Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Gameplanning for KC

ColtStrong2013

20 minutes ago, cbear said:

Pass rush scares me the most.  We are just so inconsistent with the four man rush and our blitz package yesterday was quite pedestrian.  We can't let Mahomes survey the field and have the time to make big plays.  

We have to limit his time and force him to dink and dunk down the field. 

The dink and dunk worries me as well. Colts did a good job against HOU...but Miller and Coutee both did a great job in the short passing game. Well, Damien Williams is just as effective as Miller and Hill is better than Coutee.

If the Colts play well, “they’ll be fine” as TY likes to say.

The Colts are “getting better every week” I know by now, it’s a cliche but I’ve got faith in the following:

Frank Reich’s game planning 

The play of the Oline 

Our run game

Andrew Luck

Our ability to stop the run and take away the big play.

An improving secondary  

The Colts are going to have to play their best but they are trending up

As far as deferring, I found an interesting article that basically says there is no statistical advantage to deferring but it provides at least a chance of getting that double possession.

Belichick has only taken the ball twice, since they’ve changed the rule and this year, 82.5 % of teams that win the toss defer.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.si.com/2016/01/14/nfl-coin-toss-deferral-patriots-bill-belichick

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

There  is no way to know who will have the ball last at the end of the first half. If you have a chance to take the lead right off the bat it can change everything. From the crowd to the players mind sets. If KC Was a crappy offense you defintly would defer. 

You can to an extent with calling timeouts and the right offense that can have methodical drives.  Patriots do it all the time. I think this offense can too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Yep. If we can run the ball and stay balanced and limit their processions we will be in great shape. I don’t think their defense is as good as the Texans.

You can't really limit their possessions, but you can limit their time of possession by forcing 3-and-outs. That, combined with time-consuming, balanced Colts drives should do the trick.

33 minutes ago, #12. said:

How are they going to stop us?  Their D is terrible.  People say we have to score more than 21.  Well, 21 vs. Houston probably equals 35 vs. KC.  We just played two of the best defenses in the league the past two weeks and pretty much had our way.  

I think we're capable of winning this game in a number of ways.  We can win a physical game, but if it turns crazy, Luck could win it 45-44, too.  

Just play our game - win the line of scrimmage and execute.

I see what you did there with that score.

Colts are going to beat K.C.  The O-line and Marlon Mack are going to get their first 200 yard/ game RB.  In doing so, with limit Mahomes on how much he hits the field.  And even when he does, Mahomes will be forced to do something he's not used to.  Colts will do to him what they've done to everyone. Check down , and and make 12+ play drives to score.  Indy is #3 in the NFL in allowing 20+ yard plays.  They don't allow big plays, but the Chiefs live and die on it.  They'll die from it this game/

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Sort of (Sterling Shepard comes to mind). But both Cook and Engram had good games...and those are the two TEs the Colts have faced in months that are anywhere close to what Kelce is.

Nobody matches up with Kelce...so they are going to have give him a lot of extra attention.

Yeah, they have multiple guys that can break any play, so we can’t just blanket him. Watkins should be back, and we know about Hill.  I still think they’re not as good as they were with Hunt.   I suspect they’ll have Desir on him a lot due to his size. 

This is going to be fun to watch.  Like a 4th of July fireworks show.  

18 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Colts are going to beat K.C.  The O-line and Marlon Mack are going to get their first 200 yard/ game RB.  In doing so, with limit Mahomes on how much he hits the field.  And even when he does, Mahomes will be forced to do something he's not used to.  Colts will do to him what they've done to everyone. Check down , and and make 12+ play drives to score.  Indy is #3 in the NFL in allowing 20+ yard plays.  They don't allow big plays, but the Chiefs live and die on it.  They'll die from it this game/

Do have an official breakdown yet?

Just now, adubb84 said:

Do have an official breakdown yet?

No, I don't start my breakdowns until Mona. That is when i do my in depth research.  I may start researching tonight though.

Shame i can't share it on here.  But you guys have my twitter, and know where my site is.  Also, I just joined Pulse podcast network.  So I now host their Colts coverage podcast as well.

1 minute ago, Lawrence Owen said:

No, I don't start my breakdowns until Mona. That is when i do my in depth research.  I may start researching tonight though.

Shame i can't share it on here.  But you guys have my twitter, and know where my site is.  Also, I just joined Pulse podcast network.  So I now host their Colts coverage podcast as well.

Awesome! I enjoy reading them :D in depth, not overly long and helpful for those that may not fully understand the game. Can I get the link?

1 hour ago, #12. said:

How are they going to stop us?  Their D is terrible.  People say we have to score more than 21.  Well, 21 vs. Houston probably equals 35 vs. KC.  We just played two of the best defenses in the league the past two weeks and pretty much had our way.  

