Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

FA Agency Day 2 and beyond.

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

P.S. -- by the way,  for the record,  I would LOVE to trade JB.   But only in a deal that makes sense for us,  and with a good plan for the next back-up,  which for me,  is obviously a veteran,  and not a rookie.

I'd support paying handsomely (1-2 year deal) for somebody like Fitzpatrick if we trade Brissett.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I'd gladly have us pay handsomely (1-2 year deal) for somebody like Fitzpatrick if we trade Brissett.

I'm guessing that guys like that need $5-6 Mill per to sign.

I'd be willing to do that on a 2-year deal for any of them.    Wouldn't make a dent in our budget.

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Come on now!

Youre comparing Jimmy G,  drafted in the 2nd round with some rookie we'd take in R's 6 or 7 and think that's the same caliber of QB?     You know that's not the case.    And remember,  this is not a great class of QB's, so a guy taken that late in the draft is not going to be helpful this year, odds are.

I just don't see the objection to a veteran.   Why are some many giddy with the idea of drafting a QB this year?    We need to draft a WR, an OL, perhaps a TE,  perhaps a RB.    And now, a QB?   On the offensive side priority list,  it's hard to see a QB being very high.    And we haven't even started talking about drafting defensive players yet,  which we need,  and which this is a great draft for defense.     We only have so many darts to throw in the draft.    Why spend one in the draft when we can fill the need with a quality veteran FA.    Don't you want a veteran at the most important offensive position?     If Luck goes down for 2-4 weeks,  don't you want some veteran and not an untested rookie to fill that spot?

Nobody is objecting to a vet QB. If they go that route...that's fine.

This was all based on the earlier tweet that they were updating their QB evals in advance of the draft...which would imply they could draft a QB...and that a rookie backup QB is a route they could go.

Of course they could also put that QB on PS and sign a vet...who knows. I would think, at the very least, there would be a camp battle for that spot between a rookie and a vet...Ballard isn't going to just give someone that job.

Here is a couple of recent examples:

2018 - Steelers drafted Mason Rudolph and he won the backup spot as as rookie

2017 - Cowboys' UDFA Cooper Rush wins the backup QB. The following year he competes with 5th round pick Mike White.

Whatever they decide to do...I am cool with it. I could just see them going the draft route.

30 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

No,  I'm not.    I never, ever mind that another poster has a different opinion than I do.   

I only mind when they can't present a rationale explanation for what they want to do.    And that's never been a problem for you in all the years I've been here.    You're a long time favorite of mine.  One of the top posters here.    You make great arguments on all sorts of issues and threads and posts.    I love talking football with you in all circumstances.

But in this thread,  I barely recognize you.   The arguments are not typical of you, IMO.   And that's meant actually as a compliment.     You're super smart,  but I don't see a smart argument from you in this thread.

P.S. -- by the way,  for the record,  I would LOVE to trade JB.   But only in a deal that makes sense for us,  and with a good plan for the next back-up,  which for me,  is obviously a veteran,  and not a rookie.

Thanks...I guess. I didn't realize that drafting a QB prospect in this draft with the idea that he could be the backup QB next year was such a controversial opinion.

59 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Both Miami's HC and GM came from New England where Brissett started his NFL career.

Also,  and perhaps importantly,  JB comes with a very big endorsement from Bill Parcels,  who was coached both NE and Miami in his career and is a big fan of JB.    All those are the connections you're talking about.

Fins GM (Chris Grier) did come from NE but that was almost 20 years ago, pre-Belichick.

There are connections though, no doubt.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Thanks...I guess. I didn't realize that drafting a QB prospect in this draft with the idea that he could be the backup QB next year was such a controversial opinion.

Come one now...

It ISN'T a controversial opinion.

But once you started comparing the late round QB you want us to draft with Jimmy G (2nd round) and then Mason Rudolph (3rd round)  you kinda lost me.    The arguments made less and less sense.

And then you added the part about can't keeping change out the veteran back up without an explanation.    It's done all the time in the NFL,  by all 32 teams.     And this can't be news to you.

It all felt like you've been grasping at straws.    Very, very unlike you. 

