Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Gameplanning for KC

ColtStrong2013

I have the utmost confidence and trust in Frank Reich putting together a winning gameplan against this Chiefs team. It was obviously there last night, and first half execution was damn near flawless. Second half came down to not executing and extending drives on offense that would have led to a major blowout. 

I would think the biggest aspect of the gameplan would be to establish the run against this 31st in the league run defense (yards per carry- bottom 10 total yards) and control the clock. Their offense is obviously concerning, although much less after last night. We have to continue to keep the offense in front of us, and in this case, force an MVP level qb to drive the field. If we can limit big plays on defense (one turnover is all I ask for), and control the LOS on offense, running the football well, extending drives, finishing with touchdowns, we will have a great shot in this one. 

Thoughts on gameplanning this week? Matchup concerns?

6 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I have the utmost confidence and trust in Frank Reich putting together a winning gameplan against this Chiefs team. It was obviously there last night, and first half execution was damn near flawless. Second half came down to not executing and extending drives on offense that would have led to a major blowout. 

I would think the biggest aspect of the gameplan would be to establish the run against this 31st in the league run defense (yards per carry- bottom 10 total yards) and control the clock. Their offense is obviously concerning, although much less after last night. We have to continue to keep the offense in front of us, and in this case, force an MVP level qb to drive the field. If we can limit big plays on defense (one turnover is all I ask for), and control the LOS on offense, running the football well, extending drives, finishing with touchdowns, we will have a great shot in this one. 

We should be able to score versus chiefs the question  is can our defense slow them down enough to win. Hill and kelce are match up nightmares. If we are lucky mahomies will come out nervous and overthrow them in the first half. We need a td on almost every drive. Run the ball to keep it away from Mahomes and focus on short to medium passes to to move chains and eat clock

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I would think the biggest aspect of the gameplan would be to establish the run against this 31st in the league run defense (yards per carry- bottom 10 total yards) and control the clock. Their offense is obviously concerning, although much less after last night. We have to continue to keep the offense in front of us, and in this case, force an MVP level qb to drive the field. If we can limit big plays on defense (one turnover is all I ask for), and control the defensive line on offense, running the football well, extending drives, finishing with touchdowns, we will have a great shot in this one. 

Good thoughts here. My concerns are Kelce Kelce and more Kelce. I think he is the Colts mismatch problem. T. Hill is a concern if we blow a coverage but we’ve seemed to do pretty well with speed guys, worse against possession type guys, you know, those 5-7 yard catches over and over. 

I think the KC team has a solid oline as well and that will cause some concern from our defense because we need to get in this qb’s head that he can’t stand and survey, have to make him throw before set and feel pressure a lot. I’m super glad they don’t have Hunt as their RB anymore because he was tough. I don’t know who their RB is now so that should be good. 

The other big big thing we have is they have a week to be off, read all their stats, how great Mahomes is at making throws behind his back, eyes closed and that he is super awesome. All those talk shows of how awesome this KC team has been can get into their heads if not focused by coaching and team leaders. Mahomes has been just a highlight reel all year and will likely. E the MVP of the league but this week off can allow egos to grow bigger and complacency to creep in, lose a bit of momentum in the competitive spirit and just mess with timing and feel of the game. It’s upside is that injured guys get to heal up while our guys have to keep getting through pain. 

They also have have a massive advantage in a very loud and crazy fan base in their own stadium. Maybe we can knock that down if we score in a few possessions in a row and get a couple stops on them like the Texans game. That will dull them for a bit but that fan base won’t quit unless they know it’s out of reach. Regardless, this game is going to be a tough match up but I still point to Kelce being the X factor to a win. We stop him, we win, he goes off and we will likely lose imho. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

noooo idea lol they are tough. so many weapons on offense.. just control the clock with mack and sustain looong drives.. perhaps mahomes will mess up once

With our defense, Mahomes doesn't have to mess up. He could complete every pass, and we can still get the ball back by virtue of keeping receivers in front, stopping their run, and even forcing fumbles in the open field. Mahomes can play a perfect game and it wouldn't matter if everyone else comes out flat off the bye week. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

Good thoughts here. My concerns are Kelce Kelce and more Kelce. I think he is the Colts mismatch problem. T. Hill is a concern if we blow a coverage but we’ve seemed to do pretty well with speed guys, worse against possession type guys, you know, those 5-7 yard catches over and over. 