I think we're capable of winning this game in a number of ways.  We can win a physical game, but if it turns crazy, Luck could win it 45-44, too.  

Just play our game - win the line of scrimmage and execute.

We'll have a balanced approach that will open up the run game as the game goes on... We want to break the will of this defense and crowd by running it down their throat, chewing up clock, and scoring touchdowns. They will get their points. But at our pace, not theirs. 

5 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

Awesome! I enjoy reading them :D in depth, not overly long and helpful for those that may not fully understand the game. Can I get the link?

Do you have twitter? I can give you my twitter handle.  I post all my write-up's and future podcast's on that.  Or I can just give you the link of my FPC coverage site.  (I'm not the only writer there.)

12 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Has anyone read the chiefs fan forum. It is hillarious. If we beat them they are going to be in melt down mode. They are giving us no respect and saying how bad luck is. 

If I followed a team with such a horrible playoff record, I'd be hiding in my shell until they actually won the game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Maniac said:

If I followed a team with such a horrible playoff record, I'd be hiding in my shell until they actually won the game.

1 minute ago, Maniac said:

Especially when they basically have a rookie QB. The young guns are not fairing very well so far.

23 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

No twitter unfortunately. The link to the site would be perfect! 

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Especially when they basically have a rookie QB. The young guns are not fairing very well so far.

Mahomes is on a whole different level to Jackson and Watson, though. I don't think the occasion will get to him.

Their defense is very suspect to say the least. I believe that if the Colts are able to run the ball consistently, they have a good chance. Mack will be very important, as will Hines catching the ball out of the back field. We should mix Wilkins in consistently too, he's been good the last two weeks. That way we control the clock, let our defense fresh and impose our rythym on them.

On defense I believe Eberflus will throw in some blitzes and create pressure with stunts and etc. Also, we created at least one turnover in every game but one, and I believe we'll do it again this week, we will capitalize on Mahomes inexperience in the playoffs.

They are a one trick poney team, we are a well balanced one. We'll take advantage on that.

We are going to watch a great game next saturday guys, lets hope that we come out on top. 

8 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Any predictions on what the talking heads will predict this game? Will any pick the colts? Will they predict a blowout or a close game?

I'm not sure how many, if any will pick us to win, but I am betting none of them are going to say this will be easy for the Chiefs. I'd say we impressed people last night, and many will take us seriously... and they should. 

Look, we just ran all over the #1 nfl rushing defense. In the playoffs. At their place. 

KC has the 31st rushing defense. Not one logical person will look at this and not be concerned for the Chiefs.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Luck12-to-Hilton13 said:

Double Tyreke Hill and let Kelce beat us. Kelce is more then capable of doing so. But I rather have him beat us then the one big play ability of Hill. One catch can go for 70-80 yards with him and a TD. All the reason more why the offense has to play ALL four quarters. A 21-0 lead on the Chiefs can evaporate just like that with their big play, quick strike ability. I honestly don't expect neither team's D to play well in this one. I guess its whoever can score the most points. And right now that favors KC. 

If we get out to a 21-0 lead on them I think there is more coming. I think we will continue to score. I'm not confident they can do what the Texans did and start bringing pressure. We would skin them.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Seeing Jackson play today shows the importance of a veteran QB. Maybe Mahomes will show the same first time playoffs nerves.

Lamar Jackson looked terrible. I can't believe they have their future tied to him. They may have to draft a Kirk Cousins type guy next year to go along with him. Jackson has no idea what he's doing in the pocket.

10 hours ago, krunk said:

Lamar Jackson looked terrible. I can't believe they have their future tied to him. They may have to draft a Kirk Cousins type guy next year to go along with him. Jackson has no idea what he's doing in the pocket.

That's what I was thinking too. Jackson is riding the wave of teams that are unfamiliar with him. That team is going nowhere next season. You can't win games when your QB is rushing 700+ yards. Eventually he's going to take too many hits and becomes the other guy on that Raven's bench, RG3.

19 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

You are giving KC's defense a lot of credit and this indy offense not much at all... you do realize that right?

No, CS......Has nothing to do with KC's defense at all.

if Mahomes completes 70% of his passes (assuming he throws a lot more than 10 passes) , they will win..... We have to limit him …...

We have to get him to throw the ball away or to us...or we need the situation (his first playoff game) to get  to him.

They dont have a lot of long extended drives..They score quickly.

They have better (and healthier) receivers than we do

If he's 30 of 40 for his usual 300 yards and 3 TDs, we have a major problem.

But he has never faced us...…..so he may not get his usual 70% (its actually 66%)