Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Autry Slapped with 13k Fine

pacolts56

26 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

Autry has been great this year, a great FA signing, but that dancing really hacked me off.

Celebrating like that when we are getting whooped was just ridiculous. 

I agree 

I feel as if it was an unnecessary penalty and he should have known better. I hope the fine kinda makes him think about the task on hand in the future instead of trying to get a tuck from the ref.  

13 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

I’m kinda tired of the whole celebration thing, including the “group snapshot”, coreographed nonsense and players separating themselves after a tackle and pounding their chest. 

The Autry thing was just foolish. 

Nothing wrong with high fives or showing emotions but this other stuff is reminiscent of WWE. 

Totally agree.  I always thought you should only celebrate on D after stopping a drive, never after 1st or 2nd down.  

i don’t mind the group pic when you score if you’re winning.  But I could do without all the preplanned stuff.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveA1102 said:

Autry has been great this year, a great FA signing, but that dancing really hacked me off.

Celebrating like that when we are getting whooped was just ridiculous. 

18 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Totally agree.  I always thought you should only celebrate on D after stopping a drive, never after 1st or 2nd down.  

i don’t mind the group pic when you score if you’re winning.  But I could do without all the preplanned stuff.  

Same here....  there was plenty to be disappointed about by the time Autry busted out in this dance and it is one of many “teaching moments” available for Reich and this young team.

Exuberance is a good thing.... but it does look ridiculous when you’re losing the way we were.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pacolts56 said:

Same here....  there was plenty to be disappointed about by the time Autry busted out in this dance and it is one of many “teaching moments” available for Reich and this young team.

Exuberance is a good thing.... but it does look ridiculous when you’re losing the way we were.

That was after stopping a drive and it was a nonsense call to boot.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

I’m kinda tired of the whole celebration thing, including the “group snapshot”, coreographed nonsense and players separating themselves after a tackle and pounding their chest. 

Nothing wrong with high fives or showing emotions but this other stuff is reminiscent of WWE. 

I agree.  I kind of like the choreographed team 'non-sense' a little more than the players separating themselves from the team, mainly because this is supposed to be the greatest team sport on the planet and it seems as though many in the NFL are now more out to 'build their brand' rather than win football games (see Antonio Brown, O'Dell Beckham, etc.).  There area few exceptions, including TY's signature T.Y. dance.  In large part, I think this is just the nature of the younger generation ('show me the money').

That said, not many things are more frustrating than watching players celebrate when they are losing, especially when it's to the point where they're drawing a 15 yard penalty on the play.  

4 hours ago, Smonroe said:

To his credit, Autry's tackle was on a 4th down stop.  Still, we had to start backed up  15 yards from where he made the stop and we were losing pretty heavily at the time.

There were times with our group snapshots this year which I thought were kind of cool in some respects.  For example, Jacoby Brissett is in most (maybe all) of them.  I thought that showed we have a good connection as a team in general.

The times when I actually really do like player celebrations are when they really boost the team and get momentum going...  2 examples from the Colts are Luck's emphatic spike after his crazy TD when we came back from 28 over the Chiefs:  

And when Marvin spiked the ball of Mike Vrabel's face after his amazing catch in week 9 of the 2006 season.  This was after everyone was calling Indy soft and saying we couldn't get by the Pats... Marv doing that (IMO) was well worth the 15 yards, as it set the tone for the rest of that game and I think let people know that we weren't backing down from NE anymore (we wound up beating them in the AFC Championship that same year):

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HarryTheCat said:

I guess I'm just old school, but I hate those "signature" sack dances and all of the end zone touchdown choreography. If you want to celebrate a touchdown with chest bumps and high fives, fine. If you want to dance, go join the ballet. 

You may be surprised at how many actually do take dancing lessons and such.

4 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

Well with all the rule changes and ect. the NFL is becoming more ENTERTAINMENT (WWE like) then being a game of MEN compared to the past. Pretty soon it will be flag football or SIMULATED game play of practice dummies.

15 minutes ago, strt182 said:

Well with all the rule changes and ect. the NFL is becoming more ENTERTAINMENT (WWE like) then being a game of MEN compared to the past. Pretty soon it will be flag football or SIMULATED game play of practice dummies.

I don't think we're too far off from the NFL going to "two-hand touch" football. But players today are a lot bigger, stronger and faster than they were a few decades ago, and collisions are far more violent. I'm old enough to remember when a 300-lb. offensive lineman was considered a freak. 

These are the things that make me laugh at the league when they say they are all about player safety.  They flag and fine Autry for dancing but Sony Michel lowering his head and giving Geathers a concussion earlier this year isn’t flagged or fined.  Sorry NFL I don’t buy you are about player safety.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CurBeatElite said:

I agree.  I kind of like the choreographed team 'non-sense' a little more than the players separating themselves from the team, mainly because this is supposed to be the greatest team sport on the planet and it seems as though many in the NFL are now more out to 'build their brand' rather than win football games (see Antonio Brown, O'Dell Beckham, etc.).  There area few exceptions, including TY's signature T.Y. dance.  In large part, I think this is just the nature of the younger generation ('show me the money').

That said, not many things are more frustrating than watching players celebrate when they are losing, especially when it's to the point where they're drawing a 15 yard penalty on the play.  

To his credit, Autry's tackle was on a 4th down stop.  Still, we had to start backed up  15 yards from where he made the stop and we were losing pretty heavily at the time.

There were times with our group snapshots this year which I thought were kind of cool in some respects.  For example, Jacoby Brissett is in most (maybe all) of them.  I thought that showed we have a good connection as a team in general.

The times when I actually really do like player celebrations are when they really boost the team and get momentum going...  2 examples from the Colts are Luck's emphatic spike after his crazy TD when we came back from 28 over the Chiefs:  

And when Marvin spiked the ball of Mike Vrabel's face after his amazing catch in week 9 of the 2006 season.  This was after everyone was calling Indy soft and saying we couldn't get by the Pats... Marv doing that (IMO) was well worth the 15 yards, as it set the tone for the rest of that game and I think let people know that we weren't backing down from NE anymore (we wound up beating them in the AFC Championship that same year):

AGreat day to watch that video, and that Spike that hit Vrabel was Awesome.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, pacolts56 said:

Given the nature of the dance, the least that ref could have done is “tuck in” a twenty. :lol:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001011669/article/roundup-colts-denico-autry-fined-13k-for-sack-dance

Yes. And the ref was a 'gentlemen' obeying house rules and never physically touched Autry. haha

• Like 1

I agree with the call. It's not like he was celebrating. He was talking % to the ref and you should expect no less than a flag in that situation. And that call really hurt the Colts offense that was having issues getting things going.

A fine? A bit excessive imo. First you tell players they can celebrate and then you fine them after they do.

But what do you expect from the entertainment industry.

On 1/20/2019 at 4:37 PM, NannyMcafee said:

I agree with the call. It's not like he was celebrating. He was talking % to the ref and you should expect no less than a flag in that situation. And that call really hurt the Colts offense that was having issues getting things going.

I agree that the "dance" was directed at the ref who was ignoring holding by the chiefs O-line all day long. Autry was held and STILL got the sack, so yeah, it was stupid, but I can see where it came from.