 

Would you trade OBJ (@ $18M a year)

 

for

 

1st Rd pick

3rd Rd pick

J. Peppers

G. Tate (@$9M a year)

 

 

when you lay it all out like that, it makes a bit more sense. I still would not have done it, but man it sounds like their entire management was just done with him and realized it too late. They should have moved him before his extension last year when they could have made a killing on dealing him.

 

 

 

Thanks , Great analysis.  I agree they should have moved him last year but I think they were still trying to win with him and Eli.  So they didn't do it.  Even this year they could have moved Collins at the deadline but did not and now they get nothing for him and they also trade Vernon.  Look at the dead cap money too.  I think Gettleman was the guy who moved Pierre Paul and caused more dead cap space a few years back.   He had to do something to get Eli a weapon to replace OBJ this year.  An aging receiver to go with an aging QB.  You are either rebuilding or you are not. To me it's like they are flying by the seat of their pants.  The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.  Thank God Gettleman is not our GM.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Blueblood23 said:

Clinton-Dix is now with the bears. Sure wish the Colts could have signed him.

 

He's on his 3rd team in five years for a reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MPStack said:

 

He's on his 3rd team in five years for a reason.

Signed for one year 3.6 mil. What would that reason be?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MPStack said:

 

He's on his 3rd team in five years for a reason.

He also plays the same position as Hooker I believe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MPStack said:

 

He's on his 3rd team in five years for a reason.

3rd team in half a season. Started 2018 with Packers, traded to Redskins, now at Bears.

Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

He also plays the same position as Hooker I believe

Yes. Competition is good but there is also wasted money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RNGDShobby said:

Still no QB in Miami...

How about Brissett for a 3rd. and Robert Quinn?  Taking Quinn really helps them with cap space.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

Signed for one year 3.6 mil. What would that reason be?

 

This quote came from a Packers message board in regards to Dixon after being traded to Washington.

 

The reality is this...No. 21 didn't play football.  Period.  An unwilling tackler and lacks instincts and intelligence in coverage.  Sometimes the Wonderlic doesn't lie....there is a reason he was around late in the 1st round and he proved it weekly.  Because he wasn't near contact enough, he wasn't going to get injured so the best way to jettison him was to a team that still thinks he has "name value".  He doesn't.....and if someone pays him a nickel to play football after this year, they're out of their minds.  The least competitive player the Packers franchise has had in 30 years.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is an out of the box thought.  As far as we know everything is quiet on the Gaethers front.  We offered him a one year prove it deal but he decided to test the market.  So far no interest we know of.   He is now seeing other safeties signing one year deals.  Now he is totally bummed out and not sure if he wants to play again.  He was seriously injured before and teams are staying away.  Maybe he does some soul searching and decides it's time to play it safe and start a new career.  Calls it quits.  I would say it's a long shot but entirely possible.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MPStack said:

 

This quote came from a Packers message board in regards to Dixon after being traded to Washington.

 

The reality is this...No. 21 didn't play football.  Period.  An unwilling tackler and lacks instincts and intelligence in coverage.  Sometimes the Wonderlic doesn't lie....there is a reason he was around late in the 1st round and he proved it weekly.  Because he wasn't near contact enough, he wasn't going to get injured so the best way to jettison him was to a team that still thinks he has "name value".  He doesn't.....and if someone pays him a nickel to play football after this year, they're out of their minds.  The least competitive player the Packers franchise has had in 30 years.

 

 

Wow. That's a damning comment. They replaced Amos with this guy? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Here is an out of the box thought.  As far as we know everything is quiet on the Gaethers front.  We offered him a one year prove it deal but he decided to test the market.  So far no interest we know of.   He is now seeing other safeties signing one year deals.  Now he is totally bummed out and not sure if he wants to play again.  He was seriously injured before and teams are staying away.  Maybe he does some soul searching and decides it's time to play it safe and start a new career.  Calls it quits.  I would say it's a long shot but entirely possible.  

I have a feeling he will be a Colt in 2019 ala Anthony Barr with the Vikings and Teddy Bridgewater In NO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, MPStack said:

 

This quote came from a Packers message board in regards to Dixon after being traded to Washington.

 

The reality is this...No. 21 didn't play football.  Period.  An unwilling tackler and lacks instincts and intelligence in coverage.  Sometimes the Wonderlic doesn't lie....there is a reason he was around late in the 1st round and he proved it weekly.  Because he wasn't near contact enough, he wasn't going to get injured so the best way to jettison him was to a team that still thinks he has "name value".  He doesn't.....and if someone pays him a nickel to play football after this year, they're out of their minds.  The least competitive player the Packers franchise has had in 30 years.

 

 

Sounds like that poster would be besties with me

 

  :sarcasm::lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How does anyone know we offered Geathers a one year deal? I haven’t seen any proof of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

How does anyone know we offered Geathers a one year deal? I haven’t seen any proof of that.