I think the KC team has a solid oline as well and that will cause some concern from our defense because we need to get in this qb’s head that he can’t stand and survey, have to make him throw before set and feel pressure a lot. I’m super glad they don’t have Hunt as their RB anymore because he was tough. I don’t know who their RB is now so that should be good. 

The other big big thing we have is they have a week to be off, read all their stats, how great Mahomes is at making throws behind his back, eyes closed and that he is super awesome. All those talk shows of how awesome this KC team has been can get into their heads if not focused by coaching and team leaders. Mahomes has been just a highlight reel all year and will likely. E the MVP of the league but this week off can allow egos to grow bigger and complacency to creep in, lose a bit of momentum in the competitive spirit and just mess with timing and feel of the game. It’s upside is that injured guys get to heal up while our guys have to keep getting through pain. 

They also have have a massive advantage in a very loud and crazy fan base in their own stadium. Maybe we can knock that down if we score in a few possessions in a row and get a couple stops on them like the Texans game. That will dull them for a bit but that fan base won’t quit unless they know it’s out of reach. Regardless, this game is going to be a tough match up but I still point to Kelce being the X factor to a win. We stop him, we win, he goes off and we will likely lose imho. 

Is it a "massive advantage" though? If we come out calm, collective and confident from last night and a good week of preparation with silent count and communicating well in this atmosphere, do they really have a major advantage? Could it work against them by getting them caught up in the emotion of the stadium and situation?  

If we go into KC and beat them and our D plays well, I could c Eberflus leaving. Everyone is watching the Colts.  They e getting so much love from everyone.  U don't think GM's r watching this play out? Someone will scoop him up. Honestly, if I was the owner and/or gm, I would go after him based on his achievements and what is on the market.

1 minute ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Is it a "massive advantage" though? If we come out calm, collective and confident from last night and a good week of preparation with silent count and communicating well in this atmosphere, do they really have a major advantage? Could it work against them by getting them caught up in the emotion of the stadium and situation?  

After seeing Luck and how calm he was and never flinched last night I don’t think the crowd will bother us.

I'm confident in our coaches. Reich has called some solid games lately on offense.

I feel he's going to plan this the same way Phi planned for NE. Not so much trying to run trick plays or anything, but he'll have guys constantly shifting and/or in motion. 

• Like 1

its more about execution than game plan.   hopefully we can run it well and setup play action on offense.

everyone knows what we do on defense, we need a big game from the secondary to slow them down.  they are going to score, hopefully we can limit it to FGs

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

That's exactly right, we win by long extended drives eating up clock featuring the run and short passing game.  As of now if there's a knock on Mahomes it's playing within the construct of the offense and taking major chances (which he gets away with) with the football.  IMO, if we limit their possesions and force him to be patient then I like our chances.   Our D style plays to our favor in this one but they have massive offensive talent and Andy Reid is no fool.  We will need our safeties to play exceptionally well and our OLine to dominate!

8 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

We won’t know until it happens. The one thing you can say for KC that you can’t say about the Texans, KC is a football crazed city for decades, Texans haven’t had that resumé built up. Going to be fun to watch and hopefully we can pull it off. 

To win, basically we need to give this offense, the peyton manning treatment in the 2000s. We need to limit their big plays number one. Number two, we need to make Mahomes uncomfortable and force him to make mistakes. Number three, we need to control the clock and limit their possessions.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

CS..Let's start at the start.

KC averages 35 points a game.....No.1 in the NFL..