As for the....   "Thanks,  I guess".     I call you one of the top posters in the community and you're struggling to see that as a compliment?    Really?    I rave about you for a long paragraph and you're not convinced of my sincerity?     Really?     Look, the worst I've said about you is that this is a strange or even bad thread for you.     That's it.    Hardly a big insult.    Any thread you're in is a better thread for you being in it.    I don't toss around these kind of compliments all that lightly.   I say what I mean and mean what I say.    You're a great guy,  great poster.    I'm just scratching my head over one thread.    Really,  that's it.

3 minutes ago, Finball said:

Fins GM (Chris Grier) did come from NE but that was almost 20 years ago, pre-Belichick.

There are connections though, no doubt.

Thanks....   good info.

Makes me wonder if Grier has a connection to Parcels who is a huge fan of JB?

Just thinking out loud.      Appreciate the good 411.

52 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't know why the thought of drafting a rookie QB, especially if we are trading Brissett is so foreign to you? This is exactly what the Pats have been doing... every second year it seems they are drafting a new QB and trying to develop him and then flipping him for picks/players when his contract is up. 

Having a young QB on cheap deal at all times is a good thing. You can never have enough bites at the apple. In fact, if we trade Brissett, I almost think we MUST draft a QB. Now depending on how much we like him and how high we draft him and how quick we expect him to be ready'ish, we might indeed need to get a vet QB in addition to the rookie, but yah... I don't think it's that much of a stretch to think that drafting a QB is reasonable... 

(all that with the disclaimer that there is a QB that we actually like in the draft)

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks....   good info.

Makes me wonder if Grier has a connection to Parcels who is a huge fan of JB?

Just thinking out loud.      Appreciate the good 411.

He was a scout with the Pats 95-96 when Parcells was the HC. Hard to tell from that what kind of connection they have or how strong it is.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Come one now...

It ISN'T a controversial opinion.

But once you started comparing the late round QB you want us to draft with Jimmy G (2nd round) and then Mason Rudolph (3rd round)  you kinda lost me.    The arguments made less and less sense.

And then you added the part about can't keeping change out the veteran back up without an explanation.    It's done all the time in the NFL,  by all 32 teams.     And this can't be news to you.

It all felt like you've been grasping at straws.    Very, very unlike you. 

As for the....   "Thanks,  I guess".     I call you one of the top posters in the community and you're struggling to see that as a compliment?    Really?    I rave about you for a long paragraph and you're not convinced of my sincerity?     Really?     Look, the worst I've said about you is that this is a strange or even bad thread for you.     That's it.    Hardly a big insult.    Any thread you're in is a better thread for you being in it.    I don't toss around these kind of compliments all that lightly.   I say what I mean and mean what I say.    You're a great guy,  great poster.    I'm just scratching my head over one thread.    Really,  that's it.

NCF...I do appreciate the kind words. My whole argument stemmed from a comment you made about teams not betting on a rookie backup QB. But they have. Obviously, whomever that player is (Day Two Pick, Day Three pick, UDFA) would have to win that spot in camp. But the Colts would draft one with the idea that that QB prospect could. 

I think there is value to getting a player into the system right now...and developing him...instead of trying to find a vet QB each year...who already knows the system...or has to be taught it. 

This is precisely what the Colts did with Sorgi. But I think Ballard might be more keen on getting a guy that he could potentially flip in a few years.

7 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

NCF...I do appreciate the kind words. My whole argument stemmed from a comment you made about teams not betting on a rookie backup QB. But they have. Obviously, whomever that player is (Day Two Pick, Day Three pick, UDFA) would have to win that spot in camp. But the Colts would draft one with the idea that that QB prospect could. 

I think there is value to getting a player into the system right now...and developing him...instead of trying to find a vet QB each year...who already knows the system...or has to be taught it. 

This is precisely what the Colts did with Sorgi. But I think Ballard might be more keen on getting a guy that he could potentially flip in a few years.

It's hard to flip a guy in a few years if he doesn't play.   And we all hope our back-up never plays until it's clean-up time and by then,  you typically turn and hand the ball off to a RB who plows into the line to run out the clock.

All the back-up would have is pre-season work and that's not much to flip with.    We were able to generate value for Brissett because he played 15 games with only a tiny bit of time to get up to speed.     THAT was very impressive.     But JB lost some value when he basically sat on the bench all of last year.    He was unable to show any improvement.    Drafting a late QB in order to flip is easier said than done.    JB was a Day 2 pick who was able to demonstrate some ability due to playing 4 games with NE and 15 with us a two seasons ago.     But turning a late round pick into something good is the longest of longshots.