The post by RP was the first I had heard it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Here is an out of the box thought.  As far as we know everything is quiet on the Gaethers front.  We offered him a one year prove it deal but he decided to test the market.  So far no interest we know of.   He is now seeing other safeties signing one year deals.  Now he is totally bummed out and not sure if he wants to play again.  He was seriously injured before and teams are staying away.  Maybe he does some soul searching and decides it's time to play it safe and start a new career.  Calls it quits.  I would say it's a long shot but entirely possible.  

 

How does anyone know we offered a 1-year prove it deal?

 

Source?     Link?       Or hunch?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Apologies if this has been posted and I missed it....

 

But I saw somewhere that Dorsett re-signed with New England.    So, Belichick, who has had him for two years and knows him,  likes him enough to bring him back to the Pats.

 

Good for the kid....   

 

I saw no details on the contract.    Just happy that he signed somewhere good...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

How about Brissett for a 3rd. and Robert Quinn?  Taking Quinn really helps them with cap space.   

 

So, if I understand you correctly?

 

Brissett is supposed to bring us a 3 and, AND Robert Quinn?

 

Seriously?

 

Wow....    just...  Holy Cow,  Wow!

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

So, if I understand you correctly?

 

Brissett is supposed to bring us a 3 and, AND Robert Quinn?

 

Seriously?

 

Wow....    just...  Holy Cow,  Wow!

 

 

 

 

It's been his thing with Brissett since the beginning of last season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, MPStack said:

 

This quote came from a Packers message board in regards to Dixon after being traded to Washington.

 

The reality is this...No. 21 didn't play football.  Period.  An unwilling tackler and lacks instincts and intelligence in coverage.  Sometimes the Wonderlic doesn't lie....there is a reason he was around late in the 1st round and he proved it weekly.  Because he wasn't near contact enough, he wasn't going to get injured so the best way to jettison him was to a team that still thinks he has "name value".  He doesn't.....and if someone pays him a nickel to play football after this year, they're out of their minds.  The least competitive player the Packers franchise has had in 30 years.

 

 

Wow that is some bad rap on him. I was led to believe they traded him because the Packers didn't believe they could sign him after the Rodgers contract. Dix didn't want to sign with Washington so he became a free agent. I guess he thought a big contract was on the way to him, but your post may be accurate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, MPStack said:

 

He's on his 3rd team in five years for a reason.

 

Desir on his 4th. Colts were Sheard's 3rd team as well.

 

I don't think guys changing teams is necessarily a bad thing. Until the middle of last season...he had played on one team. 

 

I didn't like what I saw against DAL...but it seemed liked no one on WAS was trying that game. Seems like a good change of scenery guy.

 

And for the price tag, I would have been happy to bring him. I believe his price tag was $.6 more than Farley.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, shastamasta said:

 

Desir on his 4th. Colts were Sheard's 3rd team as well.

 

I don't think guys changing teams is necessarily a bad thing. Until the middle of last season...he had played on one team. 

 

I didn't like what I saw against DAL...but it seemed liked no one on WAS was trying that game. Seems like a good change of scenery guy.

 

And for the price tag, I would have been happy to bring him. I believe his price tag was $.6 more than Farley.

 

 

 

Desir and Sheard weren't 1st Rd picks. I don't like your comparison here,  but won't argue with your thoughts on Dixon.

 

I used to assume years back, guy was a 1st Rd pick, well he must be really good, but that's not always the case.

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

Wow that is some bad rap on him. I was led to believe they traded him because the Packers didn't believe they could sign him after the Rodgers contract. Dix didn't want to sign with Washington so he became a free agent. I guess he thought a big contract was on the way to him, but your post may be accurate.

 

Wait...are other teams' message boards now considered proof of something?

 

Because there are plenty of posts on CAR message boards in regards to Funchess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MPStack said:

 

Desir and Sheard weren't 1st Rd picks. I don't like your comparison here,  but won't argue with your thoughts on Dixon.

 

I used to assume years back, guy was a 1st Rd pick, well he must be really good, but that's not always the case.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Gotcha. Yeah...it's definitely not the case. Vaccaro is another example.

 

I do think post-hype guys can provide big value...but you have to get somewhat lucky (like BUF did with Hughes). Most of those guys never amount to much more than decent players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

 

Wait...are other teams' message boards now considered proof of something?

 

Because there are plenty of posts on CAR message boards in regards to Funchess.

The Lions message boards from fans were calling Ebron a bum and said he sucked, they were thrilled to get rid of him. They were laughing at us for signing him. How did that work out? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

 

Wait...are other teams' message boards now considered proof of something?

 

Because there are plenty of posts on CAR message boards in regards to Funchess.