We have jumped to leads of 14-0 and 21-0 the last 2 weeks.

If we win the toss, do we want the ball?  Because they do.

Edited by oldunclemark

Double Tyreke Hill and let Kelce beat us. Kelce is more then capable of doing so. But I rather have him beat us then the one big play ability of Hill. One catch can go for 70-80 yards with him and a TD. All the reason more why the offense has to play ALL four quarters. A 21-0 lead on the Chiefs can evaporate just like that with their big play, quick strike ability. I honestly don't expect neither team's D to play well in this one. I guess its whoever can score the most points. And right now that favors KC. 

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

We should be able to score versus chiefs the question  is can our defense slow them down enough to win. Hill and kelce are match up nightmares. If we are lucky mahomies will come out nervous and overthrow them in the first half. We need a td on almost every drive. Run the ball to keep it away from Mahomes and focus on short to medium passes to to move chains and eat clock

Exactly right.....lets not get carried away......

We cant stop them if they get 12-15 possessions..

They can neutralize our speed with motion and misdirection...

Nobody in our division does that..we haven't seen it

We need to limit their possessions with runs and short passes.

The left side of our line can push them around..unless they bring 8 guys up front/  I want to go no huddle on them..but not necessarily to throw it.

And when we get the lead....run the ball until they stop it

I think we are going to get a heavy dose of Nyheim next week. With not even a look against the Texans and he was playing so well as of late. If you look at the Gordons and Yeldons and Whites (oh my) this year KC has a hard time with ball catcthing rbs out of the backfield and they have to gamplan against Mack.

6 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

CS..Let's start at the start.

KC averages 35 points a game.....No.1 in the NFL..

We have jumped to leads of 14-0 and 21-0 the last 2 weeks.

If we win the toss, do we want the ball?  Because they do.

I want the ball to start the second half so I’d defer

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

This isn't Tennessee.

If you give KC the ball to start the game, you'll likely be trailing before you get a chance..

Is that really what you want to do?

It is what I want to do.  That’s why I said it.  And I’m going to tell my d that I have so much faith in them their starting the game if we have the choice.  

Kc isn’t guaranteed to score on their first drive.   And if they do our o can respond just fine. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

With our defense, Mahomes doesn't have to mess up. He could complete every pass, and we can still get the ball back by virtue of keeping receivers in front, stopping their run, and even forcing fumbles in the open field. Mahomes can play a perfect game and it wouldn't matter if everyone else comes out flat off the bye week. 

Uh, ,no...

If Mahomes completes 70% of his passes and plays his best game, we wont win and it wont be close..

4 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

This isn't Tennessee.

If you give KC the ball to start the game, you'll likely be trailing before you get a chance..

4 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

This isn't Tennessee.

That’s my thought as well. If we could score first it changes the game. If they score first that stadium will be rocking.If I have the option I take the ball first. I bet KC wouldn’t defer if they won. Let’s keep the defense off the field as much as we can.

• Like 1

Just now, Fluke_33 said:

It is what I want to do.  That’s why I said it.  And I’m going to tell my d that I have so much faith in them their starting the game if we have the choice.  

Kc isn’t guaranteed to score on their first drive.   And if they do our o can respond just fine. 

You haven't watched KC much have you...?

We do not match up well with them because of Kelce

I have faith in our offense and I want the lead we've had the last 2 weeks..

I'd also like to take 5-6 minutes off the clock.

Give me the ball first:fb:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

That’s my thought as well. If we could score first it changes the game. If they score first that stadium will be rocking.If I have the option I take the ball first. I bet KC wouldn’t defer if they won. Let’s keep the defense off the field as much as we can.

That's what Im taking about, Chloe.

I'd bet they will take the ball if they win the toss....and I don't want to be down 3-0 or 7-0 before we even touch the ball.

They have scored at least 26 in every game...…...you are exactly right about keeping out defense off the field

..and I want the lead before they even touch the ball once..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

I have only seen highlights. I understand they have a great o.  I want the chance to have the ball at the end of the 1/2 then again to start the second half.  