11 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

This is precisely what the Colts did with Sorgi.

You were doing so well.  So well.  Lol

Honestly, I'm not sure how to best play the backup QB game.  As far as I can tell, there isn't a right answer.

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

By the way,  and not for nothing....     I've been meaning to add this for a while now, but life keeps getting in the way....

When I'm handing out these compliments and I say this isn't a good thread for you,   it should go without saying that ALL OF US have a bad thread every now and then.    You can't post a lot on fans message board without somehow manaing to step in it from time to time.

So that includes me,  it includes @Superman, who I think is the best here,  it includes all of us!

Believe me,  I still remember being furious at Frank Reich for going for the first down on 4th and 4 against Houston and coming up short.   I went on a rant, a tirade here that was one for the books!    I had to be talked down off the ledge by a large number of posters.    I was smokin furious!     And, of course, the next day,  Reich explained himself,  owned it like a boss,  and I felt like the biggest * in the world.    I should've seen it coming.   I should've held off until I got an explanation.    I shoulda, I shoulda,  I shoulda.    I was a world class fool!.    I hate self-inflicted wounds and I nearly blew my own damn leg off.     What?    Was?    I?   Thinking?

Of course, I get the added embarrassment of Ballard liking the move,  but LOVING how Reich handled it afterwards.    And Ballard did indeed LOVE Reich's explanation and the way he dealt with it.    So,  it's the pebble in my shoe that reminds me of my own foolisness.     Serves me right!

Hopes this adds some needed perspective on our exchanges today..... 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, #12. said:

You were doing so well.  So well.  Lol

Honestly, I'm not sure how to best play the backup QB game.  As far as I can tell, there isn't a right answer.

Haha...nobody really does...they are backup QBs for a reason. Which is why I would prefer to have a guy developing behind Luck.

But teams take all kinds of different approaches to it. All I have been saying is drafting a guy to be a backup QB and plugging him has been done...and it wouldn't surprise me if Ballard did the same.

32 minutes ago, csmopar said:

At this rate, Miami will have to roll out a kicker or a punter as QB haha

What about a Preseason Street Tryout 

A few years back UKWBB had an all-call tryout to fill out their roster and last year NDWBB promoted a manager to the game roster due to injuries

8 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

What about a Preseason Street Tryout 

A few years back UKWBB had an all-call tryout to fill out their roster and last year NDWBB promoted a manager to the game roster due to injuries

So, are were talking this type of situation?

v1.aDszMjEyO2o7MTgwMDA7MTIwMDs3MDA7NTg0

or this type? :)

the_comebacks_movie_image_david_koechner

3 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Oh...if he broke a 3 year olds arm, he would b lucky to play ever again in the NFL  .  The back lash would b to much for the NFL to simply push aside. 

Adrian Peterson seems to be still around..  

MMQB just published an article tonight titled "What are the Dolphins Options at QB after trading Ryan Tannehill?"  They reviewed many options including Rosen, Kap and many others.  The article concluded that trading for Jacoby Brissett is probably Miami's best option heading into the weekend.  They feel in 2017 he played better than statistics show and they said he's a plodder like Case Keenum and Eli Manning in regards to avg. passing yards.   Let's see if Ballard can help turn Miami's QB need into a win win for both sides. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This is crazy. Did he just want to stay in CA.

Interesting. Thanks for the post.

Might mean that his market did not shape up how he thought it would and that many fans and industry pundits did not know how much scrutiny teams had for these FA WRs.

It was widely considered a poor year for FA WRs, specifically outside guys that are not slot-mavens.

I do find it odd that it claims everywhere that there are $22M in guarantees and yet this breakdown shows there's only $10M. Even the contract details on Spotrac say "Total guaranteed: $22M" when it appears nothing is guaranteed other than what was guaranteed at signing which is only $10M. Odd.

Good deal for Oakland.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Shepman said:

All the Hill comments nees to be moved to different thread in NFL General mods.  This is not relative to free agency and wastes space.

I removed the conversation about Tyreek Hill.  I couldn't split it off into another thread because there were on-topic posts mixed in. I would have had to remove those as well

• Like 2