I have no idea if it's proof or not. We can all surmise what the reasons are since none of us are insiders. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

 

Wait...are other teams' message boards now considered proof of something?

Absolutely not!

10 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Because there are plenty of posts on CAR message boards in regards to Funchess.

 

Probably not encouraging lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Blueblood23 said:

I have no idea if it's proof or not. We can all surmise what the reasons are since none of us are insiders. 

 

I was mostly just kidding. Other teams' message boards are mine fields of hot takes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

How does anyone know we offered a 1-year prove it deal?

 

Source?     Link?       Or hunch?

 

Do we know it for sure?  Of course not. We won't know until something happens.  But all you have to do is read Kevin Bowens article March 4th entitled  "Colts want Clayton Gaethers Back"  to put 2 and 2 together.  He will never tell you what he's offering a player but in the article "Ballard agreed with the assessment that the Colts could handle his contract like they did with Mewhort" Referencing a one year prove it deal.  In the article and interview Ballard said a similar sort of deal for Gaethers is something Ballard said could happen.  Everyone says Ballard has always been honest and upfront on what he's thinking and how he approaches players and FA.  It looks like Ballard was pretty clear on where he was leaning towards an offer for Gaethers without coming right out and saying it.  He wouldn't do that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

 

I was mostly just kidding. Other teams' message boards are mine fields of hot takes.

I just went and read the panthers board for fun. Wow the hate for funchess. I imagine the lions board was like that with Ebron.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I just went and read the panthers board for fun. Wow the hate for funchess. I imagine the lions board was like that with Ebron.

With the exception of a couple of players (Richardson) most of us wish them well when they leave the Colts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

 

Why? If only for durability, then sure. But he plays fast and incredible the size he is now. Not interested in seeing him jacked up, tbh. 

Playing is fast is good. But getting swollowed up by blockers or ran over by rb's is part of the stuff I saw that needed improved big time. Being bigger/stronger could help with those areas. But not to the point that it effected his speed and explosiveness 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Do we know it for sure?  Of course not. We won't know until something happens.  But all you have to do is read Kevin Bowens article March 4th entitled  "Colts want Clayton Gaethers Back"  to put 2 and 2 together.  He will never tell you what he's offering a player but in the article "Ballard agreed with the assessment that the Colts could handle his contract like they did with Mewhort" Referencing a one year prove it deal.  In the article and interview Ballard said a similar sort of deal for Gaethers is something Ballard said could happen.  Everyone says Ballard has always been honest and upfront on what he's thinking and how he approaches players and FA.  It looks like Ballard was pretty clear on where he was leaning towards an offer for Gaethers without coming right out and saying it.  He wouldn't do that.  

 

Ok....   THAT is a fair and reasonable response.   Point noted.

 

Good post.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

How about Brissett for a 3rd. and Robert Quinn?  Taking Quinn really helps them with cap space.   

 

 Quinn has no guaranteed $$$, so they can cut him and bank 11-12 M.
Dumping him does make great sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The Lions message boards from fans were calling Ebron a bum and said he sucked, they were thrilled to get rid of him. They were laughing at us for signing him. How did that work out? 

The Lions message board should start a new thread about their coaches and GM sucking. 

Ebron's catch % was actually lower in Indy (60ish%) from Luck, than it was in Detroit from Stafford (67ish%).

 

The difference is Reich used him differently and targeted Ebron 21 times in the RZ last year, instead of the 7ish average RZ targets he got in Detroit per year.

 

Detroit fans should ask why 5 Detroit players were targeted more than Ebron in the RZ... Pretty stupid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

The Lions message board should start a new thread about their coaches and GM sucking. 

Ebron's catch % was actually lower in Indy (60ish%) from Luck, than it was in Detroit from Stafford (67ish%).

 

The difference is Reich used him differently and targeted Ebron 21 times in the RZ last year, instead of the 7ish average RZ targets he got in Detroit per year.

 

Detroit fans should ask why 5 Detroit players were targeted more than Ebron in the RZ... Pretty stupid.

I get it but some of the comments I read off their board were hilarious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I get it but some of the comments I read off their board were hilarious.

I had to laugh! I saw a video where they were calling him "E Drop" for how much he dropped the ball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, NewEra said:

Playing is fast is good. But getting swollowed up by blockers or ran over by rb's is part of the stuff I saw that needed improved big time. Being bigger/stronger could help with those areas. But not to the point that it effected his speed and explosiveness 

 

Playing fast is literally the key to this defense and what Leonard was brough in for (and why he was an all-pro his rookie year.) I doubt they will push him to pack on the lbs. Very seriously. Maybe he can add a little on his frame without sacrificing speed. But he'll get better at shedding nfl blocks with experience and a better and more disruptive defensive line will only free him up more. That is what Ballard will continue to focus on, and it'll all be good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...