Even if they score core on the first drive we can play clock control thereafter.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

I have only seen highlights. I understand they have a great o.  I want the chance to have the ball at the end of the 1/2 then again to start the second half.  

Even if they score core on the first drive we can play clock control thereafter.  

I'm with you. That's the New England special. It's probably the only time you're allowed 2 possessions in a row if you have it last. Also if you're winning you can pad that a little.

Who cares if KC scores first? They're going to score at some point anyway.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, IinD said:

I'm with you. That's the New England special. It's probably the only time you're allowed 2 possessions in a row if you have it last. Also if you're winning you can pad that a little.

Who cares if KC scores first? They're going to score at some point anyway.

Exactly.  If they get the ball first and score or get it after us then score.  Still the same.  If we know we are getting the ball in the second half we control the clock to get a possession before the end of the first half. 

10 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Not sure I agree with you about matching up with Kelce.  No doubt, he’ll be an issue, but we’ve pretty much shut down every teams #1 receiver in this run.  

I agree, it’s probably going to come down to who has the ball last.  But, just like us, how are they going to match up with Ebron?

1 minute ago, Fluke_33 said:

Exactly.  If they get the ball first and score or get it after us then score.  Still the same.  If we know we are getting the ball in the second half we control the clock to get a possession before the end of the first half. 

Yeah I'm shocked people forget that's how NE always swings a game or gets back into it. You give it to them at 2 minute warning, they score to take the lead and right after the half they score again and you went from up 7 to down 7 before you even touch the ball in the second half.

• Thanks 1

Has there really been any one single player through game 7 and on who has really burned our defense? Seems to me each time we have faced a serious threat (Elliot, Barkley, Hopkins, etc) our defense has more than basically contained or essentially shut them down from what they do against most other teams.

im not defensively worried about this team with KC, I’m more worried about if our offense can score and take time off the clock the entirety of the game. We can’t put up 21 in the first half and put up 0 in the second half against a team like KC. Just my opinion of course.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Offense:  Beat them up.  They have the 32nd ranked defense.  Have sustainable drives to eat clock.  Try to avoid quick 3andouts and quick scoring drives.  The longer we stay on the field, the less chances KC gets to score.

Defense:  We can't let it turn into a shootout.  If it does, the better offense will win and that is by far KC.  Get pressure on Mahomes.  If they do score, make sure we win the TOP battle.  Need to limit KC's offense.

Pass rush scares me the most.  We are just so inconsistent with the four man rush and our blitz package yesterday was quite pedestrian.  We can't let Mahomes survey the field and have the time to make big plays.  

We have to limit his time and force him to dink and dunk down the field. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Do they really have the last place defense in the league?

A buddy of mine who's a fan of an AFC West team had basically said they're 'trash'. 

No idea if he's right, but he's a logical fan who isn't into exaggerating and he said they're bad for long stretches of a game and it's the O that basically outscores everyone.

• Like 1

How are they going to stop us?  Their D is terrible.  People say we have to score more than 21.  Well, 21 vs. Houston probably equals 35 vs. KC.  We just played two of the best defenses in the league the past two weeks and pretty much had our way.  

I think we're capable of winning this game in a number of ways.  We can win a physical game, but if it turns crazy, Luck could win it 45-44, too.  

Just play our game - win the line of scrimmage and execute.

23 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Not sure I agree with you about matching up with Kelce.  No doubt, he’ll be an issue, but we’ve pretty much shut down every teams #1 receiver in this run.  

I agree, it’s probably going to come down to who has the ball last.  But, just like us, how are they going to match up with Ebron?

Sort of (Sterling Shepard comes to mind). But both Cook and Engram had good games...and those are the two TEs the Colts have faced in months that are anywhere close to what Kelce is.

Nobody matches up with Kelce...so they are going to have give him a lot of extra attention.